Postnatal Depression - A Dad in need

(3 Posts)
user1474643886 Fri 23-Sep-16 16:30:51

Hi Mumsnet,

I post this in full knowledge that I open myself up to a load of "you're a d**khead" comments. But here goes.
I need your help.

My partner and I have a now 5 month old baby boy. (Her 2nd child)
She had a terrible and traumatic pregnancy and a horrific emergency section.
The first few weeks of them being home, life was amazing. Truly.

Then the girl I love seemed to fade away, initially I put it down to tiredness and hormones.
Her doctor prescribed her some tablets for postnatal depression, I was so proud of her for finding and accepting help.

However,

The weeks that followed, we grew apart, she felt I didn't want her, I felt she didn't want me. We fought about everything, not just fought these fights were horrible.
She said a lot of things which she accepts now she didn't mean and were designed to hurt me.
Things carried on, the accusations started the constant suspicion and questioning.

I ran, quicker than anyone ever ran before.
I left her with the boys and had an affair.

I even went back one evening to find her in full meltdown and still left her.

Anyway, she got help. Her postnatal depression has been rediagnosed as postnatal psychosis and her tablets have been changed accordingly.

She found out about my fling and naturally that's broken her, she's stuck between wanting me and hating me. Stuck between needing my support and wanting it from anyone but me.

I didn't recognise the signs, I should never have left.

Any ideas on what to do now?

Thanks

Merd Fri 23-Sep-16 22:06:29

Hello new user. Just to say, I don't think you'll get any answers in this section of Mumsnet. Your cheating isn't a problem caused by your partner's condition, symptoms, or medication, or even her at all - it's completely down to you and how you fundamentally approach your relationships.

If you honestly want answers from the community here, and you're right, no one will sugarcoat things, you'll probably need to report your own post and ask for it to be moved to the "relationships" section.

Banananananana Sun 02-Oct-16 09:21:06

^ this.

Also, it's not you in need, it's your wife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now