Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone Trying Hypnobirthing?

(103 Posts)
Seabird Thu 24-Feb-05 21:28:51

I've seen from a few threads that various people have done hypnobirthing courses and I thought it might be nice to start a thread to compare our experiences.

My midwife suggested hypnobirthing for me for my 2nd (due in April). I did a weekend course at 29 weeks and am really excited about the birth. I'm aiming for a waterbirth at home. I wanted this last time too but my waters broke and I ended up being induced with syntocinon/epidural/forceps/stitches etc etc - really hoping things work at home this time, but hopefully the techniques will help me deal with whatever happens.

Meantime the rainbow relaxation CD sends me to sleep every time dd naps, which is handy!

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who's already given birth using hypnobirthing, too.

Frankiesaysrelax321 Wed 24-Apr-13 10:52:21

http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2013-03-14/london-hospital-trials-hypno-birthing/

Hi everyone I came across this, and thought I would share

StripeyCircle Wed 06-Feb-13 14:43:53

Again, I know this is an old thread, but as another big fan of HypnoBirthing, I thought it would be helpful to post a link for anyone that's interested in this area, for the HypnoBirthing Association which has a directory of trained teachers and lots of information about it if you want to find out more.

tamc Sun 02-Dec-12 23:28:06

Just read your comments and i can say that as Chair of the UK HypnoBirthing Board (Mongan Method) the results i have seen over the past 6 years teaching it are incredible.I had a painfree birth with HypnoBirthing and i also work as a doula and have witnessed many women enjoying labour.If you choose HypnoBirthing you will prob see my DVD of UK births....It will be the best investment you have ever spent and yes i agree make sure your course is 12.5 hours as it should be.Tamara Cianfini xx

hypnobirthbespoke Tue 27-Nov-12 11:03:42

I used HypnoBirthing for my second child after a very traumatic first birth, and had a wonderful pain free labour and my daughter was 10lb 3oz..... didnt even end up with stitches as i used mother directed birth breathing!
i was so amazed i trained to be a practitioner and now teach in manchester www.hypnobirthbespoke.co.uk

gmvp73 Thu 23-Aug-12 07:20:52

I know this is an old thread but in case someone finds this helpful, i used hypnobirthing very successfully first time round, and will soon use it again for my second. Hypnobirthing is very effective, and classes really helpful. In Greenwich, Blackheath, south east London and Kent borders there's ZenBirth www.zenbirth.co.uk. Couples from all different backgrounds attend the classes with practical, logical approach to how labour and birth can be a manageable, comfortable and positive experience.

CheshireDing Thu 26-Jan-12 06:08:51

This thread is from 2005

thedogwalker Sat 14-Jan-12 19:35:49

Hi all, I did the natal hypnotherapy with DS in August 2010 and I am planning to do it again in June this year when I give birth to DC2. I did live abroad and did a one day, one on one course with a threapist, who went through everything with DH and me. Dh was very sceptical didn't believe at all. I also bought the CDs to listen to and found them very relaxing. My labour lasted 8 hours from first twinge to finally pushing DS out. DS had his arm above his head causing me to tear quite badly and I had to have over 20 stitches, but I listened to the CD the whole way through, went to my 'happy place' and I didn't have any pain relief whatsoever, not even when they had to cut me in the end to get him out. I was fully aware of everything going on and I believe it kept my mind focused, so that I could make good and clear decisions when I needed to make them, plus I was fully awake etc. DH then believed that teh CDs worked, when he realised how much I tore and how much blood I lost and yet I didn't require pain relief. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but I found it a great experience and I hope to repeat it (without the tearing) next time grin . I wish everyone luck and I hope you find it helpful xx

PeterScott Fri 13-Jan-12 14:24:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

notcitrus Fri 29-Jul-11 15:51:40

I read the Mongan book a lot which certainly calmed me down a lot pre-birth and when the time came I can't remember consciously doing anything other than breathing through the contractions but was incredibly calm and chilled out (except for a bit when my SPD managed to get worse and I needed an epidural for that, not the labour - apparently this is incredibly rare).

The effect did wear off about 10 hours after birth though.
I think it helped me be calm which helped MrNC and my other partners be very calm as well, so that's another benefit.

Though I might have been calm in labour anyway, but it was nice to read about other people not panicking with pain etc.

jomouse Fri 29-Jul-11 15:14:39

Does anyone know the difference between HypnoBirthing and Natal Hypnotherapy?
My reflexologist is proficient in Mongon method but I was planning on using Natal Hypnotherapy CD's
I don't know if the two compliment each other or if this would just confuse me...?
I am very excited about everything I have heard, can't wait to put it into practice

Alioco Thu 21-Jul-11 12:19:54

Heyj - did you have your course at Thomas's?
I'm thinking of going one in Sep so was wondering how you got on?
Thanks

kiteflying Fri 10-Jun-11 09:34:18

I used Natal Hypnotherapy CDs for my first baby, and did the course offered in London. The course was really useful - a full weekend with lots of practice for my partner. The CD's were great for alleviating fear before the birth and I used self hypnosis and breathing to get through all pre-labour and most of first and second stage. Highly recommended. Be careful of combining with gas and air, as you have to breathe entirely differently and it kind of messed with what I was doing to the extent that I lost the plot.

rebelwithoutababy Tue 31-May-11 17:22:57

Which CDs has everyone been using? I am really keen to give it a go...thanks!

MrsTH Sun 15-May-11 04:04:36

I did hypnotherapy and loved it. It helped me stay calm before the birth - I was absolutely terrified. I use to listen to the CDs during nap time and my baths. I think the key is to practice the techniques often so they become 2nd nature.

I was so calm after my waters broke - my husband and mother could not believe it. I usually pass out when they draw my blood!! I had a 7 hour labour with only gas and air. I did ask for an epidural at one point but as it turns out, I was in transition and it was too late so I had to manage with my hypnobirthing techniques. The truth is, I just did. I wasn't even aware of it but the midwife told me how well I had done with it. When I asked how much longer, she told me about another hour. After a few more breaths my LO was born. It only seemed like 15 minutes to me but it was in fact just over an hour.

My husband was also a greet support. We went to the classes together so he knew how to help keep me calm. All in all, it was wonderful experience and I would whole-heartedly recommend it.

CheshireDing Sun 01-May-11 12:58:45

I am hoping to try this for my first baby due in October, I would like a home water birth and mw didn't seem to have an issue with it when I mentioned it to her - DH however is a different matter smile

PamSco Sun 01-May-11 10:55:39

I'm bumping this thread as I am signing up for a course locally. MW used hypnobirthing and said it was excellent.

This is my 1st and not overly petrified - maybe I should be!

Of the people who planned on using it if you are still in mn - how did it go?

Affra Thu 03-Mar-11 23:11:38

Time Lady here. Journalist didn't get it all right. I did Mongan Method for my 2nd AND 3rd births. It made a HUGE difference. HOWEVER, there are a lot of people out there trying to do this and there is no registering body - so please go with a tried and tested method. Also I highly recommend learning from a practitioner whom is a midwife or doula, and someone whom you feel very comfortable with.

1st birth - 26 hrs, gas and air, meptid, sentosin (this REALLY hurts!!!), 2nd degree tear. Difficult bonding with baby and resentment for pain/suffering. Drugged daze. Very unhappy baby for months.

2nd - 5 hrs, Home birth w hypno and pool, drug free. Deep relaxation and 'pain' boarder line discomfort/pain. Instant bond with baby. Oxytocin flowing and love love love. 1st degree tear. Happy easy baby.

3rd - 3 hrs Home birth w hypno and pool, drug free. I wanted to crack jokes with the midwives between surges, but was afraid they might think I wasn't in labour and go home! Deep relaxation and 'pain' boarder line discomfort/pain even tho baby back to back. Instant bond with baby, siblings both attended the birth and LOVED seeing baby born. No tear! Oxytocin flowing and love love love. Really happy and easy baby.

I look back on my 2nd and 3rd births with joy. Wonderful experience. Women were built to birth, but media and bad birth/scare stories have deeply set fear into us. Fear triggers pain.

Hypno birthing - if you believe you can, or cannot, you are RIGHT!

2011jules Thu 20-Jan-11 08:34:19

Was a bit of a skeptic but decided as I was freaking out at the thought of all the medical stuff I would give it a go.
I used Natal Hypnotherapy relaxation cds from early in my pregnancy to calm my complete medical phobias and then the preparing for birth and relaxing birth music cds later on. They were incredible one time as the midwife listened to my babys heartbeat and sternly informed me it was fast because of my stress I used the visualization and breathing techniques and could hear the resulting calming of the heartbeat!shock
I wanted a homebirth but DS decided he wasn't coming out until 17 days over so hospital it was (with hysterics) During labour I was in pain until I put on the cd and then I promptly fell asleep for the whole first stage and most of the second - until they woke me up and demanded I push.
I would recommend the cds and poss the course if you can afford it ( I didn't) but it does help if your attending midwife has experience, my first was brill and trained in hypnobirthing but when she went of duty I feel I got "production lined".
These cds def kept me calm and helped me to deal with everything.

Heyj Fri 14-Jan-11 21:57:20

I've just signed up for a one day course at St thomas' with a midwife there, it's much cheaper (£95) we couldn't afford the longer course but I'm hoping we'll get a few helpful tips.

soandsosmum Tue 04-Jan-11 22:21:38

has anyone met someone who's found the course a waste of time and money? i'm 21 weeks and hoping to do a course later this year, but it is very expensive

nannyl Mon 03-Jan-11 09:29:41

*or

nannyl Mon 03-Jan-11 09:29:28

another bump here

i really want a hypno birth (idealliy at home)
can you learn what you need to know from just the CDs of do you really need to pay for a course as well?

luBEEdooBEE Thu 16-Dec-10 18:27:40

this is my first time on here and am pleased i found this thread i see its an old one so hoping people are still around to answer my questions.

we have a hypnobirthing practioner near us but the snag is its over 200 pound for the course which we dont have, we cant use the hip grant as this is needed for baby things etc but i have bought the mongan method book with cd and listen to the cd most nights before i go to sleep, sometimes i fall asleep during then other times i am awake through it all. i started reading the book but found it a bit silly in places with all the different wordings, i dont think i would remember them all, but i am really keen on the idea of being more relaxed in labour. do you think there is a different cd or book that would be more useful?

jallardyce Wed 15-Dec-10 16:07:50

I tried it with my last nd found a great instructor in london for hypnobirthing at st thomas'.

Was great - 2 sessions a week apart so could come back with plenty of questions!!

ohmeohmy Wed 02-Sep-09 14:43:32

Depends what you want to learn about. hypnobirthing will cover breathing and relaxation techniques, nutrition, exercise, selfhypnosis, role of the birth companion, negotiating the birth you want with your caregivers, positions for labour, fear release, building your confidence etc. You won't learn about medical pain relief methods which you will do in NCT. I will declare an interest as I teach HypnoBirthing. Last 3 couples had done both and took something from both classes but told me that our class really left them feeling ready for their births.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now