Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and breastfeeding? Come and chat!

(21 Posts)
TheOracleAtSelfie Thu 15-Sep-16 08:21:00

Hello! As the title suggests I'm pregnant (around 6 weeks with DC2) and still BF DD who is 17 months. I would really like to keep BF throughout and eventually tandem feed, but not sure what to expect.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

lullaby23 Mon 19-Sep-16 11:09:22

Hi Oracle just found this thread and joining you! Very similar to you BFing DS 16m, 4+3, weeks, no idea about tandem feeding yet I'm not against it but wondering if it will be logistically tricky. Maybe it will all dry up before then anyway!

Pumkinpie1 Tue 27-Sep-16 11:59:03

Hey guys can I join ? not breastfeeding any more but thought it might be nice to continue chatting through our journey ?
How far is everyone now ?

LorrieJ Tue 27-Sep-16 21:07:47

Very early days as only just found out about #2. My DD is three. I had reached the point were I was about to wean her as I have been getting serious aversion when AF was due. But hey ho! Don't need to worry about that for a while hopefully!
L

lullaby23 Wed 28-Sep-16 05:42:07

Hi Lorrie congrats on your pregnancy! What's your due date?

What symptoms are you all suffering from? I was feeling sick around the time I got my BFP but I think that was because I was getting over a nasty tummy bug and feeling ok now. Last time nausea started at 6 weeks so will see if it's the same this time! I have been feeling so ridiculously tired, going to bed early and fine in the morning but by afternoon ready to join DS for a nap and struggling to get much done around the house.

Also starting to get sensitivity when DS feeds, ouch! He is teething and I can feel bumps where his molars will come through so hope my milk doesn't dry up yet as BF will be helpful I think!

bogginsthedog Wed 28-Sep-16 06:40:46

Congrats everyone!

I'm still breastfeeding my nearly 11m old and am around 7 weeks (I think- thought breastfeeding was still working as a contraception and haven't had a period since dd blush).
My nipples hurt quite a bit, she's teething so having quite a few nightfeeds at the moment and I am fucking STARVING, my tummy feels rumbly constantly, don't remember this with her and I'm sure it's cos I'm breastfeeding aswell as creating a human life in there grin

I always intended to bf dd as long as she wanted so hopefully being pregnant doesn't affect that.

FoxMulder Wed 28-Sep-16 09:31:55

Hello! I'm bf ds 2.5 and 7 weeks pg. I'm really sick so it's a bit of an ordeal atm which makes me quite sad as previously I loved bf.

lullaby23 Wed 28-Sep-16 09:32:32

Hi boggins congratulations! oh so you caught the first egg without getting AF I'm impressed! You must be super fertile! How do you feel about having quite a small gap between your DC?

The hunger hasn't hit me yet but I tempted fate saying I wasn't feeling sick yet, currently trying to drink some ginger tea and trying to play with DS sad I am not usually a breakfast person but last time I had to have toast or cream crackers to get through the day! 11 months is still quite little too is she feeding lots? We are mostly down to 2 a day.

lullaby23 Wed 28-Sep-16 09:36:57

X-post with you fox congrats too and sorry you're feeling so sick. Is the BF making you feel worse?

Pumkinpie1 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:18:42

Hey Lorrie congrats that's great u don't have to worry bout weaning now.
Feel for you fox and lullaby sickness is the worst !
You must be really fertile bog! Congrats. Yeah u will have double whammy of hunger BF and pregnancy.
I'm having a bit of mild nausea, nothing that's causing a problem but the headaches are really horrid been having them since day 26 of my cycle.

HughLauriesStubble Wed 28-Sep-16 18:43:14

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and my 19 month old daughter has completely weaned in the last few days sad She had been having 3 good feeds a day when I got pregnant but my milk has been gone for the last 8 weeks so I'm not surprised she has weaned tbh. It's happy and sad all at the same time. She's still waking once in the night but will only take a few sips of water hmm If she was younger I would have definitely kept pushing the dry nursing though.

lullaby23 Thu 29-Sep-16 04:35:44

Aww hugh that's a shame but it doesn't sound like she is distressed? 19 months is an amazing length to have fed her flowers

FoxMulder Thu 29-Sep-16 10:13:52

No, I don't think it's making me feel worse lullaby I actually find it quite relaxing. As long as he doesn't take too long! But he's pretty good about stopping when I ask him too. Night feeds are a bit knackering though. I wonder if he will wean.

AngelBlue12 Thu 29-Sep-16 10:18:04

I'm 16 weeks and still bf 23 month old, getting sore when she latches on as she isn't always careful about her teeth confused

I kinda hope she stops soon tbh!

LorrieJ Thu 29-Sep-16 15:16:35

Hi again. No I suppose I don't need to worry about weaning, just the overly sensitive nipples for now!
I'm due early June but likely to have an elective section, so looking at the end of May. The nausea and dizzyness has started this morning (4+3) which is a bit earlier than with DD (5+something). Deep joy!
I'm glad we're done teething here. Hopefully he won't suffer too much Lullaby.
How do you highlight people's names on here?
L

Pumkinpie1 Thu 29-Sep-16 16:40:08

Hi Lorrie I too will prob have an elective c section ( due to problems with first birth)
Do you know how that all works cos I have no idea?
Sorry bout the dizziness n nausea !
To get bold tap the T n then the B.

That's some good going angel

Is any body going to find out the sex ?

lullaby23 Fri 30-Sep-16 07:46:15

I wish DS would still feed lying down fox as it would be a nice rest but he's way too wiggly!

Ouch angel you have my sympathies, getting more sensitive here too and very lazy latching.

pumkin I think in the UK you will need to tell your midwife and they should refer you to a doctor. Read up on the NICE guidelines regarding your right to request an ELCS, if you had a traumatic first birth I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult.

I will most likely be having another ELCS (last time I had one as overdue and declined an induction as it's my worst nightmare!) and having the Harmony NIPT so will find out the sex ASAP I am no good with surprises!

Pumkinpie1 Fri 30-Sep-16 08:24:00

I will have a read, can't stand the thought of an emergency c section again was awful
What's the harmony NIPT? Lullaby

I can't decide if too or not we didn't with our daughter but it's a bit different with the second hmm

lullaby23 Fri 30-Sep-16 08:45:17

Oh no poor you, well if you had a emergency CS last time it should be even easier for you to request an elective this time.

It's a blood test they take where they can detect the foetus's DNA so can determine the likelihood of certain chromosomal abnormalities and they can also tell the sex as a result (see www.fetalmedicine.com/harmony-test) I think it's only available privately at home.

Cel982 Fri 30-Sep-16 09:35:41

Hi all, can I join you? Currently 7 weeks pregnant with DC2 and still feeding my almost-three-year-old. She had been feeding once or twice at night with a few quick feeds during the day, but since about 5 weeks she has pretty much dropped the day feeds and instead is latched on almost constantly throughout the night. I'm hardly getting any sleep and really starting to struggle with it. DH is great, but he works full-time and has exams coming up in a couple of weeks so I don't want to ask him to take over the nights just yet. Am hoping my milk will dry up and she'll self-wean over the next couple of months!

Pumkinpie1 Fri 30-Sep-16 19:05:56

That test sounds good lullaby I will look into it.
Hi cel sounds like your having a tough time, Good to have u aboard !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now