Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Late December - Early January '17 Babies

(918 Posts)
GerberaDaisy Fri 22-Apr-16 20:28:31

Hello,

So couldn't see a January baby post (probably because no one is mad enough to POAS as early as me!)

Anyway, I thought I would start one (waves). I am 28, this will be DC#2 making my 4 year old DS a big brother which he has been so excited about becoming (we haven't told him yet though as very early days!) I am roughly around 4 weeks and we're not planning on telling anyone for ages so thought I would start a thread so I have someone to get excited with!

Please come and say hello! Xx

stealthbanana Fri 22-Apr-16 20:51:28

Hello! And congrats! Very very cautiously marking my place. If all goes well my due date will be 31 December. It's my first pregnancy and the outcome of my first round of IVF; as a result I'm well aware of everything that can go wrong.

BUT, but but - am also allowing myself to be a teeny bit excited by the idea that this might work. Eeek!

When do you think you are due? X

GerberaDaisy Fri 22-Apr-16 20:53:28

Yay!! Congratulations! Positive thoughts coming your way :-) I think I am due 1st January but I know only too well that babies will turn up when they please so I am saying January ha ha! Great to have a buddy xx

stealthbanana Fri 22-Apr-16 21:33:18

You too! I've never done this before so it's all a bit of a mystery to me. Will probably wait until I've got a bit further before I start trying to wrap my head around the logistics of it all. (At the moment have this irrational thought that all the doctors will be away for Christmas! Stupid!) x

GerberaDaisy Fri 22-Apr-16 22:48:15

I can categorically say that there will be doctors working whatever day! (I'm a midwife!) he he xx

ZylaB Sat 23-Apr-16 07:46:10

Hi, marking a place very cautiously. I think I'd be due 3rd Jan, so my period isn't even later yet but I've had positives on 3 early response tests from Superdrug smile. For me this will mean a baby in December and hopefully not before (I'm type 1 diabetic so won't be allowed to go full term and Wil my DD, who is 14 months, I had preeclampsia and she was delivered at 36 weeks so a December baby is likely!)
Because I'm diabetic I've already called the hospital who are arranging my first appointment and scan for about 3 weeks time!
Congratulations to you both smile

ZylaB Sat 23-Apr-16 07:48:04

*period isn't even late
*with my DD

pinkfluffybunny Sat 23-Apr-16 07:54:19

Morning! Can I join in? We got our BFP a couple of days ago, I will be due around 1st January, but will be a December baby as I'll be having a c-section. This is our 4th baby. We are so excited. Congratulations to everyone else.

GerberaDaisy Sat 23-Apr-16 09:56:27

Hello Zyla and Fluffy! And congratulations to you guys. Woohoo! I'm so glad we have buddies. When are you guys telling people? I remember telling my family around 6 weeks but it wasn't common knowledge until 12 weeks. But for some reason I am really happy to keep it my little secret this time ha ha! Xx

GerberaDaisy Sat 23-Apr-16 09:57:36

That should say with my DS. God I am all over the place already. Barely had any sleep in the last few days - anyone else having crazy vivid dreams? Xx

pinkfluffybunny Sat 23-Apr-16 10:21:32

Like you, we are happy to keep this baby a little secret to ourselves for a long while. This will be our last baby, and so we want to cherish it for as long as possible. If I can get away with it, maybe even to the 20 week scan (obviously not our parents and siblings) unless I get huge and start showing early which is possible as I can't stop eating.
Got a night out tonight, and I'm dreading the 'why aren't you drinking comments'.

lilydaisyrose Sat 23-Apr-16 10:24:45

Congratulations everyone! I'm not in this thread as I'm 6+6 now and due 11/12, but just wanted to say congratulations!

pinkfluffybunny Sat 23-Apr-16 11:54:35

Thanks lily, it's so exciting.

stealthbanana Sat 23-Apr-16 12:02:49

hi everyone! Ooh how exciting! Hopefully everything goes really well for us all x

ZylaB Sat 23-Apr-16 13:31:06

We will probably have to tell people in the next week or so as I'll need my mum to come to my hospital appointments with me to look after DD.

GerberaDaisy Sat 23-Apr-16 15:24:34

I must admit Fluffy we were hoping to keep it until after 20 week scan but I don't think that will be possible from remembering me with my son! Xx

stealthbanana Sat 23-Apr-16 16:57:49

One of the silver linings of IVF is that I was able to have all my embryos frozen and fully tested for chromosomal abnormalities before I had one transferred so I am sure that my little ball of cells on board has all the right number of chromosomes. So the miscarriage risk is only around my uterus sustaining a pregnancy and there's basically zero chance of the cvs not coming back normal. So we'll tell our parents as soon as we have a confirmation via blood test (which will happen on Monday) and start telling others on a need to know basis when we have an early scan and hear a heartbeat, which will be around 6+5.

pinkfluffybunny Sat 23-Apr-16 17:38:23

Ha ha ha, it's unlikely for me too Gerbera!!! But we will try!
Stealth, that's lovely that you have your mind at ease regarding all the testing. That's a very good position to be in.

GerberaDaisy Sat 23-Apr-16 21:56:15

That is good stealth! Strange question but do you know what gender the embryos were? I know the logistics of IVF but nothing in depth. Are you ok with answering questions? (I have a thirst for knowledge!) how many embryos do they place each time? Xx

ivymummy Sun 24-Apr-16 07:16:49

Fist time poster here, can I join please just got my bfp and am due around 29th of Dec. Unplanned as I have dd 3 and dd 6 months.

flyawayblue Sun 24-Apr-16 08:17:35

Hello,

I'm popping in with a hopeful edd of 31/12/16. Been trying for nearly a year and have a dd who is 2.

Congratulations to others in the thread smile

stealthbanana Sun 24-Apr-16 08:19:24

Yes am very happy to answer questions! IVF is such a mystery land I'm pleased to be able to report back from the other side grin

In terms of PGS, I had a fairly new version called arrayCGH testing that looks at every single pair of chromosomes - including the X and X/Y sex chromosomes - to check there are the normal amount there. So you can't do the test without knowing - HOWEVER, it's illegal to report the sex in the UK, so whilst my embryologist knows, no I don't know. If I had this test done in the U.S., I would know - which is kind of mind blowing! PGS was well worth doing for me as I was quite unusual and made a LOT of embryos. I had 20 embryos frozen and only 10 of them passed PGS testing, which is a perfectly normal success rate for my age (34) but you can see it might have led to a lot of heartache (and additional expense) if they'd accidentally picked a few abnormal ones to transfer back first as none of them would have survived (either failed to implant or miscarried). It's one of the downsides of IVF that, in the absence of PGS, the way they determine which embryo is the "best" is to visually inspect them under the microscope, and unfortunately there is not a correlation with an embryo "looking good" and it being normal. So some people believe PGS will become standard for IVF within a couple of years.

Re transferring back. In the UK, if you are under 38, it's your first transfer, and you have a "good quality" embryo that has made it to blastocyst stage (this means it has been in a dish for 5 days and is a more complex cell mass) the guidance is to put back only one, and in fact you have to sign a medical waiver if you transfer 2 as weirdly your chances of falling pregnant only go up by a few percent if you transfer two but if you DO get pregnant you have a 50% chance of twins shock. I had the added bonus of the PGS testing so there was no way I was transferring any more than 1!! But if you are older, have had failed transfers or the embryos aren't such good quality they will transfer two or sometimes even three!!

Whew that was an essay - sorry!

ivy welcome and congratulations!

stealthbanana Sun 24-Apr-16 08:19:58

Ooh and congrats fly too!

pinkfluffybunny Sun 24-Apr-16 09:18:36

Wow! Stealth, that is amazing. Very interesting. Thank you for posting that.
Hi fly, and Ivy, congratulations!
Right, time for the TMI questions. Are any of you ladies 'loose'? I was constipated, and now I'm loose!! Also, increased CM is one of the signs of pregnancy, but I've never had it in any of my pregnancies, does any one else not have any? One last thing, I've had positives on tonnes of test, and digital tests included, but my IC tests are still mega faint, to the point of doubting if there's anything there! Are the IC really that rubbish?
Is anyone feeling sick or being sick yet? I've got nothing, although I didn't have it in any of my other pregnancies, so I guess I'm just lucky!

DerelictMyBalls Sun 24-Apr-16 10:32:58

Congratulations everyone. I will very cautiously join you. I have had 3 early losses in the last 18 months and am feeling very anxious about my BFP. If it works out, my due date will be 1/3/17. I have a DS aged 6. I'm testing positive but the lines are quite faint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now