PND developing after 10 months or just the effect of prolonged sleep deprivation?

(3 Posts)
Brugmansia Thu 26-Dec-13 15:17:10

DS is almost 11 months. He's always been a bad sleeper and other than the odd few days has woken at least every 2/3 hours. Added to that I frequently then am unable to get back to sleep and am still awake the next time he wakes. He barely naps during the day either so I have never been able to catch up then. Unsurprisingly I am now absolutely shattered.

Over the past month or so the way I am feeling seems to have shifted. I'm crying regularly and it is often triggered by trivial things or just comes upon me out of nowhere. I am constantly on edge and snap at completely minor things, either getting very angry at DP or breaking down into tears. Last week when out christmas shopping I became very anxious and had a panic attack, which I've never experienced before.

The past week or so have suddenly got worse, partly because I am having problems with my work, which I am due to return to in a month. Part of how I am feeling is about that, eg. frustration at how they are acting and feeling that things are out of my control. The effect on how I feel though seems disproportionate and I've started having very negative thoughts about my life as a whole, feeling very trapped and that I am a weak and incompetent person. The only good thing is DS.

Even though I've been very tired all the time since DS was born I've been coping and mainly happy. I now feel overwhelmed. Could this be PND, so late after DS was born. Or is it just a the accumulated effect of being so sleep deprived coupled with the anxiety of returning to work? I'm not sure what to do? Should I go to my GP?

Rachelx92 Thu 26-Dec-13 18:09:17

I think you need a long sit down in a big comfy chair with a glass of red. We can dream smile I think you're under lots of stress right now and lack of sleep defo doesn't help with work worries thrown on top. A visit to the docs will do no harm

CountBapula Thu 26-Dec-13 18:20:01

It sort of doesn't matter whether it's PND or 'just' sleep deprivation - the result is the same (ie you feeling tearful and anxious). I felt the same as you when DS was six months old, and was in a similar situation with sleep and anxiety over going back to work.

I saw my GP and did the depression questionnaire thingy, which showed I was suffering from 'moderate depression'. They referred me v promptly to a counsellor for CBT, which helped massively. Luckily I also landed another job at the end of mat leave which lessened my anxiety about work (my old employers were being a pain in the arse). I never really worked out whether it was 'proper' PND or not, but like I said, it sort of didn't matter.

Go to the doc - it can't hurt. Hope you feel better soon - I know exactly how you feel, and it's awful thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now