NT 3.2 mm at 12+4. Is this bad?

(19 Posts)
SomethingSuitablyWitty Tue 13-Nov-12 20:46:36

Goodness, you poor thing! How awful that must have been. The bleeding must have been terrifying. It sounds like a good outcome though and hopefully an isolated incident? And it's very good news that the clotting issue has been flagged up and is treatable. Well, everything crossed for you and little DS3 that all will be well. Rest and relax if possible. Take very good care and let us know how things are going.

amyboo Sun 11-Nov-12 14:07:23

Well, we didn't do the amnio in the end, as the week turned out a bit differently to how we'd planned... I've just come home from a five day, four night stay in hospital. Had a massive bleed and cramping on Monday, when I thought I was losing the baby. Got rushed to hospital to discover that baby was fine, but they thought I had a fairly big placental abruption, due to placenta praevia. Bleeding thankfully stopped on Monday night, so they kept me in and rescanned on Friday to check the baby's growth. He (yes, a third boy!) had grown and was still happy, and they discovered thankfully that I didn't have a placental abruption, but instead had a separation between the amniotic sac and the uterus (subchorionic haematoma?). Anyway, they've let me home, but I have to take it easy for a couple of weeks and am off work for the foreseeable. Have another scan on Friday to check progress. To top it all, they've also discovered I may have a blood clotting problem where my blood clots too much, so I'm now on daily blood thinning injections until I get the results back from some tests in a month. It may possibly be an explanation for our loss of DS2.... Anyway, I'm hoping that DS3 stays hanging on in there. The scan on Monday showed a nasal bone at the perfect size for the age of the pregnancy, so we're a bit reassured anyway.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Thu 08-Nov-12 13:11:56

Hi Amyboo - just checking in to see how the amnio went yesterday. Hope it was fine and you have been able to rest since. Will the reslts come through soon? Everything crossed for you.

RTchoke Sat 03-Nov-12 12:34:27

Sorry just realised Friday was yesterday and you must have had the amnio. I hope all is well. x

RTchoke Sat 03-Nov-12 12:33:15

Hi Amyboo,

Good luck on Friday. I hope your amnio goes smoothly and gives you the all clear.

I got a measurement of 3.2mm at my nuchal yesterday and I'm only 11+4. they did see a basal bone though. I'm now waiting on by blood results and a new test I've had which looks for the baby's DNA in the mother's blood and Is 99.5% reliable at detecting Downs. The waiting is a killer isn't it?

If it gives you hope my DD2 was 3.1mm at 12 weeks and was born without any abnormalities.

Good luck again.

amyboo Mon 29-Oct-12 20:08:24

Well we've gone with the gynae's recommendation (mostly because we're both really stressing) and I've booked the amnio for next Wed (7th). It's not with my normal gynaecologist, but hopefully it'll be OK. Fngers crossed... I keep thinking the worst though.

Thanks for the recommendation about independent midwives something. I live in Wallonia, but had a lovely independent FR speaking midwife come out to me after I lost DS2. She can do monitoring at home pre-birth, so I'm hoping to get that organised if/when I get a bit further along.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Mon 29-Oct-12 15:12:28

Hi Amyboo - I'm glad to hear the risk was so reassuring from the bloods. Naughty baby to keep lying the wrong way to see the nasal bone! I really can't comment on the NT measurement as I haven't the experience, but I'd say that if you trust your gynae and his/her opinion, you could go for it and get some definite answers once and for all. It does all sound pretty encouraging on the whole and at 32 you are not in a high risk range.

BTW: I dunno if you'd be interested in some extra, less medicalised support, but I found these independent midwives (Flemish - speak english) a really great ressurance and they can do the home visits etc after the birth (instead of the hospital midwives) if you so choose. They are really nice and I am in contact with them again for my present pregnancy, though also in the hands of a gynae. They have a lot more time than a doctor and when I had a few small hiccoughs at the end of my last pregnancy, it was always they who picked it up, because they really take the time to listen to your concerns etc.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.

newbie6 Fri 26-Oct-12 16:42:18

Hi

That is good news given your bloods and measurement so hope you are a little more reassured. A risk of 1 in 2850 wouldn't normally suggest you need further screening however at the end of the day it is your decision and if you feel you would be more reassured knowing for definite as opposed to being given a statistic, go for it.

It is just as important that you can go through your pregnancy with as much peace of mind as you need so whatever you decide, I am sure everyone will support you. What is good though is that I think given the latest results you can hopefully take some reassurance that all the odds are in your favour.

x

amyboo Fri 26-Oct-12 12:12:11

Well, I've had my blood test results back and got a risk of 1/2850. The gynaecologist still couldn't see the nasal bone today, as the baby is facing my spine, but he measured the NT and it seems to be down to around 2mm. I'm 14+4, so I know this measurement doesn't really mean anything though.

The gynaecologist thinks we should still do the amnio, especially as I'm nearly 33 and the blood tests are not 100% reliable. The amnio risk here in Belgium is lower than in the UK - around 1/250-1/300 - and he seems to feel that the pros outweigh the cons. DH and I had got ourselves into the mindset of having the amnio, so think that we'll maybe still go for it. I'm a bit worried that something might go wrong, but also can't get away from the worry that in 3 pregnancies this is the first time I've ever had an NT measurement of over about 1.5mm... I guess I'm just worrying that the measurement still might mean there's something wrong.

Helpful advice gratefully received!

Overreactionoftheweek Wed 24-Oct-12 10:06:18

I had a measurement of 6.1mm and with my blood tests, I was given a 1 in 56 risk. I went for the cvs and thankfully all was fine. Ds is 1 on Saturday!

Fingers crossed for you. The high measurement alone doesn't always means the worst - hope Friday helps ease your nerves a bit

amyboo Wed 24-Oct-12 09:49:43

Haven't had my blood results yet - will get them on Friday when I see my gynaecologist. Am hoping we can see the nasal bone on the scan as well, as that would put my mind at rest a little bit.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Tue 23-Oct-12 15:30:11

Hi Amyboo. So sorry that things have been complicated in this pregnancy, especially after everything you've been through with the loss of your DS. Did your bloods come back yet and were they reassuring? Hope the scan on Friday can also help to set your mind at rest. Crossing everything for you!

amyboo Mon 15-Oct-12 08:28:07

Thanks everyone for the supportive messages. I spoke with my gynaecologist again on Friday and he said he doesn't recommend the CVS for any of his patients, as he feels the miscarriage risk is too high. He also felt that at 13 weeks I'm too far near the end limit for CVS. I'm in Belgium, so things are done a bit differently here. He said we can definitely do another scan when I see him a week on Friday to check if there's a nasal bone and that the only reason he didn't see it last week was because of the baby's position. I know that seeing the nasal bone won't rule anything out, but it might put my mind at rest a bit if we see it, and/or terrify me further if we don't see it. I guess me and DH have to just sit tight, wait it out and hope for the best. Am praying that my little rainbow is OK as I've been longing for a second baby for so long now sad

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 13-Oct-12 20:39:58

Our measurement was similar, 3.8 mm from memory. I was offered an amnio too, which I declined as decided it wasn't worth the risk.

DS is 6 months now and fine. He was born with two holes in his heart we later discovered, which can account for the increased measurements. One hole has closed already and the other is small & isn't causing him any problems.

So sorry to hear about your DS2 sad

hmo2b Sat 13-Oct-12 19:20:20

I feel for you. We had a very similar nuchal measurement at our 12 week scan, which, when combined with my age (37) and blood results resulted in a 1 in 112 risk. Like you, I was offered a CVS or amnio and decided on the amnio. I am sat here now feeding my 9 month old son who was born fit and healthy. Between getting the initial results and waiting for the amnio I had several conversations with the screening midwife and the organisation, ARC. Both provided very useful and reassuring advice and information. If you do choose to go down the amnio route, all i can say is that I didn't find it an awful experience. In fact, the waiting is probably the worst part. I really hope you get positive news. My fingers are crossed for you.

Earhat Fri 12-Oct-12 19:19:26

I just wanted to wish you lots of luck and I'm sorry you are going through all this worry. We had an NT of 6mm which was huge. Sadly it wasn't good news but I did a lot of research during the wait for the results and 3.2 is within the normal range. I guess because you have had a problem before they are keen to get solid answers.
I am so sorry to hear about your stillbirth, my heart goes out to you. You just don't know without the amnio results, but this NT measurement at this stage really doesn't sound bad at all.
You are bound to be worried having been through so much already but I am sure that any tiny anomaly will get checked out this time round so try not to worry (probably a complete waste of time saying this I know). I have been told that if we are lucky enough to get a bfp again that every step will be monitored. I know this will result in me being a nervous wreck but I will try to remember that this is normal for hospitals taking care of someone who has had previous dificulties.
Wishing you all the good luck out there. Earhart xxx

katiecubs Fri 12-Oct-12 10:28:20

You poor thing so sorry you are having to go through this worry. An NT of 3.2, whilst slightly high, is still within the normal range - i think most hospitals count up to 3.5 as normal so please try not to worry the chances are everything will be just fine!

Mine was over 5mm at 10 weeks and had increased to 8mm at 11 weeks - for me the outcome was not good but my measuremenets were way above the normal range. Even then though you will see many stories in this section from women who have had much higher measurements than yours and had positive outcomes. Good luck x

newbie6 Thu 11-Oct-12 23:16:29

Hi, sorry you are going through this, it is always so worrying. I was 2.9 and combined with bloods came back as a 1 in 7 but having deciding to go for a cvs, was told our baby was absolutely fine so don't think it will be bad news as in the majority of cases it's fine. I had my NT at just under 12 weeks but I know lots of women who had similar measurements to you at a similar stage and they were fine. I cannot imagine how hard this must be given what happened to you but I wanted to share my experience as I know when I was waiting for the cvs and subsequently the results, it's so easy to think negatively. I guess the only way you will know for sure is to have a cvs or amino but hopefully with your blood results it may reassure you. Either way, thinking lots of positive thoughts for you and your baby x

amyboo Thu 11-Oct-12 20:17:57

I'm 12+4 and just had my scan today.the baby was very high up in my uterus, and my doctor had trouble getting a good view of the neck with the trans-vaginal ultrasound. He managed to get a view with the abdominal ultrasound, and took 3 measurements. They came back at 2.7mm, 3.2mm and 3.2mm. He still couldn't manage to spot the nasal bone from either uktrasound, as the baby was turned away and didn't reallywant to move. He was happily wiggling around though - kicking his legs out, and the femur measurement seemed OK. I'm 32 and this is my 3rd pregnancy, although I previously lost my DS2 at 36 weeks.

My doctor is now recommending an amnio in 3 weeks time and I'm terrified. I'm doing the blood tests on Saturday, but my doctor thinks that I'll still need to have am amnio, as he thinks that the NT measurement merits further checking that the blood tests won't be able to rule out....

I guess I just wondered if anyone else had been in this position? I'm terrified at the thought of losing this baby after my recent stillbirth sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now