Where to go for help

(7 Posts)
RuckAndRoll Wed 05-Jun-13 12:05:52

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll start here and will move if needed. Not sure what I'm after with posting this, maybe writing it will help on its own.

I've always been an anxious and stressed person, sometimes to the extent I won't leave the house but it usually calms down in 24/48 hours. I'm now 30 weeks pregnant and it's getting so much worse and really starting to affect DH as well. His Mum has MH problems and he's desperate for me to get help.

One of the biggest things is worrying what others think of me, to the extent I won't leave the house some days, and needing to really organised and prepared for every eventuality.

I go through phases of knowing I need to ask for help then revert to telling myself it's fine and a normal part of pregnancy hormones. Last night I was very resolute that I need help and was going to call the GP this morning, but now I'm panicing about what the GP will think about me

Would I be better waiting for my next mw appointment in 2 weeks and bringing it up then?

arghhh. no idea what help I'm after really. Does anyone know what the mw or GP would do if I went to them and asked for help? Would it put my baby on some sort of risk register?

I would talk to your GP. Make a list of how you feel so you don't rush through it or downplay how you are feeling when you get there.

They won't put your baby on any risk register, but they will then be aware that you need support and that you may need extra support after the birth.

It's not uncommon, so don't worry what the GP will think of you. Pregnant women suffer anxiety and depression just as much as anyone else and you won't be judged for it.

RuckAndRoll Wed 05-Jun-13 20:16:46

I tried to phone for an appointment, the surgery was closed for some reason, at 3pm. so no answer sad
if I make the app I can always cancel it - telling myself that at the moment.

You can, but try not to. Hope you get through today x

RuckAndRoll Thu 06-Jun-13 09:58:11

DH was quite annoyed they didn't have someone answering the phone. I think if I can't get through today he'll be phoning for me.

jacquiemccloy Sun 16-Jun-13 02:24:27

I don't know if this helps or not especially because it's been a few days since your post now but I have an anxiety and panic disorder that I developed at 13 (almost 9 years ago now!) I also developed an impulse control disorder as a result of keeping things bottled up which saw me pulling out my hair (I never saw it as self harm but apparently it is). I didn't go to see or talk to anybody until last year when DH helped me. I can't honestly say that I feel seeing my GP helped that much (basically because i didn't like the treatment options not because of the GP he was fantastic!) but it did help me become more open with my MH problems which has helped my confidence to grow somewhat.

The reason I'm telling you this is that one of my biggest fears/anxieties is childbirth, and I'm currently 16+3 with first baby. I love the thought of having a family with DH but I'm pretty much convinced 90% of the time that I will die giving birth and never meet my baby. I know how stupid that sounds don't worry! Well my GP obviously knew of my medical history and my midwife brought it up the first time I saw her, they referred me to talk to somebody they think might help and said there are some anti anxiety medications that are safe to be prescribed while pregnant if necessary but I don't want meds.

There was no mention of them thinking there's any risk to the baby and I was put on the no risk pathway for my prenatal care. smile

Also my husbands grandmother had anxiety and raised 4 children without a problem and without anybody thinking she was a bad parent.

MH is more widely accepted now and you should find speaking to your GP kind of like a weight lifted off of your shoulders. They will help you over come your problems and you shouldn't feel judged or thought of in an ill way...if you do I'd make a formal complaint and seek a new GP/MW.

You will be a wonderful mother, because it goes much deeper than yourself once the little one arrives and he/she will give you the strength you never knew you had to do the things you know need done even if you don't feel up to it smile. Good luck x

scottishmummy Sun 16-Jun-13 02:34:43

congratulations on baby news. call gp book appt, talk to mw
your gp will ask you some how it going questions,your routine,in order to work with you
essentially it's about keep you and baby well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now