Nuchal scan at 13+6

(9 Posts)
YokoOhNo Thu 11-Oct-12 10:17:28

I hope we haven't worried you. Dont know how old you are, but I was an older first time mum of 35+ and so i had a higher risk of Downs, which was why it was important to me to get the tests done at the best possible time.

cookiewuk Wed 10-Oct-12 18:17:49

Oh dear Im getting more worried now! I may consider going private but that will probably mean i won't be able to afford the 4d scan i was hoping for later on and then I'll be annoyed at myself if my dates were wrong and i could of got away with the nhs one :/ Think I'll talk to dh tonight when he gets in n see what he thinks.
Thank you everyone for sharing you experiences!

hoviscat Wed 10-Oct-12 18:02:50

I didn't have my '12 week' scan until around 13.6 weeks either.They weren't able to do the tests so I had the blood test at 16 weeks, which came back as high risk for downs. I went on to have an amnio and as it happens all was well. When I later saw my consultant (about another pregnancy related issue!) He told me that the blood test is much less reliable!!

When we hopefully get round to having dc2 I will be making sure I have my 12 wk scan 'on time'!

YokoOhNo Wed 10-Oct-12 17:46:08

13+6 is the last possible day. If you are a day out, they can do the tests but the accuracy will be diminished. This happened to me when the hospital said they couldn't do my 12 week scan until I was 14+2 hmm. In the end, I went private for the scan and neuchal fold test. It cost me about £100 at the Foetal Medicine Centre in London (it's not for profit - money is ploughed into neo-natal research) and it all happened in the space of an hour and a half, plus 8 free scan photos. Is going private an option?

cookiewuk Wed 10-Oct-12 17:25:08

Well i phoned up and that was the first available appointment. I explained that I unsure of my dates but she said it was accurate up to 14+1 and even if i was out the blood test at 16wks is only marginally less accurate. I can also phone up every day to see if there is cancellation which tbh Im tempted to do but don't want to seem pushy or obsessive!

ipswichwitch Wed 10-Oct-12 15:23:02

I had it done at 13+6, which I was told was the cutoff date. They did manage to get the measurements, but I understand that any later and they aren't accurate and you can have the blood test, which isn't as curate as nuchal fold measurement

AlfieBear87 Wed 10-Oct-12 15:17:41

I'm now 15 weeks pregnant and wasn't sure of my due date when I went for my 12 week scan. Turns out I was 13+6 and they did the downs test fine - measured the back of the neck and did the blood tests too.

katiecubs Wed 10-Oct-12 15:15:41

I'm pretty sure 13+6 is the last possible day they can do the scan, after that it's not considered reliable.

If i were you i would ask for an earlier date because if it happens you measure 1 day over then they won't be able to do it.

cookiewuk Wed 10-Oct-12 13:41:00

Hi I got my appointment today for my 12 wk scan but by my calculations I'll be 13+6. Has anyone else had the scan performed this late and is it still reliable in detecting Downs Syndrome? Thanks in advance x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now