We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Where can I buy Cath Kidston type fabric, cheaper than the real deal?

(19 Posts)
Tobermory Thu 14-Oct-10 15:17:43

Looking to buy a couple of metres in 2/3 complimentary girlie fabrics. I like the floral/ gingham prettiness of Cath Kidston bit not keen on her fabrics. Anyone know any great alternatives?

Esmee Thu 14-Oct-10 18:12:47

You can often find similar styles on eBay in various lengths, or if you happen to live near to a fabric outlet you can really pick up a bargain! I think there's a designer called Clarke & Clarke that does florals/ginghams similar to Cath Kidston's style. Hope this helps!

ANTagony Thu 14-Oct-10 18:14:21
tutu100 Thu 14-Oct-10 18:17:01

I found some very Cath Kidstonesque floral print fabric at The Range. It was £8 a metre and looked and felt really good. It was quite thick cotton though so might not be suitable for what you want it for.

Marlinspike Thu 14-Oct-10 18:18:03

Ikea is sometimes quite good

tutu100 Thu 14-Oct-10 18:18:27

Or here if you can be bothered to search through their range www.fabricland.co.uk.

tyler80 Thu 14-Oct-10 18:38:37

st albans market on a saturday!

soccerwidow Thu 14-Oct-10 19:25:30

I have a fabricland near me _ most fabrics are less than £5 a metre.

Look around for a little independent old fashioned habadashery shop or market stall.

Tobermory Thu 14-Oct-10 21:20:26

Hmm, that's why you should always proof read your messages. It should read 'but not keen on her prices'!
Thanks for the recommendations, wil have a look. The fabric is for footmuff/ hood.

Heartsease Thu 14-Oct-10 21:29:33

Oh wowy Tyler80, I love both those sites (and have never found them before). Thanks!

dizzyday07 Fri 15-Oct-10 00:52:27

I use Favourite Fabrics on Ebay and they sell some lovely fabrics

MumsieNonna Fri 15-Oct-10 10:17:20

Fab sites tyler80!

on ebay type in globaltex fabric - it's kinda CK -y, ditto clarke and clarke.

tyler80 Fri 15-Oct-10 13:09:28

I like contemporary cloth too but that is US based but will ship internationally.

I'm afraid I've no idea how these price up in comparison to cath kidson now I've seen the edit about price

Tobermory Fri 15-Oct-10 14:26:24

Have been to a fabric shop this morning and come home with some samples of lovely globaltex stuff for curtains for DD room. Just trying to decide if the fabric is suitable for my original purpose.

Quiltingmama Fri 15-Oct-10 19:08:29

Favourite Fabrics on ebay - dead cheap and great quality.

Quiltingmama Fri 15-Oct-10 19:18:15

Just seen dizzy's message above - doh! They are great though.

I like Amy Butler fabrics, they are only £10 per meter for the lightweight coton.

What did you want to use the fabric for? John Lewis has a good range of pretty fabrics that are not CK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now