Echogenic bowel. Please come and share your experiences.....

(4 Posts)
RightUpMyRue Mon 19-Nov-12 22:47:18

Thank you Anaisa, this is what I've heard from loads of people, it's reassuring to know.

Appt is tomorrow morning. Fingers are so crossed!

Anaisa Mon 19-Nov-12 22:43:58

We had this in my 1st pregnancy and went for a private scan as well ax the NHs one hoping it would be all clear. The private scan showed the same thing so both myself and my husband were tested for the cf gene, which neither of us had. I worried myself sick for the rest of the pregnancy, but my DS was born absolutely perfect. Hope this helps and good luck!

RightUpMyRue Mon 19-Nov-12 14:00:19

Hopeful bump...

RightUpMyRue Sun 18-Nov-12 17:27:30

Had the 20 week scan last week. Everything looked good, baby is moving about loads and his growth is between the 50th and 75th centiles. However, his bowel appears to have an echogenic patch.

The sonographer has reassured me that this doesn't mean there is something wrong with the baby and in fact most of the echogenic bowels they find turn out to be nothing more serious than the baby having swallowed some blood earlier in the PG or that I have had an infection, like toxoplasmosis or parvovirus, and it's possibly, but not definitely, passed through the placenta to the baby.

Having come home and googled it appears to be a soft marker for cystic fibrosis and downs syndrome, among other things. My nuchal and blood results at 13 weeks were very low for down's though; 1 in 14000. The internet, for once, has actually been quite reassuring, lots of stories of the same thing and the babies are born perfect.

I'm booked in for a consultant appt at the fetal medicine unit on Tuesday for a detailed scan and some blood tests, I think, so will know more then but I wondered if anyone here had any experiences of this they'd like to share with me? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now