Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Antenatal classes near Streatham

(429 Posts)
sara75 Thu 06-Sep-07 13:02:12

Hi everyone, I am desperately trying to find some antenatal classes around Streatham; I am due in January and would like to get some classes with my partner. Had a look at the NCT ones but they look very pricy....
and the ones run by Bump2Bubba are a bit far for us(although not impossible so still considering them).
And if you also know of any actvities for mums to be in the area I would really appreciate the information !!!!
Thankssssssssssssssss

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 11-Aug-08 13:25:31

Boobz - if you're at St George's the NHS antenatal classes will be different (didn't realsie you were a streatham lass like notcitrus too - tons of us wanting HB's!), I'm with Streatham Midwives because I'm booked with St Thomas's and they operate from Gracefield Gardens new health centre, alongside Valley (who are also St Thomas's based community midwife team).

I have a number for a great yoga teacher in Streatham - though she's not doing anything over the summer and starts again in September, give her a call then. drop me an email at above address and I'll pass on her details

Boobz Mon 11-Aug-08 14:37:38

Hi G -- when you say "above address" - where am I looking (sorry for being useless). If I click on the envelope then I think I have to pay £5 to be able to email you, is that right?

Does she have a website? Can you post her website address?

notcitrus Mon 11-Aug-08 15:30:23

Just to say if with St Georges, phone up ASAP and ask about antenatal classes, as when I got to my booking appt there weren't any left before my due date!

(admittedly this was partly because my booking appt was nearly 22 weeks, but still). They're run by the local NCT tutor who is excellent - I've learnt so much from my NCT classes which people I know who had other NCT classes didn't.

Georges have agreed I can keep someone with me at all times and will try to give me a private room, so I'm not thinking about a homebirth any more. Maybe if I have another baby...

I have a lovely osteopath in Balham if anyone is in need!

Boobz Mon 11-Aug-08 16:45:31

Hi Nocitrus -- was that the only reason you were thinking of a HB? Because you wanted a dedicated midwife all the time? How have you persuaded them to do that for you in the hospital -- I thought you just had to go with who was on duty and hoped you delivered in their shift before they changed?

Crazycatlady Mon 11-Aug-08 17:52:57

Boobz the Valley team is a small local team of midwives who work on a caseload basis, I'm under their care for this pregnancy. They're based around South London, they're only 4 of them, and they work into St Thomas's.

They run antenatal classes at the new medical centre at Gracefield Gardens, might be worth seeing if you can attend these even though you're St George's?

I'm very up for keeping in touch with you all since we're so close and getting together for a coffee in PB! (I'm in the middle of Streatham too, in between the High Rd and Valley Rd, nr the Leigham Arms.)

Boobz Mon 11-Aug-08 18:04:15

Am in Streatham Vale - near Greyhound Lane. I have an "I HEART STREATHAM" t-shirt from PB. So classy.

Thanks for the explanation Valley team. I have been in touch with Albany Midwives but other than that am waiting to find out more about how it all works from George's midwife next week. Fingers crossed a HB is straight forward.

Crazycatlady Mon 11-Aug-08 18:24:13

I so badly want one of those t-shirts! I have one of the little badges

notcitrus Mon 11-Aug-08 18:44:34

Boobz - no, I'm not fussed about the midwife, I just wanted to ensure my partner could stay with me after birth, despite the usual policy being that they get kicked out between 10pm and 8am, so he or another birth partner can do communication support. They've now said that will be fine (given the alternative would be a palantypist being paid about £50/hour on call for a few nights, there was quite the incentive!)

Unlike lots of people I really want my partner there all the time but I'm quite content with a midwife just checking on me every 15 minutes until the final bit - I don't think I'd want one there for every contraction! I've now seen 4 midwives (3 at Georges, one community one via my GP who is attached to Mayday), and talked to three on the phone, and they've all been great. And while I'm hoping not to see them, Mr Ugwumadu and Mr Thonet, two of George's obs+gynae consultants, are both excellent and Mr U is particularly lovely.

I have however told our builders that I'm having a homebirth so if they don't get a move on they may end up having to look at it!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 12-Aug-08 10:46:22

hey girls - I have a badge too but not got the t-shirt yet!

if anyone wants Kathleen's number (streatham yoga) drop me an email to my "spam" account: spudletloy@googlemail.com - she doesn't have a website and don't really want to post her number up here. She's away now til august but worth getting in touch with in september again - I've not had lessons with her yet but she comes highly recommended

notcitrus didn't realise you'd decided against homebirth now - am the same as you in terms of wanting my partner there most of all. still deciding on HB, but got another 5 weeks til we'd have to book it in

Am I the first due streatham girl then? 21st october? would be really up for organising a coffee in PB in september if you all are?

notcitrus Tue 12-Aug-08 11:23:19

I'm due 13 Sept so will try to pass on my experience (probably in a very short format...)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 12-Aug-08 11:40:21

we could organise summat earlier then if you wanted notcitrus?

Crazycatlady Tue 12-Aug-08 12:32:41

Def up for a PB meet

I'm not due til Boxing Day so I'm lagging behind you girls a bit!

Happy to meet whenever, I'm busy up to the Aug bank hol then quite free after that.

Boobz Tue 12-Aug-08 13:22:13

I am keen for meeting but will probably feel a bit of a fraud as I don't even have a bump yet! I work from home so can do days as well as evenings after work. Anyone want to suggest dates and we can get something in the diary?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 12-Aug-08 14:33:16

you don't need a bump to attend! anyway, it'll soon come...you're coming up to your 12 week scan soon aren't you?

what are evenings like for everyone w/b bank holiday monday?

I finish work at 5 so can be at PB by 5:30!

Boobz Tue 12-Aug-08 17:16:36

I can do 25, 26 and 27 (Mon - Wed) and the same the following week, 1 - 3 of Sept.

Crazycatlady Tue 12-Aug-08 18:09:22

I can do 26th, or any of the days the following week, 5.30 is do-able as I'll work from home whichever day we choose!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 13-Aug-08 10:56:35

I can do 26th and any the following week too - how is 26th for others? at the risk of seeming like a big loser with too much time on her hands, bit of a role call?

Girlwiththemouseyhair
Boobz
notcitrus*
*crazycatlady

anyone else wanna join?

Boobz Wed 13-Aug-08 11:03:21

So that's the 26th, 5:30ish in the diary. Shall I wear my I HEART STREATHAM t-shirt so you know who I am (since I will be missing a bump)?? Maybe not.

Man it is pissing down in Streatham right now.

What do you all do / age / children you have already etc?

I am 29, working in marketing (from home), married and this is my first as you all know.

Crazycatlady Wed 13-Aug-08 12:28:55

Great 26th it is! I'll wear my bright peach t-shirt so you can't miss me wink

I got caught in that rainstorm on the way to the station this morning, arggh!

Boobz we're practically the same person! I'm also 29, work in PR, married and this is also my first.

p.s. I'm going to be offline from Friday this week until 24th, but I'll check back on this thread on 24th to make sure plans are still on

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 13-Aug-08 14:51:21

yay....I'll be there on 26th then too. I'm 25 and it's my first...theatre director by trade but currently paying the bills by temping - 26th is my last day at work too, so I will totally deserve one of PB's extortionate but amazing milkshakes

btw my name's effie

notcitrus Wed 13-Aug-08 16:53:58

Should be able to do the 26th, assuming still pregnant yet still able to walk a bit...

Went to PB yesterday for the first time for a NCT class reunion - good coffee and fresh orange juice, not great french toast/bacon/syrup. The milkshakes looked great though.
I'm 33, civil servant (on mat leave as of this week!), first baby although closely involved with extendedfamilybaby (10 weeks).

Boobz Wed 13-Aug-08 18:16:05

So as far as I can work out, all of us who have said we are coming on the 26th are having home births (or planning to) - is that right? Bit of a coincidence (although I think you said nocitrus that you were now thinking you weren't going to have one as partner can be with you all the time...?)

And you're all going to do it before me - ha! - so I can learn from your experience.

The Streatham Home Birthers! We should get PB to make a new T-shirt for us to wear saying I HEART STREATHAM HOME BIRTHS.

Again, maybe not.

What happened to squeezebox, Justine and Elkiedee? Can you 3 come on the 26th too?

Boobz Wed 13-Aug-08 18:17:15

I'm Ali, by the way.

And crazycat - yes! - given you want a HB too, it looks like you really are me.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 13-Aug-08 20:36:55

congrats on maternity leave starting notcitrus...lucky you! 6 weeks and counting...

Crazycatlady Thu 14-Aug-08 09:29:53

I agree about the French toast notcitrus, and there's never enough maple syrup! But their other stuff is mostly good and the smoothies/milkshakes are amazing...

Funny we're all going for home births! I'm trying to find out as much as poss about it and natural ways of managing the birth - i'm investigating hypobirthing at the moment. Anyone considering doing a course?

Congrats on the mat leave notcitrus, I can't wait for mine, but it won't be until December!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now