Harmony prenatal test - anyone know about it

(823 Posts)
RTchoke Mon 29-Oct-12 05:41:25

today I am having a new kind of prenatal test called Harmony. It's non-invasive and seems to just be a new kind of blood test plus the regular nuchal scan but it's much more accurate than the traditional nuchal blood test. Apparently it's nearly as accurate as a CVS but without any risk.

I'm the only person I know who is having this test and nobody else seems to have heard of it let alone have been offered it. I just wondered if others have and knowledge of it and how accurate it is.

CrispyFB Sat 14-Sep-13 20:34:17

I should add that other clinics are more expensive and I've not heard of anywhere else as cheap. Maybe the FMC makes up the difference by insisting on the scan?

suzimama Sun 15-Sep-13 14:27:39

Very grateful for finding this thread. I had a Harmony test yesterday at FMC. Excellent service, saw a v nice doctor who reassured me that my early anomaly scan looked fine (nasal bone, markers etc.), the Harmony test would give us extra reassurance. I'm 48, pregnant with DC4, (14+5wks) and received a high risk combined score on the NHS this week - 1: 80 . The hardest part is the two week wait.. I paid £150 for the EAS plus £400 for the Harmony test. The scan was worth the £150, far more detailed than the NHS one I had last week

Dubaimum999 Sun 15-Sep-13 17:05:43

Read a lot on this site about harmony test and wanted to add my experience.

If you have any doubt get it done.....after an abnormal blood test result opted to have this done and two weeks later news came we had a less than one in 10,000 chance of trisomy. The wait is horrible especially after you have been told about an abnormal result, but with no risk it's worth the wait....good luck to everyone waiting on good news.

Caerne Sun 15-Sep-13 21:16:29

Fleegi67, How was the experience at the Edinburgh Clinic? I live in Edinburgh too. Found out we are 1:98 odd, slightly better than my age. Was set for amnio as I was already 13 w plus when I heard the result but then discussed with hubby he doesn't want us to take the risk (1/150 miscarriage/premature Scotland average according to mw. What sort of scan is included and how long did the whole thing last? I have emailed EC to ask details yesterday but as u understand I would want to know as much as poss. I googles and found only u posted u used EC. Many thanks.

FMC will not do harmony without a scan (either £150 or £180), I just confirmed this with them tonight

CrispyFB Tue 17-Sep-13 18:54:10

Thanks for that info - useful to know! I guess they want to be sure the pregnancy is viable first before wasting money which makes sense.

CrispyFB Wed 18-Sep-13 23:07:59

Useful BBC news summary article from June of Harmony for any lurkers!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22796078

Interesting to see the professor is talking about testing it in NHS hospitals from presumably July. Has anyone been offered it on the NHS? I can only assume Kings would be one of them.

One more point, FMC charge for the gender whereas it is included for most other clinics.

I paid an extra £100 for a local clinic (includes scan, harmony and gender). South West London, they also did my early reassurance scan and I couldn't be happier. Results in 2 weeks...

suzimama Tue 24-Sep-13 20:03:10

Still waiting for the results. I rang the FMC today and was told that the results were delayed and it would take an extra 5 days. The receptionist told me that if a second sample was needed, the lab would have requested it.
Has anyone else had the same experience?. I wish I hadn't called (it has been 10 days since the test) it has just made me feel uncertain about the forthcoming result. I have a BCS examination (academic exam) tomorrow and the worry does not help.

LightTripper Thu 26-Sep-13 10:53:27

Hi all,

Going for my test tomorrow at the Birth Company. They seem to offer a choice of Harmony or Panorama, which I haven't come across before but seems a very similar idea with slightly different stats (a bit more accurate it seems, but no good for e.g. twins). Will try to find out more tomorrow and will report back!

LT (10+1)

CrispyFB Thu 26-Sep-13 15:38:25

suzimama - Don't they send two vials anyway? So if they don't get enough in one, they start again with the second vial? Perhaps that is it (disclaimer - this is just something I heard on another forum so I don't know how true it is) I honestly don't think you need to read anything into the delay though.

LightTripper - Quite of few of my US due date friends have used Panorama, it seems fine! No idea how the stats compare unfortunately.. I thought Harmony was the better one out of MaterniT21 and Verifi but I don't know where Panorama falls into that.

Good luck to both of you!

LightTripper Fri 27-Sep-13 17:15:22

So, I went for Panorama in the end. There's really not much in it I don't think, but they do claim slightly higher detection for the more rare trisomys (though the confidence intervals are wide, so I guess it's based on quite small samples) and also test for one other thing. The Birth Centres experience is also that the results come back slightly quicker, so we'll see!

More generally the sonographer was great, very friendly and helpful. Saw a lot more than we thought on the scan, and so far all looks normal and good... Baby even did a little jig for us at one point!

Caerne Mon 30-Sep-13 19:24:47

Hi all, I got my Harmony test result today after 12 agonising days of waiting. All is good on my side. I just want to share my experience in the hope that any one in the same boat don't feel lonely and found it useful.

I did my test in Glasgow after found out in Scotland only Edinburgh clinic and Glasgow GCRM offer the test. It is the same professor who does it so u don't get appoinent any day where u want it. I was already 15 weeks then so opt to go to Glasgow (I live in Edin) to have the test.

A few points to share:
- looks like outside London the cost is £750
- If u opt for Harmony test then check: If the cost of amnio is included in the package if Harmony test comes back high risk. I saw some London clinic offers that. Also the blood test has a failure rate of 3-5% depends on ur source of info. The clinic will redo that in such case but it will be further wait. I did ask what if the retest also fail. The prof said he may refund part of the cost.

In my case I waited for the NHS screening test result (1/98) te modwife did warn me because of my age i am very likely to be high risk. I took another week to decide on the Harmony test. In hindsight I should really go for Harmony test to start with as I would have the result much earlier. When I was 10 weeks FMC would still have the £180 offer on and plus travel cost would still be a lot cheaper.

I would echo previous post - if u really need to know the result then go for the test as soon as. From memory NHS screening only have about 95% accuracy and I have since heard cases of Down not picking up by the screening.

I hope this helps even one person I will be glad.

Good luck all and enjoy that growth in ur tummy. x

suzimama Mon 30-Sep-13 23:26:24

Thanks for your kind thoughts CrispyFB, after the events of today I really appreciate them. The test failed - not enough of the Baby's DNA in the sample sad I assume the use of the 2nd vial is the reason for the delayed results.

The result came in at 12.00pm and by 2.30pm, back at FMC for a second blood test that only has 50% success rate after a failed test. It will be another 10 -14 days before my resultsad. The worry is that the test will fail again. Later on in the afternoon, I found out about an alternative non-invasive test, Panorama. It uses a different methodology and goes to a completely different Lab. I may consider taking this next, but time is ticking on... It is not easy living with a high risk result without wanting certainty.

I feel like I'm in limbo, can't tell others about my pregnancy (or even enjoy it) until I know either way.

womma Wed 02-Oct-13 20:18:03

Hello, I'm booked to go to FMC tomorrow for a Harmony blood test. I had my 13 week scan at Kings last night, the NF came in at 2.6, and my overall chance of having a baby with a chromosomal abnormality is 1 in 125, so I'm in the high risk category. I'm 43 and this is my second pregnancy.

Because I've had such a recent scan at Kings, they said to bring my maternity records in and they won't need to scan again (just a quick one for a heartbeat) so I can just have the H test for £400.

I'm really suffering with morning sickness at the moment, and I'd certainly be more emotionally robust if I felt better, but over last night and today a teeny seed of doubt has become a massive forest! I need to get a grip. My odds aren't that bad. Fingers crossed for all of us, and great to read some very encouraging experiences.

CrispyFB Wed 02-Oct-13 21:32:43

Caerne - Wow at £750 shock Those of us who got in before the end of August at the FMC were so so lucky. I'm glad you got a good result!

suzimama - Oh no, how incredibly frustrating. They told me at the FMC it was really rare for that to happen. Do you get a refund of anything if the second one fails as well? Are they offering you Panorama if so? Panorama has been offered to a few ladies on here I think at other clinics, and there is also Verifi, NIFTY and the original MaterniT21 but I have no idea whether the latter three are available here in the UK right now.

womma - That's obviously bad news about your screening, but good news they won't scan you again and charge you for it!! At 43, does that mean your odds are actually better than your background risk as I'm sure it's really high odds at 43? Your bloodwork must have been pretty good! And yes, your odds are very good considering! But it is still lovely to have the non-invasive reassurance of something like Harmony. I went to bits last pregnancy when mine came back 1 in 60 (later revised by the FMC down to 1 in 34, ugh) - I think it doesn't help they say "SCREEN POSITIVE" and the term just makes the whole thing sound like a massive disaster!! "Slightly raised risk" would be more accurate with your odds but probably the emotional implications on an already stressed mother were far from their minds when they developed the lingo..

CrispyFB Wed 02-Oct-13 21:35:16

womma - yes, according to here www.wolfson.qmul.ac.uk/epm/screening/calcrisk.html your background risk for your age should be 1 in 45! So you're actually doing rather well considering. If you were ten years younger I bet your odds would be in the thousands.

womma Wed 02-Oct-13 21:50:06

Hello Crispy, I was told at the scan the odds for my age were 1 in 30, and my blood test results brought the number up (good old blood!).

The scan results seemed really positive, it's my age and NT narrowing the odds. I felt quite confident talking to the sonography as she told us our options, but a combination of the worried look on DH's face and feeling rubbish anyway chipped away over night! Glad I got an appt fast. I really hope all if us waiting, and those to come to this thread all have good news!

samsmother Wed 02-Oct-13 22:20:05

I had the Harmony test this afternoon, now just need to get through the next 2 weeks and hope it doesn't fail me..... I went to the FMC the staff were lovely and the Professor was very friendly and did what he could to reassure me what test would be best for me to have. My odds had came back at 1:224at my 12 weeks scan, I went there to look for some reassurance today

suzimama Wed 02-Oct-13 23:00:07

Hi Crispy and Womma,

Maternal age alone can throw you into a high risk group even if your bloods are within normal limits. I had an NHS appointment yesterday, the Consultant explained that my Combined test result 1:80 was very good considering my age (48). It was likely that my age contributed significantly to the high risk result as my bloods were within the normal range.

In terms of the Harmony test, FMC have advised me that if I get a failed result again they will give me a refund. The Panorama test is available at another clinic at the same address as FMC. Birth Company (I think). It's £600. I know this is prolonging the agony, but it is the next step if I get a failed Harmony result. I would have to be very unlucky not to get a result out of either test. DH pointed out that we have had more positive feedback from the additional scans that we have had with this Baby than other the three pregnancies (that were not considered high risk).

Best wishes to all waiting for their results of their Harmony test.

womma Thu 03-Oct-13 18:07:59

Hello Suzi and Sam, fingers crossed for us all. I'll certainly update you on my results, but I'm around for some mutual handholding in the next couple of weeks too!

Caerne Thu 03-Oct-13 20:16:56

CrispyFB thanks. It was very dear I just have to stop shopping after this expense! I felt the NHS screening left me with no choice but go for Harmony. x

CrispyFB Thu 03-Oct-13 23:58:49

I will be lurking to see all the results!!

Caerne I would have done the same last pregnancy if Harmony had been available. Heck, I'd have paid a thousand to avoid the 20 week wait I had as I couldn't face CVS/amnio as I'd never forgive myself if something happened. It's so much money, but what price sanity.. I went a bit mad last pregnancy!

womma Fri 04-Oct-13 11:18:22

Crispy, you're lovely! Got my fingers crossed for you as well Caerne xxx

Caerne Fri 04-Oct-13 22:43:26

Thanks Womma I had my result already all low risk. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now