waiting for CVS

(17 Posts)
LBNM19 Sun 29-May-16 20:14:56

I'm 8 weeka pregnant and waiting for a CVS test, my oldest son has a genetic condtion and we no we have a 1 in 4 chance of passing on. He is severely disabled and we have decided not to continue with the pregnancy if it comes back postive for ha condtion. I'm worried sick. We have been through this once before and my younger son does not have the same condtion.

I've just got a feeling it's going to be bad news.

Not really sure why I'm posting, I just wondered if anyone else has been through the same?

StrawberryLeaf Sun 29-May-16 20:47:20

Hello, yes I've been through the same, eldest child died from a genetic condition (also 1:4). I have 2 healthy children (who we had the cvs with), I also made the decision to end a pregnancy between them as the baby had the same illness.

Waiting is very hard, fraught with nerves about the actual cvs test and then the result. My results take about 2-3 weeks (due to the type of condition) and it's awful, every day is hard to get through. But I got through each time and in out the other side, I won't be doing it again.

It's so hard, it feels like your life is on hold waiting and not knowing where you will be in a few weeks. It takes the enjoyment out of early pregnancy for me.

I hope it goes well and the results are good. flowers

LBNM19 Sun 29-May-16 21:44:27

Thank you for replying strawberryleaf. I'm really sorry to hear about your child passing away. My oldest sons condtion is life limiting.

I do feel like my life is on hold, it's not when the baby is born at the moment it's if the baby is born, if I'm pregnant then and it's horrible. Xx

AprilSkies44 Sun 29-May-16 21:49:56

i was going to have the CVS because of my age(44) but ive decided to have the serenity or similar -there are several (nifty, harmony, serenity) just waiting for my scan to confirm my dates. is that an option for you? i know it costs but its non invasive and seems very accurate. it can be done at 10 weeks. i just want to know if everything is ok. i worry id not fall pregnant again but dp and i also are of the opinion we wont continue if there is something genetically wrong. its a worry. its his first child. it would be my last.

LBNM19 Sun 29-May-16 22:18:21

No unfortunately not. I did look into it. My son has a very rare condtion he cannot walk or sit up etc.

Hope everything goes ok when you can have the test xx

AprilSkies44 Sun 29-May-16 22:22:07

thank you LB, and i will keep everything crossed for you and the CVS. i hate waiting.

KittyandTeal Tue 31-May-16 18:35:43

Gosh how hard for you, and a long wait.

I have no experience except of a fairly late termination for medical reasons. I absolutely understand not wanting to continue a pregnancy with a baby who will be severely disabled and with a limited life expectancy.

Fingers crossed for you xx

LBNM19 Fri 03-Jun-16 17:11:44

Thank you. It's all booked now. Having it in the 27th of June. X

KittyandTeal Fri 03-Jun-16 21:05:25

Good luck. Glad it's booked

StrawberryLeaf Fri 03-Jun-16 21:11:05

Good luck, it's torture waiting flowers

LBNM19 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:42:19

Hi, I got the results back from my CVS today and baby is fine feeling very relieved and happy xx

MadameJosephine Fri 08-Jul-16 23:48:59

Great news! Congratulations flowers

AprilSkies44 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:52:31

thats wonderful news OP. congratulations.

KittyandTeal Sat 09-Jul-16 12:53:33

Wonderful news. I wish you a boring rest of your pregnancy flowers

Summerwood1 Sat 09-Jul-16 21:48:43

So happy for you😀

AprilSkies44 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:35:16

i wasnt so lucky. hope the rest of your pregnancy is carefree. xxx

LBNM19 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:56:05

Thank you everyone and I'm really sorry to hear that April Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now