Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shirodkar, advice REALLY appreciated

(4 Posts)
aMuminwaiting Fri 15-Aug-14 18:12:32

I had a shirodkar suture put in at St Marys at 14 weeks. Am now 20+4 and have lost some stitch thread when wiping over the past two days. I was told at my last clinic there that this may happen and there may be some spotting in the next week but nothing happened so I thought nothing of it. Then over the past two days there it was. The doctor who performed the suture never mentioned this and it was only mentioned in passing by this other doctor who checked me out at 17 weeks for concern about uterine pressure. I took the bits of thread to my midwife today just for some reassurance but she said she had no idea and to talk to the consultant about it on Wednesday. I'm worried that things will go wrong before that. I went to the hospital yesterday to get checked out for cramps and back pain and was looked at with a speculum. He didn't say anything about noticing thread coming out and it happened when I got home and went to the loo. Please tell me I'm worrying about nothing. I can't find anything about this online. Only a diagram of a shirodkar suture with stitched holding the band down in place.
Anyone else had this?

vickylu1 Sat 16-Aug-14 14:06:33

I just searched online for this as I was curious. I literally just typed in shridokar stitch and there was a fair amount of info about the procedure itself.

I wonder if you called up one of the organisations who put the info up that they would be able to put your mind at ease.

I don't know how many stitches they use to put the band in place but hopefully there are enough there to see you through the next 18-20 weeks.

Have you tried calling the antenatal unit at the hospital for advice? I'm assuming you'll be under special care so I would have thought they'll be able to help. That's bad that the midwife didn't know what to say, she could have at least told you it's nothing to worry about, assuming it is.

I hope someone can help you out with this one.

Here are the links I found:
www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk/wp/wp-content/leaflets/Cervical-stitch.pdf

www.sth.nhs.uk/clientfiles/File/pd5253_HavingACervicalStitch[1].pdf

www.womens-hospital.net/shirodkar-suture.html

I hope it all works out well and that you find out more info before Wednesday.

vickylu1 Sat 16-Aug-14 14:10:11

Just one more thing. If you do get more spotting, I'm sure A&E would be worth a visit. They were really good when I had spotting with my youngest, didn't make me feel stupid for going there at all. They checked me over, did an ultrasound and really put my mind at ease. Best of luck smile

aMuminwaiting Mon 18-Aug-14 16:18:44

I didn't have any spotting. Was warned that I might at St Marys but didn't, just lost the thread over a few days. Was reassured it's just there to initially hold the suture in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now