Declining further tests after high downs risk

(7 Posts)
GreenSpaghetti Fri 08-Apr-16 14:53:02

I've just had a call following my 12 week scan (done at 12.3w) to say I am at high downs risk. My Nuchal Fold measurement was 1.5mm and my overall risk is 1:114. So not crazily high but still a worry. That said, my gut reaction is not to do any further tests, and that really is just a gut reaction. Has anyone else had a high downs risk result and not done any further tests? Will the 20 week scan give me any further information?

Mookbark Fri 08-Apr-16 15:12:14

Yes, we had a higher risk (1:34, I think) with DS3 but decided not to had CVS or amino because we wouldn't have done anything about it anyway and we were worried about the miscarriage rate. Had a more detailed scan at 20 weeks which didn't show any features of Downs. When he was born, he was fine.
I think it is a very individual decision. thanks for whatever you decide.

GreenSpaghetti Fri 08-Apr-16 16:29:17

Thanks Mook. It is our 3rd too. What were the features they looked for at the anomaly scan? Do you know?

BingoBonkers Fri 08-Apr-16 18:40:01

I had a high downs at 12 weeks and went for the Harmony test. The reason being so to be best prepared for when the baby (also nbr3) arrived rather than it be a shock.

BingoBonkers Fri 08-Apr-16 18:40:32

Our main indicator was no nasal bone present.

daluze Fri 08-Apr-16 19:47:20

20 weeks scan will look at additional markers, but it won't be conclusive yes or no. Some babies with Down syndrome do not have any markers on ultrasound.
If you are unsure whether to do further testing, I suggest to narrow down the reasons why you may or may not want to di it. You may feel that the risk does not justify invasive testing and miscarriage risk, but can look into non-invasive tests from blood (although except for few top hospitals, they are mostly available only privately).
Wishing you all the best whatever you choose to do.

GreenSpaghetti Sat 09-Apr-16 09:19:33

Thank you. We've decided to go with the Harmony test, hopefully to avoid 6 months of uncertainty without doing anything too obtrusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now