Confused! Baby's abdomen measuring small.

(6 Posts)
Squaffle Wed 03-Feb-16 09:59:59

I know there have been other threads on this but couldn't find a recent one. I am 33+6 with my first baby and very confused!

Went to hospital yesterday with reduced movements, it all turned out to be fine: baby was practically kicking the monitors off my bump! They were happy with the trace and sent me for a scan just to be triple-sure everything was ok. Hospital computer system was down, so they did hand written notes during the scan but said everything looked perfect.

Then got a call later in the day to say they'd input the results when the computer system came back on, and that the baby's abdomen was measuring smaller than they'd like it to be at this stage. They weren't worried enough to make me go back in but have booked me in for a growth scan at 35 weeks.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried? They were very casual about it on the phone and I was at work, so I just accepted the information without asking any questions!

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 03-Feb-16 10:02:26

Hi, don't worry this happened to me.I went back for another scan and everything was fine. I'm cuddling my 8 week old right now, he's on the small side, but perfect.

Squaffle Thu 11-Feb-16 15:35:52

Thank you and congratulations on your baby smile

I've been so lucky to have chilled-out, complication-free pregnancy so far, and am sure that everyone starts to worry at this stage (am now 34 weeks), but my mind is in overdrive having read an article today about stillbirth and how it can be prevented if the first signs of growth problems are not ignored. I have just under 2 weeks before the growth scan, should I make a fuss before then?

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Thu 11-Feb-16 15:47:21

Did they do dopplers? good dopplers would be reassuring as to placenta function.

Abdominal circumfrence is the first thing that goes when growth slows but measurements are very subjective. If dopplers and CTG are normal and movements are good then you are likely safe waiting but if reduced movements continue then go in urgently.

There is an excellent course on the fetal medicine foundation website on the signs of stillbirth and when they occur which is very useful. We had a 54% chance of stillbirth between 20 weeks and term so I looked into this in detail. What I can say even with that high risk and the abdominal circumference dropping off from very early in pregnancy, we did not have a stillbirth and got to 39 weeks. Stillbirth is still unlikely and movements are the best sign of wellbeing.

Squaffle Fri 12-Feb-16 13:16:55

Thank you very much, that's really reassuring and I'm so glad everything was ok with you after what must have been a terrifying time.

They did dopplers as well as testing the blood flow through the placenta and cord: everything was fine. It was just the measurement of the abdomen that had them slightly concerned. Movements have been fine ever since we went in.

I think I'll be ok to wait until the appointment and of course will go in if movement reduces again. There is a family history of stillbirth (on DP's side) and it seems to be in the news a lot at the moment so perhaps that's why I'm a bit sensitive about it.

sephineee Fri 12-Feb-16 13:20:35

I have growth scans and dopplers all through pregnancy due to a blood condition. DD2's 'small' abdomen was a cause for concern at various points. She popped out as round as a little ball and totally healthy.

Keep monitoring movements, look after yourself and if you have any concerns at all go straight back in. Otherwise wait for the growth scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now