Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

should we breastfeed or bottle feed ?

(20 Posts)
sharoz Fri 08-Jan-16 02:15:35

I am wondering what is best
Breast feeding or Bottle feeding ?
Does anyone have any opinions on this as there is so much conflicting advice out there

lilwelshyrs Fri 08-Jan-16 02:29:34

In my limited experience, my understanding is breast is always best.

However, it's also personal preference. If you don't want to breast feed then that's fine. But if you can, I would. The benefits of breastfeeding outweigh formula feeding - especially if you have the choice.
Some women can't breastfeed for many different reasons. So formula feeding is, of course, best for them.

You can also do combination feeding if you wanted - where you breastfeed AND formula feed.
Or you might just want to breast feed for as long as possible and then if/when you go back to work, you formula feed. Or you can continue to feed breast milk by expressing into bottles.

HTH

zeeka Tue 12-Jan-16 21:18:30

I would recommend breastfeeding. If you are planning to do it, try to read about any possible problems/early difficulties so you have some solutions at hand. It's not easy for the first few weeks, but worth it! Obviously it's your choice, and you can also combination feed later on too smile

Diddlydokey Tue 12-Jan-16 21:20:57

However you want. Both have benefits - as long as mum and baby are happy both feed and nourish the baby until they're ready for food.

TheABC Tue 12-Jan-16 21:32:58

Another pro choice here. From a selfish viewpoint, I enjoyed breastfeeding as I could just roll over at night and stuff a nipple in my baby's mouth (we practised safe cosleeping). I also went down two dress sizes on my pre-pregnancy body during the year I did it.

Sighing Wed 03-Feb-16 09:38:10

Think about your lifestyle / convenience. It is actually not a hard and fast either or option as many countries mixed feeding is normal.

BelfastSmile Wed 03-Feb-16 09:45:49

No. Nobody has opinions on this AT ALL wink

Seriously, I'd advise anyone to give breastfeeding a go if they can and want to. But don't drive yourself into oblivion over it. Yes, in terms of baby's health, it's the best you can do, but I don't think it's as important as giving your baby a mum who's calm (ish), enjoying her baby, and happy.

Bf does take some perseverance in the first few days and weeks, but after that it's easier than faffing about with bottles etc. On the other hand, no one can take over from you if you're tired; on the other hand again, if you have a partner around, you can tell him that as you're dealing with "input", he can do " output".

Like most things in parenting, it's about figuring out what works best for you and your baby.

zeeka Fri 12-Feb-16 14:23:01

belfast I like your input/output philosophy smile

villainousbroodmare Fri 12-Feb-16 14:29:22

For me, it was easy (or became so after a few weeks) and very convenient and cuddly. I can go out for hours with DS and just bring a nappy in my handbag.

originalusernamefail Fri 12-Feb-16 14:30:06

Breast is best.
Formula is fine.

I'm currently expressing as DS was sleepy at birth and wouldn't take the breast. I find this to be the shitty end of both sticks as you have all the faff of FF (sterilising/ storage etc) and the expressing enough to maintain supply is fairly punishing tbh.

shutupandshop Fri 12-Feb-16 14:31:30

Try bf if it doesnt work out formula.

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 12-Feb-16 14:33:26

It is your choice, no one else's.

I don't see any conflicting advice out there - it seems clear to me that, assuming you have no problems or can resolve any you encounter, breastfeeding is better for the baby and for you than formula feeding. There are no advantages for the baby with formula feeding, only additional risks (fairly minor in the UK assuming you follow guidance on safe formula feeding), and things that the baby won't be getting from formula that are in breastmilk.

The thing with breastfeeding that can be hard is that all the feeding is down to you rather than your partner, certainly in the early days. But if you bear that in mind it is doable, assuming your partner is supportive and does other things instead so that you can concentrate on feeding. It can be painful to begin with, and uncomfortable whilst you're getting used to it. But a lot of women find that once they've got the hang of it, it becomes very straightforward. Your baby can be fed immediately with no prep, and without needing to be organised.

Chelsea26 Fri 12-Feb-16 14:45:17

I had no desire to breastfeed, I didn't like the thought of it, I wanted my DH to be able to nourish his child, I wanted to be able to take a night off if I needed one, and I knew I would prefer to know that DS has had x ounces at X time and that would make me relax more.

I have 2 strapping sons now and they are for and healthy and wonderful. We have an amazing bond and I am certain it was because I was relaxed and happy from the off.

Do whatever you want to do

LaurieLemons Fri 12-Feb-16 14:49:17

The only difference nutritionally is that breast milk has antibodies in which help protect your baby from some illnesses. It's also much more convinient, no faff about with bottles.

On the other hand, you can't have a break from more than a few hours and have to do all the night feeds. If you're planning to return to work you'll probably have to give it up at some point.

I'd advise you to try breastfeeding (it's most important in the first few weeks) but don't beat yourself up if it's not for you, it's really not the end of the world! And remember you can always mix feed if you need a break.

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 12-Feb-16 14:57:46

LaurieLemons, that's not strictly true. Breastmilk has antimicrobial factors, growth factors, hormones, anti-inflammatory factors and so on that formula does not and cannot contain.

Also, if you go back to work, you can continue to breastfeed, alongside formula if needed, if you choose to. This is easier the later you return to work.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:21:49

I would recommend breast feeding.

I have / am breasting my 5 months old son and will baby number 2 that's due in August

RiverTam Mon 22-Feb-16 16:25:56

Compared directly breast milk is better, but that's not to say there's anything wrong with formula. I would suggest trying breastfeeding first and see how you go. Btw, this is really your decision (your thread title says 'we'). If your DP wants to feed the baby you could always trying expressing or do mixed feeding. But there's loads that dads can do to support and nourish their DC. I couldn't have successfully breastfed without DH's continual support, both practically and emotionally.

randomsabreuse Mon 22-Feb-16 17:04:05

Bf here but just starting formula as a babysitting option. BF so much easier - available instantly, perfect temperature nothing to forget on a day out but only if it works for you.

Madelinehatter Mon 22-Feb-16 17:20:49

OP I am sure you posted in all innocence but honestly......this could get interesting!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cel982 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:30:40

Your baby's natural instinct will be to feed at the breast, with a food that is tailor-made for him/her. Unless you've a good reason not to do that, I think you should. Read up about it and find out what sources of support are available to you locally, as sometimes the first few weeks can be tricky.
Breastfeeding is about a lot more than food - it's a huge part of my mothering and I wouldn't like to be without it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now