Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2014: growing bumps and 20 week scans!!!

(992 Posts)
Owlysims Mon 03-Mar-14 15:52:32

New thread!!!

Mitchell81 Sat 08-Mar-14 07:47:05

So excited I'm having my 16 week scan this afternoon. The boys are going to meet there baby brother or sister aswell.

Secretlypregnant Sat 08-Mar-14 08:07:14

Lovely, Mitchell81! Have a great time smile.

2beornot Sat 08-Mar-14 08:14:46

How exciting Mitchell!! I've got anomaly scan in two weeks but then we're going to take dd to see her brother/sister at a 3d scan at 28 weeks. I think she'll love it!

HungryHorace Sat 08-Mar-14 08:38:25

Exciting, Mitchell :-) Can't wait to hear back from you!

I'm meeting a friend later who I normally get bladdered with. I've not told him I'm pregnant yet, so that should be a nice surprise for him!

lyns31 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:11:57

Mitchell, so exciting. The kids will be amazed smile

Nice, Horace. Good to meet mums at the same stage as me.

Where is the Facebook group? I haven't announced to anyone but close family and friends yet but my belly and boobs are starting to give it away. I've still not recovered from seeing my much more advanced baba yet. I did a pregnancy test on Thursday because I was still finding it hard to believe that I'm pregnant then the next day I'm seeing this wriggly little person responding to being poked and probed lol.

HungryHorace Sat 08-Mar-14 12:12:17

I wondered if this was a surprise, Lyns!

The Facebook group is secret so none of your friends will know you're a member.

PM me your name and profile picture and I can add you. :-)

DisneyDiva87 Sat 08-Mar-14 17:23:18

I have a question about maternity clothes...

I'm going to a wedding on 1st August so I'll be 8 months pregnant and I've found a dress that I want to buy already but do I buy a dress size larger than what I normally am? I suppose buying a larger size would do no harm and be more comfortable anyway but just wondered

22honey Sat 08-Mar-14 19:09:25

Hi to the new thread! I had my 16 week midwife appointment on Thursday 6th and heard the heartbeat straight away, it was so loud! I was so happy afterwards though...and the midwife commented a possible boy! But I am aware its just an old wives tale...roll on the 20 week although I am still worrying often! xxxxx

Add me to any list im age 22, DC1 and tis a yellow baby for now due 17th August xxx

weeza13 Sat 08-Mar-14 19:17:41

What is everyone up to this evening? I am choosing to relax on sofa and hope tommorow is another sunny day.Had lovely day buying first boys clothes and choosing some very funky wool and patterns that my friend is going to knit for me. Found shopping much more fun now I know sex of baby, much more fun than shopping for me!

Mitchell81 Sat 08-Mar-14 20:00:00

Well my precious baby was being shy so I have to go back in a week to be rescanned.

Secretlypregnant Sat 08-Mar-14 20:16:20

Oh Mitchell, that must have been a bit disappointing. But at least you get to see her/him again! Did they manage to see anything today?

DisneyDiva87 I always just bought the size I usually am in maternity clothes. Depends on the dress style but a bigger size might hang oddly on you?

Weeza, I'm just waiting for my daughter to stop chattering away in the dark and go to sleep! Then I can go downstairs and get some fooooood - so hungry! What lovely clothes did you get today, then? Post some links!

HungryHorace Sat 08-Mar-14 20:21:36

Oh Mitchell, how frustrating. :-(

But yes, you get to see baby again, which is a bonus!

Shakshuka Sun 09-Mar-14 01:20:24

Mitchell: fingers crossed next time baby plays ball!

Disney: I think usually you should buy maternity clothes in your pre preg size because they account for growth in the right areas.

Our exciting news is that we bought a stroller! We weren't playing on getting one so early but we popped into a store for some bits and bobs and, of course, I went for a quick nosey in the baby section. They had a phil and teds verve stroller with the carrycot from display going for $280. I had a quick google and saw that the cheapest I could get it, without even the carrycot (another $150) was $500 and that the reviews were pretty good. So we got it! It wasn't one I had in mind but for that money it seemed a shame not to. And I figure we'll get a lighter one for going on public transport etc when the baby's a bit older - and still be quids in! I love a good deal (although slight uneasiness about having bought it before the 20 weeks scan)!

lostlalaloopsy Sun 09-Mar-14 08:03:22

Hi everyone

It's been a while since I've been. Hope you are all well, exciting about all the scans -it's lovely seeing little one moving around.

I'm 15 weeks now, still not felt much but I'm sure it will come. I bought a pile of maternity clothes on Friday, new look had a massive sale on! So much comfier now.

Ive got an appointment with consultant on 1st April so I think I will get my section date then!! So not going to find out sex as I want a wee surprise on the day.

Dd has been suggesting names - Dh's name for a boy and Cinderella for a girl! I think we need another trawl through the baby books!

shashuka we got a new pram too in a great sale. Got a Graco Evo.

mitchell I had to have a couple if scans too as it difficult to see baby - awkwardness runs in the family!! Plus my womb is tilted so it's never easy. It's always nice to get another scan for a wee spy.

londonchick Sun 09-Mar-14 16:21:50

Hi! Hope you're all well and have had some sunshine to enjoy today! Welcome to the new faces!

Disney, I have a wedding on 1st August too! Going to leave clothes shopping until much much nearer though. If baby arrives early I might not make it!

This next bit might be a bit TMI but anyone else had issues with urine retention? I'm quite uncomfortable now! Feel ready to burst constantly but then only wee a dribble at a time! Not been to get it checked yet as I still weeing which is good but going to ring the midwives in the morning. Mum told me earlier she suddenly remembered she had a retroverted womb and that seems to be a major factor in retention but would the sonographer noted that at my 12 week scan?

Apparently it should improve after 16 weeks and I'm 16+5 so really hoping I don't end up in A&E needing a catheter to sort it out. Partly because it's grim but mainly because one of my work colleagues would have the pleasure of putting the catheter in! Poor them!! Fingers crossed for some proper wees tonight!!

(Sorry if TMI, you can probably tell I'm a nurse!!)

londonchick Sun 09-Mar-14 16:23:01

Meant to say that retroverted wombs can be hereditary hence the reason why I mentioned my mum had one!

nyldn Sun 09-Mar-14 17:01:45

Hi all - adding myself in. Have my 20 week scan on Wed - excited and nervous!!!

Funnyfish2, 39, DC2, 29 July
Weeza13, 35, DC1, 29 July
2beornot, 32. DC2, 30 July
nyldn, 34, DC1, 1 August - Boy
PinaColadas, 26, DC1, 1 August - TEAM YELLOW
nocheeseplease, ??, DC4, 1 August
Itssofluffyimgonnadie, 30, DC1, 2 August - TEAM YELLOW
Flymo79, 34, DC1, 2 August
memedragon, 30, DC1, 2 August
OveranxiousUnderated, 25, DC1, 3 August
DreamPhone, 28, DC1, 4th August
NameToBeDecided, 32, DC2, 5 August
Mummytobeandsoanxious2014, 38, DC2, 6 August - Girl
Shakshuka, 39, DC3, 7 August - GIRL
HungryHorace, 37, DC2, 7 August - TEAM YELLOW
AntoinetteCosway, 30, DC2, 7 August
NoIamAngelaHernandez, ??, DC? , 8 August
Countdownbegins, 28, DC1, 10 August
Travis, 35, DC2, 11 August
Tc80, 33, DC1, 11 August
Jenbee1, 35, DC1, 11 August - TEAM YELLOW
Mszeen, 31, DC3, 11 August
CakenTea, 31, DC2, 12 August
Sillymeagain, 35, DC4, 12 August
Cazbg, 31 , DC1, 12 August - TEAM YELLOW
onion19632, 33, DC2 13th August - TEAM YELLOW
Queenofgeeks, 40, DC2, 13th August
dontsqueezetheteabag, 31, DC1, 14 August
DuPainDuVinDuFromage, 31, DC2, 14 August - TEAM YELLOW
Ruggle, 39, DC1, 15 August - TEAM YELLOW
Missvaughan85, 28, DC2, 15 August
ClarissaG, 35, DC1, 15 August
Owlysims, 25, DC2, 15 August
Lakeofdreams, 30, DC1 16 August
Lynnieboo , 34, DC1, 18 August
FriendofDorothy, 38, DC2, 18 August
DichotoMous, 28, DC1, 18 August - TEAM YELLOW
ScienceGeekGirl, 29, DC1, 19 August
MrsGarlic, 25, DC2, 19 August
Flusteredmumto2, 27, DC3, 19 August
Londonchick, 31, DC1, 19 August
Finnable, 30, DC1, 20 August
Thatsnotmyfigure, 41, DC2, 20 August
Lissbug, 43, DC1, 21 August.
Lucyfluff, 31, DC4, 22 August
Crazylady2013, DC1, 35, 22 August
Hewhodares, DC3, 40, 22 August
BunnyBaby, 37, DC3, 23 August
mssleepyhead, 32, DC1, 23 August
Pinkandwhite, 23 August
WeeJo08, 31, DC2, 25 August
UpQuarkDownQuark, 26, DC1, 25 August
Abimci, 32, DC1, 27 August
Mitchell81, 32, dc5, 28 August
eurochick, 38, DC1, 28 August
DisneyDiva87, 27, DC1, 28 August - TEAM YELLOW
Babyspice, 29, DC3, 31 August - TEAM YELLOW

DisneyDiva87 Sun 09-Mar-14 17:20:54

I've never heard of urine retention! sounds nasty, i hope you get some good wee's done tonight. This is quite a gross suggestion but just a thought... would it maybe help if you were to have a bath and try to go? maybe lying down would lift any pressure that is preventing you from going and provide the much needed relief? i don't know the cause so might be a rubbish suggestion.

i was out last night at a 21st birthday party and think i over did the standing and the dancing my back is really achy today but it was totally worth it.

londonchick Sun 09-Mar-14 17:42:04

A warm bath is a very good suggestion! I mentioned it to DH and he couldn't get over the thought of me weeing in the bath grin I'll give it a go later when he's forgotten about it!

lostlalaloopsy Sun 09-Mar-14 18:56:25

london I had this last week! it was torture - I was bursting but could only pee a tiny amount. I ended at my local hospital where they put in a catheter and drained 2 litres, the relief was wonderful. I also have a retroverted womb and I was constipated which made it all much worse. If it doesn't improve, get to drs as it is so uncomfortable.

londonchick Sun 09-Mar-14 19:12:37

Oh thanks lost! So good to know someone else has had it!! (Not good you had it but you know what I mean!!)

I will def speak to midwives in the morning and be prepared to go in!

Finnable Sun 09-Mar-14 20:56:07

Hello everyone! I lost you all for a while there, new thread managed to elude me... I'm blaming baby brain and not my general dippiness, anyway!

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to scans - mine's not till April 10th which seems YEARS away!

lostlalaloopsy Sun 09-Mar-14 21:08:10

I hope it gets resolved soon for you london. My midwfves were not helpful and told me to see them the following week if it had not resolved - thank goodness I didn't wait for that!

I looked into it and apparently sleeping on your front can help move the uterus back to where it should be, although it would not be comfortable with your full bladder!

Ruggle Mon 10-Mar-14 11:41:45

This might sound like a really dumb question, but why do lots of people (not on this board, just in general) have a puschair/pram/buggy and a second lighterweight puschair/pram/buggy for "nipping to the shops, park, walks and to use on public transport"? What on earth do they use the bigger/heavier one for? I have been investigating the Graco Evo Mini Stroller and the Baby Jogger City Mini as they are reasonably lightweight and both suitable from birth. The only thing I don't like is that they are forward facing. Anyway, is there any reason why I'd also need a bigger pushchair?

DisneyDiva87 Mon 10-Mar-14 11:45:25

Mine isn't till April 17th Finnable ages away, and I'll be 21 weeks by then too.

Did you get any relief London? Hope the MW app went well.

I'm still being plagued by tension headaches and I don't know whether it's worth booking an appointment with my Dr, I have a MW app next week so could hold off till then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now