28 week growth scan requested but no reason given?

(10 Posts)
Pops1985 Tue 19-Jul-16 14:49:51

Hi,
Not sure if I am in the right place, but I had my 20 week scan last week and as far as I was aware everything was ok, the only thing on the report that seems small is the head circumference but the baby was laying at a weird angle so I was trying not to worry. Anyway, I went to see my consultant yesterday (separate BP issue) and she looked through my scan report and said she was going to request a growth scan for 28 weeks. I didn't ask any questions (so frustrated with myself!) and then today when I called to make the appointment the receptionist was really rude and said that the consultants notes were too vague and they will only perform it if there is a good reason so she needs to check with consultant why she wanted it... so now I have to wait... has anyone else had a growth scan requested after they thought everything seemed ok at their 20 week scan? Very confused....

FuzzyOwl Tue 19-Jul-16 14:54:02

It is usually just a precaution or done because previous babies have been big/small. If your consultant thought something was wrong, you would know and you would probably have an earlier scan as well.

Jodie242 Wed 20-Jul-16 09:46:13

Is this your first pregnancy? If you had a big or small baby last time then they will monitor the size of this one. My daughter was only 5lb 7oz so I'm having growth scans to check everything OK size-wise x

Pops1985 Wed 20-Jul-16 10:29:19

Yes this is my first baby, I am higher risk due to a slightly high BMI so maybe they are just being cautious. Hopefully nothing is actually wrong, I think you are right fuzzy, if there was something wrong, they would have said something x

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 20-Jul-16 10:30:49

Raised BP can affect growth.

MadameJosephine Thu 21-Jul-16 20:01:46

Growth scans are recommended for high BMI as it makes the measurement of fundal height with the tape measure less accurate. I think at our trust its only women with BMI over 35 but some trusts the cut off is 30

Cyclewidow46 Wed 24-Aug-16 00:10:44

I agree with Madamejoseph .
In most Trusts growth scans are requested due to a high BMI due to the difficulty/ accuracy of obtaining fundal height measurement.
Raised BP is also a common indication for a growth scan.

CuppaTandCake Mon 05-Sep-16 06:24:14

As the others have said, raised BMI and raised BP would require a 28/40 growth scan. Raised BP can cause growth restriction and >BMI makes measuring the fundus accurately v challenging

HandbagFan Sat 15-Oct-16 10:51:20

I had a growth scan at 32 weeks because I'm fat. DS was on the 50th %ile and absolutely fine. It was nice to get the extra scan! Nothing to worry about.

Katylou84 Tue 18-Oct-16 19:01:14

I have high blood pressure since pregnancy (& raised BMI) and have been told growth scans will be at 28, 32 and 36 weeks. Standard procedure as high BP can lead to small babies. Hopefully this is the reason for you but I'm sorry that it hasn't been explained to you well x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now