Do I realistically have any chance of getting NHS help for antenatal depression?

(4 Posts)
SaveMeTheWaltz Mon 07-Dec-15 11:59:04

Currently 13 weeks pregnant with what I hope will be my third child. DD1 is almost four; DD2 very sadly died shortly after she was born due to a complication in late pregnancy. I also had a mmc between DD2 and this pregnancy. I am just about functioning in terms of looking after DD1 and basic self-care (eating, washing, exercise, etc), and turning up for my teaching job which is one day per week. I work from home the other four days, and literally spend them curled up in a ball crying all day. This has been going on since about six weeks. I have no interest in going out / seeing friends / holding a conversation with DP. The thought of leaving the house exhausts me.

I told the midwife at my booking in appointment that I was worried about antenatal depression; she said that she would refer me (I'm not sure to who - mental health services?) but that it would take a while and that I might be better off contacting my GP. Last time I went to my GP it was to try to seek some counselling following the death of my daughter; I was referred to a telephone assessment service who judged me insufficiently depressed to receive any help. So basically I'm not feeling positive about my chances of getting help this time round either.

Any positive stories from people who have managed to receive help (particularly counselling) from the NHS for antenatal depression? Especially people who are more-or-less functioning (so probably not the most urgent cases) but still feel themselves slowly going under?

KatyN Mon 07-Dec-15 20:16:17

I've had loads of support from the nhs for depression whilst pregnant. I have been fast tracked for cbt too. I would speak to your gp and your mw again. I am also consultant led and have had extra appointment with them through mh care.

I wasn't really functioning by the time I got my referral though.

CottonSock Mon 07-Dec-15 20:20:16

I had fantastic support from gp and health visitor. Please go and see your gp. Go private if you want, but the support is there if you ask for it ( in my opinion and experience)

rageagainsttheBIL Sat 13-Feb-16 04:26:32

I know this thread is a few months old but I hope you are OK OP.

If you are pregnant they tend to fast track you to the top of lists for counselling etc although there are of course waiting lists. There are many charities out there which support women with antenatal and perinatal depression too. (As well as PND and child loss charities) So if you don't get anywhere with the GP there are other avenues potentially.

However I'm sure if you told the phone assessment people what you've written here they would judge you need help. I know it sounds awful but I would try to call them when you are not having a good day, I know my levels and moods fluctuate a fair bit week to week.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I had a MMC and that alone has really messed with my mind in this pregnancy, I can't imagine what it must be like to have that plus the loss of your DD2 on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now