Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Clexane Injections

(8 Posts)
Catr1njad3 Wed 16-Jul-14 21:19:25

Hi,
I have to take clexane injections throughout my pregnancy, due to a blood clot I had when I was 20. Injections don't bother me, but the bruises and lumps are, it's making me really emotional. I know it's for mine and the babies benefit, but this is my 2nd week injecting and I've got another 34 weeks of this :-(. My 12 week scan is in 2 days and my tummy is covered in bruises :-( feeling so emotional, anyone know how to help the bruises and lumps so it doesn't feel link such a chore?
Thank you!

I understand so well! I have a blood clotting disorder, diagnosed at 24...lifelong warfare etc.

I too took clexane for over a year when pregnant and know your pain. The area I found least painful was my stomach - pinch some skin and inject into it, slowly. Whatever you do, do not rub the area afterwards as it will make it bruise badly. You could also try putting a cold patch on before injecting, to numb the area.

You will get there, just have to grin and bear it, though I was in tears near the end, and frequently gave myself a good talking to grin

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Thu 17-Jul-14 12:03:59

I've just finished about 10 days of two injections a day. I thought they were horrible thanks thanks thanks thanks for you. I hope someone comes along with good advice for you.

Sending positive thoughts. thanks

TaytoCrisp Thu 17-Jul-14 20:16:55

Hi Cat, i have to agree the injections are a pain, i have been using heparin injections for the past few months and sometimes it seems very random whether or not you get a horrible sting / bruise / lump after.

I find a few things helpful, so usually its ok, but i still cant wait to finish with them in about 2 months time. Things i find helpful are:

- Rotating location from one side of tummy one day to the other side the next day then to outer thighs on day 3 and 4, so i try to only use the same area once every four days.

- Gently prod the area with the needle before going for the full injection. If it is too sensitive, then move elsewhere.

- Insert needle slowly.

- Some people use an icepack beforehand.

- Squeeze the area you are injecting into (the dr usually shows you this so you are probably doing that anyway).

- Distraction - try not to think about it beforehand, just get it done an overwith..! When i think about it too much beforehand its usually a more arduous event!

Very best of luck with it, and keep well!

EverythingCounts Thu 17-Jul-14 20:24:08

Had to do this myself during pregnancy - I also have a clotting disorder. I rotated between left side of tummy, right side, left thigh and right thigh. TBH I tried to use each of those sites for a week and then they had 3 weeks to recover. But having read Tayto's post above, you could also try rotating day by day if that works better for you. It was always random for me whether my skin reacted or not, but I have also ben told by a few people than icing the area beforehand helps.

tannyLoo Sat 19-Jul-14 17:27:42

I'm on them once a day until 12 weeks. I agree with Tayto, especially about slowing everything down.

I alternate between sides of my stomach, I make sure there are no droplets of heparin on the needle, and wipe it on the cap to remove any that have formed.

I pinch a big old bit of flab and test the area with the tip of the needle until I find a patch that isn't as sensitive, and then push the needle in as slowly as I can.

When it's in I push the plunger down as slowly as I can, which is hard sometimes as it can be tricky to get going.

After injecting, I wait for a few seconds before removing the needle, and keep the pinch in place for another 30 seconds or so.

I don't rub the area and try to stay put for a while after.

Distraction helps, I put something on iPlayer on my computer to watch.

This way, I've had very small bruises the size of a marker pen dot, but mostly no bruise at all.

Oh, and I'm also using Fragmin, not clexane. I don't think this makes any difference though.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Bakersbum Sat 19-Jul-14 17:34:45

I had to do them too, it's a pita but you will kind of get used to it. I did mine in my thighs, and alternated it each day. I would also get someone else to do it sometimes.

Is it possible someone else could do it for you? I have done it for someone else in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now