Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anyone pregnant and over 40?

(177 Posts)
teejay Mon 11-Jun-07 13:40:20

There must be a few of us?

wendyredhead Thu 19-Jul-07 22:18:25

Hello! Newbie here Just registered with Mumsnet a few days ago and today got my ++++!

I'm 43 and will be just turned 44 when (if) this pregnancy sticks and it's just as scary as it was with my first pregnancy at 32 - I do believe the tests and scans available now are different to 10 years ago so I'll have to learn!

Maybe someone can fill me in...??

I want to celebrate with some red wine but now I'm scared that even Co-enzyme Q10 will affect this baby! I know I'm going to be saying: can I eat this, that and the other?!

It's exciting isn't it!

Molly65 Fri 20-Jul-07 12:25:40

Hello!

Welcome Wendyredhead. Delighted to hear your news and good luck.

I'm not really au fait with using the message boards and I feel stupid using acronyms! But I do see the point of remaning anonymous and not putting family names down etc.

All the books about pregnancy and what can go wrong give me the heebiegeebies. I rather rely on friends and the midwife to tell me what I need to do and try to enjoy my pregnancy without worrying too much. The other day I read about all the things you need to take to hospital with you for the birth from Mumsnet and I found that helpful -- even though it's a long way ahead!

All the best to everyone. xxxx

wendyredhead Fri 20-Jul-07 22:03:12

Thanks Molly65!

I'm going to take your advice and just enjoy my pregnancy.

There's a website I found called mothersover40 which looked great - had a personal endorsement by none other than Cheri Blair! Now I'm pregant I'll read some of the gory bits!

wendyredhead Fri 20-Jul-07 22:20:11

Muckers: excuse my ignorance but what is a "soft maker"?

Not sure of some of the acronyms also! I'm sure I'll figure them out eventually.

I've only just got my +++ so I'll find out soon but in the meantime if anyone can tell me what tests are offered these days and at what stages for us prehistoric baby carriers?

Thanks

hester Fri 20-Jul-07 22:38:16

Hi all and congratulations. I'm no longer pregnant but had dd at 41. So nice to know I'm not alone!

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Fri 20-Jul-07 22:47:45

Hi

I am 21 weeks and was 40 yesterday (I also have dd 3.8)

I did not opt for any screening and was relieved when told everything looking ok at scan on Monday.

I am having a boy and am ok but do feel tired but I have SPD (pelvic pain) and am still working full time so its not helping.
When I was at hosp i npticed that there was a lot of older mums so we are not alone!

MrsMarvel Fri 20-Jul-07 23:04:39

Does anyone have any information about the risks of birth defects at different ages - possibly a link.

Also, any information on how biological age affects baby, eg. that you have the physiology of a woman of a younger age (I wish),

I had my first at 42 (2.7yo) and 2nd at 43! (14m). I have accepted now that the jelly belly will never go as my skin just isn't as elastic as it was a few years ago.

I am 45 on Monday and today after a bad night up with teething baby was mistaken for their grandmother

Both times I got really pissed out by people who hardly knew me saying 'and you're having all the tests are you?'. As if they think that you just have the tests for something interesting to do.

We had nuchal both times, I'd decided against amnio with ds1 so mw told me about private nuchal.

mummybear43 Sat 04-Aug-07 08:59:20

Goodness this has given me some hope! I have sadly , had a missed miscarriage nearly 6 weeks ago at 12 weeks. I am 43 and desperately want to try again. My partner is quite a few years younger than me and this will be our first child together if we manage it.

Good luck to you all and thanks for the encouragement.

not quite, but I am 40 with a one and a two year old!

Molly65 Sun 12-Aug-07 18:37:42

Hello,

Sorry to bounce in here. I'd like some help. I've just been away for the weekend and had a letter through the post which tells me I am high-risk for Downs Syndrome. I had a triple test at 15+ weeks which suggested this. Apparently the risk is 1 in 75 and I have been called in with my partner for a talk tomorrow. I gather that an amnio is the likely outcome. Does anyone know anything about them? I was trying to avoid invasive screening. (By the way I am a 42 year-old first-timer.) Any advice would be much appreciated.

lljkk Sun 12-Aug-07 19:05:14

HI all -- I maybe belong on here, I will be 40 when I'm due to have a baby next Feb.

Molly65 You should get counselled about what your test result means, and what the procedure involves. Most people would say that there's not much point in having an amnio unless you think you might want to terminate. The risk of amnio causing a miscarriage is about 1:100 -- less than your risk of a baby with Downs.

If you see having a baby with Downs and having an amnio cause miscarriage as equally bad things, then it makes logical sense to go for the amnio (the lower risk option). That's why they suggest it as a possibility.

But you might see the outcome of miscarriage as much worse than having a Downs baby. There's no easy way forward here, just think about what matters most to you. Nobody can tell you what priorities you should have.

Molly65 Sun 12-Aug-07 21:58:18

Hi,

Thanks for the message lljkk. I feel much stronger for my appointment to discuss things tomorrow. I chatted with a friend who had discussions after a nuchal scan and I now realize what some of my options are and feel armed and ready to meet the medical profession!

All best

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Tue 14-Aug-07 21:14:34

Good luck with everything Molly.

I am 25 weeks now and after hyperemesis,pubic pain,physio,heartburn and bloody knackered 24/7, I now have piles!!!

Grrrrrreat!

wendyredhead Wed 15-Aug-07 19:28:45

lljkk - I would like to thank you in helping me come to my decision on whether or not to have an amnio because your comment to Molly65 re the stats was excellent and I'd not thought of it in that way before. So my risk of a m/c is lower than the risk of a Downs baby. So I'm going to have one and save my money as the nuchal where I live is £125 or £220 with the blood aswell. I can't get it on the NHS.

Thanks a million oh wise one!

wendyredhead Wed 15-Aug-07 19:29:46

have any of you had an amnio? I suppose if I'm going to have one there's no need to have the blood tests is there?

mummybear43 Wed 22-Aug-07 20:18:11

I thought i would say hi too as i have been on a few threads. I am 43, unfortunately had a m/c 8 weeks ago and am still optimistic that we can try again. I have 7 children from my previous marriage and the last pg was def unexpected but such a delightful surprise. My partner is a good few years younger than me and was SO happy at the thought of a baby together after all so though we can never replace our little one, actively ttc is helping. good to meet you all

seeker Wed 22-Aug-07 20:24:28

No, but I was and had ds when I was 44.

Molly65 Thu 23-Aug-07 10:23:10

Hello again,

I got counselled locally and eventually told that I shouldn't have had the triple test as I had already had the nuchal one which gave a 'healthy' probability for Downs. So I decided not to have the amnio. Then I spoke to the hospital in Oxford where I get scanned and hope to have the baby and they confirmed that the consultant obstetrician wouldn't recommend any invasive tests. I think that the choice for everyone must be different. This is my first baby and probably my last so I am influenced by that fact. I have a scan on 6th Sept at 21 weeks, (rather late) so I am hoping for the best for that.

All the best to wendyredhead and chocolate peanut et al.

xxxxxxx

aloha Thu 23-Aug-07 10:24:18

Had my second at 41.

aloha Thu 23-Aug-07 10:26:10

Had nuchal, saw nose bone, fell in love with dd in utero so didn't have planned cvs. She's fab. Well, a bit cross this morning!

Molly65 Thu 30-Aug-07 14:22:34

Hello,

This board has gone a bit quiet. I thought I'd just pipe up with some news. I have been cleaning the house from top to bottom because someone who is a post-natal doula is coming over tomorrow to meet me. (It needed a good clean!) I seemed to have avoided the experience of helping friends and sister with their babies so I'm keen to have someone knowledgeable with me for the first month. Also, I might be able to have some sleep while she is watching the baby.
I didn't think I was going to be able to conceive and got a chocolate labrador puppy in March this year. He has just turned into a teenager and thinks he is the bees knees. Yesterday at dog school he got a terrible telling-off from the teacher! (Should be my job!) Anyway, I conceived a few weeks after collecting him. So things might be quite busy in January when I'm supposed to pop.

Hope things are going well with everyone.

All the best wink

Caroline1852 Thu 30-Aug-07 14:34:31

Molly - Glad to hear things are going well for you. Not long now til your 20 week scan. I had my most recent baby on 16th July (no. 4).

Emmsy Thu 30-Aug-07 15:52:16

Hello every one, I had my first baby 2 months before I was 35 I will be having my 5th Baby when I am 43. I have had one blighted ovum that was picked up at booking in scan at approx 9wks, and I had a miscarriage at 5 & 1/2 wks at the end of April this year, apart from that, no other real problems with being an older "pregnant" mum, People always comment that I'm mad, but when I did'nt have any children they used to say "don't you think it's about time you started a family!" I love being a mum and pray that this pregnancy will be ok! congrats to all who are pregnant and best wishes to all TTC.

Molly65 Sat 01-Sep-07 13:51:27

Congratulations Caroline1852! My scan, at 21 weeks, is on Thursday in Oxford. Finally I can feel the baby move so I'm very happy about it. All the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now