Should I start taking antidepressants?

(3 Posts)

Hi,

My DD is 4 weeks + 3 days and I've been suffering from baby blues/depression since the birth. The first two weeks were the worst but I still feel anxious and hopeless most of the time. I feel trapped and miss my "old life". I make an effort to get out of the house every day and meet my friends etc, but feel like I can't really enjoy anything that I used to find fun and relaxing. I have spoken to my HV and GP and they've referred me to the PND service. I'm currently on a waiting list for one to one counselling and will start baby massage classes on Thursday. I also have a wonderful DP and family and friends who are all very understanding and supportive. I do have some better days but in general I feel low and scared that I will never be happy again or able to enjoy motherhood.

I'd have so much more to write but I'm feeling really tired so will have to keep it brief. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone could give me some advice on whether I should start taking antidepressants? I'm reluctant to take them as I'm breastfeeding and feel like I should be able to manage this without medication, but on the other hand if they really help then it might be better to start taking them sooner rather than later. How do they make you feel? And how soon do you start feeling better?

I think there are some antidepressants that you can take while breastfeeding. Even if there aren't, in my opinion the benefits of breastfeeding would be outweighed by the benefits of having a well mother who isn't suffering from PND.

The antidepressants often take three or four weeks to really kick in, so it's important to give them time.

In the meantime, company and support from trusted friends or family can be vital, so please keep going with your routine of getting out of the house and meeting up with friends as you're already doing.

somewherebecomingrain Wed 16-Jan-13 10:31:38

Hi OP - sertraline, an SSRI, is passed in very low quantities into breastmilk - the lowest of all the SSRIS - and is untraceable in the 'infant plasma' in most cases. Not an expert but I think that means for most women it is categorically safe in that it doesn't even get into the baby through breastmilk. there are a few women who it does get into the baby in small quantities but not many.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now