Harmony prenatal test - anyone know about it

(823 Posts)
RTchoke Mon 29-Oct-12 05:41:25

today I am having a new kind of prenatal test called Harmony. It's non-invasive and seems to just be a new kind of blood test plus the regular nuchal scan but it's much more accurate than the traditional nuchal blood test. Apparently it's nearly as accurate as a CVS but without any risk.

I'm the only person I know who is having this test and nobody else seems to have heard of it let alone have been offered it. I just wondered if others have and knowledge of it and how accurate it is.

Polarbear72 Tue 16-Apr-13 17:42:52

Well, my 2nd test also failed and they won't re-test so I am stuck with my NT test at 1/1290. Very disappointed!

iclaudius Tue 16-Apr-13 17:50:56

I had the harmony done on baby number 8 at Christmas . I had private nuchal with bloods which threw up 'intermediate risk' I'd not heard of this before and in fact on the report I got it said 'low' but additional sheet said 'intermediate'
I felt the private scan to be fuzzy and rushed .
I panicked and had an NHS scan at big teaching hospital . Amazing scan great clarity and long and helpful chat with consultant - I cannot recommend the NHS enough. I did feel slightly pressured towards the cvs which I declined and they seemed slightly scornful of the harmony. I opted for harmony anyway and got a screen negative in seven days

iclaudius Tue 16-Apr-13 17:51:20

Polar bear you found very unlucky so sorry about that

iclaudius Tue 16-Apr-13 17:53:10

I had my harmony bloody done at the GPS btw

BadMissM Tue 16-Apr-13 19:23:34

I couldn't get a decent scan of any kind on the NHS, my trust don't even do Nuchal, and when they finally reluctantly gave me a blood test they gave me 1 in 15....I would have pregerred to be able to get a decent test on the NHS. No consultant chat offered despite my age and history. Asked to go to another trust, they said I could if I paid....

I'm so glad I went for the Harmony.... 1 in 10,000.... Put my mind at rest, so much!

Poor Polar Bear !! 2 not working! But the Nuchal result is good xxx

Diege Thu 18-Apr-13 19:18:14

Oh no polarbear that's such bad luck. Were they able to give you any explanation at all? Your nuchal results are indeed super reassuring.

Well had my harmony back yesterday and less than 1 in 10,000 for main 3 trisomies. My nuchal and bloods gave me 1 in 747 for downs which I was very happy with as age-related risk 1 in 37 shock.
Will be having my 20 week scan there as so impressed with staff. Nicolaides rechecked my scan and he was so lovely I have developed a crush blush

lovelylara Fri 19-Apr-13 20:31:50

I had the first part of the Harmony test (i.e. the scan) at the FMC earlier this week. I had had a 7 week scan elsewhere, which revealed a foetus with a heartbeat.

I was lying on the couch looking at the screen and my heart sank a little as I said to the sonographer "Shouldn't it be moving?". She didn't say anything at first and then said it was measuring 7 weeks, to which I blurted out "but I'm around 10 weeks". Then she confirmed it had died at around 7 weeks and got her colleague to check for a second opinion (same result). I burst into tears and they took me to a quiet room for a while. Apparently it is called a missed miscarriage.

She called my hospital to find out the next steps and fortunately they didn't charge me for the test.

Hopefully everyone else will have a good result.

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 19-Apr-13 20:34:15

Oh lovelylara sad

So, so sorry for your loss.

flowers

This is a random question but did you get pictures from the scan they do at the second appointment?

I am having the harmony test on Monday due to having such awful NF test results in last 2 pregnancies that I was advised to go for a CVS with both if them.

Prof N did both of my CVSs and I have to say was extremely professional and compassionate. I have also had dealings with him when he had to advise a relative that her baby would not have survived after birth and he was a wonderful support in such an awful time.

This time I am 9 years older and so risk will be greater and I really don't want to have to go through having a cvs again.

Do be careful of what people say of successful people a lot of the time it can be envy that clouds people's opinions.

It's amazing that this procedure is available now and hopefully all those who have the test will one day mean that if is available routinely in the nhs.

BadMissM Tue 23-Apr-13 16:27:24

Michelle Yes, I got pictures from both!

MadameCastafiore I thoroughly agree... It put my mind to rest!

allibi Tue 23-Apr-13 17:23:01

Dear all, I have found your info on the harmony test v useful and just had the blood test and scan today at the fetal medical center, so thank you!!
However i am VERY concerned that the ultrasounds may carry risks to the babys brain development and that in my experience of using 2 scan centers on harley street, people are not being made aware that there may be a risk. I certainly was not
the American institute of ulatrsound in medicine has safety statements that say ultrasounds should ONLY be used if a genuine medical reason. I was encouraged to do an early date scan that i now regret and am looking to have the nuchal test at the fetal center INSTEAD of the NHS scan rather than doubling up on scans.

please read the following links if you are interested in some articles on this

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundrodgers.asp

http://www.naturalnews.com/038833_ultrasound_pregnant_women_testing.html

http://www.aium.org/resources/viewStatement.aspx?id=34

I for one, am very worried about how these ultrasounds are being used in the UK

Diege Thu 25-Apr-13 11:50:21

Hi alibi I agree with lots of the points you raise. I too am only having one set of scans (FMC). Additionally of course there is the added risk of getting 2 sets of conflicting results if using NHS AND say FMC.
IIRC there are also some concerns abut the increase in the use of dopplers at home, esp with some people using them daily. I think if people choose to have vanity scans, use a Doppler daily that's their choice but don't think the risks are properly publicised by the NHS and as such most people's choices aren't that informed..

TallulahUK Tue 30-Apr-13 09:01:58

Hi - I just joined Mumsnet because I needed to see if anyone has had any experience with a Harmony test that didn't work? I'm just over 13 weeks, and the last two weeks waiting for the Harmony result have been a killer. FMC told me yesterday there wasn't enough of the baby's DNA in my blood and that they need to do the test again (and another 2 weeks wait) but the chances are that it wont work. They could only say the test fails in about 5% of cases and usually if you are overweight (I'm not). My nuchal scan was fine but they told me too yesterday that I had low hormone results from the placenta (Is that HCG?) and with my age 42 the risk of DS is 1 in 9. Am very anxious. Next step would be amnio I suppose if the test fails again as would be too late for CVS. Not sure what is for the best. Any experience of this?

JaneLondon2013 Wed 01-May-13 22:11:05

Dear all, I have found ur info on the Harmony test so useful. I am thinking to call them and to get an appointment. I just made a bit of further research and I was wondering if they have explained to you which personal information will be transferred to the US. Did they make you sign a consent? and what about the treatment of this info in the US - the law must be different from ours (?!). I know it is a v small issue in comparison with the great benefits offered by the test but since it is the DNA which is transferred I would like to be sure that privacy will be protected and the blood discarded once the test has been carried out. hope someone can help with this.

Diege Thu 02-May-13 07:27:28

Hi Janet I do recall signing a consent form. It assured me the blood sample would be disposed of and only used for the purpose for which it was intended. I think there was an acknowledgement that the US data protection system differs somewhat from our own, and that this should be taken into account, but don't remember tbh if the possible implications for this were outlined.
Tallulah really hope you get better luck with the second sample. It's only being overweight that I had heard of too as a factor, so very frustrating. They did say to me at the FMC that most people will get a result second time round although I think there is a poster on this thread who also had the same occurring second time. Let us know how you get on xx

JaneLondon2013 Mon 06-May-13 14:28:54

Thank you so much Diege for your kind reply. I have not decided yet about the test because of this issue. Maybe I should first have the combined test, see how it is going and then decide whether or not to have the Harmony test...

Soopermum1 Tue 07-May-13 23:08:16

hi all

rather minor question about the harmony test at the FMC. do they record the sex of the baby and tell you if you ask?

had blood taken there today and forgot to ask. we want to know the sex this time, so as a plus point, all going well with the main focus of the test, would be good to find out.

elaine0612 Wed 08-May-13 15:01:55

Hi Soopermum1,
I had this done at another clinic and they needed to know within 2 days if you wanted to know the fetal sex. Once the sample has started being processed it is too late to request it. I would call FMC and check.

Diege Wed 08-May-13 18:23:26

That sounds sensible Jane, though bear I mind if it's the FMC you're going to the price goes up quite considerably if beyond 10 weeks (that is if they're still doing the offer).
sooper it wasn't mentioned at all to me at the FMC, and there was no ref to sex on the info' sheet. I know they offer it at other centres, though you have to pay extra. Having said that the dr doing the scan I had before bloods were taken for the harmony was 85% baby was a girl (angle of the nub) - will see if he was right in 4 weeks time!

BryanBeattie Wed 15-May-13 22:05:21

The test is now widely available in the uk. Detection rate 99pc and will also work for twins from 20th May. Prices vary and some centres charge extra for a scan or an amnio if the test is positive. Fetal sexing is 99pc accurate and it works any time from 10weeks
Bryan

BryanBeattie Wed 15-May-13 22:05:36

The test is now widely available in the uk. Detection rate 99pc and will also work for twins from 20th May. Prices vary and some centres charge extra for a scan or an amnio if the test is positive. Fetal sexing is 99pc accurate and it works any time from 10weeks
Bryan

Hazemum Thu 16-May-13 07:51:11

Hello just to add to the original question, I have recently had the harmony test at the Fetal Medicine Unit as when I had my recent 12 week NHS scan/combined bloods it came back with a risk of 1:68. My previous child was 1:500. I was given two options i.e. csv or amino and only at the end was the Harmony Test mentioned. We opted for the Harmony Test and when I had the scan/combined bloods (you need to have this done privately at the Fetal Medicine Unit before you have the Harmony) it came out with a risk of 1:38. Even worse than NHS. However, when Desserie (she was lovely, not too sure of spelling of her name) she said the baby looked normal from the scan and would be surprised if the Harmony Test didn't come back negative. I heard on Monday that the test was negative (massive massive relief) and that there was a less than 1:10,000 risk. Highly recommend Fetal Medicine Unit and hopefully one day the Harmony Test will be offered on the NHS.

RTchoke Sun 19-May-13 19:20:03

Hi

I started this thread back in my first trimester. My NHS combined test was 1:10 for Down Syndrome and I had the Harmony Test at the FMC when it was brand new to the UK. My Harmony result was 1:10,000 which was a great relief although throughout my pregnancy I had m

RTchoke Sun 19-May-13 19:23:27

Sorry posted too soon!

... I had moments of fear because I had not opted for a diagnostic test after my terrible combined test. Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that my baby was born this week and he is healthy and normal and gorgeous. I just wanted to let people know as this thread was so helpful to me during those early, scary weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now