Citalopram success stories

(23 Posts)
Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 15:51:12

Hi everyone,

After trying to battle my PND on my own for 4 months Iv had enough and decided to take my citalopram that has been sat in my cupboard for a month. I'm pretty scared of side effects and hoping these will work !! Can anyone share and stories with me ? To put my mind at ease. My dose is 10mg.

Thankyou xx

alloutofnameideas Mon 14-Nov-16 16:01:18

I take 20mg a day and after the first couple of weeks of feeling a bit shaky I'm much better. Sometimes forget to take it and can notice a difference in my stress levels

Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 16:38:46

Thankyou for such a quick reply, I suppose I can't feel worse than I do ! ,

Pocketsizedpixie Mon 14-Nov-16 16:41:19

I found that I didn't particularly notice any side effects, but started to feel significantly better within about two weeks of starting them - I wish I'd done it sooner. I hope they help for you too.

Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 16:50:55

THankyou ! I'm so so hopeful ! I'm desperate to feel myself again, it's been a long 4 months sad I'm just scared the side effects will be severe but then again that could be my anxiety as I mainly suffer anxiety. Thankyou x

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Mon 14-Nov-16 16:54:30

I'm on 10mg and felt loads better after a couple of weeks. Didn't have any side effects apart from felt quite tired the first few days of taking them but that could of been a coincidence.

Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 17:01:41

Fab Thankyou smile this is making me feel much more at ease ! x

AChristmasCactus Mon 14-Nov-16 17:04:38

I take 20 plus 300mg Quetiapine for bipolar. I was told that 10mg is not enough for a therapeutic effect, so yours might need to go up a bit. Be prepared to ask your GP. It took four weeks to work for me.

dovesong Mon 14-Nov-16 17:06:05

Felt a bit sick the first few days but miles better after that and much happier too. Like a cloud had been lifted. Delighted I decided to go on them. Good luck with it smile

Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 17:17:51

You guys are awesome Thankyou ! X

Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 17:33:44

Can I ask what time of the day would be best to take the Meds ?

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Mon 14-Nov-16 18:21:27

I take mine at night, because they made me sleepy at first. Hopefully you'll snooze through any other side effects! Good luck flowers

debka Mon 14-Nov-16 18:25:48

I've been taking 20mg of citalopram for about 5 months. Feel like me again. Fabulous stuff and no side effects. Agree that 10mg is a low dose though, you may need to titrated up.
I take mine at night too.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 14-Nov-16 18:33:16

I've been taking 20mg for just over 3 weeks now. The first 4 or 5 days I felt I was a bit high everything was very fuzzy and I felt queasy and I thought I would have to stop taking them because I couldn't cope with the feeling but I continued and I'm so glad. Pretty much bang on the 2 week mark I felt like my old self like a weight had been lifted and I could see things clearly again. Best thing I ever did was finally go to the Doctor and tell him how I had been feeling.

weaselwords Mon 14-Nov-16 18:40:19

I had no side effects and it worked like a charm for me when I had a mild/moderate agitated depression.

Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 18:43:02

Thanks all. I'm sat here with a much better mind set, I'm hoping they knock me out so I can have some proper sleep tonight ! Xx

Rebocalucy Mon 14-Nov-16 20:42:47

Right guys Iv just taken my first tablet ! I did start to have a panic attack afterwards but I managed to control this and it's calmed ! Wish me luck ! Xx

AChristmasCactus Mon 14-Nov-16 22:10:33

Good luck and well done smile

Eehbaguhm Mon 14-Nov-16 22:35:55

I was on 10, 20 then 40mg for severe PND/PTSD. I had an upset stomach for a couple of days when first taking them but felt a lot more able to cope with things after a few weeks.

After 18months of medication coupled with psychotherapy I was back off the tablets and over 2yrs later have had no return of depression, despite having had a second baby a few months ago.

I think my abusive exH leaving me when our child was one had a lot to do with my recovery but I really hate to think how I would have got through that time of my life without the Citalopram. Best wishes to you.

StuntNun Mon 14-Nov-16 22:51:12

I had a bit of nausea to start with and some issues with jaw clenching BUT then I also remember walking into the kitchen at home saying "What's different about me today? I'm smiling!" The side effects were a slight nuisance but the benefits were huge.

notagiraffe Mon 14-Nov-16 22:54:12

I loved it. It was brilliant. Completely cured PND and reminded how it felt to think normally again. Some of the happiest, calmest years of my life were on Citalopram. It helped me really enjoy being a mum.

Downside was that after a long time (after two-three years on it) I gained weight and got very sluggish. It's a gradual side effect that's very common, so don't stay on it too long if possible.

Rebocalucy Tue 15-Nov-16 07:50:12

Just thought I'd update you all ! I had a rough nights sleep but I think that was due to my anxiety of taking the pill and not actually the pill itself. I don't feel overly anxious or anything today. Maybe just abit tired ! Xx

AChristmasCactus Tue 15-Nov-16 20:25:18

That's great Reb, onwards and upwards smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now