1:34 chance of Downs

(56 Posts)
Sahkoora Thu 17-Apr-14 09:02:32

Had 12 (though was 13+1) week scan on Monday and got an NT of 3.6. They rushed bloods through and yesterday I was told I have a 1:34 chance of Downs. I'm 36.

Hospital trying to get me a quick appointment for a CVS, but thanks to the bank holiday, it's looking as though I will have to wait until I'm 15 weeks for an amnio as I will have to travel to London.

I need to find out fast, as DH and I have decided we would terminate if the test comes back positive. DS1 has ASD and we have had hideous struggles getting him anything. As parents we've had no support, and the though of caring for a severely disabled child for the rest of our lives is too much.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar odds and also what the tests are like? I hear varying reports about it hurting etc.

Poshsausage Thu 01-May-14 15:36:50

Yes def don't go on your own! I couldn't have done it without my husband and I thought of our wedding day during uncomfortable moments and it helped .

Treat yourself kindly the next week or so , try not to google too much . Glad we have all these facilities I've been absolutely blown away by everyone's professionalism and level of care I felt in very capable hands every step of the way . It's difficult but you will be able to make an informed decision soon . Really hope it is all good news though . Suck a shame these things eh . I was so lucky to be able to walk away with a so far healthy baby and felt blessed too .

Will have all my fingers crossed for you x

daluze Thu 01-May-14 20:44:49

Our experience is a bit similar to yours. On 12 weeks scan the sonographer detected two abnormalities related to blood flow, and although NT and bloods were normal, they gave us a whopping risk of 1:7 for Down syndrome. Fast forwarding, CVS and karyotype were clear. We had additional heart scans, however everything resolved by 20 weeks scan. Now my not so little anymore cheeky boy is 16 months and he is perfectly healthy (except for all the bugs he brings from nursery!). It is a very stressful time to wait for results and scans, and my thoughts are with you. When I waited for a heart scan, I was thinking, whatever it was, it was likely to be fixable. Fingers crossed you don't need even that!

Sahkoora Mon 05-May-14 11:33:13

Thank you, daluze, that gives me a lot of hope. Part of my brain keeps trying to convince me that there must be SOME reason for the abnormal NT, I keep preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

I'll keep you all posted when I know more.

Hope26 Tue 05-Aug-14 23:37:59

Hi all

Just an update since I created this thread. Today I got the results from the baby's tissue, it was a boy. My son. They confirmed he had trisomy 13 - patau syndrome.

I had a mmc and D&C in April.

I am now 7 weeks pregnant and worried however there is always hope and never give up. hope my experience helps anyone who is in need of advice.

Take care x

fanjobiscuits Tue 05-Aug-14 23:52:11

So sorry Hope26 flowers

minipie Thu 07-Aug-14 19:58:40

Ah hope so sorry you went through that. Best wishes for your new pregnancy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now