Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 2014 Thread #5 - Battered and bruised we limp through the second trimester

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SassehMonsta Tue 01-Jul-14 13:43:53

Here we go again, the thrills & spills of leaky boobs, and feeling baby move for the first time - Lets go!

Stats Link!

SassehMonsta Tue 29-Jul-14 20:27:58

Im usually an accountant, not childcare but my mum runs a holiday playscheme and.needed a hand. I orginally only agreed tocferry kids to the train station!

monkeybaby2 Tue 29-Jul-14 20:53:02

miraculous I can't begin to imagine how difficult this is for you to navigate. For my own perspective finding out the sex helped me bond with DD and is the main reason we found out this time.

Reading your post, it seems like you are understandably trying to protect yourself as much as you can from what might turn into a truly deeply heartbreaking situation. I think the reality is that whether you find out what sex they are or name them, you are already deeply bonded with them after what you've all been through already. What I'm trying to say is, you need to do what feels right for you and know that you are being utterly courageous and we are all hoping for the absolute best for you and your tiny little fighters x

monkeybaby2 Tue 29-Jul-14 21:02:36

Two positives for me today:

DD was an angel at hospital appointment and we were seen really quick. In fact in tantrums at all today, result!

Our lovely neighbours gave us home grown runner beans today, to go with the two cucumbers, potatoes and sweet peas they've already gifted and they are letting us park our van for free in their field until the place at the neighbouring farm comes up in a couple of weeks. And we've only been here a month!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 29-Jul-14 21:08:19

Oh monkey that reminds me of a positive! One of my volunteers brought me in two courgettes from her garden smile

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 29-Jul-14 21:08:32

I had one for grab

Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 29-Jul-14 21:08:45

*tea! Goddamnit.

monkeybaby2 Tue 29-Jul-14 21:12:53

Yaaaay for homegrown presents!

CatFaceCrayola Tue 29-Jul-14 23:07:20

Just been catching up.

Feeling very positive here. Had a lovely restful couple of days away with my friend. Campervan in Wales and a trip to Chester. And now I'm back with my lovely husband who I've missed loads.

belly is looking huge. Feeling lots of wriggling still smile

finding out really helped me. It gave me a bit of a boost and it's so lovely thinking of her as she and not it!

21+2 (I think) ...It's clearly been really good for me to get away from constant baby obsession for a few days!!

DrFunkesFamilyBandSolution Wed 30-Jul-14 06:18:22

Monkey that sounds lovely!

Not sure if we're finding out the sex, scan this afternoon.
We didn't with ds1, did with ds2...I preferred not knowing but dh would rather know.

LotsaTuddles Wed 30-Jul-14 07:00:57

I think we're going to find out.

Partially because for some reason, this still doesn't feel very real, I think it's more because I was heavily pg this time last year so can remember all the big kicks and movements more than the little ones I'm feeling at the moment.

I think, if we do find out then we won't tell anyone in RL, partially because my mum, MiL and SiL will go a bit mad buying clothes

DrFunkesFamilyBandSolution Wed 30-Jul-14 07:04:21

Lotsa, if ours is a girl mil will go bonkers buying stuff so we wouldn't tell either (3 grandsons in 3 years, think she wants a granddaughter)!

It's ds2's first birthday today so I'm, hopefully, not thinking about the scan until it happens!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 30-Jul-14 08:52:35

Happy birthday mini DrFunkes!

miraculous2 Wed 30-Jul-14 11:45:04

Thanks for these very thoughtful responses. I also posted the question on the TTTS support group FB page and although the vast majority of them found out the sex, plenty didn't, and there isn't an overwhelming push for it (the American TTTS charity makes it sound like you'd be a bad parent not to name them at diagnosis).

There are some sound reasons, however. DH and I talked about it again yesterday and we're pretty certain we will ask at the scan tomorrow. Mainly because then it's easier to think of them as people and not as an illness. So, we'll soon have our long-held assumptions confirmed or our little miracles will shock the socks off us once again...

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 12:19:31

Hello Decemberers <MNHQ barges in again> Blimey these threads move fast!

Just wanted to drop a quick reminder about Bumpfest - our one-day all-you-need one-stop-shop for finding out about pregnancy, birth and your baby's first six months. Book before August 3 to get reduced tickets, and even bigger savings if you book in groups of three or more.

The goody bag is worth more than the ticket price (if you use a combo of Early Bird booking and group booking), and you get lunch and drinks and snacks too.

flowers to you all, especially those having a hard time.

oohdaddypig Wed 30-Jul-14 12:53:47

miraculous I don't know if my opinion helps at all. When I had my (early)miscarriage, I didn't know the gender. But I had already bonded with the baby and for me, the grieving process would have been helped had I known that information as I think from the moment of conception, our precious cargoes are people. To this day, I still wonder about whether my little angel was a boy or a girl.

I really hope, of course, that everything goes well for you this week and I'm sending you all the positive thoughts in the world.

rowansmumsnet thanks for the info about bumpfest - wish it had been around for my first time. It's in London so hundreds of miles from me but hope it goes well.

Have my 20 week scan this afternoon and crapping it.... sad

CatFaceCrayola Wed 30-Jul-14 13:19:09

Urgh. I feel horribly sick today. Hope it's just a one off bug and not the constant nausea returning sad

Ladylel Wed 30-Jul-14 13:40:09

I have no love for anyone or anything today, just Ina total meh. I don't want to be at work. I don't want to talk to anyone. Just feeling miserable for the sake of it really. Don't wanna be at work mainly. Stil 3 hours left before home time ! Wahh

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 30-Jul-14 13:49:27

My mum and my stepdad have come up for lunch and it's been a total chore. I've got such a strained relationship with my mum that it doesn't take much for me to snap hmm

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 30-Jul-14 16:44:45

Today she was on about how "if you've decided that renting is best for you then go ahead" and "I worry about you being so far away" (particularly galling as she moved to bloody Northern Ireland. I'm only in the next county!). She seems to think I've chosen this isolation for myself, like I had a choice. I suppose, yes, I could have ended the relationship with my now DH and stayed in my hometown, but she still would have left and gone to NI, so what bloody difference would that have made? I think what she means is, "I can't be bothered to visit you more often than is absolutely necessary and I don't like the way that makes me feel, so I'm blaming you" because I used to visit her a lot before I started working this year.

I'm waffling. She makes me so ANGRY.

LisaC2611 Wed 30-Jul-14 18:40:50

Peace, sorry to hear you are having a tough time with your mum.

my MIL drives me mad so I have empathy for you.

Miraculous thinking of you for tomorrow hope your scan gives you the answer you are expecting re sex and surgery on Friday goes well.

CatFaceCrayola Wed 30-Jul-14 19:23:23

I've been far too cheerful and positive these last few days, knew it'd all go tips up sooner or later. Have felt so miserable today for no good reason. Don't feel sick anymore which is good though.

Hate it when DH works latest too. He only starts at 12 and so has a lie in and then watches cartoons all morning so nothing gets done.. And then he doesn't finish til 8. And I guarantee as soon as he walks in the door it'll be TV on all night for either watching things or playing games . If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even own a TV.

Off to Edinburgh for the weekend and really nervous about the train ride. At 4-5 weeks we went down to London and I was so so so I'll on the train there and back so pretty nervous about that.

Proper irrelevant waffling from me tonight. Sorry

Ladylel Wed 30-Jul-14 22:12:35

New topic, brought a love egg today (this is what I affectionately call it as I keep forgetting it's actually called a groegg) regardless of its name it's a room thermometer and night light for babies, so I got it on in our room to test it. Granted Bert and Ernie (temp nicknames for twins) won't be here until November when it will be a lot cooler but right now our rooms gone from 24 degrees to 25.1... Perfect room temp supposedly is between 16 and 20 degrees. I am shocked its so warm tbh. There I am thinking it's just me being an overly sweaty Betty at night but the room is actually hot with a fan on and two windows open!

oohdaddypig Wed 30-Jul-14 22:37:17

Hope your days improved?

20 week scan - all well. Was adamant didn't want to know sex and weakened - we are having another little girl! We already have two but are absolutely delighted.

CatFaceCrayola Wed 30-Jul-14 23:15:27

The love egg looks cool...watching a few on ebay now.

I'm driving myself mad. I'm so restless, but at the same time I can't actually motivate myself to do anything! Also I'm boring myself with baby-stuff now, it's all I can think about. And I always said "I hope I don't turn in to a baby bore when I have kids" but I'm already sodding there with 4 months to go!

Ladylel Wed 30-Jul-14 23:36:57

Congrats on another team pink member. oohdaddy

catface kiddiecare sale was £25 but wilth sale and 5% discount was only £12 bargain! Blaits bagged me one of those!

This thread is not accepting new messages.