Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Thread 12 TTC#1 Grads. "You are my favourite thing that ever shit all over my hands"

(453 Posts)
AudreyBradshaw Fri 16-Sep-16 22:08:38

Behold, the wonder of birth! Members from 6 weeks bfp to post-partum wonder Mamas! No question to grotty or minging.

We've come full circle from obsessing about cervical mucus to now obsessing if it's our vagina baby plug going! What larks!

Lots of talk about poo, ours and now babies too! Baby brain is REAL! This heat can kiss my arse. And who KNEW being so neurotic about which changing mat to buy could be so satisfying and addictive!

Sooo many gorgeous babies now! And equally lovely Mummy's! We are amazing! What a year! Can you believe it's been a year since our first tentative TTC thread!? Look how far we've come!

Roll up, literally, in my case, cause I'm practically rotund! for TTC #1 Grads!

AudreyBradshaw Fri 16-Sep-16 22:13:33

Starkers, 30. 30+2. Learning the hard way about knitting needle gooch! Watching this baby (possible octopus) wriggle and poke across my bump!

Otherwise a good day with some good news! Dh offered a new job! Got to surround it with some prayer and positive thoughts but got all my fingers crossed it comes to pass! After our recent spate of luck I won't believe it till he goes off on his first day!

PotatosMum Sat 17-Sep-16 01:12:40

Potatoes, 34 for 1 more week with a 4 week old beautiful baby girl called Arya (or hiccup or petal bum)

Stark sending lots of positive vibes for your OHs new job smile

leoniethelioness Sat 17-Sep-16 01:21:13

Leonie, 27, mum to Theodore.

I'm not getting any sleep tonight. BIL and SIL are visiting tomorrow to meet Theo and I've got a morning midwife visit to discharge us. Why did I agree to let BIL arrive for 9 am?

DH got all stressy about Theo not settling so I have sent him to the spare room to sleep. Apparently he's coming to relieve me at 3 am... We think Theo has reflux. He's spit up a lot over the last few days and it even comes out of his nose. DH has raised the head end of his cot. It worked for maybe an hour between ten and eleven but Theo has been up since then.

I'm on my third round of the harp lullaby on my Ewan the Dream Sheep to keep me calm and relaxed. It's lovely.

BunchOfBobs Sat 17-Sep-16 02:07:15

Bunch, 30, mum to 5 week old gorgeous Atticus who is tonight refusing to sleep anywhere other than my chest. DH is snoring away next to me and I'm considering mariticide. He's supposed to help with night wakings of a weekend by doing the settings and windings but the most I've got is "you okay?" followed by an air kiss and straight back to sleep. Ive been in a horrendous mood all day anyhow (which he has been fully aware of as it's been aimed at him) so he's got a lovely morning to look forward to winkI'm doing a spot of internet shopping to get me through the night and he can go suck it.

Yay Stardrey fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and he starts soon, after your run of luck recently you both deserve it.

Leonie I hope Theo settles for you, I've had a total of 1 hour too tonight and fear it's the last. I shouldn't complain. The worst I've had it up to yet is 4 hours so we've had it pretty good to now. Why can't the dads deal with the upset at night I wonder?

Nevlet Sat 17-Sep-16 02:28:02

Nevlet, 26, baby Bodhi is 18 days old! He too is up tonight! Lots of grizzling and poo face but no poos... When it comes it'll be a biggun!!!

IrregularCommentary Sat 17-Sep-16 02:59:42

Irregular, 31, Mum to 6 day old Tamsin.

Another joining the up all night crew!

So, bit of a tough time with Tam right now. She's barely bee

IrregularCommentary Sat 17-Sep-16 03:22:35

Sorry - one handed!

She's barely been feeding the last couple of days. She's been really lazy at it since birth anyway. She will latch and breastfeed, but it sends her to sleep within minutes. We've been doing everything people always say, blowing on her, tickling her feet, stripping her down, changing her nappy etc to wake her up to feed properly, but none of it is working.

Weighing today showed she'd lost too much weight, and she's also a bit jaundiced, which she needs to be eating enough to combat!

So, from this afternoon/evening I've been expressing so I can see how much she's getting, and also make sure she finishes it all.

First time I syringe fed it all as I'm really worried she won't go back to the boob, but that literally took 90mins and just isn't sustainable so the next two (have done 3 in total so far) have been bottle. She still doesn't finish the full thing though so still need to syringe the final few ml.

She's definitely a lot better than she was. Loads more alert and has more energy. We've had a few pooey nappies tonight as well so her system has woken up again.

I don't know quite what my point is really, but it's hard, and I'm really sad that it doesn't look like breastfeeding is going to be a realistic option (even though I know the only important thing is that she's well fed).

BunchOfBobs Sat 17-Sep-16 04:18:30

Irregular being jaundice makes them sleepy so once she's over that she may take to the boob again. Also breastfeeding is feeding kill from the breast, you can still express and feed Tam your milk, and there will be no less bonding as you still get super snuggly with a bottle in hand. You're doing a great job, don't get disheartened flowers

Nev we 're now on day 7 of no poo. It's going to be a shit tsunami!!!

Danni89 Sat 17-Sep-16 04:32:56

Danni, 27, with a 2 week old baby boy Mason.

Been soooo tired, this nonsleep business is really hard. I tend to do the night shift by myself as OH will be working full time from next week and I'd rather him sleep- he does offer to do the old nappy change and help a bit more on weekends though, but as the feeder I might as well just do it myself. Mason is pretty much up and down from 1-6am.

Still trying to persevere with the breastfeeding although it's still hurts me (initial latch) sad

Hope everyone is well, welcome to the newbies too!

IndiX Sat 17-Sep-16 07:22:57

Morning ladies,

Indi
25 y/o
36+3 with a little wriggly girl called Beanie.
Booked in for ELCS on 7th October..20 days to gogrin hoping she stays put until then!

Had major pregsomnia last night, bloody dog barked at 1am and then I couldn't sleep for hours. Going to stay in bed this morning and hoping to get another hour at least.

Sorry to the mummies who have been up all night, I don't know what to say except that I think you're all doing an amazing job and I'm so inspired by all of your posts, even if they aren't always positive. Hopefully babies will settle soon and get in to a slight routine and will take the boob!

Audrey great news about DH's new job! Crossing everything for you that it's the real deal and he can start soon.

Mileymoocow Sat 17-Sep-16 07:33:18

Morning! I'm delirious from lack of sleep so excuse any typos.

Miley
Mummy to 5 day old Harrison who is a little wee machine! He has fed every 3 hours though it has been such a struggle getting him to latch on and suckle. Managed to keep calm, persevere and got it eventually. Had major breakdown yesterday convinced he hated me because all he did was cry and reject my nipple. Hoping for an easier day today.

He's wet through his nappy, vest, sleepsuit and bedsheets twice in one night. I don't think it's normal...

Audrey that is really brilliant news about your DHs new job! I'm so pleased things are looking up

LisaTheSimpson Sat 17-Sep-16 07:35:27

Lisa, 29
37+5, and probably being induced in next week or so

Many thanks Miley, Bunch, and Potato! I guess I'll know more about today's appointment.

Bunch, you're right, bile acids make so much more sense! I've been reading up about OC, which has been really helpful. I haven't had itching (though I now think I do, but I think it's psychosomatic!), which is useful.

Happy four weeks old, Arya! Potato, it's lovely to hear how she's developing and what she likes. She sounds so alert and interested in the world.

Stardrey, thanks for the new thread. Love that you might have a potential octopus. Congrats to your DP on the (fingers crossed) new job!

Nevlet Sat 17-Sep-16 08:46:26

Bunch bloody hell 7 days! Good luck with that poo when it comes!

Miley absolutely normal yesterday afternoon Bodhi was doing such giant leaky wees that I was down to last long sleeved babygrow as we went through so many!

Pyxie Sat 17-Sep-16 08:57:48

Morning all,

Pyxie, 29, 33 weeks (feeling like 333 weeks!) with 'Sprout'

Great news on DH's new job Audrey!

Loving reading about all the babies, sorry so many of you seem to have had a rough night though.

leoniethelioness Sat 17-Sep-16 09:07:05

Irregular This doesn't mean you can't breastfeed. Theo had top ups of EBM for the first 2.5 weeks of his life. I expressed around 8 times a day, put Theo to the breast most feeds and then offered him a bottle afterwards. It helped a lot with his jaundice and weight gain. He was too tired to breastfeed initially so would only manage about 5 minutes at the breast. Now he manages about 15 regularly and sometimes up to 25 or 30 minutes and we don't top him up unless he has had a really half-hearted feed. It really is just the jaundice and immaturity that are the problems and these things get better. It's awful if you are in the breast bottle expressing cycle but achievable with support.

I recommend Mam bottles.

Co5mo Sat 17-Sep-16 09:24:19

Co5mo, 35, 36+2 with a boy who now seems to get upset by his hiccups and kicks the life out of me if they go on for any longer than a minure or so.

Major pregsomnia here too. DH and I have only spent 2 full nights in the same bed in the last week. I miss him when we're not in together but feel so guilty for keeping him awake with all my wriggling.

PotatosMum Sat 17-Sep-16 09:38:11

Sorry for all of those failing to sleep last night.

Irregular hope you get the feeding sorted. If breast doesn't work out then you can bond really well bottle feeding. Arya and I have lots of eye contact, kisses and singing while she feeds and we seem to have bonded just fine. There's also the advantage that dads can feed and get that bond too.

Miley what type of nappies are you using? If they're disposable are you running your finger around the inside of each leg after putting it on to make sure the seal is in the right place? Also are you aiming his willy down into the nappy, not up?
If the answer is yes to all I'd try a different nappy brand. Babies do wee a lot! Sometimes I take Arya's nappy off and can't believe how heavy it is.

Lisa good luck for your appointment.

Off out to get some more "in between" clothes. My maternity clothes now look like shit on me but I'm a size 18 where I'm normally a 12 to 14 so I need some clothes to tide me over. I can't wait until my BP is back to normal so I can start the couch to 5k again. I have a feeling it will be rather a struggle post baby but I need to lose the weight as hopefully will be getting married next year although I did suggest to OH that we get officially engaged as my birthday present and he informed me that he's not going to do it when he's prompted to confused I thought we were just going to decide a time and buy a ring, I didn't thing we were doing the whole him actually officially asking thing confused

Janubub Sat 17-Sep-16 10:06:26

Janu - 23w and utterly unprepared.
When did you all start buying "baby stuff"?

IndiX Sat 17-Sep-16 10:45:01

Cosmo my DH was in the spare room last night too and now he's away with work until tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a proper sleep tonight.

Potato that's sweet that OH wants to do the proposal the 'proper' way. I'm sure wants you get in to a routine you'll be able to focus on your fitness again.

Janu i think we ordered the nursery furniture around 24w and then the nursery was decorated and finished by 30ish weeks. We've just bought things as we've gone along. You still have a while so don't worry, we bought the furniture quite early as it was on sale and it was the nicest set we'd seen. I'm still buying the odd bits now.

Breastfeeding sounds hard work, Emotionally and physically! Hope you're all ok.
I'm going to go to the gym soon, do a quick workout then have a day pottering around the house and sorting washing out etc. I'm home alone today so will keep myself busy doing housework and may even give myself a little spa night while watching X factor tonight smile

Pinklily1 Sat 17-Sep-16 11:18:42

Morning

So, pink, mummy to 10 day old Evelyn, who is currently a little poo machine shock She is sleeping in about four hour blocks at night which I can't complain about.

Welcome to any newbies I have missed over the past few days.

stardrey, thanks for the new thread, and fingers crossed for your OH's new job.

Re help from partners, I was very tempted to suffocate OH last night when he was dead to the world and snoring like a walrus and I had been up from 3am-5.30am dealing wth a windy baby and multiple poonami's hmmI do all the night feeds during the week given OH has to go to work, but he helps when he gets home. He also had Evelyn for a few hours last night so I could catch up on sleep, but he was treading a thin line at 3am!

I think we are making a break through with breastfeeding. My boobs are feeling a lot heavier and have started leaking, which they haven't done before, so I figure that means more milk is coming in smileEvelyn is taking less formula so that's got to be a good sign.

The hospital midwife suggested expressing as apparently it stimulates milk production. She also only agreed to discharge us on the condition we would top breast feeds up with formula if Evelyn seemed to still be hungry afterwards, to make sure she is getting enough. It's so hard to know what to do for the best though as there is lots of different advice around but I think we are getting there.

shelbTa Sat 17-Sep-16 11:20:42

Thanks stark.

Shelb, 34, typing one handed as mum to little love Evelyn who 3 weeks old on Monday.

Bunch - laughed at your comment from oh 'are you ok'! I get that!

X

Co5mo Sat 17-Sep-16 12:40:52

Potato it sounds like your OH wants you both to have that moment. That's lovely.

Janu I started buying after 20 weeks. Finally finished the nursery just over a week ago.

Aldi have a baby event on starting on the 22nd Sept. Nappies, towels, bottles, etc.

Janubub Sat 17-Sep-16 12:50:05

Indi - finsihed at 30w?! We still have to clear all of the junk furniture out of the room we plan to use as the baby's room.

Co5mo thanks for the tip on the Aldi event

I'm planning to bf - do I bother getting some bottles if it doesn't work out, or just assume it will (until it doesn't!)?

I had a quick look in John Lewis and Mothercare at baby towels. They are cute but all seem really thin, so DH and I planned to get some nice fluffy new towels for ourselves and use our existing towels which are much thicker. Any downsides to doing so? A large hand towel looks big enough for the first month or so and then we can go to bath towels/bath sheets (I love a big towel). Downside seems to be no amusing animal hood. Am I being totally unrealistic here, or does this sound genuinely sensible??

BunchOfBobs Sat 17-Sep-16 13:11:42

Jan the hood corns in really handy as baby's head can cool off quite quickly, but I wouldn't say it's worth the extra cost if you don't need to spend it. We were bought a cuddledry and it's amazing, lovely and soft and Atticus loves it. He cries when taken out of the bath but as soon as he's wrapped up in it he's content again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now