Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What would you spend on a gift for a new baby??

(40 Posts)
aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 15:56:07

Hi, I am looking for some help please..... I have got a few friends and family members due to have babies in the near future and was wondering what you would think is a reasonable amount to spend on the new arrival??

BikeRunSki Sun 06-Jan-13 07:40:27

I usually get a taggy, embroidered with the baby's name. There is a lady on eBay called Hedgehog Gifts who makes them for around a tenner.

Parn Sat 05-Jan-13 22:16:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Parn Sat 05-Jan-13 22:14:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Parn Sat 05-Jan-13 22:13:27

sweetkitty Thu 18-Aug-05 16:30:44

Have sent £40 in mothercare gift vouchers before, now that money is tighter would probably spend £20 on relative/close friend and about £10 on a little outfit on others.

compo Thu 18-Aug-05 15:42:49

It is the Pink Bunny Top And Trousers Set on this page

MaloryTowers Thu 18-Aug-05 15:39:54

close friend/family £20

other friends tenner

compo Thu 18-Aug-05 15:38:32

I bought a newborn outfit from Next today that was only £6.99. It was for a girl but they had smilar ones for boys at the same price. It was a lovely top and bottoms.

ark Thu 18-Aug-05 15:36:13

by!!! Buy oh lordie I am too hot to think sorry!

ark Thu 18-Aug-05 15:35:46

maw - exactly what I do!! Is so nice I also added the best selling book in the week they are born - and it my more concensus ones a reciept for milk and bread! Like a time capsule in a way! have to say if its somebody special i oftne by treats for the mum and dad - posh bubble bath or something like that!.

My sister always said the best gift they ever got was a baby sleeping bag - might be worth a look.

moondog Thu 18-Aug-05 15:03:18

Great idea mawbroon!
I like cooking so tend to make something for the harassed new parents (main meal,not biscuits).

mawbroon Thu 18-Aug-05 14:55:35

I always maintain that it's the thought that counts and for the last few babies that have been born I have given them a box file (pretty one - not office grey) which contains the newspaper, number one CD single and video tape of various tv programmes all from the day they were born. All in all, less than a tenner, but pretty much guaranteed that no-one else will buy the same thing. I am also thinking of carrying on the theme and doing the same for significant birthdays as the kids get older.

Not everyone's cup of tea I know and it requires a little bit of organisation, but I know that the parents don't have time on that day to buy the newspaper or set the video!!

Tinker Wed 17-Aug-05 17:12:38

Depends - can usually get loads in the Sales. But I am cheap.

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 17:10:57

off to find that Vuitton link now lol ...

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 17:08:50

ignore what I said about £10!
sh is lovely, I only really know her from ante natal on here but I can tell she is really really nice and special

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 17:02:27

Well i cant really say what i was thinking of as Sweetheart is one of the people i need to buy for. Being my best friend and DS's Godmother i need something good. She got lovely things for Jack, but I know she will already have ordered or been thinking of ordering the same for her bubs.

Whilst I agree that cost isnt everything and that the essentials are REALLY useful, I personally wanted to get something a bit different. I just wanted to guage what others might spend... This has been really helpful so far

clary Wed 17-Aug-05 16:56:24

I have just (today!) bought some new bibs for neighbour’s baby. It is a 2nd child and I recall that that was the best prezzie I had when ds2 was born (bibs the others wore were so disgusting!).
They cost £4 from M&S. I think that’s fine, it’s about a thoughtful gift, not an expensive one.
I was perfectly delighted with some of the littlest presents I got - a spider rattle that ds2 loved which probably cost a couple of quid, some 0-3 vests for ds1 that were the most useful thing in a very hot summer, etc.

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:55:32

we are just discussing this on the December thread, strangely! sh suggested it ... lol

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 16:53:57

Well ninah, if you havent chosen a name for your bump, then by all means have Hack

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:51:55

nah, I'm sold on Hack now lol!

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 16:50:38

Would help if I could spell my ds name!! Jack

munz Wed 17-Aug-05 16:50:27

I spent £15.00 on each of my friends boys when they were born, it managed to get 3 outfits that could be mixed and matched to make more iycwim. both were v good friends.

my cousins G/F is PG and due around the same time as me, as they've got less than we have i'll probably spend £15 on clothing and get them some toiletrys etc as well for about the same.

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:45:57

fwiw I spend about £10

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:45:23

Hack sounds like a very young avant garde fashion designer, as in 'oh, i'll get Hack to run me up a little something'

sweetheart Wed 17-Aug-05 16:43:32

Hack - who's that??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now