Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2014- Thread 6- Pink, blue or yellow? 20 week scans coming up for the rainbow collective

(1000 Posts)
Alita7 Mon 09-Jun-14 17:13:32

Wow this makes me feel so far along! Nearly halfway!

Venus2 Mon 09-Jun-14 17:16:54

Found you smile

amylou85 Mon 09-Jun-14 17:59:44

Marking my place! So excited to be on a thread about 20 week scans, I remember seeing other threads at that point when I was only 5 - 6 weeks thinking gawwwd our thread like that is months away! (I still am a month away tho at 16 weeks, grr)

blamber Mon 09-Jun-14 18:02:57

Posted a link on the old threat, hopefully everyone will find it ok

Oklahoma Mon 09-Jun-14 18:06:02

Counting down the days...

utopian99 Mon 09-Jun-14 18:07:27

Found you, thanks blamber!

teaNcakes where are you? We must be pretty close - I live in Walthamstow near Lloyd park.

Like those of you panicking so am I, despite having obvious bump and having been through this before. I have, with a bit of force, managed to sort out the 16 week appointment for Wednesday though, although I'll be 17 +2 by then I assume it's all a bit vague. I just want to know all's well really..

Annarose2014 Mon 09-Jun-14 18:12:38

Gosh I can't believe we're at this stage! The first trimester was such a long drawn out ordeal, but this one is flying!

I ordered a book for DH off the Book Depository, it's called Pregnancy for Men, and despite the naff title looks like it'll be brilliant. Am dying to read it myself actually! The reviews on Amazon are great.

Bits and pieces of baby kit are starting to arrive from family and friends, and like everyone on the old thread I alternate between being very excited to staring at the stuff and thinking "Oh God, I hope I'm not getting my hopes up only for it all to go tits up". Must listen to my Doppler tonight - I've been growing so much that I've been neglecting it. It's so irrational to think it's not OK when your belly button is swiftly disappearing, but there you are!

ToniWol Mon 09-Jun-14 18:38:08

DH got a book called Fatherhood - he's found it really useful and has shown me bits as well to try and explain what he's feeling as opposed to what I'm feeling.

I think I may need to start making a list of what we need for when Blueberry arrives.

StudyFullTime Mon 09-Jun-14 18:53:30

Hiya all,

checking in on the new shiny thread, I'm nearly 17 weeks so have about 3 weeks til 20 week scan.

I've bought a book for DS called 'Mummy has a house in her tummy' so I can explain there's a baby in my tummy.

He now wants to call the baby Tarzan at least we've moved away from optimus prime!

weeonion Mon 09-Jun-14 19:00:26

Evening all! Marking my place on thread 6.

TeaNCakes Mon 09-Jun-14 19:00:49

Utopian I'm in Buckhurst Hill. We've not been here very long (moved in Feb) so still getting to know the area, but was in Walthamstow fabric shopping at the weekend!

Hey everyone, I've been rubbish at keeping up with the threads but just saw this shiny new one so will make more of an effort now!

Had my bloods taken for the quad tests last week as they couldn't do the nuchal test at the 12 week scan (baby was in an awkward position) so I should get the results next week. I've also been booked in for extra scans at 28 and 34 weeks as the consultant wants to keep an eye on baby's weight due to me having an EMCS with DD, if it seems like this baby is on the large side I might be recommended to have an ELCS this time. Don't have to make a decision until after 34 weeks so ages to mull it all over and decide.

We've decided to convert the garage into an office as my current office is the third bedroom and we're going to need that next May! £355 just to apply to the council to have permission to do the conversion! Anyone know next weeks winning lottery numbers...?!

Alita7 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:25:50

Thanks blamber!

Theres a February thread already!

DP refused to get a pregnancy for men book as he's done it before -.-

I tried to get dsd a suitable pregnancy book for kids and failed miserably. she's 10 but due to learning disabilities is more like a 6 year old so I googled for something that would be good for a child around that age as the ones in water stones were a bit young and were stories as opposed to factual. I used amazon and failed miserably, the book I got ended up being some mental american one and literally says the man puts his Penis in the woman's vagina and later has a picture of two children around 4-7 standing in the bath with bits in clear view.... Ummm not quite what I wanted! Sigh!

weeonion Mon 09-Jun-14 19:45:41

watching "breadline kids" on channel 4 and weeping already ......

utopian99 Mon 09-Jun-14 20:15:51

Ds is 18 months and although we've told him what's going on I think it's mostly going straight over his head. In some ways that's a good thing as hopefully he won't be too phased when it arrives. He did give the burgeoning bump a cuddle the other day, but I suspect this was just because it's a new sticky out bit of me.

I never got dh a book about pregnancy, largely because he liked me giving him updates myself, but we did randomly find a book called Dad Rules about a guy who is a stay home dad/comedian and his experience of having one, then more children. It's funny rather than educational but we both rather enjoyed it.

kate393 Mon 09-Jun-14 20:46:04

Marking my place smile

amy83firsttimer Mon 09-Jun-14 21:37:36

wee onion I'm fine really, just being over dramatic. I do properly worry sometimes but DH is very good about using rational arguments to convince me I'm being silly. It's like my head knows it's all ok but my heart worries. That's badly phrased, sorry.
Anyway, feel the bump has grown a bit now so fingers crossed it'll carry on at a non-worrying rate of growth!

barmybunting Mon 09-Jun-14 21:45:37

How on earth are we nearly approaching 20 week scans? It barely seems like yesterday we were discussing 5+6 weeks, although it hasn't felt that quick in between!

Who is finding out the gender? We are still debating, I want to know but also want the surprise! Decisive here...

Alita7 Mon 09-Jun-14 22:10:32

Barmy it's amazing Isn't it, pregnancy is taking ages BUT it seems like only yesterday we were all getting bfps! It's so exciting!!!!

9 days tomorrow until my scan and I couldn't not find out if I tried :p

weeonion Mon 09-Jun-14 22:12:17

Barmy - had my 20 week and yep - we have known the sex for about 3 or 4 weeks wink

barmybunting Mon 09-Jun-14 22:20:24

I think I am going to be even worse about wanting to know when I hear all of you finding out smile. Is anyone finding out but not telling anyone (other that DP/DH obviously)? I would be more tempted to if we could avoid telling other people but I am rubbish at keeping secrets!

StripeyFox Mon 09-Jun-14 22:28:05

I'm not finding out the sex - basically just because I love surprises!

I feel the same about the weirdness of approaching 20 weeks (although I'm still a few weeks off it), things seem to be flying. I'm also very much feeling those worries about baby being okay, and questioning if my bump is growing. I've still not really had any pregnancy symptoms, so it's difficult to believe I'm really pregnant.

Annarose2014 Mon 09-Jun-14 22:30:53

I'm desperate to find out. I need to visualise, and plan, and imagine his/her little face, and pick a name, and picture it all. Will be actually quite pissed off if I can't get the right angle next week to see what it is!

I also have been convinced its a boy, and if it's a girl I want to know so I can get my head around my instincts being completely wrong all this time!

But if I find out I'm telling everyone. I'm a bigmouth anyway, and I don't get why this should be a secret. I'll tell anyone who'll listen! grin

weeonion Mon 09-Jun-14 22:34:48

barmy - only DP and I know. No-one else will. we did that last pregnancy as well.

we felt that so much becomes "public property" and knowledge (for example see all the posts about what people feel they can say about out bumps) that this will just be for us. our special thing.

i so love hear people guessing what they think it is - all a load of tripe really but the spurious gendered reasons - ie "this one is giving you trouble - MUST be a boy" or "you are enjoying sweet things and chocolate - MUST be a girl"

StudyFullTime Mon 09-Jun-14 22:40:00

DP and I are so convinced this is a girl that we picked her name last night! Going to be buggered if we're wrong...also can't wait to find out to me you get a surprise at 20 weeks rather than at birth.

I bonded with DS whilst he was growing because I knew he was a boy so was able to talk to him and he was my little buddy.

This thread is not accepting new messages.