Early Harmony or wait for NHS?

(10 Posts)
jollyroger2 Thu 02-Jun-16 13:01:33

Hi

I'm lucky to be at Kings for ante-natal care, and they offer the Harmony test for more than risk of 1:1000.

My dilemma is whether to wait for the nuchal (and hopefully Harmony at Kings) or opt for early private Harmony testing, which I did with DD (now aged 2.5 years).

I'm currently 8+5 weeks, and wait for it... 44 years old. Was just about to book Harmony at FMC but have discovered today that clinic is closed for one week in June (along with Kings department) for US conference, meaning I won't get results of Harmony for 3 weeks. Have managed to bring NHS scan forward to 11+6, and could wait for Harmony after that. I'm worried that results at pretty much 14 weeks is late and would rather know sooner.

Has anyone used The Birth Company on Harley Street for Harmony?

Advice on waiting or not? I would rather know asap but also keen to see what nuchal scan reading and bloods would show, as if high risk would from bloods (not harmony) would consider CVS too. Worry Kings might be reluctant to scan me and do bloods if they knowing had Harmony (had to make a fuss for that with DD after negative harming result.

Advice really appreciated. Anyone my age out there?! Or anyone with experience of Kings Harmony? I've felt pretty dreadful all through this pregnancy and think I might have a bad feeling about it. Natural conception (surprise, we'd given up) but low egg reserve diagnosed even before DD three years ago...

Thanks in advance for any insights!

vallinnapod Thu 02-Jun-16 20:56:14

Depends - helpful I know wink

I am 12+3 and still have another week until my nuchal scan. I already know I am low risk for all 3 trisomies as I had the SAFE test at 10+3. It's my 3rd PG, I am 35 now and I knew if I had come back high risk, or even higher risk than my first 2 PGs the wait for NIPT would be almost unbearable.

I had the Harmony test at FMC with my DD 2 years ago but chose the SAFE test this time as according the the literature the accuracy is better plus the turnaround is 7 days. I went to UDS on Harley Street. I was meant to find out the sex but they forgot to order that part of the test - which whilst frustrating was minor when you get told you are low risk.

jollyroger2 Fri 03-Jun-16 14:39:48

Thank you so much for your reply! That is so helpful. I have actually now booked Harmony at The Birth Company on Harley Street, which does a turnaround in 3-10 days, as it's processed in London (which had me a bit worried, wanting it to be done in the US labs for reliability!). I will now look into the SAFE one too (not heard of it).

Either way, I decided I couldn't wait til 2 weeks after nuchal scan. At my age, it will be inevitable, so best to go ahead for peace of mind...

Grateful for your reply - thank you!

jollyroger2 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:31:12

Can I just ask you again, vallinapod, did you choose SAFE over Harmony because it is better st detecting all three abnormalities (ie better than Harmony at Trisomy 13?) as well as faster turnaround? I'm trying to see online if there are any other advantages. It seems that it doesn't test for Dec chromosome issues unlike harmony and panorama, but I'm not sure what that is? Turners?

Many thanks

jollyroger2 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:31:43

Sorry, sex chromosome issues...

vallinnapod Fri 03-Jun-16 22:44:42

I was told the SAFE test was over 99% accurate for the 3 trisomies. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't test for sex chromosome issues as I was told it was 'only' 97% reliable for sex. I believe Harmony tests for Turner's and Kleinfelters too.

I did originally pic the SAFE test for the quick turnaround as I didn't realise they now process the Harmony test in the UK now. If I am honest they all seem much the much.

EagleRay Sun 05-Jun-16 13:58:00

Hi - I was recently in v similar position to you - 44, surprisingly pregnant and had a 2yo!

Harmony wasn't available when I had my first baby and had the test this time around at 10w for peace of mind.

All was clear which was a great relief, but we have subsequently discovered DD1 has a rare genetic condition and newborn DD2 may have it too. Thankfully it's relatively minor compared to other conditions though.

Good luck with the testing and your pregnancy!

cantgetanickname Mon 06-Jun-16 21:45:12

I'm not in London so can't advise about specific clinics but just wanted to say I'd definitely recommend the early Harmony.

I am 41 and recently had Harmony test at 10 weeks. I had blood taken on the Friday and was given results the following Wednesday so it was really quick. Devastatingly the test showed 99% likelihood of trisomy 21 which was confirmed by cvs the following week. Although this has been awful, I am so glad we got the harmony testing. I had a termination at 12 weeks. If we'd waited for the NHS testing, it would have been a few weeks further on which I can only imagine would've made things even more traumatic than it was, not to mention more difficult to conceal.

I hope you're treating has a different outcome to mine and all is well.

Britnyspears Tue 07-Jun-16 08:52:53

Hi
I'm late 30s and did Harmony at 10 weeks as I could not wait a second longer. I went to a local clinic, found via google. Not as swanky as the Fetal clinic, but they did the job. I'd definately recommend it. Think it was Ultra sound direct, they have clinics all over. Good luck.

jollyroger2 Tue 07-Jun-16 11:57:52

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I hadn't checked the post for a day or so, so apologies for the delay.

I'm so very sorry, cantgetanickname, that you had such a devastating result, and I really appreciate you coming on here to share your experience. It's very kind of you.

Thanks, EagleRay, and I wish you the very best for both your daughters.

I think your right, Britny, re going anywhere! I'll have a look at Ultrasound Direct too.

Many thanks to all of you. Am definitely going to test early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now