Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Antenatal classes near Streatham

(429 Posts)
sara75 Thu 06-Sep-07 13:02:12

Hi everyone, I am desperately trying to find some antenatal classes around Streatham; I am due in January and would like to get some classes with my partner. Had a look at the NCT ones but they look very pricy....
and the ones run by Bump2Bubba are a bit far for us(although not impossible so still considering them).
And if you also know of any actvities for mums to be in the area I would really appreciate the information !!!!
Thankssssssssssssssss

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 14-Aug-08 11:22:41

i thought about hypnobirthing but it's just so expensive...I know someone in Streatham who did a course she said was fab, cost about £300...she's sadly moved from streatham now so can't join our club, but I can ask her for the details if you're interested?

she's taped the cd's for me though, so will let you know if I think they work in October!

Boobz Thu 14-Aug-08 11:33:04

Have ordered a hypnobirthing book and accompanying CD. Haven't got a scooby if it's my kind of thing but am willing to give it a go.

Have ordered 8 books actually, all from Amazon yesterday. Straight on the credit card!

Crazycatlady Thu 14-Aug-08 14:20:24

Mmm I might get a book first before investigating courses then, it's rather a lot of money!

Time to visit Amazon...

notcitrus Thu 14-Aug-08 20:07:53

I'm not planning to give birth at home - I'm just trying to scare the builders into getting a move on by telling them I am!

Finally went to the Backs&Babies class at St Georges today - it was very hot and not very useful because I'd already been through most of the problems it talked about. But if you're less than 6-7 months it's probably worth going to (they run it every fortnight). I spend so much time at George's it feels like home anyway!

Boobz Thu 14-Aug-08 20:27:19

I was at St Georges today, for my dating scan. 9 weeks today! Early doors.... was good to see the bean - I really am pregnant!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 15-Aug-08 10:45:49

yay boobz - had my dating scan at St G's walk in place too, brilliant isn't it...we were also 9 weeks then at 12 week scan told it was 13 weeks...I went to dating scan expecting to be told 4 weeks so was a mega surprise (poor pickled baby!)

Boobz Fri 15-Aug-08 11:23:36

What do they do at the 12 week scan? Can you see loads more than at 9 weeks?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 15-Aug-08 11:47:32

yeah tons more - it's amazing how much ti changes in that time! Not sure about you but at 9 weeks I could see the heartbeat and a massive head with a wee body with stumps for limbs - by twelve weeks (also at St G's, before I transferred)I could make out the start of individual fingers and thumbs, the first laying down of bone structure, head and body already in more proportion

it's so exciting!! am welling up a little even thinking about it and that I don't get to see my LO til it's born! oh and 20 weeks is even better!

KT1983 Fri 15-Aug-08 13:32:14

Hi, Im new to this site & ive just been reading through all the posts...
I am also from the Streatham/Furzedown area and a mum to be - 15weeks, had our scan last week and we have a healthy little bean, so all exciting! :-)
Im not originaly from London, so was hoping to find some fellow mum to be's.
Was wondering If I could tag along to your meet up? If thats ok, where is the place in streatham?

Boobz Fri 15-Aug-08 13:52:13

Of course it is KT - the more the merrier! The place we are talking about his a cafe called Perfect Blend - it's about the classiest establishment in Streatham which does struggle with a lot of greasy chicken joints and smelly pubs! It's a little haven...

and it's on the high Road, very close to Streatham Hill Station, but on the other side of the road.

Will be good to have someone around who is a little closer to me in the pregnancy stakes - I am lagging well behind at 9 weeks!

KT1983 Fri 15-Aug-08 14:01:32

Im not far at all from Streatham hill, so thats all good!

I read your post about your 9 week scan - I had a early scan at 8weeks too - when you have your next one its amazing to see the difference! I was desparate to find out the sex but the sonographer wasnt giving anything away! (even though I could tell she had an idea)

how you coping with the sickness? - mine has just about dissapeared...thankfully!

Whens your due date?

Boobz Fri 15-Aug-08 14:43:57

No sickness - just tired and sore boobs.

19th March

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 15-Aug-08 14:51:59

KT1983 would be great to have you on board - is this your first baby?

KT1983 Fri 15-Aug-08 15:49:20

GirlWithTheMouseyHair -

Yes its my first baby - im very excited...but probably more nervous than anything.
How about you? First baby?
Im glad im past the first trimester now - im waiting for the 'bloomng phase' to kick in now...as of yet, no such luck!
It seems like there are quite alot of people on this thread coming to the meet up - glad I came across this website, such a great idea.

Crazycatlady Fri 15-Aug-08 16:15:26

Hi KT! Lovely to have another Streatham lady with us smile.

Glad your sickness has passed. I had the most soul destroying constant nausea for the first 15 weeks and I literally never thought it was going to end, SUCH a relief when it went!

I'm not going to around online now until the day before our PB meet, but thought I'd pop on and say hi to everyone, and isn't it nice to have a sunny day!

Anglepoise Sat 16-Aug-08 00:03:55

Hello ladies! Afraid I'm spying on you as an ex-Streathamite (moved oop north two weeks ago).

I'm the one who did the hypnobirthing course, so if anyone wants any info then let me know.

Was going to say something else but forgotten what (isn't baby brain fun? hmm) blush

Anglepoise Sat 16-Aug-08 00:05:42

That was it! If anyone does want an osteopath, I can also recommend Martin at the Leigham Practice, who has just cured the hip pain I've been suffering with for over a decade. Also had a fab pedicure there a couple of months ago with Michelle, who I believe is also a MNer (and does a mean foot rub for PG ladies grin)

Boobz Sat 16-Aug-08 00:18:44

You're just following me onto my night shift threads now Anglepoise... <stalker alert>

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 16-Aug-08 22:37:51

ha ha angelpoise knew you wouldn't be able to stay away!! best bring that baby down to meet us all once you're settled

KT - it's my first baby too (in fact all of us but one eeek can't remember who, who already has twins)

on subject of leigham court practise, I'm going to their pregnancy massage session with michelle - she said being hubby along and she'd basically teach him how to massage me during labour to release endorphins etc...sounds brill so will let you all know how I get on

dannigirl Sun 17-Aug-08 11:50:41

Hey ladies,

Was hoping I can crash your thread. I am currently 32+3 due Oct 11th with first baby and would love to meet up with other Streatham/Streatham Hill mums. Currently doing antenatal with Valley Practice (missed last week though as was away).
I am 32, married, been on maternity leave for a couple of weeks now so would be great to meet up with other mums in the area. We are hoping for home from home birth at St Thomas'.
Can I rudely invite myself to the meeting on 26th at PB, I have GP appt at 5pm but could pop along afterwards.
Hope to hear from you soon. grin

Boobz Sun 17-Aug-08 19:58:10

Of course Danni - the more the merrier! We have quite the little gang growing here...

And another homebirther! We must be bucking the stats trend for our little corner of London...

dannigirl Sun 17-Aug-08 20:18:36

Hi Boobz,
Thanks for your reply. I am not having a home birth, hoping to give birth in the home from home birth centre at St Thomas' - which is a midwife led unit. Not brave enough for a homebirth for the first one!!!
Looking forward to meeting you all.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 18-Aug-08 12:49:26

nice work - think there's about 6/7 of us now? someone best get there early enough to commandeer the big table with the comfy sofa/bench round it by the bar!

danni, you're so lucky having finished work already...am so bored and have absolutely no motivation whatsoever!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 18-Aug-08 13:54:02

am a knobhead - in my mind we're meeting on 26th september, don't know why but am now gutted because that translated as my last day at work ebing next week but it's not, it's not til 26th september...can still make next tues so not an issue, just annoying that I have way more time to go til i leave work than i thought.....stoopid pregnancy brain, I'm off to buy chocolate croissants

Hello, I am too late to join in? So chuffed to have found this thread...I'm due 3rd October, 1st baby....Live in the middle of Streatham...also not far from Leigham Arms!
Looked into antenatal groups purely to meet some local mums but after realising how pricey NCT was and how late we were trying to join, we haven't actually been to any classes and I'm due in 7 weeks! Would love to meet up... I'm in coundown mode with 4 weeks left at work but could come to Perfect Blend around 6ish I think.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now