Good Scan - Bad Bloods

(44 Posts)
EwokStorageUnit Tue 12-Feb-13 07:46:31

I had scan last wednesday and sonographer told us all was good, everything was as expected at that stage (13+2). Had bloods taken and was told I would get a call within a week if high risk.

A call from the midwife yesterday afternoon whilst I was at work basically to tell me risk is 1/35, I can have an amnio in two weeks time, which they can't do at my local hospital, there's a 1% chance of miscarriage, if positive for abnormalities they'll oFfer me a termination, and could I have a think about it and call them back between 9 and 5 today to make an appointment.

I knew that my risk was going to be high (I'm 40 and this is first pregnangy), so I had researched Harmony, CVS and amnio. I'm not even being offered a CVS and the thought of waiting two weeks for the amnio is just awful.

I booked myself into to FMC on Friday to have CVS, although the have suggested that I just have scan and talk through options first. If I still want procedure they will do it then.

I don't really have a question, I just wanted to share my experience. - haven't slept well, I've cried a lot and I feel numb - as if I've lost before I started and aS if I need to cut myself off before the news gets any worse.

Thanks for listening.

Gingerandlemon Sun 03-Mar-13 06:58:44

Thanks, Ewok, I'm so glad you got the results you'd hoped for, too. Also, thank you for posting your story. It helped me so much at the darkest moments to know I wasn't the only one going through this horrible process. Xx

EwokStorageUnit Fri 01-Mar-13 15:47:42

So pleased for you G&L. xx

Gingerandlemon Tue 26-Feb-13 21:04:16

Hi everyone.

I've recently been through a similar situation and reading other people's stories gave me so much hope that I thought I would come on here and post mine.

Last Tuesday (19th Feb) I went for my 12week scan. I wasn't worried at all because I'd ended up having an early scan the week before (due to some pain and spotting) and so knew the baby was ok. The 12 week scan looked fine, NT was 1.6 although I didn't then know what that meant as this is my first pregnancy, aged 32. We headed home feeling pretty good and getting all googly eyed over the beautiful photo.

The next day, however I received the dreaded phone call saying that my odds were 1:74 and offering me CVS. I spent the afternoon crying and googling (I'm currently signed off work with horrendous sickness) before talking it over with my husband and deciding we needed to know and arranging the CVS. The next day I felt a bit more together so I called the hospital to get a breakdown of my results. The lovely midwife confirmed that the scan looked great (it turned out my risk based on the scan was about 1:2900) but my bloods looked terrible (risk based on bloods was 1:17). My PAPPA-A (I hope I have that right!) was just below 0.8 and my HCG was super high, just below 6.

The CVS was on friday and went ok - I found it a little painful and was tender for a few days but the procedure itself went smoothly. I was told I would hear back the following Wednesday. However, this afternoon (Tuesday) they called me and let me know that our baby doesn't have Down's Syndrome or either of the other trisomies. I can't tell you how relieved we were. I feel like a different person to this morning!

Anyway, I hope our story helps offer some hope for other scared Mums to be. This has been a horrid week, possibly the hardest of my life, and these types of stories helped me keep my chin up a little.

Hang in there.

G&L

EwokStorageUnit Tue 26-Feb-13 11:15:28

Fabulous news Pingu! So pleased for you!

Pingu82 Fri 22-Feb-13 17:57:26

Got my full karotype results and all clear :D very relieved. We just have the heart scan to get through now.

Sending lots of luck to everyone still waiting xxx

EwokStorageUnit Fri 22-Feb-13 13:17:57

I think it's the waiting that is so hard. I have to admit that I've sort of blocked the next set of results at the moment - FMC said unless there was an issue I'd just get a hard copy in the post... don't know if that's better or worse than a call.

Whatwhatwhat, good luck, let us know how you get on, fingers crossed for you.

Keep in touch with full karotype results, lets hope all the good luck continues to roll.

lozster Wed 20-Feb-13 19:17:34

Hi whatwhatwhat - yes it's there! It must have been in my blind spot?!
Though I did look hard.... I can honestly say my amnio was not as bad as my blood test. I did even have a bruise though they said I would.

Pingu - sorry to hear about the bleeding that must be a worry. Yes, I'm a tad anxious about the full results too. I want my other half to take that call as I'm all worn out with it!

Ewok - I'm not sure why people find it so hard to understand a strong need to know. I like to have as much background knowledge as possible about all aspects of my life and having a baby is a pretty big issue. I thought that people on here were broadly supportive but some of the posts there seemed quite judgemental which struck me as odd as you, me and Pingu got a lot of support and there are other similar or even harder threads on here. Anyway whatwhatwhat good luck to you.

Whatwhatwhat Wed 20-Feb-13 18:35:38

I think the 400:1 thread was mine. Thought it was still up.
I'm booked in for amino.

Last time (20 months ago) I got odds of 3800:1.

To me my odds this time seem a lot worse. Not bad. Just worse than they were.

Pingu82 Wed 20-Feb-13 17:56:32

Ewok and positive - really pleased to hear about your good results! That's really great news!

I had an amnio 2 weeks ago and also had all clear for 3 main trisomys. I really dont think you can know what decision youd make about invasive tests until you're faced with worrying news (high nuchal measurement at dating scan in my case) and the huge uncertainty that brings.

Unfortunately had some bleeding on Monday so it was back to the hospital and more uncertainty sad I'm fairly sure the bleeding was because of cervical ectropion and probably not related to the amnio but what I wouldn't give for a straightforward pregnancy right now!

Also finding I'm starting to worry again now its getting closer to the full amnio results. Anyone else experiencing this?

EwokStorageUnit Wed 20-Feb-13 14:53:09

Thanks Suzy / Lozster,

Blimey, think I'll about pass out if I start bleeding - did you have it checked out each time?

Yeah, I re-read that thread a couple of days ago and agree, she did seem to be taking some flak. Personally (and this is personally before people start throwing things at me) I needed to know for sure so that I could make informed decisions for my family - it wasn't just about the baby and/or me, it was about all of us (it's my first baby, but OH has children from previous relationship).

What did we do before they had all this screening and health care? Do you think that pregnancies were less stressful?

lozster Wed 20-Feb-13 13:34:31

Btw - what happened to thread from the lady who had a 1:400 and was considering a diagnostic test? The thread seems to have gone. She seemed to be getting a bit of a hard time from some?

lozster Wed 20-Feb-13 13:29:50

Great news ewok. You must be relieved or maybe shell shocked! I think that is all the ladies I've been following on here for the last fewer weeks on the clear. It's a stressful time.

suzyrut Wed 20-Feb-13 11:07:51

Congratulations Ewok that's great news! Just to say I've had a few episodes of bleeding post my CVS even up to 5 weeks later but everything's still fine. xx

EwokStorageUnit Wed 20-Feb-13 07:41:13

Hi everyone - the important stuff first...tests came back as "consistent with a normal chromosome 21, 18 and 13 complement" The lady that called me was fabulous and they emailed me the results so that I could keep checking that they were real!

It was an awful weekend, absolutely convinced that every time I went to the toilet I was going to find blood everywhere :-(

Fortunately there's been no blood, although I do have to admit that I've been a bit uncomfortable. Took Monday off, as couldn't face a two hour drive to the office for meetings and certainly didn't want to speak to anyone. lay on the sofa and slept for the majority of the day.

Seriously the longest week of my life and the weekend especially. Kept bursting into tears as was so convinced that my impatience and need to know was going to cause a MC.

Thank you everyone for your support and all the positive stories, which have really helped keep me a bit more sane than I might otherwise have been.

lozster Tue 19-Feb-13 22:33:11

Hi ewok - I just popped back to check on you! Any news?

Positive38 Sat 16-Feb-13 11:02:15

thank u ewok we are over the moon and i really think u are going to be ok.
u are so brave hun i dont know how u did a train journey..am so glad u had your mum.
at least with cvs u get answers quickly u rest up the weekend and ill check in nxt week.am thinking of u xxxx

lozster Sat 16-Feb-13 03:52:09

Gosh, another wait Ewok. Glad the cvs wasn't too bad as at least you will get the clear answer that you need. I don't envy you the trip through London. I cried in my car every night driving home while I waited so I would have appeared deranged on public transport !

Not too long now - if it's anything like my amnio, you may even get the results earlier on Monday. I think they like to manage your expectations by saying longer lead times.

We're both still a bit shell shocked. Today was my big 'reveal'. Family delighted, work colleagues came to see me and some told me their difficult stories. My partner thinks I (we?!) need to talk about this more online to raise the awareness that even 1:4 is not necessarily game over. I now feel lucky to know

I'll be popping back to check on you ! That's a promise!

EwokStorageUnit Fri 15-Feb-13 22:45:09

That's excellent news Positive, so pleased for you. Xx

Currently laid on my mums sofa in my jammies - couldn't deal with a two/three hour drive after coming back from FMC.

The doc I saw was lovely, did a scan, Beanie was too big to redo a nuchal, so was given option of Harmony or CVS. The scan was great, all bits evident and god Beanie has long legs. Def an olympic athlete if the acrobatics were anything to go by! Nasal bone present, heart doing what it should and no other markers. She thought the bloods were just skewing the figures and there probably wasn't any issue.

When discussing Harmony, she did mention that there was a higher chance of no foetal DNA being present because of my high BMI. The thought of waiting two weeks and then having to wait another two weeks for a re-test was (for me) unbearable, so I opted to go ahead with the CVS.

Uncomfortable and still feeling a bit odd - weird shaky weepy moment at Euston after leaving FMC, but touch wood, after procedure Beanies heartbeat was good and strong and no spotting at the moment.

Results will be rung through to us on Tuesday.

Just going to try and keep my feet up this weekend.

Would like to thank my my mum for being fantabulous and holding my hand all day, and to everyone who's posted on here. Xx

Positive38 Fri 15-Feb-13 12:52:49

Hi Ewok
My results from FMC have shown negative 1:10,0000 risk for all 3 trisomeys
i cant tell u what a relief that was,
pls let me know how you get on today xxxx

Positive38 Fri 15-Feb-13 09:33:25

and my risk is 1:34 xx

Positive38 Fri 15-Feb-13 09:31:47

ewok thinking of u today hun...hoping u get good news do let us know.
like u i had good scan.and bad bloods.i had harmony 10 days ago and now waiting for the call...petrified.
my hcg was 3mom and pappa was .44 low nt at 1.8 and perfect scans.
like u i dont feel pregnant have.detatched myself at min i am 14+2 days.
sending u support for today xx

phlebas Fri 15-Feb-13 00:54:08

I'm another one with bad bloods & good scan - I got a 1 in 16 risk, I was 24 & pregnant with dc1. I had a CVS which came back normal (but I declined screening except the 20 week scan which I had at the FMC with my next three children). It is a horrible thing to go through, the FMC are fantastic though.

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Thu 14-Feb-13 22:42:55

Can i just add, i had a brilliant home birth with dd, then couldn,t deliver the placenta.

I was transfered to bwh and lost about 2lt of blood. After removal, a consultant on ward rounds, told me about a study, showing some correlation between "bad bloods" and placenta accreta.

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Thu 14-Feb-13 22:35:40

Sleep well.x

Themobstersknife Thu 14-Feb-13 22:30:07

All the best for tomorrow. Sleep well.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now