Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2016 babies - 20-week scans, growing bumps and little kicks!

(588 Posts)
suffolkblonde29 Wed 02-Dec-15 17:30:02

Hi all,

I've started a new thread to take us up to the third trimester.

Hope you are all feeling well. I feel like my bump is a little small and I'm not feeling lots of movement (but this may be due to an anterior placenta). Got my 20-week scan tomorrow so not long to wait to see if everything's ok - it's actually nearly 22 weeks though as baby really wasn't playing ball when we went last week and was hiding with its back to the scanner.

Getting excited that I'm halfway there though...

ComeLuckyApril Wed 02-Dec-15 18:55:58

Thanks for starting the new thread! I have to have a repeat scan too, in just over a week.

The midwife booked my GTT test last time I saw her, for January 6th. Ugh! It sounds unpleasant and time consuming. I think I'll be bringing my partner as he gets time off for antenatal appointments, but it sounds like there is a lot of sitting around. Anyone else got to do one of these?

I'm missing having Christmas drinks, but I've been drinking this hot and it tastes a lot like mulled wine: www.bottlegreendrinks.com/products/cordials/bottlegreen-cordials/spiced-berry.

pingoose Wed 02-Dec-15 19:38:58

Thanks suffolkblonde! Nothing exciting to report here, I have my 20 week scan on Monday, so I'm looking forward to that.

Also missing having Christmas drinks. I've been sticking to soda water, which is very depressing!

suffolkblonde29 Wed 02-Dec-15 20:06:38

Good luck with your scans! I have low platelets apparently, so got a hospital appointment about that as well as the scan tomorrow, but it doesn't sound too worrying.

Apart from that my main pregnancy niggles are a bit of heartburn, a bad back sometimes when I'm asleep and lots of middle-of-the-night trips to the loo!

Still find it hard to believe there's really a baby in there as my bump is still pretty small.

I'm also struggling with the lack of booze as I really enjoyed a few glasses of prosecco before I got pregnant. The best drink I've found so far is beck's blue mixed with a little bit of low sugar raspberry syrup (by Tesseire) which I found in tesco - reminds me of the fruit beer you get in France.

MazzleDazzle Wed 02-Dec-15 20:29:18

suffolkblonde my scan is tomorrow too and I'm also nearly 22 weeks! When's your due date?

This is my third and my bump is huge! Fairly sure I was still able to hide it at this stage with my last 2.

I'm missing alcohol too, especially a tall glass of something fizzy!

Comelucky I'm also having that test too. Apparently you have to wait around for two hours. I'm planning on taking a pile of paperwork!

Oopsnumber3 Wed 02-Dec-15 20:35:03

I'll have the GTT too April. It is boring but I prefer to go on my own...a bored DH is too annoying! I take craft projects with me (knitting or sewing) and a good book!

suffolkblonde29 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:07:20

MazzleDazzle I'm due 9th April - wonder if they'll change the due date after the scan though? Good luck for tomorrow!

PurplePoppy17 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:17:14

I had my 20 week scan today, I'm 21+6 the midwife was very miserable, she didn't smile much which kind of ruined our experience a bit. The last one we had she was really nice happy and cheerful. Baby is looking good, very wriggling for the scan though, but good fun to watch her wriggle about inside. We found out by private scan at 18 weeks and haven't told anyone yet... It's so exciting.think we will just keep it to ourselves. smile what's GTT? Or am I supposed to know that already? Worried confused. Anyone else die the 14th April?

MazzleDazzle Wed 02-Dec-15 22:29:15

We've the same due date suffolk! However, I'm booked in for a c-section on the 1st April.

It's very disappointing when they're like that isn't it Purple? This is my third pregnancy and I've only ever met a handful of health care professionals who were cheerful. I now expect them to be miserable and anything else is a pleasant surprise. Thankfully my consultant is lovely!

A GTT is a test for gestational diabetes. Some authorities offer it as a matter of course, others only to those with risk factors. I've never had one before. This will be my first.

ComeLuckyApril Wed 02-Dec-15 22:37:14

I'm due 9th as well :D

2 hours in the hospital sad I hope I get some good books for Christmas. Good idea with the knitting. I'll be pretty uncomfortable too as I get back pain from sitting. I hope the waiting room isn't all hard chairs. Apparently they will do the general antenatal checks on me that the community midwife would otherwise do that day, so I don't know if I'd get to hear the heartbeat again etc.

I tend to find the sonographers pretty matter of fact about it all, I guess they are busy concentrating on all the science side. The midwives I've seen have all been lovely, though smile

crumblybiscuits Wed 02-Dec-15 23:57:48

I think it's also good to bear in mind that they could have just given someone awful news and be a bit down and glum about it as we experienced first hand. It's a hard and emotionally trying job. We have the same sonographer every time and know her really well after our previous loss but she is still very matter of fact and always concentrating hard.

Going on a day trip to a larger hospital with fetal medicine clinic on Friday for our fetal echo and anomaly scan. Getting really nervous now and a bit panicky as last time we were there we had our fatal diagnosis with our angel baby so it's going to be really hard and emotional. But we will hopefully have a lovely positive day with lots of good news and some shopping and Christmas Market visiting afterwards!

MrWriter Thu 03-Dec-15 10:29:14

Thanks for starting the new thread suffolkblonde.

I had my first rewind therapy yesterday in the hope to banish the demons from my previous birth, not sure it worked but was great relaxation, which is hard to come by with a 2 year old terrorising the house!

I've to go back next week and I'm going to try and be matter of fact about the whole situation, and keep the pressure on for a cs.

I haven't been able to relax into this pregnancy with the birth looming over me.

For 1st timers, I had a crap experience, not everyone does!

brookeberry Thu 03-Dec-15 12:47:47

Hello all, I had my 20 week scan on Tuesday - huge relief, all was well. This is my first DC and now I believe this is actually happening and I'm not just getting plump!! grin

Good luck with all the scans - how amazing seeing everything so close up.

Everyone I meet is talking about Christmas nights out. Mmmm wine, how I miss you so . . . . . smile

Rinnyx Thu 03-Dec-15 16:06:29

All staff I've interacted with during my pregnancies I found lovely, guess I should class myself lucky

I'm 23 weeks on Friday, will be my birthday next week, moving house next Friday and getting ready for Christmas plays and end of term on the 18th at work so busy busy!

Missing unwinding with a drink, I'm a pear cider or lambrini drinker. Any no alcohol suggestions ladies?
Would like to have some nice drink for our first Christmas & new year in the new house xx

crumblybiscuits Thu 03-Dec-15 16:25:20

Rinny I think the no alcohol Kopparbergs are lovely.

ComeLuckyApril Thu 03-Dec-15 16:30:51

Elderflower cordial is really nice with sparkling water.

suffolkblonde29 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:15:33

Just tried a new lemon and elderflower sparkling drink by Schweppes which wasn't bad!

Had our 20 (21) week scan today and luckily all was fine - phew! Didn't get a great view of the baby as they were just zooming in on body parts but I'm just relieved it seems to be developing OK.

Good luck to everyone else going for scans at the moment.

PurplePoppy17 Thu 03-Dec-15 20:33:22

I got told that M&S have really nice mocktails but only in some of there stores. Haven't seen them yet but some good reviews. Worth a try over the Christmas time. I'm not really a big drinker so it's not bothering me much to be honest.
I'm really struggling today with itchy boobs... Sorry TMI but they seem to be getting worse. My nipples feel like sand paper. I've literally just sat rubbing ice cubes on them after my shower. Anyone else with this problem?
Feeling baby kick lots today- it's so nice although it can be quite uncomfortable. But I just love feeling her move smile

KnitsBakesAndReads Fri 04-Dec-15 18:54:31

Thanks for the new thread suffolk. Glad your 20 week scan went well too.

crumbly, I hope your scan and echo today went well and you were able to enjoy some Christmas market shopping afterwards.

MrWriter, I've never heard of rewind therapy before. I hope that it does help you to feel more positive about the birth and able to relax and enjoy your pregnancy more. Has your midwife been supportive of you asking for CS this time around?

Congratulations on your scan brooke, glad everything went well. I know what you mean about it making you realise this is really happening - I felt the same after my scan. Did you find out if you're having a boy or girl, or are you keeping it a surprise?

Poppy, I've been getting sore nipples too - especially when it's cold out for some reason! A weird pregnancy symptom I've never really expected! If you find anything that helps I'd love to hear about it!

For non-alcohol drinks, some of the alcohol-free beers are okay I've found, and they make me feel like I'm having a "proper" drink rather than just a soft drink. I also second April's suggestion of elderflower cordial and sparkling water. Would love to hear any other suggestions though - I tend to end up drinking lime and soda when I go out the pub with friends and there's really only so many pints of lime and soda you can drink before you just feel a bit ill!

crumblybiscuits Fri 04-Dec-15 22:12:38

Thanks Knits everything went fab and baby's wardrobe has doubled in size today! Lovely healthy and active baby girl.

KnitsBakesAndReads Fri 04-Dec-15 22:38:54

That's lovely news crumbly, so happy for you. And what a beautiful scan photo.

PurplePoppy17 Sat 05-Dec-15 21:23:32

I'm going to give this 'frozen cabbage' leaves a go for my poor boobs!! blush
What's everyone's thoughts on their hospital bag? I want to be organised, I'm thinking of packing mine for about 28-30 weeks, I'm worried that if I don't I'll end up needing it early and really regretting not doing it earlier. What to put in it I have nooooo idea confused

tattooedmummy Sun 06-Dec-15 08:53:55

Hi everyone jumping on the thread (but very anxious to believe everything is going to be ok ) but got my 20 week scan tomorrow so trying to be optimistic

brookeberry Sun 06-Dec-15 09:22:42

Hi tattoo smile I was very nervous about my 20 week scan (perfectly normal). Enjoy it! Let us know how it goes.

poppy I still can't think past tomorrow (I'm not a forward planner!) I can't even buy anything yet, although I don't know what I'm waiting for. This is my first DC - is anyone else buying things?

pingoose Sun 06-Dec-15 19:47:46

Welcome tattooedmummy!

brooke I'm trying to wait until after Christmas to buy anything, but that's only because we're moving house in January and I don't want to have to move everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now