Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are NCT classes worth the money

(7 Posts)
scarletribbonsforherhair Sat 05-Mar-16 07:35:52

I've been in two minds for a while now as whether to book myself into an NCT course, are they really worth the money? Am I starting off as a bad parent already by not taking a class? I can't help but think the money could be put to better use.
Anyone out there been on a course?
All advice very welcome.

JellyBaby26 Sat 05-Mar-16 19:19:20

By not going doesn't make you a bad parent at all!!

They are worth the money if you want to have friends in the same position. Our group has since split in half but at the beginning was priceless. Whatsapps at 3am etc and support when you really need it.

I learnt nothing but I had read a lot prior to going.

I would recommend on the friend fact alone.

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Sat 05-Mar-16 19:28:02

You will probably learn nothing that you couldn't find easily in a half decent pregnancy book or from the Internet.

But you will meet other couples who live locally and will have babies the same age as yours.

Personally, yes, I feel it was worth it on balance. My group really bonded and were my lifeline those first few months. But my sister didn't gel with any of her group at all and feels NCT classes were a huge waste of cash as she didn't learn anything new (she's a medical professional) and didn't make any friends either!

Whatdoidohelp Sat 05-Mar-16 19:44:02

If you want to make friends - totally worth it.

If you want to learn anything useful - don't bother.

SingSongSlummy Sat 05-Mar-16 19:46:50

Our group are still really close 6 years on and we've supported each other in all kinds of ways through some big stuff over the years. I was also in two minds prior to signing up but now I'm so glad that I did!

Nicknamegrief Sat 05-Mar-16 19:48:43

Can't comment on the classes but I just went along to the local NCT baby mornings (didn't have to be a member but they did ask for a donation for drinks) and made friends/met people that way.

KitKat1985 Sat 02-Apr-16 12:21:55

I agree with others on here. I did NCT antenatal courses about 2 years ago when pregnant with DD. I can't honestly say we covered anything that I hadn't already read either on Mumsnet / a good pregnancy book. However, our NCT group bonded pretty well and several of us still meet up now. So it's worth it if you want to make some new friends with other parents with children the same sort of age. However, there are obviously other baby groups where you can go to meet other parents, so it's kind of up to you to decide if the cost is worth it or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now