please help me to understand

(13 Posts)

me and dh are on our 3rd pregnancy after 2 mcs we are both 27. I am 12 wks 3days today. we have had lots of early scans and have never gotten this far. we made a decision to only have an NHS dating scan no nuchal. as its been so hard getting to this stage we knew we wouldn't want further testing nor would we terminate if there was a problem.
except at the end of the scan she said there was excess fluid around the babies head. we then spoke to a midwife who said the baby had a raised nuchal measurement, 3.8mm.
she then advised me to reconsider and have the bloods done, I felt I had no choice.
the next day I saw the screening midwife who terrified me with all the possible out comes. she also kept mentioning other fluid, aside from the nuchal. my scan report says skin oedema around the fetus I am very confused by what this means. is this a separate problem to the nuchal fold. I have my test results back my bloods were fine, but on the measurement we were given 1:40 risk.

fuckwittery Sat 09-Mar-13 10:22:32

I'm bumping this for you but have no advice I'm afraid and am sorry to hear you are so worried. Wondering if you repost with "excess fluid nuchal scan" in the title of your thread, you might get notified by those who have experience of this x

your probably right I'm never very good with my thread titles, wonder if I can get it changed.

manitz Sat 09-Mar-13 15:05:42

hi sorry to hear how worried you are in this pregnancy and for your miscarriages. I am not entirely sure what your results mean and it would be much better to ask your consultant than rely on my half remembered facts. I had a pregnancy in which my baby had a 6mm nuchal and excess fluid under the skin. The fluid went round his head and down his back. It was referred to as both a cystic hygroma and hydrops. I was told that the nuchal measurement measures the amount of liquid in the nuchal fold. A raised nuchal measurement could indicate that the baby is in distress - anything from a mini heart problem to a chromosonal abnormality or an issue with the organs.

I think, if i understand it, the excess fluid seemed to happen if the nuchal overflowed. I am sure this is a simplification. Its great news that your bloods were good, with my scan they said bloods were pointless but I had a much higher nuchal, hopefully its nothing. Hope you are able to get more info asap. x

manitz what wad the out come? if you don't mind me asking. luckily I only have to wait until Monday morning to see the consultant and find out a bit more information. its difficult to stay away from Google but I know it won't do me any good and I know that I will only start to get my answers on Monday. its just making it through until then.

mb2512cat Sat 09-Mar-13 19:21:53

Hi, yes, on the info you provide, the oedema is a separate issue from the nuchal I'm afraid. I had an increased nuchal and an exomphalus (hole in the abdominal wall with the bowel sticking out) at a 10.5wk scan. We had a cvs and it was clear. We continued to have scans and the exomphalus resolved itself so we were overjoyed. Then the baby developed oedema in the head and chest. That also resolved itself but then other things materialised. I'm sorry to say that we didn't have a positive outcome. Think carefully about the tests that are available and what if anything, you may want to do about it, given your sentiments in your initial email. I hope you get good news.

MissRainbowBrite Sat 09-Mar-13 20:15:22

Hi, I had a nuchal measurement of 3.6mm when pregnant with my DD. Please try to remember that 3.8mm is only 0.2mm above the guidelines. I went straight for a CVS test and luckily had the all clear, fingers crossed things all work out for you, a high NT does not always mean a negative outcome.

manitz Tue 12-Mar-13 21:37:07

hi cartoontrickster. How did yesterday go? Sorry I didn't reply earlier but it's probably better that you didn't hear from me as it would have worried you. My baby was clearly in distress from even the way nhs staff reacted with me. I was unsurprised to find out that he had down syndrome from the cvs. For various reasons I decided to terminate the pregnancy. At the same time someone who I think was called peelprincess had exactly the same nuchal and oedema and the baby was fine. It's very difficult to tell as nuchal etc are just indicators. I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier but I don't get online every day. x Hope you had better news today.

by the time I saw the fetal med consultant my baby's heart had stopped beating. she also found that there was no nasal bone and a hernia type lump in the stomach.

manitz Wed 13-Mar-13 20:36:40

cartoontrickster I am so sorry. I hope you are ok. xx

Lisatay25 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:22:46

I had the same thing Hun I went for the scan and had a nuchal fold of 4.2mm scared us to death bout all the possibilities sad( we decided to have the amino over the Cvs and everything came bk Di e my little boy is now 2 & half and is entirely healthy hope this gives you some hope xxx

lougle Sat 16-Mar-13 22:13:44

Lisatay25 did you even read the thread?

cartoontrickster, so sorry to hear this. It sounds like your baby was very unwell sad

Lisatay25 Mon 18-Mar-13 21:12:13

Sorry cartoon trickster ur post didn't load on my phone xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now