Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

What would you spend on a gift for a new baby??

(40 Posts)
aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 15:56:07

Hi, I am looking for some help please..... I have got a few friends and family members due to have babies in the near future and was wondering what you would think is a reasonable amount to spend on the new arrival??

compo Wed 17-Aug-05 15:57:52

I really think it depends on your income. When I was working I would have said £20. Now that money is tight I'd say £10

Bozza Wed 17-Aug-05 16:09:26

Depends on who the baby is IYSWIM. For my nephews I spent £35 ish. For v. close friends about £20. For other friends and DH's cousins babies (seem to be born every couple of months!) something like £12-15.

tarantula Wed 17-Aug-05 16:18:04

I think it seriously depends on your income. We are seriously broke so to me £10 is a lot ie 1/5th of my weekly budget but to others say like my mum £10 is very little.

FairyMum Wed 17-Aug-05 16:19:48

I normally by a cute little outfit and you can easily get that for 10-20 pounds. I don't think anyone looks at the price tag.

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 16:20:18

Thank you..

I wanted to get something a bit different, but wasnt sure what limit I should have..

kid Wed 17-Aug-05 16:21:10

You can buy a foot or hand imprint gift for £5 in Index (thats what it used to cost) and I think it makes a lovely gift.

steffee Wed 17-Aug-05 16:22:58

Depends on your own income, how many gifts you have to buy (in your case, quite a few), who's baby it is, e.g. sister, friend, cousin, v. distant relative, and who is having the baby (e.g. someone v. skint who'd be happy with a pack of nappies, or someone v. rich who'd turn their nose up at anything not designer). Also whether the baby is the first or subsequent (though I know that shouldn't matter but it does).

mummyhill Wed 17-Aug-05 16:35:57

Family members I usually spend between £15 and £20 although if it were my sister or sister in law I think it would be considerably more as they has spent a small fortune on my little bundles. For friends I tend set a limit of £10. At the end of the day it depends on your budget, any gift no matter how small is allways appreciated. I found with this I made a list of what we needed and asked for vouchers towards these items if people felt they were too expensive. I also mentioned that nappies and johnsons products would be very welcome as we have friends who are on a tight budget and I wouldn't want them to feel that they had to go out and buy something expensive.

sweetheart Wed 17-Aug-05 16:38:23

is one of these gifts for me!!!! !!!!!

sweetheart Wed 17-Aug-05 16:39:31

Only the very best - you need to spend at least £1000 hee hee

Perhaps the Louis Vitton changing bag I saw earlier

hello you!!!!

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 16:41:10

No Hack is making someting for the new arrival.. he is very talanted for 4 months

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:41:44

don't go there .. she'll give you a link lol!

trace2 Wed 17-Aug-05 16:41:47

hi why dont you buy a few things like baby bath, shampoo talc each week put in a nice box collect until babys born had somthing special if you want

sweetheart Wed 17-Aug-05 16:42:59

oy ninah - take your cheap toilet roll and piss off!!! ROFL !!!!!!

sweetheart Wed 17-Aug-05 16:43:32

Hack - who's that??

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:45:23

Hack sounds like a very young avant garde fashion designer, as in 'oh, i'll get Hack to run me up a little something'

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:45:57

fwiw I spend about £10

munz Wed 17-Aug-05 16:50:27

I spent £15.00 on each of my friends boys when they were born, it managed to get 3 outfits that could be mixed and matched to make more iycwim. both were v good friends.

my cousins G/F is PG and due around the same time as me, as they've got less than we have i'll probably spend £15 on clothing and get them some toiletrys etc as well for about the same.

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 16:50:38

Would help if I could spell my ds name!! Jack

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:51:55

nah, I'm sold on Hack now lol!

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 16:53:57

Well ninah, if you havent chosen a name for your bump, then by all means have Hack

ninah Wed 17-Aug-05 16:55:32

we are just discussing this on the December thread, strangely! sh suggested it ... lol

clary Wed 17-Aug-05 16:56:24

I have just (today!) bought some new bibs for neighbour’s baby. It is a 2nd child and I recall that that was the best prezzie I had when ds2 was born (bibs the others wore were so disgusting!).
They cost £4 from M&S. I think that’s fine, it’s about a thoughtful gift, not an expensive one.
I was perfectly delighted with some of the littlest presents I got - a spider rattle that ds2 loved which probably cost a couple of quid, some 0-3 vests for ds1 that were the most useful thing in a very hot summer, etc.

aprilmeadow Wed 17-Aug-05 17:02:27

Well i cant really say what i was thinking of as Sweetheart is one of the people i need to buy for. Being my best friend and DS's Godmother i need something good. She got lovely things for Jack, but I know she will already have ordered or been thinking of ordering the same for her bubs.

Whilst I agree that cost isnt everything and that the essentials are REALLY useful, I personally wanted to get something a bit different. I just wanted to guage what others might spend... This has been really helpful so far

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now