Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

7 weeks and severe anxiety

(6 Posts)
Northernlights123 Sun 03-Apr-16 15:26:55

I'm 38 and in new relationship (6 months- very supportive boyfriend) and pregnant. I've always wanted kids but now it's happening I'm terrified and suffering from really bad anxiety. Can't even pin point what's causing the anxiety - it's everything. Can't see the light and this heaviness is unbearable. I have had short episodes of anxiety before and have had medication.
Feel reluctant to take drugs although I know they would help.
Anyone else going through this and how are you coping?

MattDillonsPants Mon 04-Apr-16 05:30:54

Feeling down or anxious when pregnant is quite common...it's awful for you because obviously you also have physical changes to worry about.

You need to speak to your midwife if you have one or to your GP if you don't. They know exactly what to do to help you...don't get ahead of yourself thinking about medication yet....

Are you working? Have you time to maybe attend some yoga classes?

Northernlights123 Mon 04-Apr-16 15:33:09

Thank you so much for your response.
I am off work on holiday this week but back next week- it will probably help being busy I think. Have made doc appt for Wednesday as my first Mw appt not until next week and feel a bit desperate to get help.
Will look into local yoga classes as I'm sure relaxation will help.
X

MeDownSouth Sat 09-Apr-16 10:01:48

Hi Northern,

Baby #1 here and OH is awesome but I was still freaking out and anxious, I think that's normal. I told my boss as the doctor took me off my anti-anxiety meds and reduced my anti-depressants and she has been wavering between supportive and pressuring me to tell people as it'll be easier for her.
The GP I met made me more anxious but the midwife was lovely. She really put my mind at ease (comparatively) and I've been referred to a mental health midwife. They seem to be supportive so please try not to get too overwhelmed thinking of your feelings. I know it's hard but they do seem to understand that some of us feel good and some of feel like we're struggling.
I'm now around 13weeks and I have to say having the scan helped a lot. Until then I was worrying about everything but seeing a tiny person wriggling round made me feel better in some respects. (I'll admit when I got home I went from hysterical giggling to tears to I can't do this and back again, it scared the crap out of me). I also found reading through the forum here helped and I've now joined smile
Please talk to your lovely boyfriend and let him support you - even if it is just with surprise chocolate and cuddles.

Good luck with your appointments xx

Feefeefs Mon 25-Apr-16 16:20:37

Totally with you on this. Hyper anxious and I think the hibernating/feeling like I'm lying to people is compounding that .

I had an early private scan not reassuring they think too early and dates are wrong have another in three weeks. This has really ramped up my anxiety so I'm not totally sure I would recommend them! Also mine was quite cheap so I don't think cheapest is nessecarily the way to go if you go down that route as all a it rushed

Feefeefs Mon 25-Apr-16 16:21:53

Sorry I think I posted in the wrong thread have been reading too many this morning trying to reassure myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now