Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2014 - thread 5. Bigger bumps!

(981 Posts)
Kirstipops Sun 13-Apr-14 17:56:57

Kirstipops dc1 Edd 27th Sept
sazzlehopes dc2 27th sept
MundayCakes85 EDD 28th Sept
MrsBadCrumble74 DC2 EDD 28th September
Mrsb87 Dc1 Edd 29th Sept
hefner DC2 EDD 29th Sept
Gunwalloe DC5 Edd 30th Sept
CaptainMcgraw DC2 EDD 30th September
Bumpbangbump DC2 EDD 2nd Oct
Porcito DC1 EDD 3rd October
TroubleAndFyfe DC2 EDD 4th Oct
Georgebythesea DC1 EDD 4th Oct
CellyD DC2 EDD 6 Oct
FlipFantasia DC3 Edd 7 Oct
Cabster DC2 EDD 8 Oct
Binkybunny Dc1 Edd 10th Oct
Claptomania DC1 EDD 10th Oct
Fedupofrainydays, DC2, EDD 10th Oct
Me23 Dc3 Edd 11th Oct
MrsDinoRawr DC1 Edd 11th October
Bumpforme2014 DC1 EDD 11th Oct
PunkyBubba DC2 EDD 12th Oct
Kittylou1 Dc1 Edd 12th Oct
Binglesplodge DC1 EDD 14th Oct
Happytimes31 Dc1 Edd 15th Oct
Pebble82 DC1 EDD 14th Oct
Mrsthedog DC1 EDD 16th Oct (puppythedog also lurking about the thread)
Grannyapple DC3 EDD 16th Oct
ExcitedCJ DC2 EDD 18th Oct
Loulou888 DC3 Edd 20th Oct
FrauEnglischLehrerin DC2 edd 22nd Oct
Stigz DC2 EDD 23rd Oct
NotInyourNature DC2 EDD 24th Oct
Robindeer, DC1 EDD 26th Oct
Matildasmam22 DC3 EDD 27th Oct

Me23 Sun 13-Apr-14 18:17:09

Thanks for new thread! Please add yourself to list if not on it already or post mn name edd and whether it's dc1/2 etc and one of us can add you.

mrsb87 Sun 13-Apr-14 18:17:52

Plonking my butt down!

ExcitedCJ Sun 13-Apr-14 18:25:14

I am going to need medicated if this continues.. I am stressed beyond reason about the health of the baby. I read that if you get too hot it can cause issues with development & I am constantly frozen so am always huddling under duvets etc. All I keep hearing from F&F are negative stories about people's newborns. I am getting myself in such a state!
I was a little irrational last time but another 3 yrs on the clock has sent me over the edge. Please someone talk some sense in to me!

Kirstipops dc1 Edd 27th Sept
sazzlehopes dc2 27th sept
MundayCakes85 EDD 28th Sept
MrsBadCrumble74 DC2 EDD 28th September
Mrsb87 Dc1 Edd 29th Sept
hefner DC2 EDD 29th Sept
Gunwalloe DC5 Edd 30th Sept
CaptainMcgraw DC2 EDD 30th September
Bumpbangbump DC2 EDD 2nd Oct
Porcito DC1 EDD 3rd October
TroubleAndFyfe DC2 EDD 4th Oct
Georgebythesea DC1 EDD 4th Oct
CellyD DC2 EDD 6 Oct
FlipFantasia DC3 Edd 7 Oct
Cabster DC2 EDD 8 Oct
Tak1ngchances DD1 EDD 9th Oct
Binkybunny Dc1 Edd 10th Oct
Claptomania DC1 EDD 10th Oct
Fedupofrainydays, DC2, EDD 10th Oct
Me23 Dc3 Edd 11th Oct
MrsDinoRawr DC1 Edd 11th October
Bumpforme2014 DC1 EDD 11th Oct
PunkyBubba DC2 EDD 12th Oct
Kittylou1 Dc1 Edd 12th Oct
Binglesplodge DC1 EDD 14th Oct
Happytimes31 Dc1 Edd 15th Oct
Pebble82 DC1 EDD 14th Oct
Mrsthedog DC1 EDD 16th Oct (puppythedog also lurking about the thread)
Grannyapple DC3 EDD 16th Oct
ExcitedCJ DC2 EDD 18th Oct
Loulou888 DC3 Edd 20th Oct
FrauEnglischLehrerin DC2 edd 22nd Oct
Stigz DC2 EDD 23rd Oct
NotInyourNature DC2 EDD 24th Oct
Robindeer, DC1 EDD 26th Oct
Matildasmam22 DC3 EDD 27th Oct

binkybunny Sun 13-Apr-14 18:40:51

Thanks for the new thread kirstipops

excited the hot thing, I think, is just not to hug a red hot hotwater bottle or get into a boiling hot bath and even then I've read other people using hot water bottles and elec blankets and being fine. I'm sure cuddling under a blanket is fine. I hope so as I spend most evenings hiding under one!

Have you tried the hypnobirthing link that was on the last thread? I've not had chance to yet but it seemed to be helping relax others.

CJ what other things are you worrying about? I totally feel for you as I suffer with anxiety
I would say number one piece of advice is dont read too much on the Internet. A lot of it is scaremongering or ill-informed or plain wrong.
If you are cold, of course put a blanket on. Your body is excellent at regulating its temperature. Think of all the pregnant women who live in hot countries, or even here in Blighty when we have a heatwave, and deliver perfectly healthy babies.

binkybunny Sun 13-Apr-14 18:59:46

Also did you get 'the manual' from your midwife? At my 8 week appointment they gave me a book with pregnancy week by week and loads of advice. I tried to stop reading anything but that for advice as I figured it would be correct if its from the midwife and agree with tak1ng that the internet is s bad place to be if you're anxious.

Loulou888 Sun 13-Apr-14 19:04:55

CJ steer clear of the internet! It's science gone mad all these things we can't do. Don't worry about cuddling up under the duvet. I would also say once in a while a "too" hot bath is probably not going to hurt you. All this rubbish is ridiculous. I also read somewhere to be careful with how much sun cream you are putting on..... I mean really so burn or be protected! It annoys me.

ExcitedCJ Sun 13-Apr-14 19:15:51

Oh boy.. Taking where do I start with what is making me anxious, just about everything. I'm worried about the heat thing, used electric blanket a couple of times before I realised it wasn't good, although I was particularly freezing. I used face cream with Vit A until I realised, wrote to the company and they reassured me it would be OK but to stop using. Worried about my age & increased risk of Downs. Worried I'm not eating well enough. I've just got myself into a right state!
I sat with my back planted on radiators with DD & went on a sunny holiday & baked in the heat til I sweated but didn't know to worry last time.
Thanks binky I must start the Hypnobirthing again, it helped me to keep a grip last time.
Oh I'm a crazy, crazy lady.. Poor DH!

FlipFantasia Sun 13-Apr-14 19:25:05

Thanks for the new thread Kirstiepops! Marking my place!

NotInYourNature Sun 13-Apr-14 19:32:54

excited i have baths that are far to hot (always have) i have an electric blanket which goes on every night. I even used a hot tub and i have a perfectly healthy 13 month old. i also had the odd glass of wine, drank unpasteurized milk and did lots of other things they say not to do. not anything that would really truly harm my baby but i just lived my life normally.

The only thing i stopped for this pregnancy is the unpasteurized milk but that because i got sick from it and ended up in hospital with campylobacter. Didn't affect the baby at all i was just super dehydrated.

worrying so much will do you more harm in the long run than any of these things as you won't enjoy this wonderful experience. xxx

ExcitedCJ Sun 13-Apr-14 19:44:44

NotInYourNature thanks, that is just what I needed! Reassurance mixed with a little bit of a reality check. You guys are very kind for all your words, it really does help. I'm officially off the edge again.

Kirstipops Sun 13-Apr-14 20:17:24

Well said Excited, I've had a few friends, family and colleagues now say they are envious of my pregnancy and to make the most of this time as they really enjoyed their own.
I've ditched Google and just remind myself that women all over the world manage their pregnancies in far less hospitable climates and environments than we have to put up with, just need to have more faith in our bodies' strengths and abilities smile

Kirstipops Sun 13-Apr-14 20:18:25

Sorry I meant to say well said Notinyournature, glad you feel better about things though excited smile

CareBearWithFangs Sun 13-Apr-14 20:27:31

Marking my place.

Hope your feeling ok excited. I really wouldn't worry about the heat thing. I saw on here the other day that it isn't mentioned on the nhs website so not to worry about it. I'm still having my baths as hot as I fancy.

Have my scan tomorrow, am feeling that strange mix of nervous/excited!

fedupofrainydays Sun 13-Apr-14 20:51:35

I'm the same excited and this is my second. I find I just know so much more this time round and last time I was ignorant! I get myself so worked up about stuff and it's just bonkers.

Sparkle9 Sun 13-Apr-14 21:01:26

Marking my spot. I will add myself to the list after my 12 week scan this week.

ExcitedCJ Sun 13-Apr-14 21:12:23

smile fedup it's crazy isn't it, I'll keep you straight if you keep me straight! We have a little while to go!
CareBear good to know nothing on NHS info, must only read my pregnancy manual from hospital from now on. Good luck with your scan tomorrow.
Kirsti thanks

Grannyapple Sun 13-Apr-14 21:21:57

Marking my place...thanks for the new thread!

Re: baby in same room. DS was in his own room at 10 wks-he was just too noisy & was outgrowing the Moses basket so seemed a good time to move him...we all slept so much better as a result!

DD is still in lwith us at 8.5 months...is driving me mad as she still wakes cos she can hear us turning over at night etc & we only have 2 bedrooms currently. But we have just received approval to create a 3 rd bedroom & change 2nd ensuite to a family bathroom. Hoping for work to start at the end of the month, so I'm hoping that by 10 months, she'll finally be in get own room & I can get some decent sleep under my belt before bubba no 3 arrives!

Thanks for the new thread!

mrsb87 Sun 13-Apr-14 21:53:41

Weird thing happened yesterday, went to a lovely wedding where I spent a lot of the afternoon looking after their 7month old son which was lovely! When I came home and got ready for bead my boobs were rock hard and the right one had what looked like dried up milk on my nipple....sorry if tmi.

has anyone else experienced this? Freaked me out a little!

mum2kiss Sun 13-Apr-14 22:17:12

I have had it with this nasty sour taste in my mouth all. Frickin. Day. Long!!!! Even brushing teeth hasnt got rid of it today! Tell.me it will be gone for good soon please!! I cannot deal with this until october!

Thanks for the new thread kirsti smile

Excited I agree with others, people in far less fortunate surroundings manage to give birth to healthy babies. I think all the research that goes on in the western world is so.conflicting and just.leaves us all confused! I cant believe you have or will do anything that might cause harm to.your baby. There was no google when our.mums were having us and we're ok (if a little bit nutty!)

pebble82 Sun 13-Apr-14 22:52:24

I think what happens with research is a bit like side effects on medicine bottles. If it has affected one person in a thousand it's noted as a possible side effect. It's super rare but then we all start thinking we can see symptoms of said side effect. It's mostly psychological. I'm a worrier too but trying to think that until something bad actually happens there is no point in stressing about it as it doesn't exist.

porcito Mon 14-Apr-14 03:45:12

Thanks for new thread! Definitely agree on side effects...here in Mexico, no one seems to be concerned about anything when pregnant! My MIL gave me some cheese yesterday and was genuinely confused about why I 'couldn't' eat it. Also confusing to people I've met here is : asking for steak well done, not drinking coffee, avoiding cold cut meat, undercooked eggs, hot dogs (and hot tubs for that matter, not that I've wanted to go in one as it's about 3 million degrees outside) . And yet, in my town, there are healthy babies everywhere... still doesn't stop me being paranoid but does put everything into perspective. I've also had an X-Ray, three lots of dental surgery and today burned a hole in my leg getting off a motorbike I was sitting on. I've stressed out every time, but 30 seconds in the company of my MIL makes me feel ridiculous. If anyone wants to borrow her, please feel free...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now