Private early pregnancy scan - worth it?

(13 Posts)
jaynefpee Mon 04-Mar-13 13:07:02

Hello

I am almost 5 weeks pregnant and this is my first pregnancy so I am very excited and a little nervous. It seems such a long time to wait until the 12 week scan to get confirmation that the pregnancy is viable/in the right place etc. So I was considering paying for a private early pregnancy scan at 7 weeks as it would be nice to have the reassurance of hopefully seeing the baby's heart beat etc. However my husband thinks I'm mad and thinks we should do whatever is 'normal' i.e. what the NHS offers. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation? Do people think that an early scan is useful and reassuring or am I being a bit neurotic!

willowsun Mon 04-Mar-13 14:56:19

i had an early scan with dd2 at 8 weeks is definetly worth it if it reassures u as well looks very tiny and cute at 7-8 weeks

Shellywelly1973 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:36:33

Hi.
I had an early scan with my last pregnancy at 7 weeks, just for peace of mind. Im so glad i did. I'd never had a private scan...worth every penny!

LittlePoot Tue 05-Mar-13 07:21:39

I don't want to be the voice of doom, but a reassuring scan at 7 weeks doesn't mean all will still be well at 12 I'm afraid. It is a good sign if they do see the heartbeat but there's still a chance it doesn't stick in my experience. Its not that I suggest you don't do it, just be aware that 7 weeks is really early and although most pregnancies do just fine, you're not necessarily out of the woods that early.

specialsubject Tue 05-Mar-13 14:57:24

save your money, you'll hopefully need it in 8 months. The NHS schedule their scans when they do for a reason.

a 7 week foetus is not 'cute' !!

crazyhead Thu 07-Mar-13 23:55:20

I had early scans due to bleeding in my last pg. They showed a subchorionic haematoma (bruise in uterus) that really frightened me but which had gone by 12 weeks. I think that for all the reassurance they give they can also cause new concerns that actually aren't worth thinking about - a tough balance.

brettgirl2 Fri 08-Mar-13 07:57:56

I think yes it is. There is no guarantee at any stage that everything will be fine. If a hb is seen at about 8 weeks m/c risk is around 2-3 per cent. Its 1 per cent at 12 weeks. I had early scans for bleeding with both my pregnancies and it was great to see babies. They are cute at 8 weeks they have little stubby arms and legs flapping about.

chezchaos Sat 09-Mar-13 09:36:21

Oh definitely go for it, we has one at about 9 weeks and DD was clearly a teeny baby waving her legs and arms about. We were treated so well and given a whole roll of photos. I really treasure that experience.

bluer Sun 17-Mar-13 08:50:57

We paid 30 pounds at what I thought was 8 Weeks but turned out to be 7. It was amazing and so worth it. I think we got about twenty mins to look, got to hear the heartbeat, even saw it in 3d. I knew that there was no guarantee but it helped my dh begin to bond and realise it was really there as well. When I went for the 12 week we didn't get to hear the heartbeat, and the while thing felt rushed although I know its a dating scan not a chance to sit and beam.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 17-Mar-13 09:10:57

I've done it with 2 out of 3 pregnancies. IMHO, it is entirely understandable why you would want to have the scan as 12 weeks in pregnancy feels like an eternity. But, seeing a viable foetus at this stage gives false reassurance. In my last pregnancy I had a scan which showed everything fine at 6-8 weeks (some confusion over dates). At my 12 week scan I found I'd miscarried. There'd been no signs at all.

Lj8893 Mon 18-Mar-13 17:12:49

How do I go about getting a private early scan? Can someone point me in the right direction? I can't calculate how far gone I am as I have always had irregular periods but I would say I am at least 8 weeks now but maybe more. At week 6 I had some light spotting and went to a&e and was told I couldn't have an early scan and I generally felt like I was bein a nuisance and brushed off.
I understand that things could still change between having a good early scan and a 12 week dating scan but it would still help me put my mind at rest for a while at least and give me more of an idea of how far gone I am, for all I know I could already be nearly 12 weeks and I haven't even had my first midwife appointment yet!

MrsJohnDeere Mon 18-Mar-13 17:21:01

Google pregnancy scans for your town/county and a few suggestions should come up. If you're in or near Beds/Herts I can recommend a couple of places. If you have a BUPA or Spire hospital nearby they often off them. Usually cost around £150-£180.

Shellywelly1973 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:54:05

I used a company called Baby Bond. Just Google Baby Bond, then u get to select where u are in the UK&clinics local to you.

It was about £70. They scan from 7 wks. Like others have mentioned, theres no guarantee. I seen my baby&i am glad i did, at 12 scan i was told i'd had a mmc.

Best of luck to& i hope your pregnancy goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now