Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

It's all balls, bicycles, and babies for the PESH!

(990 Posts)
evilgiraffe Fri 27-Jun-14 15:39:25

Antenatal fred for BESH graduates

CRESH

Faith - pinky faithlet arrived 14th April 2013
Pinkr - suitably pinky one arrived 25th August 2013
Jethro - blue one arrived 23rd September 2013
Noks - pink one arrived 12th January 2014
Frankel - large pink one arrived 10th March 2014
Merks - pink one landed safe and sound 21st March 2014
Sinky - Stubborn blue one arrived 26th March 2014
Driz - blue one arrived 12th June 2014
Kat - pink one arrived 21st June 2014

PESH

Draf - Expecting a late pink one EDD 19th June
Winks - EDD 26th June
Ginger - Miniginger due 13th August
Dor - A very special pink one expected 18th August
Euro - eager Centime expected to arrive a lot sooner than 28th August
Buggerlugs - Buglet due 20th October
Fankle - ESHlet expected 4th January
Cunty - Minichops expected 7th February

So the June cluster is halfway through laying, and then we're on to the July/August batch! Are we even going to have time for Wimbledon and Le Tour and the World Cup in all this excitement?!

tennisbikefootballtennisbikefootballtennisbikefootballtennisbikefootballtennisbikefootball

evilgiraffe Sat 28-Jun-14 20:22:40

Good points, frank. Also worth bearing in mind that although these women and babies might be having the same blood flow issues as you, euro, you don't know how similar/different they are in other respects. There are so many variables to consider, and you and centime are in good health otherwise so that's all positive. Going out to see a comedy seems like a good plan as well - distraction is your friend smile

The whole idea of actually having a baybee seems utterly barmy, frank - going to hospital etc all makes sense, but going into labour? Getting a person?! Surely not! grin

FrankelandFilly Sun 29-Jun-14 11:59:21

How was the cinema Euro? How are you feeling today?

Draf are you all packed and ready for tomorrow?! It's very exciting!

Hope our new ESHlets and their mums are doing well, Kat and Drizz.

Winks, if you're still lurking hope all is well with you.

My parents arrive later today, they're staying till Friday so it'll be nice to have some company in the house. HWHNN was very excited to tell me last night that he met BBC reporter Bill Turnbull who's out in Afghan reporting on the closure of Camp Bastian. Bless him!

FrankelandFilly Sun 29-Jun-14 21:51:55

Quiet round here today. Hope everyone is doing ok.

Draf, wishing you lots of luck and sneeze-birth thoughts for tomorrow. I'm at Addenbrookes again tomorrow morning for boob clinic, so might see you there!

evilgiraffe Sun 29-Jun-14 21:55:38

Ooo, him off BBC breakfast? Very exciting grin

Nearly packed here, but no rush as I don't have to call to find out when to go in until the afternoon. Doesn't look like I'm going to go into spontaneous labour before then either, grr. Oh well. Bedtime in a minute, but I can't imagine I'm going to sleep too well - the fear is starting to set in. <tries to engage rational side>

Fankletastic Sun 29-Jun-14 22:02:38

Hello! Found the new fred and dropped by to wish Draf luck for tomorrow.

Euro hope you're bearing up ok and glad the unwrapping of new purchases has cheered you up a bit.

As for me, I'm still getting awful right side rib pain and wondering wtf it is! Am mostly seeing ligament/muscular stretching as possible reasons on dr google but also saw wind! I'd surely know if it was wind though, wouldn't i? It's enough to make me take a couple of paracetomol and it seems to happen when I'm walking about. It's bloody annoying!

TheOriginalWinkly Mon 30-Jun-14 07:40:27

Good luck today draf, did you manage to get any sleep?

FrankelandFilly Mon 30-Jun-14 08:07:19

Massive good luck to you today Draf hoping for excellent news later today/ tomorrow.

eurochick Mon 30-Jun-14 09:47:05

Massive good luck for later, draf.

frank you're right that survival rates are very good at this gestation (albeit with a fair percentage of learning difficulties or sight/hearing problems). It's not the gestation per se that's the issue now - I've made it a month since the first dodgy scan at 28 weeks and chances are much better now. The risk is more that they get the balancing act wrong and centime stays in too long, and gets deprived of oxygen. I have another scan in a couple of hours and I have a feeling that they might say this is it.

I saw the Bill Turnbull report on BBC Breakfast a couple of days ago.

I hope you have a lovely time with your parents.

22 Jump St is quite puerile but LOL funny with it. I'd recommend it if any of you need cheering up at any point! That helped. And then yesterday we went to visit BIL & SIL. A day with cute niece and some doggy cuddles helped. The fear returned on the way back, but it took my mind off it for a while.

SinkyMalinks Mon 30-Jun-14 09:56:59

Hope induction is quick and sneeze like Draf.

Euro - centime has done brilliantly to get so far - like you say, the outcome difference at 32 compared to 28 is massive. Please let us know how the scan goes.

FrankelandFilly Mon 30-Jun-14 11:04:21

Hope the scan goes well euro, I'm keeping everything crossed they say centime can stay in a bit longer.

Well, boob clinic done - I've been discharged! Hurrah! They said everything seems fine now but have put an "SOS" on my notes so that if I do phone with a problem they will give me an emergency appointment. Big sigh of relief.

TheBuggerlugs Mon 30-Jun-14 11:53:36

Hey Hags. Just marking my spot. Will catch up fully after some sleep.

Laters

katandkits Mon 30-Jun-14 12:59:03

Good luck draf! Hope it all goes well. Sending sneezy thoughts your way smile

Hope scan goes well euro. 32 weeks is so much better than 28 but would be great if they can get you an extra couple of weeks, apparently lungs are better developed by 34 weeks. Although if you've had the steroid thing that might be less of an issue.

First day solo with two children. Not had nervous breakdown yet. Had cake for lunch.

katandkits Mon 30-Jun-14 13:02:38

Hope scan goes well euro. 32 weeks is so much better than 28 but would be great if they can get you an extra couple of weeks, apparently lungs are better developed by 34 weeks. Although if you've had the steroid thing that might be less of an issue.

First day solo with two children. Not had nervous breakdown yet. Had cake for lunch.

katandkits Mon 30-Jun-14 13:02:38

TheBuggerlugs Mon 30-Jun-14 13:15:42

Right, I feel human enough the catch up now.....

Draf good luck today. Hope you have a lovely sneeze like birth.

Euro good luck for the scan. I've actually thought about you a lot this weekend.

I've been away with the girls this weekend and I've had a totally wonderful time but I have never felt so worn out in my life. I've had a snooze but have taken tomorrow off work as I know I'll be a bit of a zombie for quite some I
time.

TheBuggerlugs Mon 30-Jun-14 13:38:24

Oooh I forgot to mention that I'm 24 weeks today grin

TheOriginalWinkly Mon 30-Jun-14 14:30:43

Hoping your scan goes well euro. These last 4 weeks must have been the longest of your life.

evilgiraffe Mon 30-Jun-14 14:37:45

Thanks for the good wishes! Rang hospital, they say "come in whenever you're ready". Packing now done, so I guess I'm off... See you all on the other side shock

evilgiraffe Mon 30-Jun-14 14:38:37

And obviously best of luck with your scan, euro smile

FrankelandFilly Mon 30-Jun-14 14:42:35

Yay Draf, off you go to get your baybee grin

Congrats on the milestone Bugs, it's a good one to reach.

eurochick Mon 30-Jun-14 14:52:37

frank it's great that they have discharged you.

bugs you're at viability! Hurrah.

kat how is flying solo?

You're absolutely right - the next target is 34 weeks (I'm 31+4 today) - that would be great because as you say the lungs are more mature then and they have a much better chance of being able to breastfeed as the sucking reflex kicks in around then apparently.

The upshot of today's scan is that the baby is still growing, although it has lost a few more centiles (the long bones are still around the 50th centile but the head and abdomen are down at around the 10th). Weight is estimated at 1505g, so still teeny tiny, but a long way from the 960g at the 28 week scan that caused all the panic. After deterioration over the past 3 scans, the blood flow hadn't got any worse today, so that is a relief. So no steroids yet, next scan on Thursday. They are going to continue monitoring the blood flow twice weekly, and I'll have another growth scan in a fortnight if I get that far. So all in all, it's a bit of a repieve. I was so sure that they were going to say the blood flow had deteriorated again and they needed to get centime out. So like all scans, I will feel calm for the next day and then the panic will gradually set in again!

And GOOD LUCK draf!

SinkyMalinks Mon 30-Jun-14 17:22:22

Glad the scan brought some reassuring news euro - centime is little, but growing and it's great that the blood flow is no worse. Your team must be relatively reassured that delivery isn't immediately imminent if you've not had steroids yet?

In me news, R took a bottle today! A measerly 1oz, but a step in the right direction!

eurochick Mon 30-Jun-14 17:55:03

Thanks Sinky. The steroids are apparently of maximum benefit if the baby is born within 24 hrs and 7 days of having them, so they don't want to give them too early.

That's great news about the bottle!

JethroTull Mon 30-Jun-14 22:21:03

Ooooh good luck Draf

Glad scan brought some positive news Euro. Crossing everything for 34 weeks.

FrankelandFilly Mon 30-Jun-14 22:48:18

Glad the scan was positive Euro, I know that my previous post about gestations was generic! but I guess I was trying to say that you can find anything on the inter web if you use the right search terms. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about things now and I'm keeping everything crossed you can make it to 34 weeks.

Hope you're comfy Draf and that the Addenbrookes folk are looking after you. I walked through the Rosie as I left the hospital this morning and had a smile to myself as I thought you'd be having your baybee there very soon.

In other news, my bestie had a show last night, she's 3 days overdue so hopefully E will have a new playmate in the next few days grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now