Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Martians 2014 thread 16: the babies are arriving!

(272 Posts)
commsgirl Thu 13-Mar-14 13:26:32

New thread smile

Fender1 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:22:06

Congrats to all the lovely new mamas , not Jel at all wink
Bless you Streppy, ask lots of questions but don't be afraid to ask 'why?' a lot. They will induce here (Yorkshire) at 41 wks if requested so would've thought you've got a good chance considering the amount of discomfort you are suffering.
Hope the sweeps work for MTB (and you comms?) no change with me - I'm trying reflexology today !
Any news Dita?

Fender1 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:24:18

Sorry - good luck to BSpice not Comms re sweep, blame my bad memory on baby brain smile

DitaVonCreamTeas Fri 14-Mar-14 08:34:55

Still firmly pregnant, but at least DH and I did have a proper trial of the TENS machine - not sure what I was expecting it to feel like but it was fine.

Congrats slippers flowers.

OhmygawdIdosowanthisbabyoutnow. Gah!

commsgirl Fri 14-Mar-14 08:43:25

Due date today which pretty much guarantees nothing will happen, right? DP's gone into the office for the first time all week in the hopes that will lure her out, bless him.

Good luck to you all with sweeps/midwife appts. Mine isn't till Tuesday, really hoping I won't still be pregnant by then!

Rockchick1984 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:46:03

Whoops, just realised I never updated on here!! Baby girl was born at home last Tuesday - labour started at 2am, she was born in the pool at 4.14am so roughly 2 hours start to finish. She's perfect, utterly in love with her!

EmFlat Fri 14-Mar-14 10:43:09

Thinking of you, Comms... hope the trickery works! smile

Congratulations RockChick! Wow, what was the water birth like?

PainAuxRaisins Fri 14-Mar-14 10:43:41

Congratulations to all the new arrivals! I haven't been on here for a week or two but still patiently waiting for something to happen. I have no signs of anything starting soon (apart from pelvis separating by about 2 inches almost overnight) however I'm going to spend a few days wiggling around on a birthing ball and eating pineapple to see what happens. I realise my EDD isn't til the 26th however I think going to 40wks or beyond is going to do some serious damage to my pelvis so I'm all for an early eviction! Good luck to all those ladies who are overdue and going for sweeps etc. Steppy you should ask for an earlier induction if you are in pain - there's no harm in asking mw today to save you another few days of agony. Making you wait til 41 weeks seems pretty arbitrary.

Magpieblue Fri 14-Mar-14 10:45:11

Congratulations diz, imeg, slippers and rock! How lovely. Good luck to everyone having sweeps.

OwlinaTree Fri 14-Mar-14 11:23:48

Congratulations rock wow that was quick!!

Mummytobe2014 Fri 14-Mar-14 11:37:56

Well just back from mw, my cervix is unfavourable so sweep not done sad im gutted. She felt my cervix but couldnt do stretch so iv got to go back monday - probably be the same though so am now expecting to be induced at some point which im gutted about.

Mummytobe2014 Fri 14-Mar-14 11:38:41

Congratulations Rock thanks your birth sounded perfect smile

steppyhen Fri 14-Mar-14 11:52:19

I've just had another sweep by god this one hurt unlike the other ones! Asked abiuy early induction they said no heres hoping this sweep will work, back on Monday for another! Mummyto be fingers crossed for you on monday. Xx

commsgirl Fri 14-Mar-14 11:56:38

Congratulations Rock! She didn't hang around! thanks

Sorry about your sweep mummy sad. Fingers crossed for Monday.

Mummytobe2014 Fri 14-Mar-14 12:10:08

Thanks ladies am feeling really deflated today and very emotional.
Sorry to hear it was painful steppy i can imagine too as when she touched my cervix it made me jump shock but goodluck i hope this one works for u smile
Wonder why they said no to early induction, my dp saysi should have asked for one but im guessing they dnt just give them out. Assume you have to wait until ur two weeks over due!

steppyhen Fri 14-Mar-14 12:17:11

Her reason was that it would be unsuccessful cos its too early . This confusses me as people get induced at 38 weeks for other conditions? Wonder if I phone hosp direct ? I honestly do not think I will make it to fri my poor dss and dh havung to help ne with everything.

lumpylumps Fri 14-Mar-14 12:38:20

steppy I was induced at 38wks due to spd! I was practically housebound. I had a letter from the physio to the consultant saying they'd tried everything and recommended induction. I don't think they would've done it if I'd just have asked. What pain relief are you taking??

Congratulations to all the new mummies!!!

steppyhen Fri 14-Mar-14 12:48:11

Codeine and paracetamol trying to just take codeine at night tho. they have given me a tubi grip bandage to wear aswell. Had this pain at around 20 weeks and it went away and has only just come back so have not seen a physio. Looks like I will just have to stay positive and hope he comes before fri! X

Fender1 Fri 14-Mar-14 15:16:51

That's crap Mummy, sorry to hear about the sweep. I don't know what they mean about an unfavourable cervix surely that's why you have had the sweep? sex and curry weekend for you and DP then.
I would spk to the hosp Streppy, you can't be expected to go another week hmm
Loving hearing about all the squishy newborns, just need mine now!

Mummytobe2014 Fri 14-Mar-14 17:50:30

Thanks fender she said it is tilted but she couldnt reach it to do stretch. I am going to discuss options for inducing monday as i too am suffering spd i really didntwant to be induced though! Yep am thinking sex isback on the agenda for tonight lol dp doesnt know it yet! will not mention any swellings this time lol
My notes say that position is 3/5 so thats a long way to go i assume!
How r u feeling fender, any twinges?

I have had to start ignoring people today who keep asking whether i have gone into labour! Arghhhhh

steppy i am surprised they said it wouldnt work as too early coz as u say others have been induced early, i wonder whether its a different policy for different areas/hospitals etc?? It may be worth trying again at nxt appt?

liberuna Sat 15-Mar-14 00:29:58

After spicy nandos, long walks, pineapple ,raspberry leaf tea and sex things finally started moving.

Contractions started Tuesday leading to waters breaking on Thursday and delivery of one bouncing 8lb 10oz girl.

OwlinaTree Sat 15-Mar-14 03:10:42

Wow congrats lib! A lovely girl!

Fender1 Sat 15-Mar-14 05:25:57

Aww congratulations lib!

I'm still not in labour , and quite frankly getting a bit down about it hmm
Is it just me that hopes to wake up crampy / in a pool of amniotic fluid / with something anything remotely labour-esque happening.
Please someone tell me I'm not alone (and what I can do to get things moving!)

EmFlat Sat 15-Mar-14 07:40:18

Congratulations, Lib! smile hope to see you on the 'other' thread wink

Oh Fender, it will happen... will you go for an induction before long, is there a plan in place?

Fender1 Sat 15-Mar-14 08:12:10

Hi Em, how's that lovely newborn of yours?
I've got an ELCS booked for Tuesday morning, but hoped things would get going naturally before then.
Ho Hum, continue with walking the stairs / bumpy car journeys and curry & sex for me and Mr F then smile

BSpice Sat 15-Mar-14 08:40:00

Congrats rock & lib! It's lovely checking in & seeing how many babies born & what colour team yellows turn! Thanks all for the good lucks for my sweep yesterday! I'm booked in for another one on Sunday and they are pushing to book an induction date then. Midwife said baby heart rate bit high & I need to keep hydrated & eat regularly (no worries with that one, having scoffed half a packet of caramel chocolate digestives last night!) I left 1cm dilated and 2cm long & thick, so went for a 4 mile walk ( with a big fat lunch in between of course!) and DTD of sorts! And this morning I've lost my plug ( well I think that's what it was it looked like blood streaked frog spawn without the black bits!) So I hope baby will be imminent. Hope your 2nd sweep is more productive mtb ( I had 2 sweeps with DD1) & some strategies work for u fender & everyone else! The midwife did highly recommend walking & sex. So I'm about to drag DH out of bed for a ... Walk though he may prefer the latter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now