NT measurement 3.8 mm. Confused.

(9 Posts)
CareBearWithFangs Mon 14-Apr-14 13:01:06

Had my dating scan today. The Nuchal measurement was 3.8 m. I'm really confused everything I google says this is really high but the consultant at the hospital said it's only slightly bigger than normal. Also everything I read people seem to have been giving a 1 in something chance of downs. I haven't yet.

They've done some blood tests today and have referred us to a bugger hospital for another scan and more tests.

I feel so confused and a bit numb. I'm not sure what I'm posting for just want to get it out.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Mon 14-Apr-14 13:14:47

You won't get a 1 in X number until the blood test results come back.

3.5mm is on the upper side of the scale, but how many weeks/days are you?

Try not to panic, even if you get a 1 in 4 number then that's still a 75% chance your baby is fine.

I know how frightening anything unusual can be but the odds are on your side. Hold tight until your bloods come back. thanks

CareBearWithFangs Mon 14-Apr-14 13:17:53

I'm 13 + 1 today. It's the not knowing that's making me feel so awful. And I'm a bit of a worrier anyway. I feel exhausted already just from thinking about it sad

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Mon 14-Apr-14 13:26:02

It's only human to worry so don't beat yourself up. Do you know when your follow up scan will be?!

13+1 isn't too late for the scan but it's close to the limit (13+6) so you'd expect the fold to be bigger anyway.

Just do what you can to relax until you get better info.

CareBearWithFangs Mon 14-Apr-14 14:49:29

Trying to distract myself with crap tv for now.

DP keeps saying no point in worrying yet but I can't control what my brain thinks about.

Jellybean14 Sun 18-May-14 16:03:19

My nt came back 3.9mm and am 40 next month. i was was given a 1:5 risk of downs. Had a cvs and the first part cAme back normAl but am waiting for the full results which is nerve wrecking. It's hard not to worry but I've read a lot of threads where there is a chance everything will be ok. Just hang in there

Hotdog78 Sat 14-Jun-14 12:18:18

Jellybean, I'm just wondering if the 2nd part of your CVS test was ok? I'm going through a similar thing at the moment. I'm 35, my NT was 4.8mm and I was given a 1 in 6 chance of Downs. First part has come back normal but we are so worried at the moment and finding it hard to relax and enjoy being pregnant. Good luck.

Jellybean14 Mon 21-Jul-14 21:03:32

Hi Hotdog78
Just seen your message. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Yes the 2nd part came back ok and I am now 24 weeks pregnant! Ive done additional fetal echo tests and it all looks good so far so I have decided to stop worrying so much as there is nothing I can do and worrying isnt going to make a difference! Its just going to deprive me from actually enjoying my pregnancy! The dr did tell me that my risk level has come back down to the level it would be for any other woman! Hopefully everything is ok for you!

Hotdog78 Sun 03-Aug-14 19:39:01

Hi Jellybean, that's great news. The 2nd part of my test was ok, too, as was my heart scan. It's so nice to hear good news! All the best with your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now