Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant at 40

(9 Posts)
Ame40 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:49:21

Have just found out that I'm 5 weeks pregnant just after my 40 th birthday. Ds is 9 and Dd 6. Even though we were trying I didn't think it would happen and am now terrified of something going wrong, and the effect it could have on the other 2. Am also now worried about having another at this age and can't stop thinking about it .
Know I should be grateful but struggling to come to terms with this!

PresidentSpreadable Tue 22-Jul-14 09:36:25

I conceived actually on my 40th birthday! It's a first for me though, so I don't have any worries regarding the effect on existing family.

I fretted for the first tri, but am now beginning to relax at 20 weeks. I had the Harmony test to rule out Downs and our scans all look excellent.

I'm sure you'll be fine, I don't think everything has to be doom and gloom just because you're 40.

resipsa Tue 22-Jul-14 21:14:03

I had DD at 40. Easy peasy pregnancy. Don't fret.
Congrats!!!

MinkyWinky Tue 22-Jul-14 21:18:06

I had my Dd at 44 and had a straight forward pregnancy! Congratulations:-)

Missus2ndwife Sat 02-Aug-14 21:51:09

Congrats!!!
I am 40 and pregnant with my first. I had so much anxiety at first, we also went for the Harmony test and are now being well cared for by the consultant. I am now 27+3 and every day is a blessing to be pregnant.

I'm not sure why we're so worried about our ages... I do think there is a lot of scaremongering which goes on. My late gran on my dad's side had her two when she was over 40 (not uncommon in those days) in 1938 & 1940and they both turned out fine.

Marama Sun 03-Aug-14 20:33:45

I'm 43 and this will be our first - worrying about everything, of course, as well as life after baby!

DurhamRed Mon 04-Aug-14 13:11:40

Hi, I'm 40 and pregnant with our first. I'm currently 7+4 weeks and suffering awful morning sickness :-(

SmileAndNod Mon 04-Aug-14 13:19:26

I found out I was pregnant with our third about a month after my 40th. Like you, we were trying but I was shocked and scared when that line appeared. She's gorgeous, though it has changed the dynamic of the family. Pregnancy was the hardest of the three but that's because I developed SPD and nothing to do with my age.

It will be ok I'm sure. Congratulations!

HollyBen Wed 06-Aug-14 09:32:44

I got my bfp a week before my 40th and had to get through my party on a solitary glass of prosecco. I already have a DD who is 3 though this is my 4th pg. The plan in my head said DC2 would arrive before I was 40, but that wasn't to be. We were all set to go for fertility testing when I got the bfp. I am 10 weeks and going through a whole host of emotions relating to previous mcs and implications of age. Saying that I was 36 when I had DD and had not problems at all during pg. First mw apt next week so will be interesting to see whether there will be any differences in my care this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now