Nuchal scan at 13+6

(9 Posts)
cookiewuk Wed 10-Oct-12 13:41:00

Hi I got my appointment today for my 12 wk scan but by my calculations I'll be 13+6. Has anyone else had the scan performed this late and is it still reliable in detecting Downs Syndrome? Thanks in advance x

katiecubs Wed 10-Oct-12 15:15:41

I'm pretty sure 13+6 is the last possible day they can do the scan, after that it's not considered reliable.

If i were you i would ask for an earlier date because if it happens you measure 1 day over then they won't be able to do it.

AlfieBear87 Wed 10-Oct-12 15:17:41

I'm now 15 weeks pregnant and wasn't sure of my due date when I went for my 12 week scan. Turns out I was 13+6 and they did the downs test fine - measured the back of the neck and did the blood tests too.

ipswichwitch Wed 10-Oct-12 15:23:02

I had it done at 13+6, which I was told was the cutoff date. They did manage to get the measurements, but I understand that any later and they aren't accurate and you can have the blood test, which isn't as curate as nuchal fold measurement

cookiewuk Wed 10-Oct-12 17:25:08

Well i phoned up and that was the first available appointment. I explained that I unsure of my dates but she said it was accurate up to 14+1 and even if i was out the blood test at 16wks is only marginally less accurate. I can also phone up every day to see if there is cancellation which tbh Im tempted to do but don't want to seem pushy or obsessive!

YokoOhNo Wed 10-Oct-12 17:46:08

13+6 is the last possible day. If you are a day out, they can do the tests but the accuracy will be diminished. This happened to me when the hospital said they couldn't do my 12 week scan until I was 14+2 hmm. In the end, I went private for the scan and neuchal fold test. It cost me about £100 at the Foetal Medicine Centre in London (it's not for profit - money is ploughed into neo-natal research) and it all happened in the space of an hour and a half, plus 8 free scan photos. Is going private an option?

hoviscat Wed 10-Oct-12 18:02:50

I didn't have my '12 week' scan until around 13.6 weeks either.They weren't able to do the tests so I had the blood test at 16 weeks, which came back as high risk for downs. I went on to have an amnio and as it happens all was well. When I later saw my consultant (about another pregnancy related issue!) He told me that the blood test is much less reliable!!

When we hopefully get round to having dc2 I will be making sure I have my 12 wk scan 'on time'!

cookiewuk Wed 10-Oct-12 18:17:49

Oh dear Im getting more worried now! I may consider going private but that will probably mean i won't be able to afford the 4d scan i was hoping for later on and then I'll be annoyed at myself if my dates were wrong and i could of got away with the nhs one :/ Think I'll talk to dh tonight when he gets in n see what he thinks.
Thank you everyone for sharing you experiences!

YokoOhNo Thu 11-Oct-12 10:17:28

I hope we haven't worried you. Dont know how old you are, but I was an older first time mum of 35+ and so i had a higher risk of Downs, which was why it was important to me to get the tests done at the best possible time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now