fabric to re-cover dining chairs. HELP!

(18 Posts)

I have ikea dinig chairs with cream cusions/ padded seat bit. They are looking a bit shabby after the dc effect. I could wash them but I'd rather have a change and patterned fabric. i'm thinking of something in red/ yellow in a orla kierly (sp) type pattern. have these mugs which is my pattern inspiration.

What do I look for in a fabric?
Where can i buy it?

TIA smile

vintageteacups Wed 06-Jul-11 14:53:50

Have you looked on ebay - big lot Orla Kiely stuff there.

It needs to be hard wearing and easily washable for dining room chairs.

vintageteacups Wed 06-Jul-11 14:55:32
vintageteacups Wed 06-Jul-11 14:58:22

Or something with a Scandinavian design works well with Orla designs...

this sort of thing

The orla kierly fabric ive seen online isn't the right colours.

The Scandinavian site looks good though.

How do I know if a fabric is tough enough?

vintageteacups Wed 06-Jul-11 17:55:43

Well, if you think about what some seat pads are like (normal cotton mix etc) then I'd have thought something like a curtain material/upholstery material would be very hard wearing.

mollymole Wed 06-Jul-11 18:37:55

if you tell the retailer that you are recovering furniture they should, by law,insist on it being fire treated - this osts more - so be careful what you say
i have used sanderson linnen/cotton blend ro recover dining chair seats and it is very hard wearing
you can tell what the toughness of the fabric is by asking about the 'rub test' score - the higher the better , if there is none then it is not really suitable - if the retailer does not know about the 'rub test' go to somewhere more reputable

mollymole Wed 06-Jul-11 18:38:29

sorry about typos above - think it still makes sense though !!

SeamanStaines Wed 06-Jul-11 18:42:08

I recently recovered our dining room chairs with this Ikea fabric. I used a smidge over 1m, it covered 4 chairs and cost £4.40!

vintageteacups Wed 06-Jul-11 19:08:00

Seaman- nice but too much pink and blue for me.

Vintage- I can't get that link to work. What was it called?

Fwiw My kitchen is yellow with terracotta tiles and White cupboards and light wood worktops. The accessories are red.

noddyholder Thu 07-Jul-11 09:02:55

Get any fabric you like and then scotchguard it

vintageteacups Thu 07-Jul-11 10:15:30

Hi - it worked yesterday but not today - sorry.

Go to sanderson homepage and type in miro to the search box and it's the first red tone fabric square on the page that comes up.

Vintage- that's almost perfect. In fact if I can see it in the flesh then I'm going to order it. (must check price before I fall I love with it!) smile

vintageteacups Thu 07-Jul-11 12:43:17

there a store finder where it's sold on that site I think

think it might be a bit too velvet-y. i've just spotted a picture of it on a cushion on their website.
something like that but printed would be fab. the search goes on...

Well I now MUST recover them as ds has just done a leaky nappy on one as he climbed down. (refusing to wear trousers!hmm)
doubt I'll get the stain out properly.
Better make some decisions.

sallycinnamon77 Sun 22-Sep-13 06:19:59

I bought some great fabric dining chairs from www.capitaldiningchairs.co.uk I looked around for ages for some right fabric that would match with my carpet and curtains, just happened to stumble on some chairs that were like a floral design and were perfect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now