Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Antenatal classes near Streatham

(429 Posts)
sara75 Thu 06-Sep-07 13:02:12

Hi everyone, I am desperately trying to find some antenatal classes around Streatham; I am due in January and would like to get some classes with my partner. Had a look at the NCT ones but they look very pricy....
and the ones run by Bump2Bubba are a bit far for us(although not impossible so still considering them).
And if you also know of any actvities for mums to be in the area I would really appreciate the information !!!!
Thankssssssssssssssss

Furzella Thu 06-Sep-07 13:37:21

Hi Sara. I did NCT ones with Maria in Brixton. You're right, they are pricey, but the mums I met through it were wonderful and I'm still really close to them nearly six years on. In terms of what they taught, they weren't a patch on the NHS free ones at St Thomas's where I had dd1. Whichever hospital you're booked in at is likely to do free or v cheap classes and you might well meet people through that.

I don't know specific antenatal activities in Streatham but am in Furzedown so will ask around. It might be worth contacting the yoga studio on Bickersteth Road in Tooting as I think they do a special pregnany yoga class and if they don't they should be able to put you in touch with someone who does. I was a bit further away then so did my other antenatal stuff in central town.

Once you've popped there are lots of lovely playgroups and mums and tots things round here. It's a nice area to have a baby in smile

sara75 Fri 07-Sep-07 14:09:58

Thanks a lot Furzella, I will keep in touch to get an hint of mums and tots things in the area! Sara smile

lulumama Fri 07-Sep-07 14:13:29

there is a wonderful doula here who does antenatal classes, i am not in london and am crap at geogoraphy, so don;t know if she is near streatham

here is her link

the babymoon

tyaca Fri 07-Sep-07 21:02:49

hey, i'm in streatham hill and found a fantastic looking alternative pregnancy centre on brixton hill on google. full schedule of preg yoga, couples birth prep classes, baby massage, baby & mum pilates etc etc

but since have not found the site again ;-(

same people also run ante natal classes at st thomas' and keep meaning to resume hunt. will let you know if i find it, if you find it sooner - let me know!

Justine1 Sat 12-Jul-08 19:42:15

Hi there

I am living in Streatham and looking for any recommendations on pregnancy yoga classes and also NCT antenatal classed. I am not due until late November but would like to get myself organised

thanks.

Justine

notcitrus Thu 24-Jul-08 13:09:32

Hello, I live in Streatham and have just attended NCT classes in Streatham run by Sophie Dekker - they've been very good and not just 'hippyish "painrelief is bad"' as some other NCT classes apparently are.

She knows her stuff - lots of reference to evidence from 'randomised controlled trials', 'small uncontrolled studies' and 'complete made-up baloney'!

Apparently the antenatal classes at St Georges are also run by NCT tutors and cover the same stuff just in larger groups, but I think you have to book when you conceive - could be worth phoning them though.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 04-Aug-08 12:38:14

just wanted to say hello that I'm another streatham mum to be, if anyone is around - I don't know any other pregnant ladies and only have one friend who's a mum so would be great to know about things going on in the area.

I go to Sitaram Yoga which does all the pregnancy yoga/postnatal/birth rehearsals and is pretty good, but they've closed their streatham branch which means going to brockwell park or St Thomas's.

We're not doing NCT either - just can't justiy the £300 sadly, but will hopefully get on board their bumps and babies stuff

Crazycatlady Mon 04-Aug-08 14:01:27

Hi Mousey, I'm also in Streatham!

We're undecided about NCT, £300 is such a lot, and the class times I was given were 10am on a Monday morning which is far from ideal.

I keep meaning to get in touch with Sitaram and start doing classes, are there not classes nr Brixton Hill/Streatham Hill?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 04-Aug-08 15:12:01

hi crazycatlady how far along are you? Sitaram is great but they've literally just closed their main place iin Streatham Hill - this is the 1st week they're not there and we don't know why, they've not even updated the website yet. There's another woman who runs pregnancy yoga classes in streatham a friend's getting the number for me - will post it for you when I get it if you like?

are you with St Thomas's by any chance? the antenatal classes run by the Valley midwives at Garcefield Gardens look good so I've decided against NCT - bit of an expesnive way to make friends, especially if it means losing a day of work too

poshtottie Mon 04-Aug-08 15:35:28

Justine1, try looking on www.birthlight.com for pregnancy yoga classes.

snickersnack Mon 04-Aug-08 15:43:28

[[http://www.expecting.info/ Not a million miles from Streatham] and I can highly recommend the birth preparation classes if you want something to do with your partner. Also the ante-natal yoga classes are good. There is a yoga class for expectant mothers somewhere in Clapham South, I think, which I've heard good things about.

snickersnack Mon 04-Aug-08 15:44:31

Really should remember to preview before I post...

Try this!

Crazycatlady Mon 04-Aug-08 16:39:33

Yes Mousey we're with St Thomas's and under the care of the Valley team. Gracefield Gardens is literally 5 minutes walk away so I think we'll just go with what they offer there.

This is our first baby, due 26 December, what about you?

Shame about Sitaram, I had my heart set on doing classes there! I'd love to find out about the other classes, do please post the number when you get it!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 10:41:49

lucky you with Valley! I'm with the Streatham team at the moment, hoping to transfer because Valley offer homebirths and we're seriously considering it - our first baby too due october 21st.

I have a number for Kathleen, will send you a private message with it on when I work out how to do that!

I'm going to St Thomas's on Thursday for the sitaram class, will let you know how it is. I'm not sure if they're looking to find a new place around streatham to hold the other classes, think they've just lost the hosue they were based at very suddenly...we're booked in for birth rehearsal with them in september and I really want to do their postnatal and baby yoga afterwards so hope they get it sorted! They are still running their classes at Tommies, KCL and Brockwell Lido though - and NHS Centre Soho

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 10:46:30

ugh - i haven't subscribed...send me an email to an account I send spam stuff to, then I'll email you back from my proper account (just trying to reduce chances of getting spam attacked by posting an email address!)

spudlet@googlemail.com

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 12:18:46

sorry - spudletloy@googlemail.com

Crazycatlady Tue 05-Aug-08 15:36:03

Yes we're aiming for a homebirth too. The Valley team are really supportive, and they're lovely.

Let me know how the yoga goes, I'm going to try to get to their class at Brockwell on Sundays I think as it's not too far.

Crazycatlady Tue 05-Aug-08 16:16:46

p.s. I've emailed you!

elkiedee Tue 05-Aug-08 16:34:48

If you're employed you may be able to take paid time off work (not annual leave) to do antenatal classes, in the same way as antental appointments. It's worth looking into anyway.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 17:19:48

ah sadly as a temp I don't get such a luxury...

squeezebox Mon 11-Aug-08 07:39:03

hiya
am due end of November, have twins who will be 18 months then eek eek!
not doing nct cos of money, but perhaps anyone due around that time may want to form a little group if we keep in touch now?
Am in Streatham Hill.
You do tend to meet people along the way I find, but it's nice to have people going hrough the early days at same time as you...

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 11-Aug-08 11:42:00

I'm really up for that squeezebox...good luck with your twins too! there are tons of twin mummies wandering round streatham - one of my best friends is one of them! am constantly a bit jealous I'm only having one. She's my only friend who's had babies and she's away from september til Jan so will be very up for having some friendly mum faces in the area (even if it's just to grab a coffee in perfect blend when I've been stuck in the house all day!)

I'm kinda mid-streatham, by st leonard's church

Boobz Mon 11-Aug-08 12:49:04

I'm in Streatham too, but a bit behind you ladies. I'm not due until mid March 09, and haven't even had my first scan yet (week today at St George's).

Am hoping to have a home birth, as GWTMH knows as we've seen each other on the home birth thread - hello! I'm a bit confused by all the classes you are talking about. I have been recommended a preg yoga class in Earlsfield but other than that, I haven't really got up to speed with all the classes I should be enrolling in. I'm assuming my MW will tell me more about what I should be attending at my first appointment with her next week?

What are the Streatham and Valley teams? Do I need to be on them?! <confused>

A

elkiedee Mon 11-Aug-08 13:10:04

Boobz, ask your midwife at the appointment about whether the hospital offers any antenatal classes, I found doing that at my booking in appointment this time was much better than waiting until later on, as I did in my first pregnancy, when it was a struggle to get on to anything.

NCT classes are run by a voluntary organisation which charges for classes and also arranges social networks and campaigns for better antenatal/postnatal services etc, and the midwife won't necessarily tell you about stuff like that as it's separate from the hospital. You need to find out what's most likely to help you, and decide whether you can afford it.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 11-Aug-08 13:25:31

Boobz - if you're at St George's the NHS antenatal classes will be different (didn't realsie you were a streatham lass like notcitrus too - tons of us wanting HB's!), I'm with Streatham Midwives because I'm booked with St Thomas's and they operate from Gracefield Gardens new health centre, alongside Valley (who are also St Thomas's based community midwife team).

I have a number for a great yoga teacher in Streatham - though she's not doing anything over the summer and starts again in September, give her a call then. drop me an email at above address and I'll pass on her details

Boobz Mon 11-Aug-08 14:37:38

Hi G -- when you say "above address" - where am I looking (sorry for being useless). If I click on the envelope then I think I have to pay £5 to be able to email you, is that right?

Does she have a website? Can you post her website address?

notcitrus Mon 11-Aug-08 15:30:23

Just to say if with St Georges, phone up ASAP and ask about antenatal classes, as when I got to my booking appt there weren't any left before my due date!

(admittedly this was partly because my booking appt was nearly 22 weeks, but still). They're run by the local NCT tutor who is excellent - I've learnt so much from my NCT classes which people I know who had other NCT classes didn't.

Georges have agreed I can keep someone with me at all times and will try to give me a private room, so I'm not thinking about a homebirth any more. Maybe if I have another baby...

I have a lovely osteopath in Balham if anyone is in need!

Boobz Mon 11-Aug-08 16:45:31

Hi Nocitrus -- was that the only reason you were thinking of a HB? Because you wanted a dedicated midwife all the time? How have you persuaded them to do that for you in the hospital -- I thought you just had to go with who was on duty and hoped you delivered in their shift before they changed?

Crazycatlady Mon 11-Aug-08 17:52:57

Boobz the Valley team is a small local team of midwives who work on a caseload basis, I'm under their care for this pregnancy. They're based around South London, they're only 4 of them, and they work into St Thomas's.

They run antenatal classes at the new medical centre at Gracefield Gardens, might be worth seeing if you can attend these even though you're St George's?

I'm very up for keeping in touch with you all since we're so close and getting together for a coffee in PB! (I'm in the middle of Streatham too, in between the High Rd and Valley Rd, nr the Leigham Arms.)

Boobz Mon 11-Aug-08 18:04:15

Am in Streatham Vale - near Greyhound Lane. I have an "I HEART STREATHAM" t-shirt from PB. So classy.

Thanks for the explanation Valley team. I have been in touch with Albany Midwives but other than that am waiting to find out more about how it all works from George's midwife next week. Fingers crossed a HB is straight forward.

Crazycatlady Mon 11-Aug-08 18:24:13

I so badly want one of those t-shirts! I have one of the little badges

notcitrus Mon 11-Aug-08 18:44:34

Boobz - no, I'm not fussed about the midwife, I just wanted to ensure my partner could stay with me after birth, despite the usual policy being that they get kicked out between 10pm and 8am, so he or another birth partner can do communication support. They've now said that will be fine (given the alternative would be a palantypist being paid about £50/hour on call for a few nights, there was quite the incentive!)

Unlike lots of people I really want my partner there all the time but I'm quite content with a midwife just checking on me every 15 minutes until the final bit - I don't think I'd want one there for every contraction! I've now seen 4 midwives (3 at Georges, one community one via my GP who is attached to Mayday), and talked to three on the phone, and they've all been great. And while I'm hoping not to see them, Mr Ugwumadu and Mr Thonet, two of George's obs+gynae consultants, are both excellent and Mr U is particularly lovely.

I have however told our builders that I'm having a homebirth so if they don't get a move on they may end up having to look at it!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 12-Aug-08 10:46:22

hey girls - I have a badge too but not got the t-shirt yet!

if anyone wants Kathleen's number (streatham yoga) drop me an email to my "spam" account: spudletloy@googlemail.com - she doesn't have a website and don't really want to post her number up here. She's away now til august but worth getting in touch with in september again - I've not had lessons with her yet but she comes highly recommended

notcitrus didn't realise you'd decided against homebirth now - am the same as you in terms of wanting my partner there most of all. still deciding on HB, but got another 5 weeks til we'd have to book it in

Am I the first due streatham girl then? 21st october? would be really up for organising a coffee in PB in september if you all are?

notcitrus Tue 12-Aug-08 11:23:19

I'm due 13 Sept so will try to pass on my experience (probably in a very short format...)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 12-Aug-08 11:40:21

we could organise summat earlier then if you wanted notcitrus?

Crazycatlady Tue 12-Aug-08 12:32:41

Def up for a PB meet

I'm not due til Boxing Day so I'm lagging behind you girls a bit!

Happy to meet whenever, I'm busy up to the Aug bank hol then quite free after that.

Boobz Tue 12-Aug-08 13:22:13

I am keen for meeting but will probably feel a bit of a fraud as I don't even have a bump yet! I work from home so can do days as well as evenings after work. Anyone want to suggest dates and we can get something in the diary?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 12-Aug-08 14:33:16

you don't need a bump to attend! anyway, it'll soon come...you're coming up to your 12 week scan soon aren't you?

what are evenings like for everyone w/b bank holiday monday?

I finish work at 5 so can be at PB by 5:30!

Boobz Tue 12-Aug-08 17:16:36

I can do 25, 26 and 27 (Mon - Wed) and the same the following week, 1 - 3 of Sept.

Crazycatlady Tue 12-Aug-08 18:09:22

I can do 26th, or any of the days the following week, 5.30 is do-able as I'll work from home whichever day we choose!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 13-Aug-08 10:56:35

I can do 26th and any the following week too - how is 26th for others? at the risk of seeming like a big loser with too much time on her hands, bit of a role call?

Girlwiththemouseyhair
Boobz
notcitrus*
*crazycatlady

anyone else wanna join?

Boobz Wed 13-Aug-08 11:03:21

So that's the 26th, 5:30ish in the diary. Shall I wear my I HEART STREATHAM t-shirt so you know who I am (since I will be missing a bump)?? Maybe not.

Man it is pissing down in Streatham right now.

What do you all do / age / children you have already etc?

I am 29, working in marketing (from home), married and this is my first as you all know.

Crazycatlady Wed 13-Aug-08 12:28:55

Great 26th it is! I'll wear my bright peach t-shirt so you can't miss me wink

I got caught in that rainstorm on the way to the station this morning, arggh!

Boobz we're practically the same person! I'm also 29, work in PR, married and this is also my first.

p.s. I'm going to be offline from Friday this week until 24th, but I'll check back on this thread on 24th to make sure plans are still on

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 13-Aug-08 14:51:21

yay....I'll be there on 26th then too. I'm 25 and it's my first...theatre director by trade but currently paying the bills by temping - 26th is my last day at work too, so I will totally deserve one of PB's extortionate but amazing milkshakes

btw my name's effie

notcitrus Wed 13-Aug-08 16:53:58

Should be able to do the 26th, assuming still pregnant yet still able to walk a bit...

Went to PB yesterday for the first time for a NCT class reunion - good coffee and fresh orange juice, not great french toast/bacon/syrup. The milkshakes looked great though.
I'm 33, civil servant (on mat leave as of this week!), first baby although closely involved with extendedfamilybaby (10 weeks).

Boobz Wed 13-Aug-08 18:16:05

So as far as I can work out, all of us who have said we are coming on the 26th are having home births (or planning to) - is that right? Bit of a coincidence (although I think you said nocitrus that you were now thinking you weren't going to have one as partner can be with you all the time...?)

And you're all going to do it before me - ha! - so I can learn from your experience.

The Streatham Home Birthers! We should get PB to make a new T-shirt for us to wear saying I HEART STREATHAM HOME BIRTHS.

Again, maybe not.

What happened to squeezebox, Justine and Elkiedee? Can you 3 come on the 26th too?

Boobz Wed 13-Aug-08 18:17:15

I'm Ali, by the way.

And crazycat - yes! - given you want a HB too, it looks like you really are me.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 13-Aug-08 20:36:55

congrats on maternity leave starting notcitrus...lucky you! 6 weeks and counting...

Crazycatlady Thu 14-Aug-08 09:29:53

I agree about the French toast notcitrus, and there's never enough maple syrup! But their other stuff is mostly good and the smoothies/milkshakes are amazing...

Funny we're all going for home births! I'm trying to find out as much as poss about it and natural ways of managing the birth - i'm investigating hypobirthing at the moment. Anyone considering doing a course?

Congrats on the mat leave notcitrus, I can't wait for mine, but it won't be until December!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 14-Aug-08 11:22:41

i thought about hypnobirthing but it's just so expensive...I know someone in Streatham who did a course she said was fab, cost about £300...she's sadly moved from streatham now so can't join our club, but I can ask her for the details if you're interested?

she's taped the cd's for me though, so will let you know if I think they work in October!

Boobz Thu 14-Aug-08 11:33:04

Have ordered a hypnobirthing book and accompanying CD. Haven't got a scooby if it's my kind of thing but am willing to give it a go.

Have ordered 8 books actually, all from Amazon yesterday. Straight on the credit card!

Crazycatlady Thu 14-Aug-08 14:20:24

Mmm I might get a book first before investigating courses then, it's rather a lot of money!

Time to visit Amazon...

notcitrus Thu 14-Aug-08 20:07:53

I'm not planning to give birth at home - I'm just trying to scare the builders into getting a move on by telling them I am!

Finally went to the Backs&Babies class at St Georges today - it was very hot and not very useful because I'd already been through most of the problems it talked about. But if you're less than 6-7 months it's probably worth going to (they run it every fortnight). I spend so much time at George's it feels like home anyway!

Boobz Thu 14-Aug-08 20:27:19

I was at St Georges today, for my dating scan. 9 weeks today! Early doors.... was good to see the bean - I really am pregnant!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 15-Aug-08 10:45:49

yay boobz - had my dating scan at St G's walk in place too, brilliant isn't it...we were also 9 weeks then at 12 week scan told it was 13 weeks...I went to dating scan expecting to be told 4 weeks so was a mega surprise (poor pickled baby!)

Boobz Fri 15-Aug-08 11:23:36

What do they do at the 12 week scan? Can you see loads more than at 9 weeks?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 15-Aug-08 11:47:32

yeah tons more - it's amazing how much ti changes in that time! Not sure about you but at 9 weeks I could see the heartbeat and a massive head with a wee body with stumps for limbs - by twelve weeks (also at St G's, before I transferred)I could make out the start of individual fingers and thumbs, the first laying down of bone structure, head and body already in more proportion

it's so exciting!! am welling up a little even thinking about it and that I don't get to see my LO til it's born! oh and 20 weeks is even better!

KT1983 Fri 15-Aug-08 13:32:14

Hi, Im new to this site & ive just been reading through all the posts...
I am also from the Streatham/Furzedown area and a mum to be - 15weeks, had our scan last week and we have a healthy little bean, so all exciting! :-)
Im not originaly from London, so was hoping to find some fellow mum to be's.
Was wondering If I could tag along to your meet up? If thats ok, where is the place in streatham?

Boobz Fri 15-Aug-08 13:52:13

Of course it is KT - the more the merrier! The place we are talking about his a cafe called Perfect Blend - it's about the classiest establishment in Streatham which does struggle with a lot of greasy chicken joints and smelly pubs! It's a little haven...

and it's on the high Road, very close to Streatham Hill Station, but on the other side of the road.

Will be good to have someone around who is a little closer to me in the pregnancy stakes - I am lagging well behind at 9 weeks!

KT1983 Fri 15-Aug-08 14:01:32

Im not far at all from Streatham hill, so thats all good!

I read your post about your 9 week scan - I had a early scan at 8weeks too - when you have your next one its amazing to see the difference! I was desparate to find out the sex but the sonographer wasnt giving anything away! (even though I could tell she had an idea)

how you coping with the sickness? - mine has just about dissapeared...thankfully!

Whens your due date?

Boobz Fri 15-Aug-08 14:43:57

No sickness - just tired and sore boobs.

19th March

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 15-Aug-08 14:51:59

KT1983 would be great to have you on board - is this your first baby?

KT1983 Fri 15-Aug-08 15:49:20

GirlWithTheMouseyHair -

Yes its my first baby - im very excited...but probably more nervous than anything.
How about you? First baby?
Im glad im past the first trimester now - im waiting for the 'bloomng phase' to kick in now...as of yet, no such luck!
It seems like there are quite alot of people on this thread coming to the meet up - glad I came across this website, such a great idea.

Crazycatlady Fri 15-Aug-08 16:15:26

Hi KT! Lovely to have another Streatham lady with us smile.

Glad your sickness has passed. I had the most soul destroying constant nausea for the first 15 weeks and I literally never thought it was going to end, SUCH a relief when it went!

I'm not going to around online now until the day before our PB meet, but thought I'd pop on and say hi to everyone, and isn't it nice to have a sunny day!

Anglepoise Sat 16-Aug-08 00:03:55

Hello ladies! Afraid I'm spying on you as an ex-Streathamite (moved oop north two weeks ago).

I'm the one who did the hypnobirthing course, so if anyone wants any info then let me know.

Was going to say something else but forgotten what (isn't baby brain fun? hmm) blush

Anglepoise Sat 16-Aug-08 00:05:42

That was it! If anyone does want an osteopath, I can also recommend Martin at the Leigham Practice, who has just cured the hip pain I've been suffering with for over a decade. Also had a fab pedicure there a couple of months ago with Michelle, who I believe is also a MNer (and does a mean foot rub for PG ladies grin)

Boobz Sat 16-Aug-08 00:18:44

You're just following me onto my night shift threads now Anglepoise... <stalker alert>

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 16-Aug-08 22:37:51

ha ha angelpoise knew you wouldn't be able to stay away!! best bring that baby down to meet us all once you're settled

KT - it's my first baby too (in fact all of us but one eeek can't remember who, who already has twins)

on subject of leigham court practise, I'm going to their pregnancy massage session with michelle - she said being hubby along and she'd basically teach him how to massage me during labour to release endorphins etc...sounds brill so will let you all know how I get on

dannigirl Sun 17-Aug-08 11:50:41

Hey ladies,

Was hoping I can crash your thread. I am currently 32+3 due Oct 11th with first baby and would love to meet up with other Streatham/Streatham Hill mums. Currently doing antenatal with Valley Practice (missed last week though as was away).
I am 32, married, been on maternity leave for a couple of weeks now so would be great to meet up with other mums in the area. We are hoping for home from home birth at St Thomas'.
Can I rudely invite myself to the meeting on 26th at PB, I have GP appt at 5pm but could pop along afterwards.
Hope to hear from you soon. grin

Boobz Sun 17-Aug-08 19:58:10

Of course Danni - the more the merrier! We have quite the little gang growing here...

And another homebirther! We must be bucking the stats trend for our little corner of London...

dannigirl Sun 17-Aug-08 20:18:36

Hi Boobz,
Thanks for your reply. I am not having a home birth, hoping to give birth in the home from home birth centre at St Thomas' - which is a midwife led unit. Not brave enough for a homebirth for the first one!!!
Looking forward to meeting you all.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 18-Aug-08 12:49:26

nice work - think there's about 6/7 of us now? someone best get there early enough to commandeer the big table with the comfy sofa/bench round it by the bar!

danni, you're so lucky having finished work already...am so bored and have absolutely no motivation whatsoever!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 18-Aug-08 13:54:02

am a knobhead - in my mind we're meeting on 26th september, don't know why but am now gutted because that translated as my last day at work ebing next week but it's not, it's not til 26th september...can still make next tues so not an issue, just annoying that I have way more time to go til i leave work than i thought.....stoopid pregnancy brain, I'm off to buy chocolate croissants

Hello, I am too late to join in? So chuffed to have found this thread...I'm due 3rd October, 1st baby....Live in the middle of Streatham...also not far from Leigham Arms!
Looked into antenatal groups purely to meet some local mums but after realising how pricey NCT was and how late we were trying to join, we haven't actually been to any classes and I'm due in 7 weeks! Would love to meet up... I'm in coundown mode with 4 weeks left at work but could come to Perfect Blend around 6ish I think.....

Boobz Mon 18-Aug-08 15:31:41

Role call for Tues 26th Aug:

Boobz
GirlWithTheMouseyHair
Dannigirl
CrazyCatLady
Nocitrus
Kt1983
Sofarsobreech

A veritable party.

KT1983 Tue 19-Aug-08 08:00:22

yeah, definatly in for next Tuesday!

Question....To anyone.....Im only 15weeks - just wondered when people started to get a baby bump?
Not that im complaining, I guess the longer things arent stretched the better! :-)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 19-Aug-08 10:21:48

i felt like I had a bump at about 13 weeks but to be honest it was only if you knew I was pregnant you'd see it! prob by about 15/16 weeks it was more noticeable...that's when people started asking anyway (rather than assuming I'd just eaten too much!)

KT1983 Tue 19-Aug-08 10:49:31

haha - I am an Aerobics Instructor & ive not told my classes that im pregnant, so im waiting for the day they ask if Ive eaten too many chocolate chip cookies or if im pregnant...
Think my belly definatly feels a little rounder....I keep thinking that one morning il wake up & it will have just popped over night!

dannigirl Tue 19-Aug-08 11:28:36

Hey ladies,

Good numbers for the meet up!

KT1983 - I was so ready for my bump, I kept urging it along. I think I really popped out at between 18 and 20 weeks. Now it gets in they way - not that I am complaining but it has come as a bit of a shock (surprising after 30 weeks of preparation!!!!) blush

dannigirl Tue 19-Aug-08 11:30:24

Forgot to say welcome sofarsobreech!!. See you on 26th.

Thanks Dannigirl....looking forward to meeting you all. Think I'm probably about the same.... 34 weeks this week.....felt like my bump took a while to make a noticeable appearance but now there's no stopping it! Feel really big now and have definitely slowed down my fast stomp up to Streaham Hill station every morning.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 19-Aug-08 11:55:55

i wonder how many of us pass each other streatham high road every morning!! i know how you feel sofarsobreech...am 31 weeks today and feel like my bump has grown over night and I can feel the heaviness much mroe now!

Boobz Tue 19-Aug-08 12:56:45

Still shuffling behind you all with only a 9 week no-bump...

Did any of you have problems with maternity leave with employer? I am worried I am about to get shafted, right royally...

KT1983 Tue 19-Aug-08 13:14:00

I have only just told my employer about my pregnancy, and they have been fine about it - Entitled to all the normal stuff....think about £117.00 per week and 52 weeks off.
I asked my human Resourses department before I told my managers. you will be fine, they leagally have to give you the maternity pay/leave.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 19-Aug-08 14:24:02

you should be able to check your company policy before bringing it up with them - were you given a handbook with your contract? most companies have to be very upfront when employees start nowadays....and KT is right, they can't sack you and have to give you SMP at least

notcitrus Tue 19-Aug-08 16:24:39

I was really lucky with mat leave - I'd just accepted a new post in my organisation when I found out I was pregnant, but it was only until end Sept at the most, and as most people on the team were on temporary promotion and thus wanting to stay as long as possible, they were really glad I'd want to leave a bit earlier! They weren't quite so enthusiastic when my physio banned me from commuting, but I did some work from home and some others took over the rest of my job, and it was OK.

I was advised to photocopy my MATB1 before sending it to HR, and just as well, as they lost my paperwork twice. But I now have my formal letter saying they look forward to seeing me again on 29 Aug 2009!

I was too podgy for most of my clothes around 17 weeks - since then I've mainly been wearing long stretchy jersey skirts and long loose dresses. By about 20 weeks I had to choose my clothes to either look very fat or very pregnant, so went for the latter, usually a stretchy T-shirt and skirt.

The circumference of my bump seems to have been the same for the last 6 weeks, but there's ever more bump hidden under the waterline! I used to be able to rest my bump on the edge of the sink and I can't now!

Boobz Tue 19-Aug-08 16:51:30

Unfortunately I am not a straight forward case for maternity leave.

I work from home in the UK, but my company is Irish and based in Dublin. Do I therefore fall under Irish or UK maternity laws?

Also, my contract does not mention maternity leave benefits anywhere. I called up a friend at work who told me what the Employee hand book said (which was 22 weeks paid leave) but it referred to Ireland, so I'm not sure if I am covered by the same policy in that hand book?

To cap it all off, they want to take me off my employee contract, and put me onto a consultant contract (they announced this yesterday). Obviously as a consultant I am not entitled to any of the normal benefits and I would charge more as a result. But I now have to tread carefully as I need to know whether I am still entitled to SMP and / or the 22 weeks paid leave if I set myself up as a limited company and charge out as a consultant.

Am off to see the Citizen's advice bureau tomorrow to get a better idea, and will probably get some legal advice (which i will have to pay for!) as well.

Joy.

Boobz Tue 19-Aug-08 16:54:39

Right - was it anyone here who was booked in with St George's but then transferred to Thommies because they wanted a homebirth?

That is what I am now having to do, begrudgingly, as Thommies is so much further away! They say it's due to catchment areas and Streatham isn't covered by the HB team at St George's... does this sound right to you?

MissLa Tue 19-Aug-08 21:06:36

Hello!

I'm new to the site, about 12.5 weeks pregnant with my first babs. I'm a local Tooting girl and I see you're all meeting up in Streatham on the 26th? Any chance I can crash your party?!! It would be cool to meet other local ladies in my situation wink and make some new mates!!!

Miss La x

Boobz Tue 19-Aug-08 21:44:59

Of course Miss La -- we are growing into quite the little party... I might need to get there early and bag a whole section of the restaurant!

x

KT1983 Wed 20-Aug-08 08:30:47

Hi MissLa - Where abouts in tooting are you - I live just near tooting bec common ( Furzedown area)

Im looking forward to meeting everyone next tuesday - there will be lots of us! :-)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 20-Aug-08 12:10:34

Miss La we would be happy to have you!! anyone think we ought to reserve that table with the comfy benches round it? am happy to do so....

Boobz it was me who transferred from St G's to tommies to get HB (though have since heard St G's offer it too)...to be honest my initial reason for transferring was my friend had a wonderful and supportive birth at Tommies and two weeks later another friend ha a horrendous birth at St G's - but I know that's the luck of the draw. I also went to Tommies because our local community midwives come from there and it felt important at the time...you'll be asigned to Valley or Streatham midwives at Gracefield Gardens so only have to go to Tommies to get your scans and anti-d injections if you need them throughout antenatal care, so no trekking to either hospital, which is nice!

feel free to ask me anything else if it helps
xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 20-Aug-08 12:14:02

have re-read your post Boobz - and yes that does sound right to me...but honestly the Streatham midwives are fantastic and I've been very reassured by them regarding blue light services to Tommies from Streatham if there ended up being an emergency situatioon during the height of rush hour....

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 20-Aug-08 12:14:30

(btw it's because we're in Lambeth, and so is Tommies, whereas I think St G's falls under Wandsworth)

MissLa Wed 20-Aug-08 12:15:05

Hey KT1983,

I'm a Tooting Broadway girl, just off Franciscan Road, it'll be great to meet other local preggers ladies!
Might also bring my mate who's also 12.5 weeks and lives in Streatham too, I'm sure we can all squeeze in some how!

What time is everyone meeting? I can't get to Streatham till about 6.15, hope thats not too late?!

xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 20-Aug-08 12:41:35

starting to meet from 5:30 so don't worry, we'll be there

Welcome MissLa, looking forward to Tuesday too. Should get there just after 6pm. Sure all the bumps will help to get seats!
Can't help with the queries over hospitals as I'm giving birth at the Chelsea and Westminster.....long story but basically thought we would be out of London now and I chose it for easier antenatal appointments as it's near my work. Still in Streatham (house sale still going through!) so wondering if I should transfer care to St Georges or just go with C&W and hope that the traffic on the day isn't bad! Problem had been that I haven't met any local Streatham midwives yet and haven't been able to do any of the local antenatal classes....bad planning or what!

MissLa Wed 20-Aug-08 14:19:13

Fab, can't wait, I'll be along about 6.15pm, can't wait to meet you all!

Has anyone thought about pregancy yoga at 'Anoushkas Yoga' in Earlsfield? It's £105 for a 10 week course, I'm thinking of signing up from end of September after I'm back from holiday (babs not due till March 09).

x

KT1983 Wed 20-Aug-08 14:27:04

Hi MissLa - I was thinking of doing a yoga class...been looking around to find a decent one. Ten weeks for £105 sounds quite reasonable.

My baby is not due until Feb - So september would be a good time for me to start also...
Is there a website?

Its going to be quite amusing on Tuesday - pregnant ladies convention! :-)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 20-Aug-08 15:07:19

sitaram yoga are quite good but have recently closed their streatham branch so you'd have to go to tommies or brockwell lido - I'm starting with an independant yoga teacher in sept who comes highly recommended

dannigirl Wed 20-Aug-08 16:03:13

Ha ha I just had a real pregnancy moment. I was just thinking to myself how will I know who I am meeting - then realised it will probably be quite obvious!!!!!! Big bellies all the way!
I think we could just about start our own ante natal class.

Boobz Wed 20-Aug-08 16:25:01

Mousey -- any chance I could get the number of your teacher?

MissLa Wed 20-Aug-08 16:56:54

I've now found a class in Balham which is a little bit cheaper than the Earsfield £105 course. The websites http://www.syclondon.com/classtimetable.htm and it's £42 for 6 classes or £9 each which is good if you dont want to pay in advance. I've had a nice email from the lady (or was it a man?!) called Shaktimurti who teaches the Thurs night 6pm class. I've got a mobile number for them and will bring in along on Tues if anyone else fancys it. I'm thinking of starting yoga end of Sept.

x

Boobz Wed 20-Aug-08 17:12:44

End of Sept suits me too, and Balham - fancy a yoga buddy Miss La?

MissLa Wed 20-Aug-08 17:17:36

Absolutely! Have you done Yoga before? I've only done Pilates, and that was a while ago...I'm not really a fitness freak person so to speak so this could be quite amusing, but I have this fantasy of turning into some uber limber Gwyneth Paltrow type who does a few 'downward dogs', breaths deeply and can deliver a baby painfree...not sure it's really going to pan out that way for me though!!

KT1983 Wed 20-Aug-08 19:28:02

MissLa & Boobz - Can I join in on the yoga too - balham dead easy for me..ive not really done yoga before...
Am thinkin its probably not quite as easy as it looks....but will be fun to try!

notcitrus Wed 20-Aug-08 20:00:23

I've possibly got the most obvious bump (plus a walking stick to ensure I look properly decrepit!), so I'll try to get there early and nick the comfiest seat, and look as obvious as possible!

Had my 36-week appt today and was assured that yes, I'm seeing the right community midwives because my GP is in Merton, but even though I'm booked at St George's, Tommies already know I exist and as soon as I turn up at George's to give birth, Tommies postnatal midwives will be notified so that one can magically turn up at the door the day after I get home.

I have a copy of Pilates In Pregnancy I was going to try to sell on Ebay - anyone interested? It has good sections on how to sit, stand, and lie down (which is why I bought it - most preg exercise books started with things I couldn't do before I got pregnant!), and the rest is explained well although my SPD kicked in before I could do much.

Boobz Wed 20-Aug-08 20:00:55

I have never done yoga before, but it has been top of list of soul-nourishing things to do for the past 5 years or so. For some reason going down the pub or having a large glass of wine after work seems to have always gotten in the way.

Heap on top of that the fact I can barely touch my knees, let alone my toes, means I am probably not going to be the bendiest of the group.

I did used to be sporty though -- my hubby was in the Royal Marines so I always felt a bit flabby if I wasn't running or swimming or something. Pregnancy tiredness has knocked those sports on the head though.

KT1983 Thu 21-Aug-08 08:05:56

I know how you feel Boobz - My running went a bit to pot the first few weeks, so tired & sick! But seems to be getting back to normal now. Im still quite sporty - but I get out of breath half way down the road when im running...apparently normal when preggers!

MissLa Thu 21-Aug-08 10:32:33

More the merrier for Yoga KT1983, I think I'm going to call the centre over the weekend and get some more details, I want to find out how many weeks pregnant you should be to start yoga. I've been so tired the last 2 months I couldn't dream of doing any exercise, it's been a struggle some time just to lift the remote control and change channels wink. I also want to start swimming, apparently thats bliss when you get much bigger and can just float about....although Tooting Leisure Centre pool is ok, the changing rooms are minging (lots of hair and sticking plasters on the floor, gross!) so not sure where else I can go...

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 21-Aug-08 10:45:21

I'll bring along Kathleen's number on tuesday too in case you all decide you'd rather be in Streatham - she comes recommended by Tommies and by a few friends who were with her. She's on holiday til Sept but not sure if that means she's physically out of the country, but she starts up again beginning of Sept.

Generally the advice is to start once you're past 14 weeks, unless you do yoga regularly before...same as all exercising

don't worry though, the classes I've been to they really work depending on the women who are in and it's more gentle stretches and relaxation than hardcore contortion!

The balham one sounds like a great deal though - trouble is by september I'll just want to walk up the high street and no further...notcitrus my bump's a month behind you so I'll try to get there as close to 5:30 as poss to make it doubly obvious!

I went swimming in streatham leisure centre for the 1st time since BFP yesterday and my god floating around and getly swimming is utter bliss! getting out however I felt like I'd put on 5 stone immediately...how i long for a water birth now!

KT1983 Thu 21-Aug-08 11:18:13

MissLa - Go to Balham leisure centre - the pool is smaller - 30m I think, but its much nicer than tooting. Alot cleaner & the staff are nicer.
I went their this morning actually & just as I was coming out the mother and baby group were going in....so cute!! :-)

MissLa Thu 21-Aug-08 12:54:13

Great suggestion re Balham pool KT1983, I always forget about that.

Looking forward to Tues ladies!

xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 21-Aug-08 14:19:16

do they do baby swimming in balham then? that'd be brilliant...

Boobz Thu 21-Aug-08 15:06:31

I'm a member of Virgin Active in Streatham and they have a small but perfectly formed pool, with pregnancy and baby sessions I believe. It's really dimly lit as well and reminds me of what it might be like to be in the womb...

Have been reading Active Birth by Jane Whats-her-chops, and there are yoga moves in there which she says to start after your 12th week. Am still 2 weeks away from that!

So who is having a home birth with Thommies? I am having to transfer there from St Georges (who told me on Weds that they don't do home births for my catchment area -- I have to go to Thommies or Kings)... so am now waiting for another referral from the GP. Oh joy!

MissLa Thu 21-Aug-08 16:42:21

I'm not having a home birth mainly because I can hear my neighbours if they sneeze so I think it might be too much information for them to hear me give birth! I'd do it if I had a bigger flat or lived in a house, good luck to all you girls that go for it though! I'm just gonna go to St Georges, it's 10 mins walk from my house, so in a way it's not far off being a home birth...

Crazycatlady Thu 21-Aug-08 16:48:56

Hi everyone, so nice to see lots of new faces on this thread while I've been away. Our meet next Tues is going to be great fun Looking forward to meeting you all.

Boobz I'm having a home birth with Tommies - I'm under the Valley team, hope you get transfered to them, they're great - although I've heard great things about Streatham midwives too so either way I think you're on to a winner.

Is the Active Birth book any good? It's next on my reading list!

KT1983 Thu 21-Aug-08 17:43:47

Yeah - Balham do baby swimming-ive not got a copy of the timetable - but they were all going in their this morning at around 10.30ish. Not too crowded either. The babies all looked to be enjoying themselves!

Boobz Fri 22-Aug-08 09:10:29

Is is a good book actually -- less new age hippy than the Michael Odent book, so I'm enjoying it more. I went to my first ante natal class last night - a drop in class in Peckham Rye run by Albany Midwives (who specialise in natural, active home water births - just what I am aiming for) so that was good. Poor hubby doesn't really know how he fits in yet - but he had fun watching the woman's tummy in front of us look like something out of Alien, it was moving that much!

Tuesday will be lots of fun. I am off this evening for a wedding in Devon so I may not post again before seeing you all on Tuesday!

xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 22-Aug-08 10:38:56

I'm having a homebirth with Tommies and I'm with Streatham - midwives I've met so far are all lovely, though I have to go to Gracefield Gardens whereas I hear Valley come to your house!

I'm on Ina May's Guide to Childbirth at the mo - very recommended

have a good weekend boobz, see you tuesday!

Just ordered Ina May and Active Birth books....thanks for the recommendations!
Anyone thinking of taking a First Aid course for babies and young children whilst they are pregnant? Looking into some local courses and will keep you posted.
Have a great Bank Holiday weekend everyone!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 22-Aug-08 13:15:00

I'm taking the St John's Ambulance Early Years First Aid course in a few weeks...we're not doing NCT so saving a bit of money and beyond knowing you put a burnt finger under cold water I have no idea when it comes to first aid! It's supposed to be for childcare professionals but the one for personal use only start at about 8years old...costs £100 (+VAT) and is two full days...will be a bit embarassed waddling in there 8 months pregnant mind!

notcitrus Mon 25-Aug-08 19:28:56

Anyone a size 16 and needing maternity trousers for work? Have two pairs, hardly worn, one black (mothercare), one grey (M&S). Was about to stick them on Ebay but they'd only make about £5 together, so if anyone's interested I can bring them along.

I've also got a number of books people can flick through - I've just read Ina May and found the second half very useful.

SparkyUK Tue 26-Aug-08 09:46:59

Hi ladies - I've been stumbling across this thread for the last few months and just now see that there is a meet up tonight. I've got my nct class this evening but I'm going to try to stop by for a few minutes at least before heading over. I should be there at about quarter to 6, so hope to see some of you there (otherwise any preggers in the area will be in for a surprise!)

Will be great to put some faces to the handles and apologies in advance if I start grilling you about your midwives and birth plans. I'm just now at 32 weeks trying to switch to home birth so need any advice I can get.

Off to a midwives appointment now, but looking forward to this evening and hope no one minds me crashing!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 26-Aug-08 11:08:53

course we don't sparky...hope midwives appt goes well. I'm 32 weeks today too so def the more the merrier...

have totally lost count of how many of us are going tonight, but see you all there!

Boobz Tue 26-Aug-08 11:17:10

Sparky that's great! Looking forward to meeting you.

So, what time is everyone getting there tonight? Did the early birds say they were heading there for 5:30?

A

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 26-Aug-08 12:46:28

I'm hoping for between 5:30 and 5:45...

Boobz Tue 26-Aug-08 12:52:34

Cool cool - have to take dog our for early walk and will aim for 5:30 as well.

A

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 26-Aug-08 15:28:13

think notcitrus is aiming for 5:30 too

Crazycatlady Tue 26-Aug-08 15:38:17

I'll be there fore 5.30! Just had our second scan this afternoon (20 wk, but I'm almost 23 wks), it was great, so I can bore you all with pics See you there

dannigirl Tue 26-Aug-08 15:48:55

Hope to be there 5.30-5.45pm after GP appt. See you all there.

MissLa Tue 26-Aug-08 16:27:52

Hey,

I'll be there about 6.15, can't leave work any earlier, see you all then!

Lx

notcitrus Tue 26-Aug-08 16:41:06

I'll be off in a mo. I'm wearing a long black dress, have huge bump and walking stick, brown hair, hearing aids. See you soon!

See you all there!....should be just after 6 as I'm hoping to get the earlier train from work.

notcitrus Tue 26-Aug-08 23:13:10

Lovely to meet you folks earlier.
I've sent round the list of people's names, nicknames, and emails.

sofarsobreech - Yahoo claims that your email
(firstname_surname2004 at yahoo.com) doesn't exist.
sparkyuk - Yahoo says you don't exist at yahoo.com either.

I've tried yahoo.co.uk to see if that works.

KT1983 Wed 27-Aug-08 08:37:56

Hi Ladies - Im sorry I didnt get to Perfect Blend yesterday - I was off work, as felt pretty terrible all day. Gutted I missed meeting everyone... :-(
Hope your all well & had a good giggle - Hopefully another time if you have anything else planned?
Katie
X

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 27-Aug-08 09:34:25

seconding lovely to meet all - Katie I think everyone's up for another meet so def come along next time...

any suggestions send them through!

KT1983 Wed 27-Aug-08 09:46:25

Im good for whenever / wherever really - was just sods law yesterday that I felt crappy.

ah well...ive still got 24 weeks to go!!

Boobz Wed 27-Aug-08 09:56:16

Hello all,

Was indeed super lovely to meet you all yesterday -- I think 10 is a pretty good turn out! Shame you felt rubbish KT, I almost bailed too as was super tired but made it there in the end.

It struck me how similar we all are -- same age, young professionals, and fabulously all good looking (said in a Zoolander voice). Guess there really is a profile to the average Mumsnetter....

I can't wait to meet up again -- I thought we could make it a fortnightly thing - either at PB each time as that seems pretty easy for everyone, or somewhere else if people have suggestions?

GWTM -- will phone Kathleen Yoga today and get sorted. Did you say you were going next Tuesday?

Ali xxx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 27-Aug-08 10:58:39

I'm up fortnightly...then if you can't come one week the following meet up still works...and I'm now in love with PB hot chocolates (though might save up my fortnightly alcohol allowance for next time!)

Ali - I'm going this coming Tuesday to Kathleen's and will prob stick to every tues evening after that if you wanna join?

Boobz Wed 27-Aug-08 11:07:59

Sounds like a plan G -- will let you know when I have booked in.

Off to meetings all afternoon now - no afternoon nap for me today - sob!

SparkyUK Wed 27-Aug-08 12:14:41

Was lovely to see the early birds and sorry I had to take off so early. I would love to meet again and would just like to throw out the idea of meeting Monday or Wednesday. Purely for selfish reasons of course as I won't be able to make it for more than 30 minutes until October (or perhaps meeting on alternate weeks? It may be a bit overboard but as all I think about is bump and baby at the moment...)

notcitrus - So sorry my email wasn't coming through. It should just be .com not co.uk. its probably just my bad handwriting, but also could check that the first part of the email is dailey with an E?

SparkyUK Wed 27-Aug-08 12:31:07

Just wondering about classes in the area. Has anyone heard anything or had any experiences with any active birth classes? We are doing some at the NCT class (which I'd be happy to show you guys - PB wouldn't mind if we cleared some floor space would they ;)) but I'm looking to get my husband as well prepped as possible. Did someone mention something about a massage class???

Also, just wondering if anyone had information they could share about the Valley team antenatal classes? Are they drop in sessions?

Lastly, I'm getting worried that my home birth via kings might not work out as they haven't gotten back to me yet. I've heard that I can contact midwife teams directly to see if they have place for me and have been wondering if I should try the Valley team (or the Gracefield Gardens community wives?). Anyone have any advice on that or contact details?

Sorry, this is all stuff that I wanted to ask last night but time flies too quickly when you're sucking abck thet lime and sodas....

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 27-Aug-08 14:16:12

Hey Sparky

Leigham Court practise (same side of the road as PB walking towards streatham) does pregnancy massage - take your DH along and she'll show him the techniques for labour

It might be worth contacting Valley or Streatham, though as far as I know they're both attached to St Thomas's. They're both based at Gracefield Gardens just off the high road...will add you to the email list and then I can send you Streatham's contact details tomorrow and maybe crazycatlady can send you valley's

The antenatal classes are drop in sessions every friday 2-4pm, I think anyone can attend them (I'm with Streatham and have been told I can go despite them being run by Valley)...I was going to pop by there today anyway and get a list of what's happening each week today so will email that round too if I get it
xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 27-Aug-08 14:18:09

sparky - the email address on the list is as you say...do you want to drop me an email to my spam account then I'll add you if it's different (all very covert but better than us all posting our personal details online!)

spudletloy at googlemail dot com

SparkyUK Wed 27-Aug-08 14:38:44

Thanks GirlW/TMH - I'll email you now.

Crazycatlady Wed 27-Aug-08 16:36:28

Sparky I've just emailed you a number to try at St T's to see if they can refer you to Valley team. Hope they're helpful!

I'm going to get the dates schedule for the Friday pm Valley antenatal classes at my next midwife appointment which isn't until 13 Oct now so too late for some of you but I'll share it anyway for those of us who have a little longer to go.

I too have developed an unhealthy obsession with PB Hot Choc and am looking forward to the next meet already so I can down more of the good stuff and talk endlessly about babies

We could always try 19 or Waterfront if we get bored of PB, but PB does have an inordinately huge selection of goooooood soft drinks...

My copy of 'Homebirth' by Nicky Wesson has just arrived today so I'll let you all know if it's any good!

Getting loads of kicks today, mostly directed at my bladder, nice... shock

KT1983 Wed 27-Aug-08 17:35:43

Would be great to meet up regulary - as im certain the people I work with ( 4 lads! )are getting very sick of my baby talk aleady & ive along way to go....

Hi all.....as mentioned, too tricky to get online at work with my maternity cover breathing down my neck but so lovely to meet you all last night. Thought it was a huge success and would love to make it a regular occurrence.....
Just been to see the Chelsea and Westminster and not really that impressed. Hoping to get chance to have a look at Tommies.....apparently you can shop around and it's your choice where you go. Anyone else heard this or have any idea how easy it would be for me to transfer hospitals if we decide to? Will try phoning someone about it tomorrow...
Notcitrus - email address is .co.uk sorry if I put it down wrong!

dannigirl Thu 28-Aug-08 09:58:40

Hi sofarsobreech,

Hope you see this message today - I'm no expert on the system here but would advise you to call your midwife asap about changing/booking into St Thomas' or at least discussing it. When I went for my tour around St Thomas' a few weeks ago they stated that they were not taking any out of area referrals. Not sure where your antenatal care is, if you are with Streatham or Valley midwives you should be able to switch over?? (again I am no expert on the system).
Tours of St Thomas' are run each Tues and Thurs at 6.30pm at Hosptial Birth Centre, 7th Floor North Wing. Anyone can turn up although they say take your yellow notes - I think yours are white, just blag and say you are hoping to transfer over. It really is worth having a look at the home from home birth centre, I was very pleasantly surprised and the hospital birth centre is supposed to similar i.e room size etc just more difficult for husbands and partners to stay I think??
Hope that helps, Dannigirl

Thanks so much Dannigirl, that's really helpful. Will go and have a look and see what I can find out. I'm not with any midwives in Streatham yet as I've had shared care from local GP (Valley Road surgery) and midwives at Chelsea and Westminster. Think I can ask my GP for a referral but again need to look into it more. Someone also told me this morning that you can turn up anywhere and they wouldn't turn you away if you're in labour!!!!!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 28-Aug-08 11:32:52

you can def change whenever you want but the sooner the better - at least go to your GP and ask them to transfer you asap because it may take a week or so for letters to get through the system. My GP just sent a transferral letter direct to Tommies, they then passed details onto Streatham/Valley midwives - you're in the catchment area so it shouldn't be a problem. The midwives got in touch wiht me immediately, it took a while longer to hear anything from tommies but that's cos i was waiting for a scan date

hth (will add you to email list!)
xx

Boobz Thu 28-Aug-08 15:19:33

GWTMH -- am trying to get hold of someone at Tommies to see whether my GP has been in touch with my referral yet. I asked him to do it last Wednesday so has been over a week and haven't had anything through from Tommies yet -- have you got a number I could call as I seem to get lost from the switch board!

OH, Kathleen Yoga called me as well, and I'm coming along next Tuesday! Hurrah!

SparkyUK Thu 28-Aug-08 15:48:58

Hi Boobz - I have the number and name of the woman who does the bookings at Tommies - I'll email it to you now.

Boobz Thu 28-Aug-08 15:54:05

Thanks Sparky! I did manage to get through on that number to someone who said they hadn't had a referral through for me yet (grumble grumble). Have tried to call my GP but he's not taking bookings or phone appointments until WEDNESDAY and I'm 12 weeks on Thursday - moan moan. Have been to Tommies website and printed off their referral form and am marching to GP surgery tomorrow to get any of them to fill it in a fax it while I'm looking over their shoulder.

Faf faf. I hate faffers. I'm pregnant and hormonal and I want my booking in appointment NOW!

Rant. Sorry. Rant Rant.

Rant.

SparkyUK Thu 28-Aug-08 17:04:53

Argh - so frustrating. You shouldn't have to have an appointment with your GP to get him to follow up on something he said he'd do over a week ago. That's redonculous. Definitely go in full blaze and watch them do it!

Boobz Fri 29-Aug-08 11:17:13

Faxed the right document from the GP to Tommies and phoned them to check they received it which they have, so all sorted! Should get appointments through in a week.

Keeping nuchal scan at St George's as am already booked in, which is less than a week away - yip!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 29-Aug-08 12:18:46

def keep scan at St G's for now...call your GP and get reception to see if the referal got sent off, they don't need GP's permission to do that seeing as they're normally the ones who should do it. Ask them to fax it again...this happened with my GP too

Morning, went to see Tommies last night after Dannigirls tip and was really impressed. Have an appointment with my GP this afternoon to also sort out the referral....fingers crossed it won't be a problem at this late stage...Have also prepared myself with the form from the website!!

Boobz Fri 29-Aug-08 15:08:13

Make sure you watch them fax it to them as well Sofa... and then call to check they got it.

So exciting - a real Tommies clan. I requested to go on the Valley team but will have to wait and see.

Tits are well sore today!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 29-Aug-08 16:12:09

don't worry if you don't get valley - I've found the streatham team are lovely

SparkyUK Fri 29-Aug-08 16:45:34

I've just gotten word from Kings that I'm with the new Tulse Hill group of midwives. Has anyone heard anything about them? I'm so happy that my home birth is on track now!

Also, I spoke with someone at Gracefield about their Friday afternoon antenatal classes and apparently this week was the last session so they should be starting a new series in the coming weeks. If I get more info, I'll post it here but if anyone else has it, please let me know.

dannigirl Fri 29-Aug-08 19:07:51

Hi Sparky,
I have been doing the antenatal at Gracefield over last few weeks. We have one more week to go then a new cycle starts.
Classes roughly cover:
1: 3 stages of labour
2: Things that help with labour
3: Yoga with Kathleen
4: What happens if...
5: Breastfeeding
6: Life after birth and with a new baby
The classes aren't everyone's cup of tea but hubby and I have found them really helpful just in terms of getting little tips here and there (things you don't get from books etc). Our class is pretty full (only downfall - October babies grin) but I have been pleasantly surprised. Other good thing is you can drop in to any session you like on the cycle and if you miss one you can catch up on the next cycle, and they are free. From what I have heard I am not convinced that say NCT ones would be any better (or worse).
They are pretty straightforward and not to airy fairy which I really like, but if you want maybe smaller, intimate class sizes with more one on one discussion might not suit you.
Dannigirl

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 29-Aug-08 22:11:41

I went in today too - was told to give them a call on Monday to check if they're having a week's break before starting the next cycle...am now seriously worried I won't make i to a breast feeding workshop before my baby arrives - does anyne know about any other local breast feeding workshops?

Boobz Sat 30-Aug-08 09:21:47

Sorry if I am being a bit slow... are the classes that you have posted Dannigirl free for anyone? Can I drop in? I haven't quite got my booking in appointment with Tommies but it's imminent. If you think I can go to them, when / where are they? As I'm only 12 weeks, do you think it's worth waiting for another cycle to go by before I head along?

Sorry for so many questions!

dannigirl Sun 31-Aug-08 18:10:18

Hi Boobz,

Not sure if the classes are for anyone or only people who are registered with GP services at Gracefield Gardens or have their midwife team based there, so either Valley or Streatham midwives.
I would wait until you have your booking in appointment, from there you are allocated to your midwife. I also wouldn't bother going until you are further along, but it's up to you really. It all seemed to make more sense to me being further along. That way you meet people or other mum's that will be going to the same baby clinic as you'll probably be giving birth around the same time.
HTH, Dannigirl.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sun 31-Aug-08 20:05:09

i agree with danni - I haven't gone to any yet so might have left it a bit late for the later ones but didn't really see much point before say 28 weeks

Crazycatlady Sun 31-Aug-08 20:29:07

I've just realised I've gone and booked a hair appointment for the evening we're next supposed to be meeting blush ooooops... placenta-brain strikes again! My roots are desperate, so I think I need to go, but I'll see if I can move it first.

Just had an exhausting day trudging round trying to find bras. I've outgrown the first lot I bought in M&S at 12 weeks and now can't seem to find anything angry. Has anyone cracked the maternity bra conundrum? I'm struggling to find anything nice, supportive, with big enough cups and small enough back, and for a reasonable price. I can't afford Rigby & Peller!

Boobz Mon 01-Sep-08 08:05:46

I need new bras as well but will have to wait until next month now as we are going on our hols this month and there is no cash left! Am already completely over-flowing from my normal bras.

So anyone who has any good advice to Crazy's question above would be great!

x

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 01-Sep-08 09:51:20

I've told DH he has to treat me to some Hot Milk nursing bras.....otherwise I've been alternating M&S and my usual La Senza style (I know, I know, underwires are supposed to be bad but I hate how my boobs look in non-wired!)

Crazycatlady Mon 01-Sep-08 14:45:01

I'm thinking of returning to the good old underwire too... the non-wired ones I got in M&S last time were quite a nice shape as they were moulded and padded to the n'th degree! But sadly they don't go above a D cup, and I'm now at least an E, waaaahh!

There are quite a lot of nice nursing bras (LOVE Hot Milk), but not many for when you're actually preggers. Very odd. It's as if the world actually WANTS my boobs to end up round my ankles, gggrrr...

Boobz Mon 01-Sep-08 18:58:44

I need to get measured - have no idea how big I am these days... DH keeps going "cor, how big are they going to get if they're that size and you're only 12 weeks!?" with a big grin on his face. Wally.

Hi all....back online... Had a great result with getting transferred last week. Saw the GP and she must have been efficient as I've had a call from Tommies and going tomorrow to be booked again....get those yellow notes, yeah! Must help that I'm 36 weeks this week!!
Had to go with underwires early on unfortunately sad. Found some Triumph Soft sensation ones in House of Fraser that are really comfy if a little dull. Elle McPherson do nice lacy feeding bras as an alternative to the super pricey Rigby and Peller! Haven't seen any Hot Milk yet...will point DH in the right direction!
Talking of which.....anyone got any thoughts on perineal massage.....too graphic blush?!!!!!

notcitrus Mon 01-Sep-08 22:15:16

Hello again - got back yesterday from my convention in Leicester which was great even with 200+ people going "Wouldn't it be cool if you had the baby here?!" (er, no). Hired a good wheelchair which made everything a lot easier.

38 week appt today - Squirmy has turned over and is now ready for launch... I feel like I've only just gotten used to being pregnant! I can't believe I'm about to have a baby...

I have no advice on bras as I suddenly went from 36 to 40DD at 18 weeks (grew out of the 38DD one after wearing it twice, so couldn't return it to M&S), and I'm still wearing the same ones (very soft unwired M&S maternity ones - one black one white for £20).

sofarsobreech - perineal massage is supposed to be very good for helping avoiding tearing, especially for a first birth - helps if your partner can do it as it gets hard to reach! If you're on your back, you want them pressing gently at 4 and 8'oclock, pushing the first inch of your vagina out and down. Must try some more of it...

Someone did ask me the other day if being into receiving pain as part of kinky sex might make their birth easier. My guess was unless you're into shagging giant objects, probably not... but on the other hand being used to dealing with pain and not panicking ought to help. (nothing is TMI on the internet...)

I've just got a book on Hypnobirthing but haven't read it yet.

Boobz Tue 02-Sep-08 08:26:39

I'm pretty sure kinky sex pain is a far cry from labour pain! There is also the added bonus of asking your partner to stop when it gets a bit stingy during role play.... don't think your baby will be quite so accommodating (although then there are the drugs...)

Am very jealous Sofa -- I faxed through my form on Friday, and told the doctor 9 days before that, that I wanted a transfer and still nothing! Grumble grumble.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 02-Sep-08 12:26:51

argh!!!! good luck notcitrus!! was wondering if you'd been offline because you've had your baby!

really good news sofarsobreech about the transfer, are you on your last week of work now?

boobz i will see you tonight at Kathleen's!

Boobz Tue 02-Sep-08 13:40:33

Indeed see you tonight!

Hi, tranferred this morning and they still weren't sure of the baby's posiiton so gave me a scan and thankfully the little 'un is head down! Yeah! Might need to change my nickname!!
My new worry is that I was given an estimated weight of 7lb 2oz but was obviously in pregnacy brain mode and it didn't occur to me to ask whether that was the weight now or estimated at birth!!! Dumbass! See on the internet that babies can gain a pound a week in the last few weeks so terrified I'm having a wopping 11 pounder! Will try and phone to check but anyone got any clue whether they give estimated birth or current weights at this stage? It doesn't explain in the notes.
Boobz - sure you will hear soon. Midwife told me they have had a mega busy month with 500 more transfers than usual!!
Next week is my last week at work. See you all next Wednesday!

Fran78 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:19:52

Hi,

I'm in Streatham too and am due Nov 19th (first baby). Was just wondering if anyone knew of any Aqua natal classes in the area?

We're doing private antenatal classes where the lady comes round to us as those at St. Thomas' were at really bad times which meant me an my husband (who works in the same office) would both have to take time off. The NCT course started the week that we're away at a wedding and the lady running the course was a bit snotty about it!! It all meant that we ended going with the one-to-one option, so was feeling like I'd be missing out a bit on the social side of things. I thought Aqua natal classes might be a way to meet other mums to be.

If anyone knows of any, would love to hear.

Thanks,

Fran!

Crazycatlady Tue 02-Sep-08 21:26:38

ooh I've been offline today and missed loads shock

notcitrus been thinking about you wondering if the little un had arrived yet! And I've just been sat here chuckling away to myself about the idea of shagging giant objects! What an odd thing to be asked!!

Sofa - great news about the transfer and the change of position, must be a huge relief.

Hi Fran78 - not sure about aquanatal but have you checked out Balham Leisure Centre or Virgin Active? I'm sure there must be some nearby.

Thanks for the ideas about the bra situation ladies, might brave M&S again (and try not to lose my temper this time) and check out some of the Elle McP stuff - I had some lovely normal bras from her range which fitted a treat, so it's worth a try!

How was yoga?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 03-Sep-08 10:33:34

fran78 you're more than welcome to come and meet us on Wednesday for our second meeting if you're wanting to make mum-friends?

Fran78 Wed 03-Sep-08 12:33:55

Crazycatlady - thanks for the suggestions. I had a very bad experience at M&S re: bras. I went to Debenhams (Clapham Jct) and had a really great lady. Got it right first time.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair what time do you meet?

Thanks!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 03-Sep-08 14:33:24

we're meeting at perfect blend next wednesday at 5:30

KT1983 Thu 04-Sep-08 08:27:23

Hi everyone,
As I didnt make it to your last meet up - Can I join in on this one?
Think i need to try the legendary hot chocolates! smile

Crazycatlady Thu 04-Sep-08 10:43:25

Hi KT! The hot chocolates are very good...

I won't be at the next one as I've managed to schedule a hair appointment for the same time, oops... but I know you'll be made to feel welcome smile and I hope to see you at the one after.

Fran good idea about Debenhams, I hadn't even thought of that, and it saves a trek into town too, thanks!

I've got SO much work to get through today. It's a nightmare month and I don't want to do any of it, I just want to think about babies all day... blush Counting down the days until I go on maternity leave... roll on 30 Nov...

KT1983 Thu 04-Sep-08 10:46:44

Oh good, il look forward to it smile

KT1983 Fri 05-Sep-08 10:53:54

Hi everyone - Ive been on the search for a Pregnancy Pilates class around Balham or streatham areas....Has anyone been to a Pegnancy pilates class??
Or anyone know where I could find one?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sun 07-Sep-08 16:32:20

I met a woman at my yoga birth rehearsal yesterday who I've invited along on Wednesday too - she's due in 3 weeks, hope that's cool with everyone

have stupidly booked in a massage with michelle at 6:30 so will have to change it

Crazycatlady Tue 09-Sep-08 09:55:36

Morning!

I'm coming to yoga for the first time tonight, anyone else going?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 09-Sep-08 11:59:51

yay! I'm going and so is boobz...see you there!

Crazycatlady Tue 09-Sep-08 17:01:56

Cool, see you shortly!

Pianobum Tue 09-Sep-08 17:29:36

Hi Ladies!

I have just stumbled across this site as I was looking to meet up with other Mum's to be in my area (Streatham Hill), without having to fork out for the expensive NCT classes.

I'm due on the 6th Feb (18 weeks gone)and am hoping to have a water birth at St Thomas's in one of their pools. This is my first pregnancy and not sure when I should be signing up for antenatal classes or yoga etc...??

Anyway do you have room for an extra member?

Crazycatlady Tue 09-Sep-08 17:34:51

Oh yes of course Pianobum, welcome!

A few of us have made the same decision about NCT, the only reason I wanted to do it was to meet other local mums and Mumsnet has proved a great source instead so we're not bothering with NCT now.

If you're with St Thomas's, are you under the care of the Streatham or Valley midwives? There are antenatal classes at the Gracefield Gardens medical centre run by the Valley team which you'll probably get details about when you're a bit further along.

A few of us are going to yoga, happy to email you the details if you like?

p.s. I just had a meeting with a client in PB this afternoon and there were LOADS of mums with buggies in there, that'll be us soon I thought smile...

Pianobum Tue 09-Sep-08 18:13:28

Great thanks Crazycatlady!

I have my 20 week appointment with the midwife in a couple of weeks time at Gracefield Gardens so I shall ask about the antenatal classes they have on offer.

Yeah that would be great if you could e-mail over the yoga details.

Wow PB sounds like a great place to meet up then, when are you ladies next meeting up there?

Talking of buggies, anyone got any feedback on the Pliko Pramette, Skate or Quinny? There's so much choice out there, and I want something practical to go about town in

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 09-Sep-08 21:48:47

pianobum, we're meeting tomorrow (wednesday) at 5:30, think we've got a few newbies coming which'll be nice, we'll take the place over...anyone likely to get there early? I'll try to get the big table at he back

anyone know if valley team are starting antenatal again this week or taking the week off? (Dannigirl?)

Crazycatlady Wed 10-Sep-08 10:52:39

Don't know about the Pliko or Skate but a couple of friends of mine have had the Quinny (Buzz). They liked it for its interchangability with a car seat but found it difficult and bulky to manoeuvre around town as it's very wide and has enormous back wheels.

Have a lovely time tonight everyone, and see you at the next one (or at Yoga next week, which I really enjoyed!)

Boobz Wed 10-Sep-08 11:34:26

Hey everyone,

Was good to see you last night Crazycat -- sorry I shot off at the end. And it's a shame you can't come tonight but defo see you next Tuesday at yoga again (what did you think? I lost her a bit when she said fill the house with opening flower buds to bring on labour, but there you go...)

Looking forward to meeting all the new girls tonight -- I'd do a bit of a role call but I'm not sure who is and isn't coming this time. I think I am still the least pregnant among you all - groan.

Boobz Wed 10-Sep-08 13:01:47

Crazy, Mousey -- have just watched that water birth video by Janet Whats-her-chops which I borrowed from Kathleen last night. Was made in 1992 and boy could you tell! I was going to show it to my DH but not sure now... the hairy armpits and classical guitar in the background music might all be a bit too hippy for him.

I like the look of the second birth though - I was fast forwarding through the longer labour bits and out it popped when I wasn't even looking! She looked like she had just taken a rather satisfying number 2 rather than a baby. Hope mine goes like that!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 10-Sep-08 13:24:57

might be worth borrowing then...I've seen another NCT dvd that a friend sent me a while ago which had a seren lovely homebirth

hmmm, must tell DH about getting tons of flowers in the house to encourage onset of labour (any excuse!)

sorry for running off too last night crazycatlady - see you next Tues though, could always grab a cuppa beforehand?

cheekyjackrussell Wed 10-Sep-08 16:34:28

Hi, i'm new to this - am expecting my first on 11th Nov, we are also with St Thomas's - i haven't done the tour yet but thinking maybe i should. We are about to do session 3 of our NCT class and i must say it is better than i was expecting. I joined them even though they are expensive to meet other new mums, i think it can be quite isolating with your first?
I have also been thinking about doing some yoga, i have heard Kathleen is a bit of a legend - i'm wondering if it's too late now though to start as i'm 31 weeks, going into 32?

Boobz Wed 10-Sep-08 21:20:11

Hi Cheeky,

Definitely come to the yoga - I think having 2 months worth of classes is absolutely worth it.

And you must come to our fortnightly meet ups in Perfect Blend on the High Road. We met tonight and there was about 6 of us, but last time there was 10, so hopefully we can keep it going with a decent group. Everyone's lovely! Next one is 2 weeks today (Weds 24th) and it would be great to add another Streatham girl to the clan!

Crazycatlady Wed 10-Sep-08 22:04:49

A ha HA! What is it with all the body hair in these DVDs and books? Just about all the pictures in the books I have are of women with extremely thatched lady gardens.

Whatever happened to Homebirth Diaries? It used to be on Living TV all the time when I had no interest in birth (more of a morbid fascination) but now I actually want to watch these things they're nowhere to be seen!

I have shiny new hair now, hurrah! See you at yoga and if I can finish work early enough lets definitely grab a cuppa beforehand smile.

Crazycatlady Wed 10-Sep-08 22:08:59

p.s. Hi Cheeky! Do come along on 24th, it would be lovely to meet another Streatham mum to be x

Boobz Thu 11-Sep-08 10:58:52

Hey Mousey -- do you know what other times and days Kathleen does? I can't go next Tuesday night as have to work. And in fact, won't probably see any of you for a couple of weeks after that as am going on my hols so will miss the 2 yoga seshes after that, and the meeting on the 24th! Am back from hols on Monday 6th Oct.

x

Crazycatlady Thu 11-Sep-08 13:01:14

I've got the leaflet she gave me right here - there's another Tuesday class in the morning at 9.45 or a Wednesday evening at 7.

I'm very jealous of you going on holiday!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 11-Sep-08 14:45:08

I want to go on holiday too! Boobz give her a call to let her know you want to come to one of the other classes, the stuff she handed out last time seemed quite picky about stuff like that...also you can let her know in advance you won't be able to make the next couple of sessions you've paid for and she should note that your payments will go on for october...oh my god we might actually have some babies by the time you come back!

Crazycatlady, Boobz and I were discussing the very thing about lady gardens last night...so on the subject, where the hell in streatham can you get a decent wax? have tried beauty spot (shudder, the horror!) and remedie rooms (a bit rough and I came out in a horrid burn last time)

Crazycatlady Thu 11-Sep-08 16:24:16

Oh that's interesting about Remedie Rooms, I thought I might try there, maybe not! I have to confess I'm not loyal to Streatham when it comes to waxing... best I've ever found is Gemma at the Anita Cox salon on Battersea Rise. Independent Mind Body & Soul (the Aveda salon) on Balham High Road wasn't bad either.

Or Anthony Laban on Lavender Hill, I go there to get my hair (on my head) done too and have had a couple of waxes and other treatments from time to time, think they're pretty good but a pain to get to unless you're in the car.

I've never tried the beauty treatments at Virgin Active in Streatham, although I'm a member there. Boobz you're a member there too aren't you? Have you tried?

Boobz Thu 11-Sep-08 17:03:17

I had a massage there once, as a treat, but nothing else. Was a good massage though!

Just had booking in appointment with MW Juliet on the Valley team at Gracefield Gardens... lovely lady -- has filled me with confidence for my homebirth. Huzzah!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 11-Sep-08 22:23:47

yay that's great news boobz!

hmmmm...i need a haircut, recommendations for someone on the cheap?!

Kewcumber Thu 11-Sep-08 23:08:49

Do any of you already have babies and would be able to befriend my friend in Streatham and show her the places to go? SHe's adopted her little boy so has missed out on all the NCT ante-natal type stuff. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1375/605304?msgid=12336941#12336941

Boobz Fri 12-Sep-08 10:00:02

Hi Kewcumber -- We are a group of about 10 mums-to-be in Streatham, and as far as I know, we're all expecting our first - so no babies actually here yet! However, it's only a matter of time (one girl is due next week I think, and others are only a few weeks behind, due in October and November). I'm miles away -- not due until March '09!

In any case, we'd love to meet your friend and cheer her up a bit. We meet on here and chat regularly (as you can probably see) and we've met twice in real life at a place called Perfect Blend on the High Road. We plan to meet there every fortnight and this will continue once all our babies are born, I hope. So she could come along to the next one we're planning on Sept 24th, or she can wait a bit until a few of the babies have arrived? We are still very new at the moment, so it's not like we all know each other really well and she would feel left out, I don't think. We're all very friendly (most about 25 - 35 years old I think) and if you'd like me to email her directly, do let me know. If not - we can add her to our emailing list which we have going, if she doesn't want to join Mumsnet and this thread in particular.

Hope that helps.

xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 12-Sep-08 12:54:03

Kewcumcber I'll come leave a message there as well but seconding what boobz just said - also I have a friend in streatham with 18month old twins who is away til christmas but can give some tips of good places to hang out with babies and children

Pianobum Sat 13-Sep-08 13:05:53

Hello all!

Unfortunatly I won't be able to meet in PB until I start my maternity leave in January as I never get back into Streatham from work until after 7:00pm Do any of you ever meet up on Saturdays?

SparkyUK Mon 15-Sep-08 14:29:49

Hi Pianobum, I didn't get to Perfect Blend until 7 last week and the girls were still going strong for another 45 minutes or so. Definitely do try to come next Wednesday, even if just for the tail end to say hello.

SparkyUK Mon 15-Sep-08 16:19:23

I just found Kathleen's website. It looks recent and the class times seem to match up with what people are saying. I didn't find it the first few times I googled her so I thought it was worth posting here. (If anything, it will boost her SEO.)

http://www.yogabirthlondonsw.com/

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 15-Sep-08 17:47:31

Pianobum do come and find us when you get in from work - the last few times we've wound up around 8pm though am sure we can go longer the way we natter!

crazycatlady and boobz (and anyone else) fancy a cuppa before Kathleen's tomorrow? welcome round mine, think I live closest to her, if you like....I baked a cake today if you need convincing (seeing as all decent coffee shops are all the way up the high road!)

email me if you're up for it - I'll be home from work by 6

Pianobum Mon 15-Sep-08 20:03:31

Ahh ok, right I shall be there then! See you ladies next week!

Boobz Mon 15-Sep-08 20:46:11

Hey everyone,

I am working until past 9 every night all this week (so no yoga tomorrow) and then I am going on hols from Sat for 2 weeks so won't be at PB on the next meet up either!

Will be back at yoga on Tues 7th Oct and assuming we are keeping to the schedule, the 4th PB meet up on Weds 8th.

Which is rubbish as would LOVE to come to yours for tea and cake tomorrow Mousey Do invite me again. When are you due exactly? I know NotCitrus will have popped by the time I get back, but will others, too?!

Also, what happened to Fran and KT, Miss LA and others last Weds?! Come on girls - let's keep this going...

xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 15-Sep-08 22:37:45

have a lovely holiday boobz - I'll still be pregnant when you return most likely (EDD 21st oct but am anticipating early november baby!)

RECOMMENDATION ALERT! Everyone must get a massage from MIchelle at Leigham Court Practise on the High Road - utterly amazing, I feel like I don't even have a back anymore...and DH came along and was taught loads of techniques to do to release endorphins during labour, he has to practise lots in the meantime which I ain't complaining about! Am very pleased so far I have spent zilch on NCT and £36 on an incredible massage

DH has said he wants to treat me to at least a few more hour long massages before I pop - yay!!

dannigirl Tue 16-Sep-08 08:58:18

Hey all,

Boobz, have a great holiday - I am so jealous that you will see some sun.

I have really popped out the last few days - will definitely make the next meet up, and hopefully the 8th also but due on the 10th so we'll see. I am hoping I can just roll down the street. A friend just gave birth 3 weeks early, the day after she finished work!!!!

Got a massage pamphlet in the post on Sat so will definitely look at it and book massage with Michelle...sounds very relaxing.

Crazycatlady Tue 16-Sep-08 13:42:59

Oooh Mousey you have cake? I'm up for tea and cake before yoga if you're still free. I've emailed you..

Boobz BOO to the work, sorry we won't see you at yoga tonight, but have a wonderful relaxing holiday!

[wanders off towards the phone to immediately book a massage with Michelle!]

Boobz Thu 18-Sep-08 09:24:19

Well done Notcitrus! When do we meet little Adam?!

notcitrus Fri 19-Sep-08 18:06:33

am getting pushchair soon and hope to get out more, haven't left the house yet since getting home om monday altho A went in a crap sling on an errand with mrnc earlier.

ive got bresastfeeding working but hardly discreet, topless most of the time! hey the builders have turned up every day since his birth...

will be wanting visitors certainly after next wk when mrnc is back at work.

Crazycatlady Sat 20-Sep-08 15:11:08

Well done on the breastfeeding notcitrus, your builders must be mightly pleased!

How's your SPD? Is it getting better now after the birth?

Looking forward to meeting Adam!

notcitrus Sun 21-Sep-08 18:39:08

SPD appears to be getting better - I can walk up and down stairs normally now, but very tired after about 100 yards. Bit hard to tell what is SPD and what is birth though - I feel like I've fallen and landed on my tailbone, so need to sit on a cushion! I can get up and down a bit better, mainly using stomach muscles, so very glad I avoided a cs.

Went to local shops on Friday and today we went to Homebase to buy more pillows (I need 3 non-slidy ones to feed, and with three rooms to feed in plus people staying over...), a couple battery-op push-on night lights (forget the baby waking up too fully in the night, you will hate bright light at 4am, and I can't reach some of our lamps), a bin with lid for the bathroom (maternity pads...), and a new kettle as ours died yesterday. And a shelf to go across the bath, so I don't need to worry about dropping my mobile in the water...

at some point I'll write up my top tips for birth, but rest assured that our care at Georges during labour/delivery/recovery was faultless, daytime postnatal care was good, and the nighttime postnatal care was OK, just make sure you keep ringing the bell. And if you're on medication when you arrive, make sure you tell them that you'll need it the minute you go to the postnatal ward.

I know lots of you are planning homebirths (and I was considering it) but the MLU where I spent 8 hours was fantastic - peaceful, big pool, lovely 2-tier beanbag, en suite bathroom, plus my 3 partners and a friendly midwife. It was actually quite fun until my joints fell apart and we had to transfer me downstairs (if I'd been at home we'd have had to go to hospital at that point).

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 22-Sep-08 16:04:16

glad to hear you're getting up and about and a bit better notcitrus

everyone still up for wednesday - anyone heard anything from sophia/claire? just want to make sure we haven't missed any more streatham babies!

cheekyjackrussell Mon 22-Sep-08 17:11:25

hello, me again - sorry i have been away with work. thanks for replying to my enquiry. i'm not sure i will be back in time on the 24th, but thought i would try and come down if i am back. i've got 6 weeks to go til i'm due and 3 more weeks at work, at which point meeting up hopefully will be easier. well done notcitrus! i'm wishing i was at st george's now as St Thomas's seem to have a much more rigid approach and are a bit short on staff, despite their new birth centre.

cheekyjackrussell Mon 22-Sep-08 17:12:30

incidentally, i'm 37, does that make me too old for this group? i'm one of the older first time mums at our NCt group too.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 23-Sep-08 12:13:03

no age limit cheekyjackrussell otherwise I'd have been ousted for being one of the youngest! looking forward to meeting you if you make it down

SparkyUK Tue 23-Sep-08 14:19:06

Definitely no age boundaries either end! I sort of feel like we're all going to revert to having 0 years of knowledge and experience when our babies arrive anyway...

Also, cheeky, I don't know if you started with the yoga in the end or not, but I've just been to my second class today and I'm at 36w+4d. Kathleen seems more than happy to take us late comers and the atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed and she throws in some birth and baby tips along the way. I'm happy to fill you in tomorrow night if you'd like.

Hope to see everyone there!

squeezebox Wed 24-Sep-08 16:28:10

Hi All
Wow I wrote something ages ago on this thread and have tuned back in today to find a whole Streatham scene happening! Would it be ok if I met up wit you all at PB at the next one? I think someone said the 8th Oct...
Am due end of Nov...fell like a clapped out old banger at the mo but maybe that's because my twins running me ragged
Am heartened to find that not everyone does nct, I always felt a bit left out last time cos I didn't bother when having the twins
Would be nice to find some Streatham mums- I always end up in Tooting or Balham
Hope to meet some of you over next few months...

SparkyUK Wed 24-Sep-08 16:45:10

Hi squeezebox - yes, I find the number of streatham mums (or mums-to-be) very heartening. We're actually meeting tonight as well if you'd like to come along, though understand if it's a bit last minute for you. Would love to see you on the 8th instead then.

squeezebox Wed 24-Sep-08 16:54:21

Thanks Sparky
That'd be great but its my 3rd wedding anniversary so husband has promised to cook me a curry! Ah, the romance of it all...
the 8th would be great though

Crazycatlady Wed 24-Sep-08 20:50:45

Lovely to see you tonight ladies!

Squeezebox do come on the 8th if you can, it would be lovely to have another member of the gang. And cheeky if you're up for coming along on the 8th do definitely, shame you couldn't make it tonight...

I'm off for a really early night with the whole double bed to myself while Mr Crazy is away. Lonely, but sooo nice to have all the extra space!

Crazycatlady Wed 24-Sep-08 20:51:58

p.s. notcitrus - lovely to hear your update and so glad the SPD is easing. Looking forward to hearing the birth tips!

Pianobum Thu 25-Sep-08 13:24:31

Sorry I couldn't make it last night, I've got this bleeding awful cold and didn't want to pass it onto you ladies. So I shall hope to see you all on the 8th October instead.

Crazycatlady Thu 25-Sep-08 14:38:49

Oh poor you! hope you can make it on the 8th xx

KarenElaine Sat 27-Sep-08 16:37:25

Hi there
I think I met some of you at Kathleen's yoga a couple of weeks ago- I've swapped to the daytime class but would love to join the gang at the 8th Oct get together if its OK to crash.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 27-Sep-08 18:43:11

the more the merrier!

elmerthe1st Sun 28-Sep-08 16:11:28

Hello Streatham mums-to-be...yet another one here (Streatham Vale bit up from Streatham Common station). I'm just joining this having read some of your messages and was wondering whether I could have some advice from anyone out there? I am almost 6 months pregnant with my second baby (first one is a huge 18 months old) and have already been assigned the Ivory team at St George's. I had my first one there and had a great experience but I really want a home birth this time round but have just read that the Ivory midwives don't offer this. I've also contacted the Albany mdwives but wondered whether anyone knew whether I could request a transfer to St Thomas' for the Valley team, a change to another team or St George's or had any other suggestions? Also wondered whether it would be ok to come along on the 8th October for your planned get-together as I'd love to meet some more mums in the area?

Crazycatlady Mon 29-Sep-08 16:49:21

Hi Elmer

You should be able to request a transfer to the Valley team if they still have availability for your due date. Sounds like you're round about the same as me (Boxing Day), and I don't think they have any other Christmas bookings so it's worth a try! You'll need to call the St Thomas's antenatal team on 020 7188 8001.

Do come along on the 8th, there's a few of us who meet regularly and have a good old whinge about swollen ankles and tiredness wink... and most importantly, enjoy the delicious milkshakes at PB!

elmerthe1st Mon 29-Sep-08 19:19:22

Thanks Crazy cat Lady - that's really helpful. I'm definitely hoping to make it on the 8th - love to meet some more Streatham mums. I'm actually not quite as far on as you (hmm, maybe wishing this pregnancy over!) but closer to Pianobum as the due date's the 7th of Feb. I've made an appointment withmy midwives to talk through all the options on Thursday and will keep your info handy so I can call if needed after that. Are you all going to the yoga classes on a Tuesday evening? I'd love to join a session but already do Pilates on a Tuesday at 7.30pm so can't make it then. I could of course do a daytime sess but have my 18 month old monster to consider so not sure that's realistic...

SparkyUK Mon 29-Sep-08 22:47:06

Hi elmer: Do talk directly to your midwives as well as there always seems to be lots of rumors and misinformation and changing policies etc etc. If you switch to Valley I think they are associated with St Thomas' only but you may not mind that.

hope to see you on the 8th!

elmerthe1st Tue 30-Sep-08 11:58:43

Thanks sparky - I'm holding back on doing anything else till I've spoken to the mw's on Thursday now. Also just thought girls - is it okay to bring my little bug along on the 8th? He's 18 months old and a lovely handful(!) My hubby won't be back by 5.30pm, but I'd like to make it if that's still ok. If I'm hovering in the doorway, I'll be the one with the larger-than-average-5 mnth bump and a blonde boy!. See you all then

KathyOnTheGo Tue 30-Sep-08 14:45:35

Hello All Mums to Be!
i'm also new to this page(expecting my first one),currently live in Streatham Vale and would love to meet up on the 8th but am working till 6pm so probably won't get there till about 6.40.Won't that be too late?

Crazycatlady Tue 30-Sep-08 14:49:05

Elmer of course it's fine to bring along the little one! PB is very baby friendly

Most of us are first timers so it would be good to actually spend some time with a toddler!!

Kathy we're normally still there way past 7pm so do come along if you can

elmerthe1st Tue 30-Sep-08 16:30:52

great - we wil see you all then. Kathy - I'm sort of towards Streatham Vale (off Ellison Road), I'm older than some of you youngsters at 35 and did work in PR until I decided I didn't want tomiss my little man's first steps/ words/ everything ... and now will have another to deal with anyway so perhaps a good thing I got used to the being at home! My name's Rachel by the way - the 'Elmer' bit comes from a very old nickname. Looking forward to meeting you all on the 8th...

boy Tue 30-Sep-08 17:16:32

I meant to reply to this but ended up adding a new thread (new member !!!) You might find a midwife who runs private lessons like me I dont know where streatham is but I run them in Oakham in rutland if that helps. I will be working again in nov after mat leave

KathyOnTheGo Tue 30-Sep-08 18:50:26

Really looking forward to meeting you all on the 8th then. Btw,am i the only one that opted for Mayday Hosp.?
Elmerthe1st,I'm off Rowan Rd so not too far from you I quess...

squeezebox Thu 02-Oct-08 16:30:18

Hi all
So does anyone know how many there are in this Streatham posse?
Looking forward to waddling along on the 8th- most people getting there for 5.30, is that right?

Boobz Thu 02-Oct-08 20:24:54

Hello all! I'm back! Did you miss me??

A very relaxing holiday in France and Tiree (tiny Scottish Island off the West Coast) and am now chomping at the bit to catch up with all your news.

Who has had babies whilst I have been away? How many new mums do we have on our Streatham list? I will do a bit of a trawl through the old posts and do a roll call for Weds 8th and see whether we can entice some of the originals (Miss LA?) back along...

Finally look pregnant (or Fat - ish) which is heartening.

Also see some of you on Tuesday for yoga - is it just Effie, Katherine and myself in that sesh?

A

Boobz Thu 02-Oct-08 20:25:29

Shit - sorry - used real names. Not sure how to delete post - hope I haven't outed anyone who didn't want to be?!

x

Crazycatlady Thu 02-Oct-08 21:10:52

Hi Boobz, glad you had a lovely holiday, so jealous of you getting away! Glad to hear your bump is emerging. Mine suddenly feels huuuuge...although I know it's going to get a lot bigger, I just can't imagine how! The logistics seem quite ridiculous.

No more babies yet, although expecting some news from Danigirl soon...

Quite a few new people will be there on the 8th I think which will be lovely, but I'll see you on Tuesday anyway.

Had some news from the Valley team today for anyone trying to transfer. One of the team has been promoted so they're down to 3. Unless you're planning a homebirth they now won't be there for the labour or birth, it'll be hospital midwives, which is a bit disappointing. Also all their antenatal apppointments will be at Gracefield Gardens rather than at home.

Not much to grumble about really, but I got myself all wound up this morning when the letter arrived thinking 'what if I end up having to transfer to hospital' etc... no point getting stressed about it I guess.

Probably also means they won't be taking any more transfers as their caseload will be shared among 3 now.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 03-Oct-08 18:38:01

aw bugger - had my m/w appt today to pick up the homebirth kit and they said there is one streatham midwife ever on call so if someone else is in labour then i have to go to hospital, my midwife left a message with valley in the hope they might have a last minute vacancy but that sounds like it's down the pan....argh, why didn't I transfer ages ago?

I bumped into sofarsobreech at gracefield gardens today - it's her due date and she still manages to look fresh and gorgeous! so no more babies til we hear from dannigirl

I won't be at yoga on tuesday cos I'm doing the morning session, but will be there on wednesday - if anyone's up for getting there for 5 again I'm game, cos have to be at a friend's house for dinner at 7:30

Boobz Fri 03-Oct-08 19:39:26

I can do 5 on Weds - lots to catch up on by the sounds of it! Looking forward to it
xxx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 06-Oct-08 18:12:48

In case of anyone who hasn't heard - the 2nd streatham baby has arrived!

Danigirl gave birth to Olivia Grace on 3rd October, weighing 7lb 8oz.....congrats honey!!!

Crazycatlady Mon 06-Oct-08 18:28:11

I can do 5 on Weds too. We can celebrate Olivia's arrival with milkshakes

Pianobum Mon 06-Oct-08 20:22:30

Hi Ladies!

I shall be there for about 7.15pm on Wednesday, really looking forward to meeting you all.

Boobz Tue 07-Oct-08 12:34:38

Well done Danigirl! Fabulous news! Can't wait to hear all about it.

GWTMH - did you do yoga this morning? Are you going to night Crazy?

Crazycatlady Tue 07-Oct-08 14:04:16

Yep I'm going tonight, are you?

Boobz Tue 07-Oct-08 14:07:30

Indeedy - haven't been for 3 weeks so will be good to get back into it. When are you due again?

Crazycatlady Tue 07-Oct-08 14:26:42

Boxing Day... (waaah!)

Cool, see you there

Boobz Tue 07-Oct-08 17:05:52

Oh I knew that, silly me. See you later potata

Boobz Wed 08-Oct-08 10:55:09

Was good to see you last night Crazy. And am looking forward to a proper catch up at PB tonight. Who's coming? This thread has gone off the boil a bit hey? Too busy having babies or something....

KarenElaine Wed 08-Oct-08 12:14:58

Hi
I'm planning to come along tonight - I introduced myself here a week or so ago after meeting a few of you at yoga a while back.
I shall look out for a group of pregnant looking ladies....I am 32 wks so look obviously pregnant so give me a wave if you see someone looking vague!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 08-Oct-08 13:27:13

i'm on for tonight at 5....

yeah did yoga yesterday morning, sorted me out for the day but a bit sad to not be the most pregnant one there!

Crazycatlady Wed 08-Oct-08 14:54:47

Cool, see you all there tonight.

Yep with you not in the evening class now GWTMH, there were a few alarmed faces on the girls who realised that they were now the most pregnant people in the class!

I slept so well after yoga last night and had lots of lovely dreams, put me in quite a serene, floaty mood today!!

KathyOnTheGo Thu 09-Oct-08 21:34:32

Hi everyone
sorry I couldn't make it last night, got delayed at work...hope to meet you all at the next one.
is it in 2 weeks again?

Boobz Fri 10-Oct-08 09:15:46

It sure is... we may have 2 more babies by then - Girlwiththemouseyhair and SparkyUK are due before then I think. And we got to meet little Adam, Notcitrus's little boy born a couple of weeks ago. And hopefully Danigirl will be there with her baby Olivia born at the beginning of the month! It's all happening! I'm so excited for all of them and I'm only 17 weeks!

x

Crazycatlady Fri 10-Oct-08 18:23:37

Me too! It seems like SUCH a long time until this baby arrives...

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sun 12-Oct-08 23:03:58

hell it feels like ages til my baby will arrive - 8 days tomorrow people, but I'm taking bets on an early november baby!

Boobz Mon 13-Oct-08 08:47:17

8 days! So exciting! Everything prepared? Have we heard about sofarsobreech yet??

squeezebox Mon 13-Oct-08 17:32:47

hi all
was sorry not to have made it along on 8th, our household got hit by a vomiting bug, was still feeling a bit rotten and didn't think pregnant ladies would appreciate it being passed on!
hope to catch one of the next 2 meet-ups before my due date (end of Nov)
good luck those due before...

Boobz Wed 15-Oct-08 10:25:51

Hey everyone,

So what have people been thinking about child care? People have just started to talk about it on my Due March 09 thread, and talked of ridiculous waiting lists, so I called up Cavendish Lodge on Lewin Road and they said their waiting list is until Dec 2009! That's a 14 month waiting list! Argh. I would need some kind of child care from Sept 09, so really need to be thinking about this now. Are there many Streatham mums who are going back to work and need child care? Have you visited all the nurseries? Anyone having a nanny? Am confused as to what to do (work from home).

Any ideas?

Boobz Fri 17-Oct-08 11:18:23

ROLE CALL!

The next Streatham meet up is on Wednesday 22nd October at Perfect Blend from 5pm (but we usually stay until about 7:30 or even 8:00 for those who can't come until after work).

We've got about 7 or so "regulars" but I've just been back over this entire thread and think we are still waiting to meet some Streatham mums and mums-to-be... are you there:

KT1983
Fran78
Cheekyjackrussell
Elmerthe1st
Kathyonthego
Squeezebox

???

We'd love to meet you all, and are hoping to keep this little club growing as much as we can. See you on Wednesday??

Ali xxx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 17-Oct-08 12:36:40

have just met Juliet on the valley team and have to reiterate what everyone has said before - if you're going for a homebirth in streatham try to get on their books...I'm due on tuesday (eeek) and they've got room for me so it's possible to transfer even at this late stage and I am absolutely guaranteed to at least attempt my homebirth, as opposed to the streatham team who made it sound less likely (unless I give birth on friday when there's nobody on call, eeek again!)

there's my plug for valley
xx

Crazycatlady Sat 18-Oct-08 17:56:02

Oh yay great news re Valley! xx

elmerthe1st Sat 18-Oct-08 19:58:30

Ali - I will try and be there on Wednesday though it does mean dragging my little one along again ... as long as nothing untoward happens, I'll be there with Joseph.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 18-Oct-08 20:06:04

I loved meeting Joseph last time!

am sleepless in streatham tonight - DH is at his sister's wedding, I couldn't go cos her daughter has chicken pox - and I'm impatient for my baby!!

Boobz Sun 19-Oct-08 13:40:45

Hi Elmer - sorry about that - I didn't have you on my email list and didn't realise that was your mumsnet name! Would be fab to see you again on Weds, and little Joseph - he is an Angel!

x

charlybaby Mon 20-Oct-08 21:00:48

Hi there

I came across this thread when I was doing a google search for pre natal yoga classes in the Streatham area. I am 4 months pregnant and wanted to get started, and perhaps meet some other mums to be in the area. Does anyone know of any good classes?

Thanks

Charly x

KT1983 Tue 21-Oct-08 08:50:20

Hey Ladies, Ive been a bit hectic lately, so not managed to log on for a while. Im working until about 6 on Wednesday - but going to try and make it to Perfect Blend this week.
Hope you are all doing well?
I had my 22 week scan a couple of weeks ago...

Im having a baby GIRL :-) So excited!!

Take Care all & hopefuly il get to meet you all this week.

Katie

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 21-Oct-08 09:01:28

congrats Katie that's fab news!

Charly come along to Perfect Blend on wednesday from 5, someone can give you the phone number for Kathleen, the streatham goddess of pregnancy yoga

It's my due date today - come on baby!!

KT1983 Tue 21-Oct-08 10:38:39

ooohh...Is it really? How exciting, get the curry ordered in!!! Extra Extra HOT!
Good Luck
xx

Boobz Wed 22-Oct-08 12:35:27

Any news GWTMH? Am assuming not. You need to get that power walking DVD from ajm2000.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this afternoon.

Boobz Thu 23-Oct-08 08:06:15

Another lovely meet up last night - was so good to meet Danigirl's little girl and catch up with everyone else. We missed you GWTMH - hope you are feeling more labour-ish today!

Still missed you KT and others - but maybe next time?

Next meet up is Weds 5th Nov, but there are some of us meeting up in between I think, during the day. And of course Kathy's yoga sesh's!

Hope GWTMH and Sparky have exciting news for us as well before then! xxx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 23-Oct-08 14:19:03

no news form me - took a long walk across the common this morning, was just really frustrated yesterday so sorry for not turning up - think I'd have bored the pants off you all wiht my moaning. DH took me to the cinema last night at 9pm which has bucked my ideas up a bit, trying to just make the most of the last few days/weeks of freedom and not get so stressed about my distinct lack of baby!

trying to plan stuff every day so count me in for day time trips next week (really hope on 5th I'll have a baby to show you all!)

Crazycatlady Fri 31-Oct-08 09:38:39

Ooh make the most of those last cinema trips! We're going to see Bond on Sunday, probably just at the skanky Odeon round the corner, but I'll be too distracted by the lovely Daniel Craig to care about sticky carpets...

We went to see the birth centre at Tommies last night. There were SO many people on the tour!!!

I'm hoping it was a largely irrelevant exercise and everything is ok to give birth at home but it was good to go and see it just to be prepared in case we have to transfer for any reason or be induced.

The rooms were pleasant and clean and the garden room looked like a peaceful place to chill, but being a hospital it's just so damn hot in there!

We couldn't see the postnatal ward which was disappointing as that's the bit I'm most worried about really if I have to go in. Those of us who are already mums, what did you think? Was it bearable or is it worth begging, borrowing and stealing to pay the huge fees for the private suite? Theoretically of course... no idea where I would find £600 a night from!

Boobz Wed 05-Nov-08 10:29:01

Hello ladies! Just in case there are still some first timers who are lurking but haven't been along to the meet up yet, we've had another baby arrive in the form of Ethan Christopher, born at home to GWTHMH - well done Girl! Sparky is in hospital as I type so maybe she will get an Fireworks baby! How brilliant would that be, to have free fireworks on your birthday every year (worth waiting for Sparky ;)

I think a few of us are not able to make tonight's meeting as scheduled, so there is an alternative meet up on Friday (7th) at 4pm at 19 (also on the high road) - just for a bit of variety! Hopefully we'll get to meet Ethan and hear something about Sparky's LO.

Still looking forward to meeting all the ladies who haven't been to PB yet - I'm only 21 weeks so will need to find some more preggers girls to keep me company once all these new mums have sprogged!

Ali xx

Crazycatlady Wed 05-Nov-08 12:41:29

I'm so looking forward to cake on Friday!

Miserable and grumpy today for some reason, slept really badly and just looking at all the work I have to get done before going on maternity leave is making me want to hide in a hole and stick my fingers in my ears!

See you all on Friday, hopefully less grumpy... x

Boobz Wed 05-Nov-08 21:52:00

I know how you feel Crazy. I had a mad day with back to back meetings and then got home to a scared witless dog because of all the fireworks! And yet more work to be done tonight before tomorrow morning and all I want to do is watch Silent Witness with a glass of vino. Ugh.

Scan tomorrow - yip! And looking forward to Friday as well.... xxx

Crazycatlady Thu 06-Nov-08 11:55:39

Oh yay! Let us know how the scan goes. See you tomorrow xx

Boobz Thu 06-Nov-08 20:18:15

It went fab! Everything in the right place! Saw it kicking and felt it at the same time which was lovely to see.

See you tomorrow xxx

gingersarah Fri 07-Nov-08 09:38:21

Hello all Streatham ladies,

I met Boobz on the homebirth thread and as I am nearly local (Norbury) she told me about you all on here.

Big welcome to Ethan! and congratulations to TGWTMH.

I can't do day time meetups at the moment (unless you ever meet at weekends) but look forward to "meeting" everyone online. have a good time this afternoon!

notcitrus Fri 07-Nov-08 14:12:02

are people still meeting at 4pm at PB today?
I'm stranded out of the house while stairs are put in so will be heading there in a mo (2.15pm)

charlybaby Fri 07-Nov-08 15:09:39

Hi everyone

Was going to come along tonight to 19 to meet you all but just noticed that it is at 4, and I don't finish work in Covent Garden until 5.30 so there is no way I can make it.

I'm also from Streatham - 19 weeks at the moment (so slightly behind you Boobz), still looking for some good yoga classes in the area and to meet some others who are in the same boat. Hopefully I will be able to make it next time you have an evening session. Enjoy yourselves tonnight.

Charly

Boobz Fri 07-Nov-08 19:22:05

Hey all ladies, and especially Ginger and Charly - welcome to the Streatham mums thread. We met at Nineteen today, for coffee and cakes and it was fab to meet little Ethan, GWTMH's bubba. He's a little star and slept in my arms for over an hour which makes him a fabulous baby and me a natural (ha ha - am still bricking for this March!).

At the meet up we arranged to meet up again next Wednesday at 2pm Nineteen as a lot of us are either on maternity or work from home / part time (me included). This isn't particularly helpful for the working ladies of course, so I think we should also arrange a later meet up of a 7pm gathering at Perfect Blend on Weds 19th (which is our normal Weds meet up). We have also discussed having a December (Christmas!) Sunday lunch meet up in a friendly pub, so that all our lovely other halves can meet us and each other! So, just to be clear, it's:

Weds 12th 2pm at Nineteen
Weds 19th 7pm at Perfect Blend
Sunday in Dec at pub tbc for all the daddies as well!

As for yoga Charly, a few of us are signed up to Kathleen Beegan's yoga classes (CrazyCat and I go on Tues nights) at her house in Stanthorpe Road, and we think it's fab. If you want to tag along for a night to see if you like it, let me know and I will send you her phone number etc.

Anyway - rabbiting on now, so just to reiterate how lovely it was to see everyone and let's hope SparkyUK has some good news for us soon!

Boobz (Ali)

Boobz Fri 07-Nov-08 22:13:58

Come on then - 'fess up GWTMH, Dannigirl, Sofarsobreech, Notcitrus - how bad is it really? I have just dicovered this thread:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=_chat&threadid=640774-Can-I-just-ask-was-I-unusual-in -hating-almost&pg=1

Is it really that hard?! I want to know next time I see you with all your perfect lovely first borns! xxx

notcitrus Sat 08-Nov-08 13:42:42

Yes Boobz, it is that bad.
It's also ecstatically wonderful, hopefully about the same proportion of time.
And a fair bit of tedium.

I'm fine as long as I've had some sleep. When I've had a couple bad nights and grizzly days, I get hysterical - which is why I have a list of poeple to call on and hand over baby, bottle, blanket, and go get some kip.

Right, off to bed...

Crazycatlady Sat 08-Nov-08 15:23:00

I'm just reading that thread, probably shouldn't, although I'd rather be prepared for the reality of having a newborn I think!

Boobz you're very organised with meet-up dates, I'm impressed! Mr Crazy was just asking last night when he's going to get to meet all the dads. I think he's feeling a bit left out.

Hi to Ginger and Charly, hope to meet you both soon.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 08-Nov-08 20:46:20

if you'd posted that message three days ago I would have said yes absolutely - the first few days at least were so so hard for me but thanks to a few decent night's sleep I'm feeling much better about it all - but I've been lucky with the breast feeding and I'm only just into week 2 and well aware it can all go tits up again at any minute so I'm just enjoying the wonderful moments and trying not to stress or freak out at the less wonderful moments...finding that reminding myself about the hormones crashing through my system really helps!!

will be well up for next wednesday - please everyone pray or wish or whatever my plumbing gets done in one day!

Boobz Sat 08-Nov-08 20:51:57

Sending you plumbing vibes...

Crazycatlady Mon 10-Nov-08 13:20:34

I had a strange dream about breastfeeding last night, that I'd been feeding only from the right and completely forgotten about the left and ended up with terrible lopsided boobs. I guess this is the beginning of the weird dreams in the run up to D-Day! Argh...

I should be about Wednesday for tea and cake. I've just had a lunch meeting cancelled (hurrah!) so should make it by 2 x

Boobz Mon 10-Nov-08 13:45:34

Can't believe you are on the countdown for d-day already Crazy - don't leave me behind! Fab news you can come on Weds. Hopefully Sarah and Atticus (LOVE that name!) can make it too.

Anyone got any ideas for Christmas lunch (with DHs / DPs) date in December? Let's see if we can get a tally on here -- here are some dates, can you all say which one you think might suit you:

Saturday 6th
Sunday 7th
Saturday 13th
Sunday 14th

I will count up the responses and book somewhere child friedly (probably The Earl Ferrers near Streatham Station, but if anyone else has a fantastic suggestion for something else then let me know)

Boobz xxx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 10-Nov-08 21:28:36

we can't do 13th/14th....the watrerfront is pretty child friendly - as is the station opposite streatham common station and does a great roast (though not as much room for a big group)

Crazycatlady Tue 11-Nov-08 18:00:36

I think we can do any of those dates at the moment, but I need to check when Kathleen's next birth preparation day is as we want to do that. Will check tonight x

Boobz Wed 12-Nov-08 18:05:33

Looks like Saturday 6th Dec is the day we are aiming for - will book us in to The Earl Ferrers and top up the seats as more people say they are available. Still waiting to hear from Notcitrus, Dannigirl, Sofarsobreach and a few others.

Newbies welcome!

x

gingersarah Fri 14-Nov-08 11:42:12

Hi Boobz, also GWTMH, hello everyone!

I haven't been online all week so sorry for not reading through all the posts I have missed. I just wanted to check in to say I would love to meet you all and sat / sun dates are good for me.

GWTMH, I read your birth story and was deeply moved and excited and impressed and admiring. Congratulations!

Not sure if this might be regarded as declasse and low rent, but I have bought some second hand maternity clothes online in a bundle and some of the trousers are too long and narrow for me. If / when I do get to meet you, does anyone want some size 12 under the bump jeans for someone with long-ish legs? and maybe some other stuff too.

gingersarah Sun 16-Nov-08 09:20:02

Gosh,tumbleweed! Hope everyone is happily busy with better things to do than lurk around the internet.

Someone asked about yoga. there is a lovely yoga centre in Norbury, very accessible to Streatham people, only a little way south down the A23. They do special pregnancy classes on Wednesdays at 6 (which I can't make sadly). I am not an expert but I got a lot of benefit from the course I did here: a very meditative atmosphere, not at all like classes you would do in a gym, and very considerate teaching. here it is:
www.satyamyoga.co.uk/

Boobz Sun 16-Nov-08 20:27:33

Hey Ginger - am still here, just trying to wean myself off MN a little! Seem to spend most of my working week on here so tend to lay off on the weekends!

Thanks for offer of maternity clothes but am a stumpy 5ft 3 so not sure if they will work on these short legs!

In my infitite wisdom, I have organised the Xmas lunch meet up for a day I am not even in the country! Yep, Sat 6th Dec I will be in Dublin for a work do so can't make it to the day that I harrassed everyone to commit to, but of course you should all go ahead anyway and I will meet all your lovely men on another occasion.

So next meet up is this Weds 7pm at Pefect Blend - who's in?

xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sun 16-Nov-08 21:57:19

we can do another day can't we boobz? how about the weekend before?

have a lovely time on wednesday - bit late for me and wee man and my mum's here and cooking a family meal for us anyhoo...but i breast fed in PB today, woo hoo go me!

Boobz Mon 17-Nov-08 08:39:06

Indeed - GO GWTMH! They should sell t-shirts saying "I Heart breast feeding in PB" to go with their "I Heart Streatham" t-shirts.

Weekend before I am at a rugby match with hubby, (England vs someone or other) so I can't so that. Will try to think of something though as am so keen to meet all the Streatham Daddies...

Good weekend all?

Boobz Mon 17-Nov-08 17:33:37

Hey everyone,

So, we're nearly Weds again. Whose coming? It's been scheduled for 7pm to try and allow for workers coming in from the centre of town - Ginger and Charly - think thats you? Also, still haven't heard from the following peeps in a while - might we see you there this Weds (19th) from 7pm?

KT1983
Fran78
Cheekyjackrussell
Kathyonthego
Squeezebox

Do post and let us know if you can make it this week! For other who are looking for a day time meet up, we're aiming for Thursday at around lunch - will post final time when there is a concensus.

Best - Boobz

gingersarah Tue 18-Nov-08 09:38:44

Hi! I think I can make tomorrow (Wed 19th). Is this Perfect Blend?
If anyone wants the jeans (a couple of pairs, one Benetton) please post today so I can bring them tomorrow. can't wait to see you all. will we be wearing muslins as buttonholes or something, as identifiers?

Boobz Tue 18-Nov-08 09:43:00

Hey Ginge,

I think it might just be me and you, as loads of the ladies who used to do the evening PB meet-up have all selfishly gone and had babies, so now it's past their bed time. Us preggers lot will have to fly the flag! Think one other girl is coming so far - but could be a small gathering.

Not that that matters! Looking forward to meeting you! xxx

squeezebox Tue 18-Nov-08 13:32:32

Hiya all
Am so sorry- my head wants to meet up with people but my body just refusing to play ball, keep falling asleep when the twins do at 7! I know it's a bit rubbish of me.
That said, am really keen to know a few local ladies with teeny babies, this will be the first time I may be able to sit in a cafe with a baby, never seemed do-able with 2 at once...
So if can possibly make it out I will.
(due in a week so who knows...)

Boobz Thu 20-Nov-08 10:12:12

Hi all,

Was lovely to see Pianobum and Gingersarah last night at PB - a small gathering but we still managed to gas away for over 2 hours! Ginger - I forgot to get your email address to add you to our mailing list - can you send it to me at ali_bishop at hotmail dot com ?

Everyone - CHRISTMAS LUNCH has been confirmed for Saturday 13th December. We are booked into The Earl Ferrers which is at 22 Ellora Road here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=The+earl+Ferrers+streatham&fb=1&cid=0,0 ,8964949796990415771&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

and all partners and newbies are welcome! I have booked it for 2 - 5 so that it's not too early a start for the mums amongst us. Any qs, just give me a shout. Really looking forward to it - I'm bring Christmas crackers and everything!

Crazycatlady Thu 20-Nov-08 16:03:18

Hurray! Christmas Lunch! I'm so looking forward to it, particularly as we won't be doing 'proper' Christmas this year what with Frogmella being due on Boxing Day...

You're so organised Boobz, love it.

gingersarah Thu 20-Nov-08 20:13:23

Hi! Will email you Boobz.
thanks for organising, great to see you and pianobum. Unfortunately I can't make the xmas lunch, I thought it was a clear date but it isn't. also ... still haven't been made redundant so no day time meet ups for me either!

Pianobum Thu 20-Nov-08 20:42:45

Boobz/Gingersarah - It was great catching up with you both yesterday! If there isn't anymore Wednesday evening meet's I shall look forward to seeing everyone on the 13th December and then for coffee and cake when I start maternity at Christmas.

Speak to you all soon xx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 26-Nov-08 22:20:58

am well impressed that boobz has found way to fill her days "working from home" by organising our streatham christmas lunch!

think we'll leave the buggy at home and bring the sling seeing as there should be at least 5 babies there!

i miss Kathleen's yoga class by the way gutted her postnatal one is full!

Boobz Thu 27-Nov-08 14:42:11

I am actually tres tres busy at the moment and haven't got time to fart let alone swan about being a mum which sounds easy peasy if you ask me. I am off to Dublin all of next week for work and then a conference and all sorts. God I can't wait for Christmas!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 27-Nov-08 18:18:05

yeah whatever - i know you're just sat at home eating hobnobs in front of mumsnet!!

Boobz Fri 28-Nov-08 09:43:38

Spooky....

Crazycatlady Fri 28-Nov-08 17:24:24

Mmm hobnobs... must buy some dark choc ones to have in the house.

Lovely to see you today ladies. Can't believe how grown up the babies are starting to look already.

Mr Crazy came home with a shiny new Macbook today so I can see I'm going to waste a lot of my maternity leave playing with it. It's so shiny and pretty...

charlybaby Sat 29-Nov-08 13:08:22

HI everyone,

I did come along to the last meeting in Perfect Blend but I didn't see any pregnant looking ladies so I thought it must have been cancelled. I was looking forward to meeting you all as well! I am very interested in Kathleens yoga classes - I would love some more info. Can someone email me at charlotte.simpson@medacs.com. I would really appreciate it. Hope you are all well.

Charly

Boobz Sun 30-Nov-08 16:45:08

Hey Charly - have emailed you! xxx

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sun 30-Nov-08 18:55:46

crazycatlady if you get bored of the macbook tomorrow, i have to sit in at home waiting for ethan's passport to arrive and would love some company!!

Boobz Tue 09-Dec-08 12:29:34

Just a friendly reminder to anyone new or old who is coming along to the Christmas lunch on Saturday:

Hi all,

Everyone - CHRISTMAS LUNCH has been confirmed for Saturday 13th December. We are booked into The Earl Ferrers which is at 22 Ellora Road here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=The+earl+Ferrers+streatham&fb=1&cid=0,0 ,8964949796990415771&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

and all partners and newbies are welcome! I have booked it for 2 - 5 so that it's not too early a start for the mums amongst us. Any qs, just give me a shout. Really looking forward to it - I'm bring Christmas crackers and everything!

xx

Crazycatlady Wed 10-Dec-08 11:54:23

Hurray, Christmas Lunch! Can't wait xx

MegCraig Sun 14-Dec-08 18:53:01

Hello Streatham Mums & Mums to be

I'm due in March, and currently attending NCT in Streatham. Hoping to go to Kathleen Beegan's active yoga classes in the new year - do any of you go? I would love to talk to other mums in the area who might be interested in meeting up...We're planning a home birth, so would love to talk to others who are planning the same
TTFN
Megan

Crazycatlady Sun 14-Dec-08 19:30:08

Hi Meg, welcome to the thread!

Yes a few of us go to Kathleen's yoga - very good, highly recommend it!

Quite a lot of us have had our babies now, just a few of us still hanging on in there,,, I'm due in 2 weeks so Tuesday will be my last yoga, Boobz is in March though and I'm sure would love to have a fellow March companion smile.

We meet every week, in PB or Nineteen - usually during the day, but there may be a few up for an evening meet or a weekend in the next few weeks.

Talk to GWTMH about homebirth, she had a very lovely one and was well looked after by the Valley team. Which hospital/midwives are you with?

I was also planning a homebirth, but can't now due to various complications. Boobz is planning a homebirth too, it's quite a popular choice in Streatham!

MegaBump Sun 14-Dec-08 19:44:58

Hullo Crazycatlady and thanks for the warm welcome

I have amended my user name, as my original choice felt quite boring!

It's great to know there's a group to link up with, not least as since I have become pregnant I seem not to see all my party friends anymore, and am starting to feel quite boring!

I'm under Croydon/Mayday midwives, as we live more towards Norbury now than Streatham. We lived in Streatham Hill for 5 years, and I so wish we had waited another 18 months to buy so that we could still be there - Norbury is not as nice

PB and Nineteen are both old haunts of mine, and I'll hope to meet up with you guys if you plan an evening weekend meet in the next few weeks, or during the day once I go on leave. Roll on the end of Feb - yahooooooo grin

MegaBump Sun 14-Dec-08 19:49:49

PS I'm sorry to hear you couldn't have the HB you wanted. I know I have to prepare myself for that possibility too sigh

Boobz Mon 15-Dec-08 09:55:22

Hi Meg - I warbled on about how great the Streatham Mum's thread was on the Homebirth thread and didn't realise that CrazyCat had already filled you in on the details here! And I have spotted you on the Due March thread! So I think that makes us kindred spirits (or summat) as you are a Due March homebirther in Streatham like me and and have found your way onto the only 3 threads I have on my 'Watch' setting.

I don't go on maternity leave until end of Feb either, but work from home so I manage to meet up with the others during the day quite a lot. I realise that is rubbish for the proper workers amongst us who can only manage evenings and weekends, so I try and get to those as well, especially as I am trying to recruit as many fellow pregnant people as possible - I am very much out numbered by mums now! And Crazy's going to leave me behind soon as well! Bah!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 19-Dec-08 22:26:46

Welcome Megabump - I had a lovely HB which I adore gushing about(it's since then I've found it more difficult) so more than happy to share the gory details!

Kathleen's yoga is wonderful, also get yourself to Leigham Practice to have a pregnancy massage from Michelle and she'll show your DH techniques to massage pain away during labour - absolutely the best pain relief I had.

Think we'll next be meeting up in the New Year now, looking forward to meeting you

Boobz Wed 07-Jan-09 09:25:33

Looks like we lost megabump as quickly as she arrived!

Just bumping this thread in case there are any more Streathamites who want to join in our weekly meet ups. Details coming more on a daily basis with the email list, but I'd like to keep this thread alive in case there are any newbies in the area...

xx

MegaBump Sun 11-Jan-09 16:33:54

Ahh sorry for prolonged silence - I have had a terrible Xmas with my parents splitting up, and have just ben signed off work...humph. I'd love to join the Streathamite mailing list and come and meet up with you guys, especially as it looks like I have quite a bit of time on my hands at the mo!
Hope all is well with everyone - I will try and rediscover some chattiness in the next few days, and I am hoping this bar of Lindt is going to help
Megsx

Boobz Sun 11-Jan-09 21:50:47

Oh Meg - how shitty for you! I'm ever so sorry.

We are meeting next at Perfect Blend on the High Road at 2pm this Tuesday if you are free? Think there will be about 6 or so of us there (maybe more?) Would be lovely to have you along.

In the meantime, if you you email me your email address, I can add you to the mailing list. You can get me at ali_bishop at hotmail dot com

xx

MegaBump Mon 12-Jan-09 19:09:58

Thanks Boobz - I'm going to use this time off to do nice things for myself, the first one being coming to meet you guys in PB tomorrow at 2pm
See you then
Megsx

Boobz Tue 13-Jan-09 08:31:54

You haven't emailed me Megabump! Make sure you do so you go on the email list, as most of the girls in our merry gang only read their emails - it's only little old me that keeps this Streatham thread alive for the newbies...

In any case, looking forward to seeing you at PB today at 2. I'm the still pregnant one - I think everyone else there will have a baby with them.

xx

hello... do you girls meet up in streatham... could i join you one day. my little bambino arrived 5 weeks early on 30 november and missed all my antenatal class so haven't met any other mums & mums-to-be in the local area yet...

lucy.

Boobz Tue 13-Jan-09 18:30:37

Hello Lucy! Of course you can! If you email me your email address, then I can add you to our ever expanding list. Send a note to me at ali_bishop at hotmail dot com

We met today for lunch, but I think some of us are meeting again on Thursday at the Sainsbury's cafe (Streatham Common Sainsbury's) as a couple of the new mums are going to baby clinic in the church next door.

We're also trying to organise a Saturday meet up for the preggers people amongst us who are still working and not yet on mat leave, making day time meet ups hard, but I'm struggling to find a date we can all do at the moment. Keep the 24th pencilled in, in case this is what it ends up being.

Hopefully see you Thursday?! Boobz (Ali) xxx

kiwiwithbump Wed 14-Jan-09 18:28:27

Hi All

I guess I'm due a little later than everyone else... in mid April.

We only moved to Streatham Hill a year ago and as I'm the first of all our friends to embark on motherhood... I'd love to meet a few more local ladies, even just to chat with. The world of 'travel systems' and cots v moses baskets is starting to feel a bit overwhelming!!

I'm still working until mid March but would be keen to meet up at some stage if it's being organised, and you could add one more person to the group?

And anyone who could recommend the best travel system for someone who lives in a top floor flat.. please help!!! grin

Boobz Wed 14-Jan-09 19:01:45

Hi Kiwi,

You're in a similar boat to me - the first of my friends to do the mum thing, so meeting all these Streatham mums has been great for me.

We are next meeting on Thursday (tomorrow) at Sainsbury's cafe as a few of the new mums are going to the baby clinic next to the common, but I think you're probably working. I'm still working too, until Feb 18th, but I work from home so it's a bit more flexible for me.

We're also looking for a Saturday date - probably the 24th, but this is TBC. Why don't you email me at ali_bishop at hotmail dot com and I will add you to our mailing list.

Everyone has an opinion on prams -- not sure I can help as I am still yet to pop so don't have any concrete experience, but I opted for the Bugaboo bee with maxi cosi car seat. 2 other mums have this in our group and there are no complaints so far, but others have bigger prams which might be more useful for the bigger baby / toddler.

We're 16 mums strong now and growing all the time, so even if you don't meet us all now as you're not due till mid April, you'll definitely get to know us all once the baba has arrived if you like Perfect Blend milkshakes as we meet there regularly (once a week ish?) at the mo'

Anyway, email me and I can add you to the list.

Boobz xxx

MegaBump Thu 15-Jan-09 11:17:58

Hello to Kiwiwithbump and Lucypollyanne

I'm 31 weeks and a brand new addition to the list. I went to PB to meet Boobz et al for the first time this week and everyone is so friendly. It was lovely to talk baby/pregnancy without feeling like a baby bore, as all my friends are still living the London party lifestyle!

Sadly I can't make the 24th, but am now off work so have lots of time to hang out online/meet up and talk baby...

As for travel systems, I have a Quinny Buzz with MaxiCosi, mostly because my friend was sent two by Boots.com in error, so I got it half price It is very sturdy/stable and has a pneumatic function that allows you to set it up with one hand. However, it doesn't fold down to be particularly small, which wasn't too much of a concern to us as we have an estate car, but I don't think I'd want to lug it up any amount of stairs on a regular basis while trying to manage a baby as well....!! Hope you find something suitable - the internet has been invaluable to me in making the myriad of decisions re cot/nappies/sling/breast pump etc as new mums make very discerning and critical product reviewers!

Megsx

hello

i also got the quinny buzz 4 with the maxi cosi car seat. so far it has been great, i am not sure it is the lightest option though. also ... ikea is great for nursery furniture. much cheaper than a lot of places but just as good.

we are going to my parents house for two weeks on sunday but hopefully i will meet you all when we get back to london.

ali, i will email you so you have my details.

lucy. xxx.

dannigirl Fri 16-Jan-09 13:24:38

Hey ladies,

Hope we all get to meet you soon.

Kiwiwithbump, come along and meet up. I am a fellow kiwi also living in Streatham Hill. I need some antipodean back up!!

Thanks to Boobz for keeping the thread going!! You're a star!!!

kiwiwithbump Sat 17-Jan-09 21:05:31

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice Sorry - I haven't checked this for a couple of days, so I missed emailing you Ali... I'll do that in the next few minutes. I'm definitely keen for a catch up on the 24th if it gets organised.

Dannigirl - I'm so pleased to have another antipodean about!! Have you even started checking into registering births back home yet... ARrrrgghhh!!!!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

xx

Cheekycel Mon 19-Jan-09 12:54:31

Hi there ladies,

only 12 weeks so have a long way to go, but as Im the first of my group to do the mummy thing thought I could do with some insight and advice!

Just moved to Norbury from Streatham. Would like to join you for Saturday or even evening meetups?

Boobz Mon 19-Jan-09 18:33:51

Hi Cheekycel - glad to meet you. I was only 9 weeks when I joined this thread (back in August!) so I know what it feels like to be miles off from the baby, and also the first in my peer group to start a family.

We are meeting on Thursday at 2pm in Perfect Blend on the Streatham High Road, just opposite Streatham Hill station. There should be a decent turn out - I'd say at least 7 or 8 of us - mostly with babies but there are a few of us still pregnant (including myself). You should come along and meet everyone. Other than that, we have a Sat 31st meet up planned at the Earl Ferrers (tbc) pub in Ellora Road for lunch.

Hopefully see you at one or t'other?

xxx

Cheekycel Tue 20-Jan-09 11:14:28

Thanks for the warm welcome boobz! I wont be able to make it for Thursday's meetup, but have highlighted the 31st on my calendar!

Cheekycel Tue 20-Jan-09 11:18:54

oh! and ladies is it possible?! that at this early stage i already dont have a single pair of trousers that close properly?

Boobz Tue 20-Jan-09 13:06:35

I needed to use a safety pin from about 15 weeks I think, and finally bought some maternity trousers at 20 weeks. Was the best thing I ever did - I wish I'd got them sooner as the relief was immense (same with bigger bras).

So are you still working Cheeky? What do you do? How long have you been a Streathamite? Have you had the 12 week scan yet? Will you find out if it's a boy or a girl?

xx

Cheekycel Tue 20-Jan-09 15:20:15

yes im still working, and finding it a bit hard as Im knackered by 3pm! I work in Accounts Payable for a company that does maintenace of the Tube.
Been living in Streatham since May'08, love pottering around in the High Street on a day off or Saturday afternoon.

the scan, well, when i asked my doctor he said it would be around 16 weeks? whereas I had always heard its at 12, so now my DP wants me to call the hospital and just make my own appointment. Could it be because I decided not to have the nuchal?

Yeah im quite curous to know the sex, as Im finally getting excited now. My family are in SA so its only feeling real for me now that Ive shared the news with my friends
here.

...and this morning i used a rubber band to hold my trousers together blush

Boobz Tue 20-Jan-09 17:15:05

Aww Cheeky - the whole rubber band trick! I used a hair band for a good few weeks.

Not sure about the scan if you're not having the nuchal. I thought the 12 week scan WAS the nuchal scan, so if you were skipping that, then you wouldn't have another scan until the 20 week abnormality scan. But I don't know for sure. Which hospital are you with - St Georges? I'm with Tommies but had both my 12 wk and 20 wk scan at George's (longish story).

Shame you can't make it on Thursday but looking forward to seeing you on the 31st if it all goes ahead as planned!

Boobz Thu 22-Jan-09 08:45:05

Just a quick reminder to any newbies reading this that there is a Streatham Mums (and nearly-mums!) meet up at Perfect Blend on the high road today (opposite Streatham Hill station) at 2pm. Looking forward to seeing everyone there later on today (Thursday 22 Jan)

Boobz xxx

Hamster111 Thu 29-Jan-09 11:45:42

Hello everyone-
I am new to Mumsnet-
Just found it and its a bit of a revelation!

I am a 33 year old female artist and photographer who lives in Streatham Hill- I specialised in life drawing for the past 15 years and have been asked a few times to sketch friends who are pregnant.

It really does seem to make a lovely momento of a really special time. Im thinking of turning it into a little side line, but I thought it might be a good idea to test the water a bit and see what people think first. I have a small studio in Streatham Hill and can also travel to people (not just in Streatham!)- can take tasteful pics and /or sketch for an affordable amount-(we arent talking hundreds of pounds here! I understand it needs to be affordable)

Have a look at my website for info on what I do, and pics of my work ( the prices listed there are gallery prices and therefore higher- not related to how much a sketch might cost):
www.annesite.co.uk

and here for the life drawing business I run:
www.londondrawing.com

Let me know what you think! Wether there might be a market for this type of thing and ideas for marketing it- where and who best to advertise to-

Thanks!

Sorry to intrude but wanted to add - NCT teachers teach some of the NHS classes at St Georges..........

Sara75 - are you eligible for any of the concessions for NCT classes?

The following would be eligible to pay the minimum course fee of £20
- Students under the age of 22
- Under 18s
- Parents receiving one of the following: income support/job seekers allowance/council tax benefit/housing benefit/incapacity benefit , or with an income of less than £15 000 per annum

Eligability for discount of up to 50% of course fee
- Parents with an income of between £15 000 and £25 000

Payments for courses can also be made by instalments