Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Large abdominal circumference = big baby?

(6 Posts)
xXjunebugXx Mon 28-Jul-14 19:11:43

Is this true?

At my 20 week scan (20+2) my baby was measuring just under the 50th centile line for everything (FL, HC, TCD) except for AC which was on the 95th centile.

Friends are freaking me out saying it means a big baby. My first DC didn't have a large AC but did have a huge HC and he was 8lb 4oz at 40+2. I am a bit worried that this baby is going to be a huge giant as I am trying for a VBAC and now I feel very scared. I asked for a growth scan but was denied one as it doesn't matter if baby is on the large side (according to my midwife). I am measuring 2 weeks a head on FH, all my midwife says is your body won't make a baby to big for your body. I feel I am not being heard, I have had several miscarriages and I am scared that if this baby is big and I can't give birth again something could go very wrong and I won't have a baby at the end of this pregnancy.

I know I sound a tad hysterical but I am scared, really scared. All my midwife said was no you can't have a scan but you can still choose a c section.

breakfastnotattiffanys Mon 28-Jul-14 19:36:08

I had similar measurements and was induced at 38 + 5 weeks (because I was old (44) and they were worried about this "big baby") She was only 8lb 6oz and perfectly normal but did have a pot belly. like me

xXjunebugXx Mon 28-Jul-14 22:23:31

Thanks for your reply.

pommedeterre Sun 03-Aug-14 22:52:10

Dd1 had a large ac measurement and was 7lbs 7 at 38.5 weeks.

My consultant said large ac measurement was a very healthy sign.

TaytoCrisp Wed 13-Aug-14 23:51:23

I also wondered about this junebug. I'm 33 weeks and scan last week showed ac at 98th percentile!!! Though they didn't seem worried and remarked it would be a big healthy baby!?! Consultant did say that there can be lots of error in these measurements though. Head was normal sized. I just get the scan due to previous complications, otherwise I wouldn't know these measures (and probably wouldn't worry!). But it is much better for the baby to be on the big rather than the small side. Best of luck and try not to worry!

slightlyinsane Thu 14-Aug-14 00:03:04

My twins measured along 98th and 89th ish for hc and ac at 36 wks they were 5lb 10 and 4lb 11, if they'd of made it to full term wouldn't have been huge going on the average of half lb a Wk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now