Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2014 - thread 5. Bigger bumps!

(981 Posts)
Kirstipops Sun 13-Apr-14 17:56:57

Kirstipops dc1 Edd 27th Sept
sazzlehopes dc2 27th sept
MundayCakes85 EDD 28th Sept
MrsBadCrumble74 DC2 EDD 28th September
Mrsb87 Dc1 Edd 29th Sept
hefner DC2 EDD 29th Sept
Gunwalloe DC5 Edd 30th Sept
CaptainMcgraw DC2 EDD 30th September
Bumpbangbump DC2 EDD 2nd Oct
Porcito DC1 EDD 3rd October
TroubleAndFyfe DC2 EDD 4th Oct
Georgebythesea DC1 EDD 4th Oct
CellyD DC2 EDD 6 Oct
FlipFantasia DC3 Edd 7 Oct
Cabster DC2 EDD 8 Oct
Binkybunny Dc1 Edd 10th Oct
Claptomania DC1 EDD 10th Oct
Fedupofrainydays, DC2, EDD 10th Oct
Me23 Dc3 Edd 11th Oct
MrsDinoRawr DC1 Edd 11th October
Bumpforme2014 DC1 EDD 11th Oct
PunkyBubba DC2 EDD 12th Oct
Kittylou1 Dc1 Edd 12th Oct
Binglesplodge DC1 EDD 14th Oct
Happytimes31 Dc1 Edd 15th Oct
Pebble82 DC1 EDD 14th Oct
Mrsthedog DC1 EDD 16th Oct (puppythedog also lurking about the thread)
Grannyapple DC3 EDD 16th Oct
ExcitedCJ DC2 EDD 18th Oct
Loulou888 DC3 Edd 20th Oct
FrauEnglischLehrerin DC2 edd 22nd Oct
Stigz DC2 EDD 23rd Oct
NotInyourNature DC2 EDD 24th Oct
Robindeer, DC1 EDD 26th Oct
Matildasmam22 DC3 EDD 27th Oct

pebble82 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:11:13

Does anyone know what happens if you decide not to go back to work? Do you have to pay back all the pay you get when off?

binkybunny Tue 22-Apr-14 22:15:59

Pebble you wont pay back your smp but will prob have yo pay back all or some of any additional pay you get. It should be in your employee handbook or contract.

Sparkle9 Tue 22-Apr-14 22:16:44

You don't have to pay back any statutory pay but you may have to pay back any occupational pay. It depends on your terms and conditions.

Kirstipops Tue 22-Apr-14 22:46:58

I didn't weigh myself beforehand but I reckon I've gained about 10lbs as well, all in the first trimester as I was eating like a horse to stop feelng sick! Thankfully tailed off now though.
We're thinking about me not going back to work after the baby comes as well, not deciding anything for definite yet though, I'll see how I feel nearer the time.

Binglesplodge Tue 22-Apr-14 23:22:42

I didn't have any sickness at all and my weight really hasn't changed at all: not more than a pound or so at 15 weeks today. Should I be concerned? The weekly email I got today was saying that I should expect to have put on about 5 pounds by now but I just don't have much appetite so I'm not eating any more than I normally would. Should I deliberately eat more, or stick to eating when I feel like it? (I bet I'll regret worrying about this in another couple of months once I'm the size of a house...)

ldt87 Tue 22-Apr-14 23:27:04

Hi all, checking in, still regularly reading Facebook. Here's my 14 week bloat/bump if my pic adds okay please excuse the handprints all over the mirror, it's used by my 2 girls for dancing and make up! Hope everyone is doing well xx

Bumpforme2014 Wed 23-Apr-14 07:00:22

Yes I am thinking about not going back to work, maternity pay is good so have tried to look into whether or not I need to pay it back but it doesn't say it anywhere which makes me think you probably don't. Guess I will just have to ask HR near the time but it's not the kind of thing you want to ask until you've made the decision!

Loulou888 Wed 23-Apr-14 07:17:47

You employer would be pretty mean if they ask for it back. I'm worried about weight gain. I was a stone heavier upon getting pregnant with this one as opposed to my first two. Although I did naturally lose it previously by breast feeding and generally being busy looking after a baby!

Here's my bump!

mum2kiss Wed 23-Apr-14 07:25:52

My employer makes you pay back any maternity pay they give you in addition to smp if you dont return for a minimum of 3 months after baby. I know of women who came back and did the 3 months then left...

Bumpforme2014 Wed 23-Apr-14 07:33:02

That's the thing, it doesn't make sense for them to get me to come back and work my notice which is three months then leave as will cost them money to recruit another person to replace me when they could just keep my maternity cover person on? Oh well, we shall see I don't mind going back for three months will be easiest three months ever knowing I won't be there long !

binkybunny Wed 23-Apr-14 07:33:42

Our contract also says we have to return for 3 months or pay back the additional pay. However I'm only contracted until end of August so I dont have a job to go back to and don't get the additional. I've found it nice to have had the decision taken away as I really want to be a sahm for atleast a few years, but I think the additional pay would have swayed me! I now need to learn how to stick to a budget!!!

ohthegoats Wed 23-Apr-14 07:55:53

I'm going to go back part time. Having the conversation about that with my boss almost physically hurt. I love my job, my career is really important to me, but I also strongly believe that there is no point in having kids if you put them in nursery from 8 til 6, which is what we'd have to do. It's hard marrying up those two feelings though - I guess that's why it's handy to have 9 months to get used to these things. After 2 years, boyfriend may take the career hit and do 2 years of part time too before child starts school.

In my company we get 9 months on full pay then 3 months SMP. Sounds amazing but you repay the full 9 months in a lump sum if you leave within 6 months of returning to work.
Also, there are no part-time jobs in my function so it's back full time or nothing...talk about golden handcuffs!

gunwalloe Wed 23-Apr-14 08:18:55

Binglesplodge don't worry about not gaining weight I've lost 1.5 stone so far and the baby's doing fine I had my 16 week appointment ( a week late ) yesterday and the baby's heartbeat was thumping away.
I've got a gender scan today I really feel its a girl so will be in shock if we see any dangly bits at the scan

Oooh, so excited gun!
I knew I didn't want to go back to work so didn't take the enhanced pay, just the SMP, that way I didn't have to worry about paying anything back.

I mean excited for you gun!

bumpbangbump Wed 23-Apr-14 10:07:33

Just checking in. Been really busy with holidays being full to bursting but have been keeping an eye on everyone's posts. So sad to hear care bears news. If you're still reading then I really hope you're getting lots of RL support.

Bumps are looking great ladies. I'm getting quite a bump too but a lot of that is fat. I was dieting before and fell spectacularly off the way on so have put a hideous amount of weight on. Next week I'm done with birthdays and stuff so should be better at controlling impulse eating!

16 week appt today, heartbeat was strong and clear and urine tests all fine. Now just 4 weeks to scan!!!

Hope you all have a great week and manage to avoid the stinking breath of you ohs grin

FrauEnglischLehrerin Wed 23-Apr-14 11:13:53

bingle i think the advice is definitely not to eat more than previously. Iirc you need 300 calories more per day in the third trimester, everything else comes from your metabolism slowing down and working more efficiently to extract maximum nutrients and energy from your usual diet. Having said that, if you don't gain much overall by the end of the pregnancy then be prepared for aggro from dr/midwife. I only gained 8kg with dd, which the dr moaned about, but when I told her I was eating a massive bowl of ice cream and fresh fruit every evening she let me off grin. A friend in the UK felt under a lot of pressure though for not gaining enough weight in either pregnancy - has two healthy children, though.

ohthegoats don't underestimate how differently your feelings and views might be after the baby is here. I find working part time lets you have your cake and eat it and it doesn't have to mean you are letting the sisterhood down smile.

I've unofficially registered as yet unborn dc2 at dd's kindergarten for a place from 12 months. Dd started at 2.3, but I had lots of help from PIL that I can't rely on this time round due to their age. Still don't know if it's the right thing to do, though.

LondonJen Wed 23-Apr-14 14:47:34

Hi all

Lovely to see more bumps!

I have a different work pressure: I set up working for myself years ago because I wanted to be a SAHM in future and hope I can fit my work around the childcare. If it doesn't work very well I am going to be devastated. Really hoping it pays off and not being a naive fool!

Saw Dr and he thinks my breathing thingamy might be the start of mild asthma. Got to keep an eye on it as not bad enough to need treatment at this point but nothing that can't be handled if it gets worse.

Am 16 weeks today and planning to tell some friends this eve. Feel SO much better this last week, really feel like myself again. Only real symptom now is all the growing bump related aches/pains/twinges.

Planning to sign up for antenatal pilates too now I've reached their minimum requirement of 16 weeks. Starting to feel like I can enjoy this now smile Hope everyone else feeling well.

Loulou888 Wed 23-Apr-14 15:13:57

Hi london hope working from home is a success. I have asthma too, mine isn't serious either and it won't cause you any problems.

Good luck telling your friends. I'm feeling better than I was. Still have some nausea at some point during the day but apart from that just tired which is a major improvement but still frowned at by DH when I announce I'm off to bed at 9.

SJH0604 Wed 23-Apr-14 17:02:24

Hi everyone, please can I join and be added to the list? Due 10th October DC1.

I'm a little bit late to the thread, but better late than never!

At 15 weeks I'm now anxious for a more prominent bump rather than just looking like I've put on weight (which I think I have anyway!).

Anyone else not got an obvious bump yet?

gunwalloe Wed 23-Apr-14 17:27:28

Just back from the scan definitely no dangly bits so its a girl!
Everything looking good ive got a anterior placenta but it doesn't look like a major thing from what ive read. Anyone else had this?

magichandles Wed 23-Apr-14 18:27:56

I think I had an anterior placenta with at least one of my previous pregnancies, I can't remember even worrying about it so I'm assuming it wasn't a problem! Good news on a girl though!

I'm just back from seeing the obstetric consultant's team which was fine - she said I could cancel the pointless cervical scan the sonographer wanted me to have and wasn't too worried about my high-ish BP which I had been working up as a THING in my head. I had an idiot receptionist who couldn't count weeks on his calendar though when trying to book my next appointment and was about 3 weeks out and refused to admit he was wrong.

Congratulations gun! I so want to know, 4 weeks to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now