Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Summer is almost upon us and the PESH are laying thick and fast!

(1000 Posts)
TheBuggerlugs Mon 28-Apr-14 19:41:23

Antenatal fred fun for BESH graduates

CRESH

Faith - pinky faithlet arrived 14th April 2013
Pinkr - suitably pinky one arrived 25th August 2013
Jethro - blue one arrived 23rd September 2013
Noks - pink one arrived 12th January 2014
Frankel - pink one arrived in March 2013 in a sneeze like birth
Sinky - Stubborn blue one arrived March 2013
Merks - pink one landed safe and sound March 2013

PESH

Driz - Expeciting a blue one EDD 7th June
Draf - Expecting a pink one EDD 19th June
Kat - Another pink one EDD 20th June
Winks - EDD 26th June
Dor - A very special pink one expected 18th August
Ginger - Miniginger due 13th August
Euro - Centime expected around 28th August
Buggerlugs - Buglet due 20th October. Mother still in disbelief smile

FrankelandFilly Mon 28-Apr-14 19:54:25

Well done Bugs grin

We've had an up and down day here: health visitor came out to do E's check up and she's lost weight (4oz) since her last weigh in. Cue me feeling like rubbish for not feeding her properly. She went away to consult another HV, but not before telling me I'd probably need to top her up with formula. To say there were tears after she left would be an understatement.

She finally came back to say that they would leave me to increase the frequency of her feeds and will reweigh her next week before deciding if she needs more. So I'm now trying to feed her every 2 hours from one boob while expressing like a mad thing from the other. I need to get this boob fixed and fast. I know there's nothing wrong with formula, but I really wanted to try to EBF for 6 months.

FriendofDorothy Mon 28-Apr-14 20:31:26

Checking in on the new fred.

I have had a lovely 27 hours or so away from home although I am absolutely knackered. We did really well at the competition winning Adult Choir of the Day which was fabulous.

It was so nice to be able to spend some time with the girls too. I still can't believe that I have been singing with some of these girls for about 20 years!

TheBuggerlugs Mon 28-Apr-14 20:31:56

Frank I can totally understand the tears, but please remember that quality time with E is very important and if you feed every 2 hours you may end up shattered. I'm sure it will all work out and no one will judge you if you do end up topping up a bit. You are doing fab.

My brother has rung me to ask me to forgive Mum. I'm livid. I have swept my feelings under the rug time after time after time and I can't do it anymore.

In other news my fucking dog STINKS of Fox shit despite a bath with tonnes of shampoo. Little fucker.

FrankelandFilly Mon 28-Apr-14 20:52:32

I'm aiming to feed her every 2 hours during the day and get at least one more feed into her at night. I shouldn't complain but she tends to sleep 10.30-2.30ish and then 3-6ish, so if I can give her a sleepy feed at about 1am and another at 4/5 hopefully she'll go back down for an hour or two and I can feed her again around 7ish. I'll try that tonight at least and if it doesn't work I'll just have to aim to get as much into her during the day as possible.

TheBuggerlugs Mon 28-Apr-14 21:06:31

Are you eating enough cheese? One can never have enough cheese grin

FriendofDorothy Mon 28-Apr-14 21:17:38

Franks you are doing great. I had days when I felt like I permanently had a milk monster attached to my nips. It's so hard at times.

FrankelandFilly Mon 28-Apr-14 21:31:53

Thanks Dor, I known I'm my own worst enemy at times. I beat myself up over every little thing and take it all very personally. I need to remind myself that I've EBF longer than most people manage (24% are still BFing at 6 weeks) and that's something to be proud of.

GingerScouse Mon 28-Apr-14 22:20:21

Marking my place.

Frank, don't be so hard on yourself. As you said, you've carried on EBF longer than 3/4 of mums AND with a broken boob!

You are being a Good Mum to E.

Frank how long is it since E was last weighed? I have a HV tomorrow (5.5 weeks) but this will be the first weight since 2 weeks. My HV specifically said they don't weigh any more often (unless there are issues) as weight will fluctuate in BF babies and that can cause alarm. So they weigh less frequently and look for a general trend. Anyway, hope you are OK

As you know I am a berry as well as a lurking CRESH, and find it strange that on both grads threads there are no July due dates. Would that be an October conception? Did nobody have sex in October?? Did all the FC's close for the month??

evilgiraffe Mon 28-Apr-14 23:08:09

Aww, Frank sad I'm sure E is just fine - don't forget you don't have to do what the HV says. If she seems happy and healthy, she probably is, I'd have thought? Merk makes a good point about BF babies fluctuating a bit too. You are doing a grand job, and definitely not a failure smile

We just had our last baby school class (aside from the breastfeeding one tomorrow with a different lady), in which we got to have a go with slings. Does anyone have any preferences on types? We currently think the wrap type ones (Moby and the like) are pretty good, and easier to tie than I'd previously thought, but it'd be interesting to hear some thoughts.

Draf I've got a stretchy wrap, and a couple of others. The only downsides of the stretchy sling are that it takes longer to put on (a pain with a screaming baby) and take off (making it awkward in public), takes more time to get the hang of it (ie knowing how tightly to tie it and at which height to cross the front) and gets us both v hot v quickly, even if outside and she is just wearing a vest. Because of this I started looking into bamboo breathable ones

FriendofDorothy Tue 29-Apr-14 07:22:39

I'm looking at the bamboo ones too. Wraps have good reviews.

FriendofDorothy Tue 29-Apr-14 07:23:07

Hana Wraps even.

evilgiraffe Tue 29-Apr-14 08:07:38

Ooo, interesting. Yes, the warmth is the main issue we have - we've looked into gauze ones because of that. Bamboo is lovely and soft, but if my socks are anything to go by, it's virtually indistinguishable from cotton ones, which makes me a little doubtful.

FrankelandFilly Tue 29-Apr-14 08:29:11

E was last weighed 12 days ago, I was told fortnightly weigh-ins for first 3 months then monthly after that. The lactation consultant came back to me and was quite angry about the HV, saying what did she expect when I've had mastitis and E has had a tongue tie snipped. I'm seeing her on Thursday and she's given me some advice on a feeding regime, pointing out she's helped lots of women who could only feed on one side for various reasons.

We've got an Ergo carrier for outdoor use and a Kari-Me wrap which I occasionally use indoors. Like Merks says it takes some getting used to in terms of tying.

ALittleFaith Tue 29-Apr-14 08:50:07

Hello all! Luff the new Fred. Can't believe so many of you will drop in the next few months!

Frank go with your instinct with E. I wanted to EBF Faithlet til 6 months but introduced one bottle of formula a day from 4 months eventually. We mix fed until she was one. Did she advise on feeding with your sore boob? Does it seem to be improving?

We've got a stretchy wrap, lovely for a newborn, very snuggly. I also bought a hop-tye sling. It is good, great for a bigger baby but again it's a tye sling and the long straps irritate me. I'm fancying a toddler Tula next...not cheap though. I would suggest a stretchy wrap sling to start with to see if you like 'baby wearing' and if baby likes it. I can recommend someone who sells them (for about £15) and posts them. QueenRollo recommended her to me and pinkr bought a sling from her too. She runs my local sling library.

TheBuggerlugs Tue 29-Apr-14 10:13:23

Hags reassure me that drinking decaf coffee and eating a bit too much chocolate won't have harmed Buglet. I'm starting the menkul and its so long until my next scan (that I don't even have a date for yet!)

The chances of mmc after 12 weeks are tiny yes?

SinkyMalinks Tue 29-Apr-14 10:36:27

Sorry to hear that frank. Like merk, my HV will weigh babies no more often than monthly, due to fluctuations and resultant worry. Your lactation consultant sounds sensible though, and you don't have to immediately do whatever the HV says (but I bet that's a nightmare with frequent visits etc)

Sleep is still not great here, but I think R is trying to smile and is pulling v cute faces, so he gets away with it.

Well done on the fred bugs.

SinkyMalinks Tue 29-Apr-14 10:37:51

Xpost bugs

Have a fish slap. You are menkulling. Tiny risk. And I will almost promise you that no baby has ever been harmed by excess chocolate. No matter what the books say.

evilgiraffe Tue 29-Apr-14 10:41:22

Nothing wrong with drinking decaf coffee at all, bugs, it's just a drink! Chocolate is no big deal either, unless you're eating fifteen giant bars every day. It's fine, honestly.

I just went to tesco and have come back with maternity pads, bed pads, giant knickers, and sudocrem. I may be planning ahead a little early...

My antenatal teacher said something about a sling meet in a couple of weeks, so I shall ask a million questions if I'm able to go! The long ties do indeed look irritating for putting them on/off, but they also look more versatile than the shaped ones with clips etc. Who'd've thought there'd be so much to think about?! grin

evilgiraffe Tue 29-Apr-14 10:42:29

By giant bars, I mean those huge ones that come out at Christmas that weigh about two kilograms...

eurochick Tue 29-Apr-14 10:51:31

bugs since the nausea passed, I have been mainlining chocolate and drinking decaff and coke. Centime was fine at the last scan. <pours bucket of clams over bugs>

draf that sounds like good planning to me.

frank I'd ignore the HV (have you seen the many freds on here about the crap advice others have received from them). You are doing a great job and have the support of the lactation consultant.

TheBuggerlugs Tue 29-Apr-14 10:51:31

Oh shit. 33 week IVF differ friend has been told that they now induce IVFers on the EDD here. Surely this can't be right?!

<freaks out>

TheBuggerlugs Tue 29-Apr-14 10:52:10

P.s fanks for fish slaps. grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.